• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

I love it from what little I've used it. I've discovered my affinity for high fire rates. You can master aim and control with a gun that has high fire rate but lowered stability. A gun that is stable but slow cannot be made to fire faster.

if you can aim, you won't need a gun to fire faster.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
But what about if there are 5 guys and you need them dead in 2 seconds?

You're dead anyway even with a faster firing gun. Three of them can nail you flat if they see you.

Grenade and a gun and pray for the best no matter the fire rate.

And I say this as someone that uses the SG553 while a lot of people sleep on it because "DAH FIRE RATE IS SLOW LOLZ"

Fire Rate has nothing to do in the equation outside of how fast you spit out damage. Good gun control no matter the fire rate is what will prevail most of the time.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Looks pretty different now, poor xbox one lol.

jbfW8l1Mx50jyd.png

PC and PS4 are clearly the main platforms for this game now.

Ko8XUdO.png

Acorn

I saw the writing on the wall last summer when I was playing BF3 on 360 and joined a server and the message was pro PS4.
MS fucked up. 360 was my main platform last gen with PS3 being a media center/exclusives machine. Now I have a ps4 and don't see myself getting an x1 anytime soon.

I was planning to continue being ms focused until their reveal disaster and price.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Battlefield has had more players online on PlayStation since BF3 and I have always attested that being so due to Call of Duty. Proof of that being that you'd have 4 Call of Duty games in the top 20 Xbox Live weekly activity list before you'd even see BF3.

And that even continues to this day because despite how bad of a rep Ghosts is getting, it has a minimum 5 times the amount of viewers that BF4 has on Twitch daily. This was the weakest reception CoD has ever had and DICE lost their best chance to win some new players because they rushed out an unfinished game. Should have just come out later with a working game and win over people like that instead.

Of all the things in this game that annoy me, bugs included, I think the thing that pisses me off the most is when someone takes a tank and does absolutely nothing with it. Every game tonight we have been getting pressured by tanks whilst trying to cap flags and our tanks are no where in sight. Check the map and they are off in the corners trying to take extremely long range shots at helicopters etc. Hop in the gunner seat and he just floats around the outskirts of the map looking for snipers etc, occasionally trying to get a chopper half way across the map.

/rant

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So what happened with this???? (From the Player Appreciation Month post):

First, we are further improving a number of items commonly referred to as “netcode”. This will tighten the overall multiplayer experience, and we will be able to share these items with you in detail soon.

In February, we’re also re-introducing the fan favorite feature Platoons in its first iteration

We’re also working on other feature additions that you’ve been asking for – stay tuned for more.

Milennia

I think this is a bad time to look at these numbers and draw comparisons. First, Japan just got their ps4's and are likely playing them like mad. Second, everyone is hopping on here to play second assault.

it was like this before japan got their PS4s, months before in fact.
also the same, if not larger numbers before even china rising launched, and that was free for everyone who preordered or got a first run copy.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think this is a bad time to look at these numbers and draw comparisons. First, Japan just got their ps4's and are likely playing them like mad. Second, everyone is hopping on here to play second assault.

LOL. Someone hasn't been paying attention to the launch... reception has been lukewarm there at best.

Looking at those player numbers is stupid since the numbers fluctuate throughout the day. There's no solid data to be gained from looking at player numbers.

"My platform is the bettah!"
"No you, this new updated snapshot I got says *my* platform is the bettah!"
"No you!"
"No you!"
"No!"

Any tips for getting the kill assist ribbons to unlock the F2000?

FWIW, for anyone going for the GOL, here's what worked for me:
  • OP Firestorm (forget Caspian, the tower gets taken down too quickly)
  • I used the M40A5 (high rate of fire suited me)
  • I used a 6X scope and canted ironsights; while it's tempting to use a high power scope for longer sniping from the tower, I found it too difficult to get enough kills that way in time. Similarly while a 3.4 or 4X scope is tempting for close stuff, you'll need more magnification for the tower. The 6X and iron sights combo worked really well for me.
  • The bipod might be useful for long range stuff generally, but here the straight pull is better if you have it. If you don't I'd say you're better off without anything.
  • The very first platform of the tower counts, so do it from there.
  • I generally C4'd the tower burn off switch at the base of the ladder, and put a TUGS on the first platform. I think if you're standing on the first platform and set off the C4 for a kill, it will count towards your 5 from the tower. You can also drop C4 over the side to good effect when people are about to get on the ladder.
  • Most of your kills from the platform will be on infantry who are running down the hill from C towards D (which is where you are, if I have the flags right). You can also pick off some running in from the direction of E.
  • Don't forget that you can shoot down through the floor of the platform (and this is a tactic you'll be using a fair bit).
  • A lot if it will depend upon how your team is doing around you, but once I'd settled on the approach above I actually got it first time.

Milennia

Any tips for getting the kill assist ribbons to unlock the F2000?

FWIW, for anyone going for the GOL, here's what worked for me:
  • OP Firestorm (forget Caspian, the tower gets taken down too quickly)
  • I used the M40A5 (high rate of fire suited me)
  • I used a 6X scope and canted ironsights; while it's tempting to use a high power scope for longer sniping from the tower, I found it too difficult to get enough kills that way in time. Similarly while a 3.4 or 4X scope is tempting for close stuff, you'll need more magnification for the tower. The 6X and iron sights combo worked really well for me.
  • The bipod might be useful for long range stuff generally, but here the straight pull is better if you have it. If you don't I'd say you're better off without anything.
  • The very first platform of the tower counts, so do it from there.
  • I generally C4'd the tower burn off switch at the base of the ladder, and put a TUGS on the first platform. I think if you're standing on the first platform and set off the C4 for a kill, it will count towards your 5 from the tower. You can also drop C4 over the side to good effect when people are about to get on the ladder.
  • Most of your kills from the platform will be on infantry who are running down the hill from C towards D (which is where you are, if I have the flags right). You can also pick off some running in from the direction of E.
  • Don't forget that you can shoot down through the floor of the platform (and this is a tactic you'll be using a fair bit).
  • A lot if it will depend upon how your team is doing around you, but once I'd settled on the approach above I actually got it first time.

spam nade and 40mm on metro, us or russian side.
(you will have more luck on the russian side for obvious reasons)

turnbuckle

Haven't been playing much lately. Some of the new assignments and the lack of a level cap bump make me feel like holding out until private servers become a thing. Something with more tickets so I have a better chance of actually achieving some of those nutty assignments.

Filled out the survey. 5/10 for recommending game to other fans of the genre
10/10 on likely to discourage. Cited tick rate, netcode, and glitches. Said the game would be much closer to a 10 if those were fixed. I like the core game a ton but man they really botched this game.

RS4-

wtf, I try to play a match for the first time in 2 months, I get into the match, but I can't select my class, can't do anything but tab out or look at the overhead map.

Played it for my first time tonight. Just as awful as always. It amazes me that there are people out there who enjoy that map. Just wow.

What is not to enjoy? I agree its silly that one side pretty much is guaranteed to win, and that kind of sucks, but a big old gun battle after some solid objective playing is a nice change.

Two server crashes and rubberbanding on SA yesterday. FFS DICE

Edit: here's a great question - do you think rubberbanding will be present in custom servers?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Edit: here's a great question - do you think rubberbanding will be present in custom servers?
Since those are the same servers... yes.

Hopefully it gets fixed before that.

I've played this most of yesterday and saturday, I have to say, I did see a little bit of rubberbanding going on, but for the most part, I had a pretty buttery smooth experience across all 4 of the new maps. Metro is NUTS.. they need routes to get from A>C and C>A, but man, that map is CRAZY.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member

Yeah, I noticed that the rubber banding was bad too, which is funny considering that I noted that I didn't get any rubber banding on Second Assault Friday or Saturday nights at all and way less on vanilla maps. Came back last night with a vengeance though.

To answer the question, yes, unless DICE finally realizes how to optimize their game like most every other PS4 game has already done at this point.

JJD

if you can aim, you won't need a gun to fire faster.

Fire rate is probably one of the most important characteristics of a gun on this game.

If you engage someone running with a MTAR or AEK with a SAR21 for example you better be more than 50 meters away or hope he hasn't seen you because if you're equally skilled you're going down.

You're dead anyway even with a faster firing gun. Three of them can nail you flat if they see you.

Grenade and a gun and pray for the best no matter the fire rate.

And I say this as someone that uses the SG553 while a lot of people sleep on it because "DAH FIRE RATE IS SLOW LOLZ"

Fire Rate has nothing to do in the equation outside of how fast you spit out damage. Good gun control no matter the fire rate is what will prevail most of the time.

At close range gun control is not really a problem for practically all guns except SMGs at full auto. At mid range most average players can deal with recoil on AR and Carbines (the most used guns).

Rate of fire is one of the most important gun stats and the SG553 is so good precisely because it has a pretty great rate of fire at 830 (third best carbine ROF behind only the MTAR and ACWR). Anyone saying it is slow have not taken a look at it's stats. I have more than 500 kills with it, it's a great gun. You're confusing it's BF3 ROF with it's BF4 version. The 553 got a nice little bump in it's stats.

Since those are the same servers... yes.

Hopefully it gets fixed before that.
I just wonder if they're using underpowered servers that would be appropriately powered once we start footing the bill.

Now there's rubberbanding on 2nd Ass maps? That was the one thing it had going for it!
i read an interesting comment on reddit: a few people said its only happening on east coast servers.

---

So there are three SA Oblit servers in NA?

I play mostly central servers and haven't had any consistent rubber-banding. If it is there, it's pretty obvious it's specific to that server that I'm playing on.

However, I have not been able to play any version of Op Metro for more than 5 mins without a crash/lock up.

SJS

And that even continues to this day because despite how bad of a rep Ghosts is getting, it has a minimum 5 times the amount of viewers that BF4 has on Twitch daily. This was the weakest reception CoD has ever had

Well, it's not really that Ghosts is the worst COD. Actually, it's better than MW3 and BO2. It's just that MW2 started a decline in the series by instituting linear map design, weak perk balance, and extremely overpowered weapons. The people who really appreciated the series before MW2 - myself formerly included - had a mentality that MW2 would be an exception to the rule of good CODs. And BO1 gave just enough reason for hope for COD players to stick around for MW3 and BO2, so that's why you're only seeing the COD hate in full force now.

The other primary factor in this is that COD has classically been 60 FPS on consoles while Battlefield has not. This has changed with BF4, and it's a significant reason why "former" COD players like myself have "switched sides".

You're right to note, though, that BF4's launch has prevented DICE from siphoning COD fans. I didn't cross over until three months post-release.

SJS

But anyway, came into this topic to ask a few things.

- Sometimes, with the SRAW, my rocket plunges into the ground for no reason even though I'm not suppressed and keep my sights aimed on a target. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

- Occasionally, with a DMR, I'll get four hit markers before I kill someone. (They're supposed to get three.) What's the deal?

- For now, I've just stuck with the default tank loadouts. Is there any reason that I should change them? Also, is this the cause of some tanks not having tank machine-gun seats?

JJD

But anyway, came into this topic to ask a few things.

- Sometimes, with the SRAW, my rocket plunges into the ground for no reason even though I'm not suppressed and keep my sights aimed on a target. Does anyone have an explanation for this?

- Occasionally, with a DMR, I'll get four hit markers before I kill someone. (They're supposed to get three.) What's the deal?

- For now, I've just stuck with the default tank loadouts. Is there any reason that I should change them? Also, is this the cause of some tanks not having tank machine-gun seats?

I've never seen this SRAW issue, but the rocket goes of target or completely vanishes is you're killed before it hits the target.

DMRs are 3 hit kills at any distance since the last balance patch. Maybe you were hitting another player?

My tank load outs depends on the map and on the engagements I will have. If I know I'll face a lot of infantry I run HE to deal with the armor and the HMG to deal with soldiers (this is my most used tank load out), if I'm engaging a lot of armor on medium or small maps I run HE and Staff shell, if I'm playing on big maps Sabot and Staff.

You will usually benefit from having situation specifics loadouts compared to an all purpose one.

It's a shame we can't save a few load outs for each class or vehicle for ease of use.

Did you really jumped ship from COD just because the 60FPS thing? I'm asking because I'll always consider the gameplay before performance. I could never get into COD because I don't really like it's mechanics, and I love BF because of it's gameplay regardless of how many frames it's running.

I play mostly central servers and haven't had any consistent rubber-banding. If it is there, it's pretty obvious it's specific to that server that I'm playing on.

However, I have not been able to play any version of Op Metro for more than 5 mins without a crash/lock up.

There are no central servers. Unless I'm mistaken, there are only east coast or west coast servers.

SJS

I've never seen this SRAW issue, but the rocket goes of target or completely vanishes is you're killed before it hits the target.

I know that sometimes the missile doesn't draw on-screen, but what I'm describing is the rocket *literally* plunging downward at random intervals. I also (and I forgot to mention this) have sometimes seen my rocket contact a tank with an enemy and I don't get a hit credit added to my score. The SRAW is really weird for me at times.

DMRs are 3 hit kills at any distance since the last balance patch. Maybe you were hitting another player?

Nope, at least not from what I remember. The last time it happened to me was when I spotted someone in the water on Hainan and proceeded to shoot.

My tank load outs depends on the map and on the engagements I will have. If I know I'll face a lot of infantry I run HE to deal with the armor and the HMG to deal with soldiers (this is my most used tank load out), if I'm engaging a lot of armor on medium or small maps I run HE and Staff shell, if I'm playing on big maps Sabot and Staff.

You will usually benefit from having situation specifics loadouts compared to an all purpose one.

It's a shame we can't save a few load outs for each class or vehicle for ease of use.

Hm. I'll do some experimenting later. Thanks for the tips.

Did you really jumped ship from COD just because the 60FPS thing? I'm asking because I'll always consider the gameplay before performance. I could never get into COD because I don't really like it's mechanics, and I love BF because of it's gameplay regardless of how many frames it's running.

Well, it was a contributing factor. As I said, MW2 is when the series really began to go down the shitter as a cash-in. There's been a lot of gradual problems accumulating in COD with no one to stop them: the linear map design that makes everyone ridiculously predictable, the zero recoil / high damage weaponry coming about (i.e. this wasn't featured in WaW for the most part), the perk balance going awry, important techs at the disposal of veteran players getting removed (i.e. YY cancel for reloads and weapon switches, which are apparently removed to prevent modding even though it's not really an issue), soundwhoring still existing and actually getting buffed per each game, Stalker disrupting class balance and preventing constant ADS from getting punished, etc. If you go back and play WaW, it's like you're playing another game series.

Mechanics wise, COD used to have interesting stuff like attachments with unique effects on each gun and animation cancels, and this kept me interested; but that's gone now. Having tried Battlefield now, it's clearly the superior game mechnically by the virtue of the number of mechanics alone. I mean, it's not perfect by any means - I can get no points for repairing a tank I was just in if no one else is in it regardless of the fact that I was wrecking people with it and the randomized bullet distribution has its pros and cons, but there's a carefully engineered depth to how everything works.There's a lot to appreciate.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
I know that sometimes the missile doesn't draw on-screen, but what I'm describing is the rocket *literally* plunging downward at random intervals. I also (and I forgot to mention this) have sometimes seen my rocket contact a tank with an enemy and I don't get a hit credit added to my score. The SRAW is really weird for me at times.

Nope, at least not from what I remember. The last time it happened to me was when I spotted someone in the water on Hainan and proceeded to shoot.

Well, it was a contributing factor. As I said, MW2 is when the series really began to go down the shitter as a cash-in. There's been a lot of gradual problems accumulating in COD with no one to stop them: the linear map design that makes everyone ridiculously predictable, the zero recoil / high damage weaponry coming about (i.e. this wasn't featured in WaW for the most part), the perk balance going awry, important techs at the disposal of veteran players getting removed (i.e. YY cancel for reloads and weapon switches, which are apparently removed to prevent modding even though it's not really an issue), soundwhoring still existing and actually getting buffed per each game, Stalker disrupting class balance and preventing constant ADS from getting punished, etc. If you go back and play WaW, it's like you're playing another game series.

Mechanics wise, COD used to have interesting stuff like attachments with unique effects on each gun and animation cancels, and this kept me interested; but that's gone now. Having tried Battlefield now, it's clearly the superior game mechnically by the virtue of the number of mechanics alone. I mean, it's not perfect by any means - I can get no points for repairing a tank I was just in if no one else is in it regardless of the fact that I was wrecking people with it and the randomized bullet distribution has its pros and cons, but there's a carefully engineered depth to how everything works.There's a lot to appreciate.

I have seen similar things with the SRAW once in a great while. I noticed that it seems to happen with active protection being activated. May just be a coincidence, but I can attest that I have seen this.

Tank loadout, i use AP shell and staff shell. It gives you a really good 1-2 punch on other armor and the AP has the largest splash damage and the least shell drop, so you have a little something to use against infantry when you need it. I switched from HE to AP shell about a month ago and have been very happy with the result.

If you were using an sks, it's possible to get 4 shot kills. It has the least damage of the dmr class and if you are hitting legs or arms it can be up to a 4 shot kill. So while the sks has a great rate of fire and stable follow up shots, it doesn't always produce a 3sk. I prefer to use the mk11 myself, good damage, fast reload and good projectile speed.

I swear by the HE shell and Staff shell. It's mostly built for tank vs tank battles though. HE does the most damage per hit on a tank and I quite like the arc that it has. Staff shell is mainly for sniping.

Top Bottom