• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

SJS

If you were using an sks, it's possible to get 4 shot kills. It has the least damage of the dmr class and if you are hitting legs or arms it can be up to a 4 shot kill. So while the sks has a great rate of fire and stable follow up shots, it doesn't always produce a 3sk. I prefer to use the mk11 myself, good damage, fast reload and good projectile speed.

I main the ACE 53 SV, so that's not what's happening. (I think.)

JJD

Hm. I'll do some experimenting later. Thanks for the tips

I think the best advice I can give you about tanks is this: Regardless of load outs, don't think that because you're well protected running armor you have to be on the front lines fighting at all times, leading your team against dozens of engies and other vehicles, trying to open the way. Let the infantry do their job: be the cannon fodder. Play the middle game, support your infantry and prioritize enemy armor when possible.

Tanks/IFV are an invaluable asset and a good tank driver can be a deciding factor helping his team win a tough game.

If you're alone and you know there are more than 2 enemies on an objective the best course of action 99% of the time is to not rush in and wait for squad support. Objective hounds (like me) get killed by C4 a lot since proximity sensor doesn't work like it used to in BF3.

In BF4 a team of two good engineers can be a huge headache for a tank considering the amount of tools they have to deal with armor, from RPGs, fire and forget rockets to mines/SLAMS...not to mention two other classes running with C4.

I used to rush in objectives a lot when driving armor, and while I killed a lot of people and sometimes captured the flag, I died just as often. A smart infantry player than can't engage armor will just stay out of the capture zone while the armor is there and come back as soon as you leave making your effort and risk to get the flag useless.

Lately I'm making an effort to be more smart when I'm driving armor. I'm killing almost as many people and dying considerably less. As far as capturing the objectives goes I'm being as successful as my team let me be. If I get a little bit of support I can capture most flags without dying.

Yesterday I was having a great game with Dawn on Hainan on the IFV. I was running around the map killing a lot of people, supporting teammates capturing flags when I made a dumb mistake on D (the flag on that destroyed tanker) trying to capture the flag just by ourselves.

There were at least 3 enemies there so we couldn't capture it. The enemies were hidden not engaging us, but I couldn't get then either because of the amount of cover and I was afraid of rushing then because C4.

Then I saw the attack boat on the distance and decided to get rid of it before he could get closer to support his teammates. As soon as I got in the water and started shooting at him the engineers saw that I was not focused on then and started spamming me with the MBT Law. My Active Protection (use Active Protection is the best countermeasure) couldn't save me for much longer and they had a lot of cover to protected themselves of my shots. It was a dumb mistake, we died quickly after a glorious kill streak of over 20.

When I was still in the spawn screen I saw that 3 people for my team were already fighting for the flag. If I had been more cautious I could be alive helping then and we would definitely get the flag.

Edit: Try to always spot the road ahead. Spotting mines doesn't work as well as it did in BF3 but it will still save your ass a few times. Slams are even harder to spot IMO but most people are dumb and plant then on obvious places. And stay mobile, don't camp on one spot, don't make yourself an easy target for people RPG sniping or C4 runners. Always check the big map (select + R1 or L1) to see were the enemy armor is then flank then if possible. I do this all the time.

I have seen similar things with the SRAW once in a great while. I noticed that it seems to happen with active protection being activated. May just be a coincidence, but I can attest that I have seen this.

Tank loadout, i use AP shell and staff shell. It gives you a really good 1-2 punch on other armor and the AP has the largest splash damage and the least shell drop, so you have a little something to use against infantry when you need it. I switched from HE to AP shell about a month ago and have been very happy with the result.

AP has less shell drop than Sabot? Are you sure?

I know it's the best shell do deal with infantry with a good splash damage but never knew about shell drop.

I just don't use it because I prefer to deal with infantry with the HMG, but maybe I should give it a try.

As far as I know the only advantage the Sabot has is range and drop making it easier to hit enemy armor at long ranges. It hits a little bit less hard than the AP and has next to no splash damage.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
I think the best advice I can give you about tanks is this: Regardless of load outs, don't think that because you're well protected running armor you have to be on the front lines fighting at all times, leading your team against dozens of engies and other vehicles, trying to open the way. Let the infantry do their job: be the cannon fodder. Play the middle game, support your infantry and prioritize enemy armor when possible.

Tanks/IFV are an invaluable asset and a good tank driver can be a deciding factor helping his team win a tough game.

If you're alone and you know there are more than 2 enemies on an objective the best course of action 99% of the time is to not rush in and wait for squad support. Objective hounders (like me) get C4 a lot since proximity sensor doesn't work like it used to in BF3.

In BF4 a team of two good engineers can be a huge headache for a tank considering the amount of tools they have to deal with armor, from RPGs, fire and forget rockets and mines/SLAMS...not to mention two other classes running with C4.

I used to rush in objectives a lot when driving armor, and while I killed a lot of people and sometimes captured the flag, I died just as often. A smart infantry player than can't engage armor will just stay out of the capture zone while the armor is there and come back as soon as you leave making your effort and risk to get the flag useless.

Lately I'm making an effort to be more smart when I'm driving armor. I'm killing almost as many people and dying considerably less. As far as capturing the objectives goes I'm being as successful as my team let me be. If I get a little bit of support I can capture most flags without dying.

Yesterday I was having a great game with Dawn on Hainan on the IFV. I was running around the map killing a lot of people, supporting teammates capturing flags when I made a dumb mistake on D (the flag on that destroyed tanker) trying to capture the flag just by ourselves.

There were at least 3 enemies there so we couldn't capture it. The enemies were hidden not engaging us, but I couldn't get then either because of the amount of cover and I was afraid of rushing then because C4.

Then I saw the attack boat on the distance and decided to get rid of it before he could get closer to support his teammates. As soon as I got in the water and started shooting at him the engineers saw that I was not focused on then and started spamming me with the MBT Law. My Active Protection (use Active Protection is the best countermeasure) couldn't save me for much longer and they had a lot of cover to protected themselves of my shots. It was a dumb mistake, we died quickly after a glorious kill streak of over 20.

When I was still in the spawn screen I saw that 3 people for my team were already fighting for the flag. If I had been more cautious I could be alive helping then and we would definitely get the flag.

Edit: And stay mobile, don't camp on one spot, don't make yourself an easy target for people RPG sniping or C4 runners. Always check the big map (select + R1 or L1) to see were the enemy armor is then flank then if possible. I do this all the time.

AP has less shell drop than Sabot? Are you sure?

I know it's the best shell do deal with infantry with a good splash damage but never knew about shell drop.

I just don't use it because I prefer to deal with infantry with the HMG, but maybe I should give it a try.

As far as I know the only advantage the Sabot has is range and drop making it easier to hit enemy armor at long ranges. It hits a little bit less hard than the AP and has next to no splash damage.

sabot may have less drop, I can't remember for sure, but the AP has way less drop than the HE and I find that really useful for engaging armor at distance, plus effectiveness against infantry. When I used HE at anything more than 50 yards, I had to adjust my aim back and forth when switching from HE to staff and on top of it, a gunner was a requirement to help with infantry. With the AP/Staff set up, I can switch back and forth and not have to adjust my aim much at all, except for very long distances. The added splash for infantry is huge and i can now do huge damage to the opposing team solo and when I have a gunner, it just becomes beast mode.

JJD

sabot may have less drop, I can't remember for sure, but the AP has way less drop than the HE and I find that really useful for engaging armor at distance, plus effectiveness against infantry. When I used HE at anything more than 50 yards, I had to adjust my aim back and forth when switching from HE to staff and on top of it, a gunner was a requirement to help with infantry. With the AP/Staff set up, I can switch back and forth and not have to adjust my aim much at all, except for very long distances. The added splash for infantry is huge and i can now do huge damage to the opposing team solo and when I have a gunner, it just becomes beast mode.

Sabot has the least amount of drop, I'm almost certain. And the HE has the most. Hitting targets at long range with it is a pain in the ass.

One of the best tank drivers I've ever played with (gaffer Chevyfanatic) uses the same load out as you. I should definitely give AP another try, it's just that I'm so used of running solo and relying on the HMG that I always thought I had to compensate somehow for not using staff when I fought armor on smaller maps, hence why I use HE.

Think I done attempting to play this game until the next patch. Everytime I try to play a SA map or even a normal map, I get the sound loop crash, memory leak, or the game just freezes up on me. Bf has always been my favorite fps and I can get over the bugs and glitches.

Same here man. I had 5 crashes in about 15 minutes. I just decided to give up on it. Worst part is I was playing perfectly until the latest patch. Real bummer.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
Sabot has the least amount of drop, I'm almost certain. And the HE has the most. Hitting targets at long range with it is a pain in the ass.

One of the best tank drivers I've ever played with (gaffer Chevyfanatic) uses the same load out as you. I should definitely give AP another try, it's just that I'm so used of running solo and relying on the HMG that I always thought I had to compensate somehow for not using staff when I fought armor on smaller maps, hence why I use HE.

If you do end up solo, you may need to adjust your play a little (not that I know how you play). With the AP/Staff, I like to support the infantry and move in behind them. I'll be more aggressive with a gunner on board.

So mmm where is the cruise missile in the commander abilities?

Your team has to cap & hold the objective associated with it, usually C. There should be a key to what objective gives what commander perk right on the screen.

h2bKso7.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7YE9VnSesk

That much maligned DICE QA at work.

This isn't even funny anymore.

I didn't have problems taking off on Caspian? Pull up while pressing forward. But I only took off one time to rush to E for Kane. So I haven't put too much time into it.

Speaking of tanks: Guided Shell change is so hilariously awful it's absurd.

Throw in the same problem the SOFLAM of BF3 before it was fixed (TARGET TARGET T--OH A NEW ONE! LET ME TRY TO LOC--NO LET'S GO BACK TO THE PREVI--NO THIS NEW--NO...) even on Javelin's and other lock-on stuff that isn't the Stinger/IG-LA and... yeah. Awful.

I think if you use afterburners, you can take off just fine from the short runways.

Still, how fucking hard is it to do a simple measurement of the minimum runway needed to take off, without afterburners, and extend the runway?

Milennia

i use strictly saff/sabot.
i snipe enemy vehicles cross map and have no issue winning v vs. v at any range.

however picking off infantry without a gunner is annoying as fuck for me.

Ocho

i use strictly saff/sabot.
i snipe enemy vehicles cross map and have no issue winning v vs. v at any range.

however picking off infantry without a gunner is annoying as fuck for me.

Couldn't live without my HMG. Most of my kills are by the HMG.

Phenom X4 940 @ 3.5ghz
4GB DDR2 1066Mhz
Radeon 260x 2GB
1680x1050 res

Do I have any hope of a workable framerate on medium-ish?

I want to move from 360 to PC, but damn them for no demo.

Seanspeed

Banned
I've probably done like 5-6 matches now and am only 75% of my way to rank 24.

Progression is total horseshit.

As great as this game is, I just find myself playing a couple matches, not having a lot of fun because I'm not a pro at it like everybody else seems to be, and just not coming back for several days.

I had a lot more fun when playing BF3 on the 360. I think I might go back to playing 24-32 player servers. Its too fucking messy otherwise and I'm far too gone to try and learn how to use vehicles at this point(its a waste of time).

will run it good, may want to bump up amount of ram (if possible, I know how expensive older ram can be), 4gb can fill quick with the os + game. Cpu and gpu are decent though. My bro plays with an x4 970, 8gb ddr3 and a gtx 460 768mb at med pretty damn well actually, so you should be golden with a better gpu than his

Very nice. Yeah I'm kinda locked in to that RAM but hopefully it won't bottleneck me too much. Thanks

Metro in 2014.

BF GAF: If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with the developer power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you released it, and advertised it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now

[bangs on the table]

BF GAF: you're selling it, you wanna sell it. Well...

DICE: I don't think you're giving us our due credit. Our developers have done things which nobody's ever done before...

BF GAF: Yeah, yeah, but your developers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should

Learn the maps? I'm not sure what you mean.

How the respawn system's implementation works in small-map modes like TDM. Where the enemy can literally respawn right behind you 2 seconds after you spawn. It's just so lame. Last night in a round, in 3 consecutive respawns I was shot in the back within 3 seconds of spawning. It's probably the most frustrating experience I've had in a FPS.

I know, solution: don't play TDM. That's misses the point.

Fuuu, my internet has been out for 4 days, started to have withdrawals...as much as I complain about little glitches and annoyances in this game I still do love it.

If you're alone and you know there are more than 2 enemies on an objective the best course of action 99% of the time is to not rush in and wait for squad support. Objective hounds (like me) get killed by C4 a lot since proximity sensor doesn't work like it used to in BF3.

In BF4 a team of two good engineers can be a huge headache for a tank considering the amount of tools they have to deal with armor, from RPGs, fire and forget rockets to mines/SLAMS...not to mention two other classes running with C4.

Whenever I play with JJD I usually do exactly as he described above, I'll always wait for infantry support before I go in around a flag to capture it, which is most often him and maybe a few other gaffers. It's just way too hard to watch out for people with C4, engineers with a myriad of anti armor weapons to use, and also enemy armor all at the same time while capping a flag by yourself.

Yeah, AP is a great middle ground shell since it doesn't have that much drop and you can use it much more effectively against infantry versus the HE or SABOT. The splash damage helps tremendously when fighting infantry if you choose to run the STAFF as secondary over HMG/LMG/Canister. I will use an AP shell a lot of times at long range and if I don't kill an infantry player I can usually follow up with a STAFF shell to take what little health they still have away. Say there's someone on a roof with a launcher, I'll bounce a AP/STAFF back to back off of something behind them utilizing the splash damage to kill them.

I don't think a lot of people realize the STAFF has decent splash damage, they tend to overlook it as an infantry fighting weapon.

How the respawn system's implementation works in small-map modes like TDM. Where the enemy can literally respawn right behind you 2 seconds after you spawn. It's just so lame. Last night in a round, in 3 consecutive respawns I was shot in the back within 3 seconds of spawning. It's probably the most frustrating experience I've had in a FPS.

I've never seen that, even in TDM, which I admittedly play very little of. Not near 3 seconds anyhow. That would be frustrating.

TDM is shit though. Seems a shame to play that mode in a Battlefield game. IMO of course.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Finally ran out of soldier portraits to unlock. Jesus. Of course, now they can pad all of my battlepacks with endless emblem shapes and some more XP boosts.

I've never seen that, even in TDM, which I admittedly play very little of. Not near 3 seconds anyhow. That would be frustrating.

TDM is shit though. Seems a shame to play that mode in a Battlefield game. IMO of course.
I assure you I was |-------------| this close to throwing my controller, and I never lose my cool with videogames. It was absolutely infuriating.

I know, I need to stop playing TDM. I just...

...when you've played FPS games a certain way for a decade, it's hard to change it up. Rather, your favorite modes and game types tend to stay the same. It's the comfort zone. IDK. I'll get myself together and move onto Conquest, Rush and similar.

Milennia

Finally ran out of soldier portraits to unlock. Jesus. Of course, now they can pad all of my battlepacks with endless emblem shapes and some more XP boosts.

I ran out of soldier portraits day one, however there is a bug where they keep giving them to you, meaning its wasted battlepack space.

I get them everytime.

terrible

Banned

It definitely happens a lot. Not sure they actually spawn behind you as much as the game just spawns you in front of people though.

TDM is surprisingly fun in BF4 imo. It's fun to go to that once in a while after playing a lot of CQ.

Same here man. I had 5 crashes in about 15 minutes. I just decided to give up on it. Worst part is I was playing perfectly until the latest patch. Real bummer.

Yeah, every time DICE release a patch, the people whos game ran fine, crashes. And the people whos game crashes, will now run fine.

oh, I meant the fact that 64 bit exe is allowed to use more ram than 32

Oh, OK. Sort of. The OS makes it available really. So I think you had it backwards, if I understood you correctly.

32 bit Windows is only allowed to address something like 3.1GB, and that's before you subtract the memory on board your GPU.

A 64-bit OS is not limited in that way, so I'd want to make sure I was running a 64-bit OS because I need every bit of memory I have.

I main the ACE 53 SV, so that's not what's happening. (I think.)

The ACE should always get 3 shot kills. Not really sure what is going on bro! I will just stick with my mk11, always getting those 3 or less shot kills. :)

Metro in 2014.

BF GAF: If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with the developer power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you released it, and advertised it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now

[bangs on the table]

BF GAF: you're selling it, you wanna sell it. Well...

DICE: I don't think you're giving us our due credit. Our developers have done things which nobody's ever done before...

BF GAF: Yeah, yeah, but your developers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should
But we did it to ourselves elzar, we did it to ourselves....

I assure you I was |-------------| this close to throwing my controller, and I never lose my cool with videogames. It was absolutely infuriating.

I know, I need to stop playing TDM. I just...

...when you've played FPS games a certain way for a decade, it's hard to change it up. Rather, your favorite modes and game types tend to stay the same. It's the comfort zone. IDK. I'll get myself together and move onto Conquest, Rush and similar.

Yeah, another game type is what the doctor is ordering. TDM just isn't for battlefield, class based gametypes just don't work well in the DM/TDM environment. I would say try some Obliteration. The action is always concentrated at the bomb carrier and can almost seem like a TDM style mode with everyone going for the same area. I just don't think you are going to be able to scratch that deathmatch itch with Battlefield, just isn't that type of shooter. Also, play with GAFers when you can.

Shouldn't have to.

Just use them. Everyone else does and it is the only way you can rank up/unlock things faster and get closer to the same gear playing field as others. And play more too and with GAF at that.

Creaking

I ran out of soldier portraits day one, however there is a bug where they keep giving them to you, meaning its wasted battlepack space.

I get them everytime.

Are you sure? I thought they just added more portraits at some point (I recall there being fewer portraits, locked or otherwise, when I first checked them out).

Milennia

Are you sure? I thought they just added more portraits at some point (I recall there being fewer portraits, locked or otherwise, when I first checked them out).

Nope, just the initial ones and the premium ones.
I have maybe gotten about 15 extras that don't do anything at this point.

Creaking

Joiizus crhisst

I hope EA sets up a pay-for-battlepacks system soon so that it can get vicious backlash and they have to figure out a way to keep giving them to players without charging. Should be something like one Gold pack for every service star. Or one silver pack, but you can combine two silvers for a gold. The one gold for these community missions is not a good enough incentive.

Kabuto

so I think Battlefield 4 is making my computer have a memory leak. Every time I load up a game, my computer just lags hard and my task manager says Battlefield 4 is using up >90% of my CPU and memory. I then get kicked from the game I was trying to join.

TheSeks

so I think Battlefield 4 is making my computer have a memory leak. Every time I load up a game, my computer just lags hard and my task manager says Battlefield 4 is using up >90% of my CPU and memory. I then get kicked from the game I was trying to join.

That's what I said. It freezes at like 2gigs RAM used and then the disk is majorly used. Running task manager through start works but CTRL-ALT-DEL (old Taskmanager way) lags hard.

It's weird. The game itself is mostly optimized so I'm not sure where it's leaking.

mitchman

Gold Member
Shouldn't have to.

Then you will lag behind everybody else.

That's what I said. It freezes at like 2gigs RAM used and then the disk is majorly used. Running task manager through start works but CTRL-ALT-DEL (old Taskmanager way) lags hard.

It's weird. The game itself is mostly optimized so I'm not sure where it's leaking.

Sounds like you have too little memory and the OS is swapping to disk.

Kinda glad its not just me, I even try moving my ram into a different slots. What are your computer specs?

i5-3570k , 8 gigs of ram, HD 7970 GHz OC 3GB, windows 8 64bit, uysing mantle and Catalysis 14.1 beta

Sounds like you have too little memory and the OS is swapping to disk.
Its deff not my memory or OS. BF4 is the only game that causes a memory leak.

DarkFlow

Banned
I'm still getting Sound Loop crashes. I've about given up, even if I don't really want too. Once TitanFall drops I think I'll be gone for a good long time and it's a shame really, I love BF. I should not be crashing like crazy with a damn i5-4670k and a GTX 780.

-Deimos

I'm still getting Sound Loop crashes. I've about given up, even if I don't really want too. Once TitanFall drops I think I'll be gone for a good long time and it's a shame really, I love BF. I should not be crashing like crazy with a damn i5-4670k and a GTX 780.

Have you tried re-installing? I can't remember the last time I crashed.

TheSeks

Have you tried re-installing? I can't remember the last time I crashed.

...That's a stupid suggestion, no offense.

It has nothing to do with his install and has everything to do with Second Assault's patch. Sound loop crashes on Metro happen for EVERY platform, but the PC most notable. It's so bad that DICE had to put up a note about them "working on a fix" on Battlelog's forums.

TheSeks

Maybe it's all a ploy to drive us to buy Titanfall. Watch, it will work like a charm in a month

Too bad for them the only TF worth buying is "Team Fortress"

Braindead AI in a 6v6 CoD clone is no sale for me.

Top Bottom