• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

Enosh

man, 3 games* in a row of the same mechanics and people still don't use the damn spot button -.-

*iirc bf2 and 2142 also had some spot system (I'm quite sure there was a weapon in 2142 that spotted enemies when you aimed a them) but bc2, bf3 and now bf4 use the exact same "press q red triangles appear" mechanic

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I guess I'm just one of those gross people that like to play TDM in Battlefield.

TDM in BF3 was alright, even if it had shitty spawns. BF4's isn't that great, but it's a good "turn your mind off" casual mode.

I don't think I've played more than like... 12 hours max of it though. Probably more than the DLC modes combined, though.

TDM is the faster way to unlock attachments, no doubt about that since they unlocked by getting kills with a specific weapon. But considering you always get a good sight with just 10 kills and the fact that after the last patch more often than not you're better off leaving your weapon naked with just the sights I just don't see the reason to grind TDM to unlock anything.

He's talking the guns, which are based on weapon XP. TDM isn't going to unlock anything faster there. Attachments is where TDM unlocks things faster, but given most of the unlocks are by 10 kills each, there's really no reason to go TDM.

terrible

Banned
I play a ton of TDM because that's all one of my friends plays. Solo I play CQ or Domination. In TDM you can basically just stick to certain areas of a map and decimate everyone for a win, it's too easy. I like having to move around the whole map.

If it's kills per minute you're going for (fastest way for attachment unlocks) Domination is definitely the way to go. Constantly attack or defend control points and it's easy to pull off a 2+ KPM depending on your skill level.

He's talking the guns, which are based on weapon XP. TDM isn't going to unlock anything faster there. Attachments is where TDM unlocks things faster, but given most of the unlocks are by 10 kills each, there's really no reason to go TDM.

You get so little XP in TDM it's ridiculous. My skill goes down into the 300s when I play because my SPM is so low. A few games of Dom and it's back up to 400-500+ lol.

Sober

Well shit , I forgot that Domination was a thing. I loved playing that when CQ came out. And here I was just playing TDM like an idiot. I didn't know they kept it in BF4.

terrible

Banned
Well shit , I forgot that Domination was a thing. I loved playing that when CQ came out. And here I was just playing TDM like an idiot. I didn't know they kept it in BF4.

They have the exact same layout as TDM maps too so there should be almost no learning curve for you.

Sober

I'm surprised how few Domination servers have people playing in NA though. Just checked, like just a few with a dozen ppl or so. Huh. Used to not be a huge problem to find them in BF3.

I followed this game from a distance since launch (only bought it during the sale a few days ago since I wanted something pretty to play on my new pc) and I always heard people say 'next patch netcode yada yada' , it comes across as really hollow to hear that for like the 10th time , especially when the game is like 2 years old already.

Fair point. For what it's worth, the next patch is a make it or break it moment for me when it comes to the netcode stuff.

If this is how the game is after so many 'netcode patches' I can't imagine how bad it was before

You have no idea.

Maddocks

Anyone know when they might have another premium sale again? I had it for ps3 but when I moved over to ps4 they said it wouldn't transfer, so I would need to get it again. I really don't want to pay 50 dollars again for it.

TheSeks

Anyone know when they might have another premium sale again? I had it for ps3 but when I moved over to ps4 they said it wouldn't transfer, so I would need to get it again. I really don't want to pay 50 dollars again for it.

Uh... it should. Didn't they put that offer limit on ice and made it available 24/7?

Nope, it didn't transfer over for me. When I asked about it to their support they said it was expired and would have to pay for it again.
IIRC, that was true for a few months after it expired but they reinstated it indefinitely. Probably due to massive amounts of people contacting their customer service and having it done manually

TheSeks

Well, that Waterfall in the community map is going to be annoying as fuck to deal with. Snipers up there, beacons up there. Impossible to hit them with anything that isn't 20x or 40x and you trying to gauge the distance but the scopes fucking up.

If this is coming with the summer patch: Hoo-boy...

PAUonePUNCH

Neo Member
*** Few Questions ***

If I buy this on PS4 right now, how is the game like without the DLC? Can I find matches easily? Is it worth it?

Thanks!

Enosh

man my K/D ratio is shit

not like it was brilliant in previous BF games, but usually I at least managed to hover around 1, there I'm at 0.86 with some 100 kills behind -.-

I unlocked the attachment for my sniper that allows you to stay scoped after each shot, and while that sounds cool and all, I'm not sure I want to get rid of my bipod.
I've never been a fan of the hold your breath mechanics for sniping in games, and I loved MGO for the fact sniping was completely stable, so being able to go prone and not have to worry about holding my breath is something I appreciate. It also looks cool having a bipod that you can actually use, too.

On the other hand, I can see that it's a crutch, and I should try and get used to holding my breath so I can snipe reliably while standing or crouching.

Would you recommend I try and get good without the bipod, or is bipod a useful tool and worth sticking with?

TheSeks

Would you recommend I try and get good without the bipod, or is bipod a useful tool and worth sticking with?

I stick with it, personally. Like you, I absolutely LOATHE the Call of Dooty Scope Sway that was added in BF3/4. Bad Company 2 (and BF2, IIRC?) don't have it. So it's more of the "CoD-ification" the series has been doing. :/

Anyyyyyyway, even with it on you can still hold your breath on crouch and standing. The problem with the bipod (and it's the same with the LMG or any weapon with the bipod) is the wonky deployment automation. Sometimes you can be fully prone on the ground totally flat and it won't deploy. But be near some cover that isn't level and it'll deploy. It's been like that since BF3 but I've honestly gotten used to that wonkiness since I abused the bipod on the LMG's in BF3 with the Snipers there.

I honestly don't see the "net benefit" of the straight-pull bolt. Yeah, you get your next shot semi-faster but you still have to hit the target and by then they'll (hopefully if they're smart) get into cover. That same time of target aquistion is basically the same as you bolting out and then re-scoping quickly. *shrug* I don't notice a huge difference between the two.

It's really preference. Try the straight-pull bolt and see if it's for you. It isn't for me, but I'm the same guy that bare-bones (no attachement besides the bipod and sniper scope/8x) guns. Ironsight only, final destination and all that.

I stick with it, personally. Like you, I absolutely LOATHE the Call of Dooty Scope Sway that was added in BF3/4. Bad Company 2 (and BF2, IIRC?) don't have it. So it's more of the "CoD-ification" the series has been doing. :/

Anyyyyyyway, even with it on you can still hold your breath on crouch and standing. The problem with the bipod (and it's the same with the LMG or any weapon with the bipod) is the wonky deployment automation. Sometimes you can be fully prone on the ground totally flat and it won't deploy. But be near some cover that isn't level and it'll deploy. It's been like that since BF3 but I've honestly gotten used to that wonkiness since I abused the bipod on the LMG's in BF3 with the Snipers there.

I honestly don't see the "net benefit" of the straight-pull bolt. Yeah, you get your next shot semi-faster but you still have to hit the target and by then they'll (hopefully if they're smart) get into cover. That same time of target aquistion is basically the same as you bolting out and then re-scoping quickly. *shrug* I don't notice a huge difference between the two.

It's really preference. Try the straight-pull bolt and see if it's for you. It isn't for me, but I'm the same guy that bare-bones (no attachement besides the bipod and sniper scope/8x) guns. Ironsight only, final destination and all that.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't sort of limiting myself with the bipod. I was noticing that on some surfaces, mostly rocks, the bipod would stop me from turning round past a certain angle, but shuffling along the floor helps fix that.

I'm definitely enjoying the game, and I'm looking forward to playing the current gen version in the future. I'm doing alright so far, as in I have a positive k:d ratio, and I'm consistently coming top on my team, although based on points and not kills for the most part. I've mostly stuck to the newbie lobbies though (after I found them, that is), so once I leave them for good I'll be screwed. I need to get used to the maps though, as I can't find a way to explore them freely, like in say CoD where you can host a private match by yourself and explore them. My favourite map so far is the one with the farmers fields, where A and B are right next to each other near some buildings. That, and the one with the big towers where you can climb up the wires to reach the top of them.

*** Few Questions ***

If I buy this on PS4 right now, how is the game like without the DLC? Can I find matches easily? Is it worth it?

Thanks!

Hmm i think so. I have a few Dice servers favored and they have vanilla maps. Honestly, the vanilla maps are the best ones. I find games really easily but i have all the dlcs.

JJD

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't sort of limiting myself with the bipod. I was noticing that on some surfaces, mostly rocks, the bipod would stop me from turning round past a certain angle, but shuffling along the floor helps fix that.

I'm definitely enjoying the game, and I'm looking forward to playing the current gen version in the future. I'm doing alright so far, as in I have a positive k:d ratio, and I'm consistently coming top on my team, although based on points and not kills for the most part. I've mostly stuck to the newbie lobbies though (after I found them, that is), so once I leave them for good I'll be screwed. I need to get used to the maps though, as I can't find a way to explore them freely, like in say CoD where you can host a private match by yourself and explore them. My favourite map so far is the one with the farmers fields, where A and B are right next to each other near some buildings. That, and the one with the big towers where you can climb up the wires to reach the top of them.

Just look for a empty server running the map you want to explore (there are a ton of empty servers). If you're really interested in learning the maps by yourself you can rent a server for a day (I think it's 5 or 3 bucks), lock it behind a password and explore any map. But frankly the best way to learn then is playing the game.

I'm not experienced enough to give advice on sniper rifles, as I run the sniper class with carbines but if I can give you one tip is to stay mobile. Don't camp one spot thinking you're safe. There is sooo many ways you can die on this game, and more often than not people will come for you when you kill then, specially if you're a bolt action sniper. Be prepared.

Usually when I'm killed by a sniper that is close to an objective and not a million miles away I'll just RPG or pro pipe snipe him if he is camping the same spot and I usually kill then.

Also don't ever forget to keep the mini map always on your sight and spot enemies!

Edit: Also find a good sidearm you're comfortable with. You'll need it. If you want maximum close range efficiency I've been running the shorty 12G with a full choke. It's great, just don't forget that it only holds 3 shells (at close range you can easily kill a single enemy with each shell).

TheSeks

Shorty's no good on medium maps where he'll probably be sniping. You really shouldn't be using a Sniper on Dawnbreaker or Shanghai unless you're playing as a dick that day. It's not going to cap objectives nor is it going to support with all the buildings around.

Use the M1911, MP-443, Five-seveN, or the like. Much better on the medium maps.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Anyyyyyyway, even with it on you can still hold your breath on crouch and standing. The problem with the bipod (and it's the same with the LMG or any weapon with the bipod) is the won loo ky deployment automation. Sometimes you can be fully prone on the ground totally flat and it won't deploy. But be near some cover that isn't level and it'll deploy. It's been like that since BF3 but I've honestly gotten used to that wonkiness since I abused the bipod on the LMG's in BF3 with the Snipers there.

I hate whoever programmed the bipod. It's awesome when it works, but half the time to doesn't deploy. Of the times it deploys, it quite often deploys in a way that prevents you from turning like you should do. Sometimes it visually deploys but it doesn't actually deploy.

Sober

Tell that to the server bots that autokill me for having a bipod on a no explosives tdm/metro grind server.

BIPODS ARE AS BAD AS EXPLOSIVES

TheSeks

Really??? Wow...talk about badmins...

It's not really "badmin" it's more them trying to prevent "head glitching" (despite that being mostly fixed) with the bipod. You still can get some defensive bonuses bipoding on cover and having your head "appear" to be hit-able but isn't in some areas still.

Throw in prone bipod people being able to shutdown hallways/doorways/chokepoints generally by themselves and it's not hard to see why they have that plugin.

(Shit, I locked down Metro nearly on Rush in BF3 on PS3 by myself on defense in the TRAIN area while the rest of the team covered B second set before. Only reason I failed to stop their tickets is having to reload after a bit and mistiming my reload.)

Of the times it deploys, it quite often deploys in a way that prevents you from turning like you should do.

I know what you mean, but generally that's (IMO) balanced. Or at least feels like it's intenentional on blocking since you can't swivel a gun the full 180 on a bipod (IIRC?) due to heft and barrel/etc blocking from the wall/whatever you're using as the bipod stand.

Additionally it'd break the fucking game if you had full 180 control on your bipod. But Generally you get a good... 120 degree control on the bipod area to where you can shut down areas.

I feel like the Bipod doesn't work well with the generally fast paced gameplay of modern Battlefield games.

It works, as you've seen with bipod snipers, the problem is the implementation. Like Suppression: The ideal is noble (you throw fire at someone in the distance to keep them away from you) but it causes problems (bending bullets, blurred vision, bullshit hit-detection due to bending bullets/bullets not really firing under the effect).

If they fixed it the game would have EVERYONE using it due to how fucking broken the thing is in the right hands. Like think the IRNV + Smoke problem and Flashbangs currently cranked to 11 and the ability to have a 200 round gun hit a target 2-5 times from over 300-500 meters with accuracy depending on how good you are with ironsight/scopes you use. If it worked prone like it should everyone would just be prone bipodding and mowing anyone foolished enough to run around with a 3/4x scope and no recoil.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I know what you mean, but generally that's (IMO) balanced. Or at least feels like it's intenentional on blocking since you can't swivel a gun the full 180 on a bipod (IIRC?) due to heft and barrel/etc blocking from the wall/whatever you're using as the bipod stand.

Additionally it'd break the fucking game if you had full 180 control on your bipod. But Generally you get a good... 120 degree control on the bipod area to where you can shut down areas.
I'm talking about when it deploys but you are seemingly at the maximum of your arc at deployment, so the guy who was 2 degrees to your left when you deployed is out of your range. So instead of say 60 degree movement to either side you have close to 120 degree movement but only to one side.

TheSeks

Nono, I get that. Like I said, that semi-seems intentional at times depending on where that's activating. The whole thing is just wonky but I stick with it because the fact you have 0 recoil and spread using the bipod makes it worth the headache (for me).

TheSeks

fhUr8v0.jpg

That's what you're looking for. AFAIK that shrinks the size of EVERYTHING in the 3D world, but try it and see. It should only affect the HUD AFAIK but I don't mess with any of it as I don't mind the cluttered UI.

Kabuto

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2979150494212630637/

We’re excited to announce that Battlefield 4 Night Operations and the Summer Patch will begin rolling out worldwide on September 1. Please see the detailed information below for exact availability for your platform and region.

- September 1: The Summer Patch rolling out on all platforms worldwide.
- September 1: Battlefield 4 Night Operations rolling out worldwide for PC, Xbox 360/Xbox One, PS3/PS4 worldwide (except for PS3/PS4 in Europe).

- September 8: Battlefield 4 Night Operations rolling out in Europe for PS3/PS4.

Thank you for your patience. We look forward to putting you in our night scopes next week!

Let's fooking gooo

Mahonay

Banned
Been convincing a lot of my friends that fell off the BF4 train to get back on in the past week or two. They've all seem to be digging it. It still surprises me just how solid of a game it is now seeing where it started at when it launched.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I haven't played this in a while, did one of the patches make enemy footsteps quieter? I play with headphones and folks just sprint up to me without my being aware.

TheSeks

ywah, just the one. IIRC having issues getting the others to work on last gen.

Yeah, they planned the night maps to be the last three maps for PS360. No Dragon Valley or the Community Map Pack in the cards for them. Which isn't hard to see why with how graphically intense the CMP is currently.

TheSeks

Right, before I forget:

VOTE ON THE COMMUNITY MAP'S NAME.

I like Haru. Falls, so obviously that one isn't going to win and something shitty like "Outbreak" or "Operation: Outbreak" (to tie into the "map lore") will be picked. :/

Pjsprojects

Bit of help please chaps.

Picked up BF4 on pc the other day but can't get Battlenet to work.
Windows 10
With Chrome I get it to run in 32 bit mode so no graphics options and thats with the new plugin.
With Explorer the Battle log won't go past the log in prompt.

At this point I can't play the game...

UPDATE that may help others.

For now use Firefox browser for Battlenet because EA currently don't support the latest Chrome and could not answer me as to why Explorer would not work with Battlenet.

EA are currently working on an update to make Battlenet work with other browsers.

Top Bottom