• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
New map is funner with a smaller group. Visually very nice, even if it murders my framerate. All those alphas, all that grass.

i like outbreak, c and b flags are specially intense

I do kinda wonder if it would have the same post launch support if it wasn't for the initial fuck up

hardline being a non-starter and battlefront being an ostensibly different type of game have tremendously helped sustain bf4's appeal and dice seems cognizant of it

Love the tears coming from this too. lol

People wanting a resolution bump over a more significant framerate increase.

Though, people were saying the same thing for BF4 and Hardline.

Battlefront even at 900p looked amazing on PS4.

Better have a static 900p than a awful dynamic resolution solution.

JJD

So I tried playing the game this past 2 days after the new patch was out.

The lag is unbearable.

Playing Lancang, I was in a tank near B, when I saw a chopper preparing to make a run at a friendly tank a few meters in front of me. I lined my shot and I'm certain I hit the chopper head on but nothing happened. I was WTF but immediately switched to the heavy machine gun as the chopper started a hard turn to the right behind the building with the bridge to B. I saw the hit markers of the HMG but he got away when suddenly the kill message popped in my screen with the pilot and gunner dead.

Now this happened in like 5 seconds so it was fast, everything was exploding around me and I didn't saw in the kill feed if it was the main gun or heavy machine gun that killed the chopper. But I'm pretty sure it was the main gun as the chopper wasn't even letting out smoke or anything.

I don't imagine I was as pissed as the pilot, but I got really angry when I realized what happened and left the game.

Looking at the patch notes I only saw a small mention about DICE LA making the connection bars represent more realistically the ping of servers, but there's something more. I never had that much lag outside cases where every player on the server was experiencing lag/rubberbanding, etc.

I don't know if it's the high ticket rate servers or something else, but DICE made the game basically unplayable for everyone that has not got access to a server on their own region.

This pisses me off man. BF4 is officially sold here. They even dubbed the fucking game with local big name voice talent. They do all that shit but they don't make regional servers available to us. Get your fucking priorities straight EA/DICE!!!

South american players always had to dealt with lag/latency problems. It's a shitty situation for everyone involved (local and "foreigner" players). People from both sides die behind cover, shots don't register and other shit happens.

But for me it was never this bad. I tested my ping with some US east cost servers and I got results between 110ms to 157ms. This is bad, far from ideal but when you have no other option you learn to deal with it. Somehow things got worse.

As I said the game was always playable to me, until this patch. I have been playing Bad Company and BF games for years. I had my share of deaths behind cover as I probably had my share of kills behind cover too.

But now shit is on another level. After quitting that game I joined another "Latin American" server. The server is Latin American only on name because it is rented by LA players but it is located on the US. Playing Zavod the game "felt" surprisingly good until I tried a C4 run on a tank between C and D. The tanker saw me dropping the C4 (fuck having to put 3 pieces of C4 to blow a tank) so he got out and started shooting at me. I immediately jumped into the tank, shot at him and BAM died from his shots while I was already inside the tank.

Fuck you DICE.

JJD

Sorry for the double post, but any of you american or european guys have tried playing on servers outside your region after the patch?

How was your experience?

I'm asking because my first few games after the patch were with Boa and Mahoney and the game was absolutely normal. I left and later that day I played it again late night and the lag was already too high.

I'm hoping that maybe the issue is with my ISP and I can somehow solve it, but I'm probably fooling myself.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What's the tickrate for the servers, if consoles even have that?

In any case, Rush's variant on the community map is short between sets. Like, Operation: Hastings short. :/

played on a 5 bar and 3 bar server and neither was terrible.

In any case, Rush's variant on the community map is short between sets. Like, Operation: Hastings short. :/

that 4th set tho! can go out of bounds and get the bow.

JJD

It was a normal ticket rate server. Searching for PS4 high ticket servers on battle log don't show me any available servers.

played on a 5 bar and 3 bar server and neither was terrible.

But the 3 bar server was on the EU? Man I hope this issue is with my ISP. I'll see if I can call then tomorrow.

There is no way I'm playing Battlefront if all DICE games are like this going forward.

Enosh

uh I remember watching some video that explained that shit is going to get worse for out of region players, i don't know why exactly

stealth edit: found it, starts from like 13 minutes in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB8kxv65lSc

something about some frame history I have no idea what that mean so I can't explain shit

should be this part in patch notes

Dual Frame History Time support
With dual Frame History Time we can minimize both dusting and the worst of the high ping issues!

Infantry& everything not considered a vehicle use FHT 0.125 value. This means that with a ping >250ms you will have to lead your shots to compensate

Vehicles use FHT 1.0 value. This allows for a majority of projectiles to hit even at higher speeds or pings when in a vehicle

Bump max allowed latency to 1s as frame history time protects impact on other players now

Tubie

It tells you on consoles the tickrate of the server you're in. So far I've only played on 30hz servers. Not sure if there's higher than that.

Sorry for the double post, but any of you american or european guys have tried playing on servers outside your region after the patch?

How was your experience?

I'm asking because my first few games after the patch were with Boa and Mahoney and the game was absolutely normal. I left and later that day I played it again late night and the lag was already too high.

I'm hoping that maybe the issue is with my ISP and I can somehow solve it, but I'm probably fooling myself.

You can check the network testing tool they have in the options, if it tells you the connection is bad then maybe leave that server and find one that works for you.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Someone is playing cte in the xbox one?Yesterday i was searching in quick play in all the options and always put me in a empty server.And when i tried to search for a server the list was empty.

JJD

It tells you on consoles the tickrate of the server you're in. So far I've only played on 30hz servers. Not sure if there's higher than that.

You can check the network testing tool they have in the options, if it tells you the connection is bad then maybe leave that server and find one that works for you.

I did that yesterday and everything was OK.

Found on reddit that it seems like they will implement latin american servers...thank god...

uh I remember watching some video that explained that shit is going to get worse for out of region players, i don't know why exactly

stealth edit: found it, starts from like 13 minutes in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB8kxv65lSc

something about some frame history I have no idea what that mean so I can't explain shit

Thanks for this man, I'll watch it right now!

TheSeks

Is usually dead outside of the days that it gets updated

Or late at night from Europeans like PC?

PC American servers are dead to where I have to play somewhere in the Netherlands if I try to play CTE (lol nothing but Conquest tho so I dropped CTE ages ago) and deal with 200-250ping. Ugh.

that 4th set tho! can go out of bounds and get the bow.

Not sure why you'd want to since the bow is more detrimental for Rush than anything unless you're a defender and even then it's kinda pointless when a gun is more accurate.

olimpia84

Good games last night. Completely forgot about the new map released...I keep going back to vanilla maps over and over lol.

Did they double the points for flags conquered to 400 now? I notice that when we were playing last night but wasn't sure if it was some kind of setting of that private server.

Played the community map for the first time the other day. I went 44 for 10 and did pretty well. I like the map because it's got a lot going on. On foot I didn't feel useless and I thought there was enough terrain and cover to strategically proceed while not being a complete open target.

Good games last night. Completely forgot about the new map released...I keep going back to vanilla maps over and over lol.

Did they double the points for flags conquered to 400 now? I notice that when we were playing last night but wasn't sure if it was some kind of setting of that private server.

Flag captures went from 150 to 400.

I think it's a good incentive to get players to take risks and capture flags.

Tubie

Yep Conquest flag captures are now 400 and the ribbon for winning now awards 3k instead of 1500.

JJD

Man when there is no lag, no rubber banding and the game works there is nothing else like BF.

Had a perfect game yesterday. There was no lag, all my shots were registering and I wasn't instantly killed when someone started shooting at me. I actually had time to react, get into cover or fire back.

1ZJzRSe.png

Gotta love the changes to the scoring system too. It's finally rewarding to play the objectives.

moojito

Is this thread just for bf4 or do bf3 people piggy back on here?
I see it's still fairly active and just picked up the premium edition for £7.50 on origin.
My understanding is that it's mostly base maps being played (because it was free), but the better maps are from the expansion packs. I'll see how it goes.

TheSeks

So... spamming the LAW at the attack boat which is already overpowered more now?

Fabulous, DICE-LA. Wonderful job.

Loaded up bf4 on my ps4 after a long time to try out the patch, but for some reason the game doesn't recognize that I have premium and keeps prompting to buy it to try out community map.

Anyone else have this issue? I tried restoring licenses but that didn't so anything.

Enosh

Loaded up bf4 on my ps4 after a long time to try out the patch, but for some reason the game doesn't recognize that I have premium and keeps prompting to buy it to try out community map.

Anyone else have this issue? I tried restoring licenses but that didn't so anything.
community map is free for everyone not just premium

did you download the map on the ps4? idk how exactly it is on ps4 but on origin there is a separate download for it you have to do

Any word on Dragon Valley? Wasn't it supposed to release with the newest update?
last i read people are saying it's supposed to be in the winter patch

JJD

Finally played Zavod Graveyard Shift. It's a really cool take on the map, very fun. People camp everywhere in the darkness but I don't mind.

Dice/EA are wasting the post content maps making then separate downloads. They should be included in the patches so that everyone will download then and they should be put on official servers rotation.

I found only one server playing Zavod GS, and NONE playing the Community map.

TheSeks

Uhm, what does that even mean? lol

Higher Tickrate = more impact on your client/PC.

30Hz = I get solid 60FPS. 60Hz? = Variable of 55-59FPS. While small, since 60Hz is asking people to keep at that framerate (60FPS) if you dip, you have issues in regards to the "snappiness" of the tickrate update and feel like you're lagging.

If this means consoles are going to get the higher tickrates, maybe it'll be optimized to where the performance impact on PC will be reduced/removed and people will be able to do with console-like performance.

Mahonay

Banned
Played a bunch of Conquest Small and had some great games. In our last game as a group, each member of our squad was one of the "best of round stats". Killing Machine, Best Recon, Best Support, and Best Engineer.

JeVkIQP.jpg

In the last few days it's been really hard to find servers with decent pings to play... almost everyone shows up with just one bar... is that happening with anybody else or just me?

JJD

In the last few days it's been really hard to find servers with decent pings to play... almost everyone shows up with just one bar... is that happening with anybody else or just me?

You're from Latin America?

If you are that's how US servers are going to be. EU and Asian servers are probably going to be worse.

That's said it seems that DICE/EA will be making L. America servers available soon.

You're from Latin America?

If you are that's how US servers are going to be. EU and Asian servers are probably going to be worse.

That's said it seems that DICE/EA will be making L. America servers available soon.

Yes I am. But it only started recently, before that I got 3 or 4 bars... what changed?

JJD

Yes I am. But it only started recently, before that I got 3 or 4 bars... what changed?

Check this post:

"Dual Frame History Time support
With dual Frame History Time we can minimize both dusting and the worst of the high ping issues!

Infantry& everything not considered a vehicle use FHT 0.125 value. This means that with a ping >250ms you will have to lead your shots to compensate

Vehicles use FHT 1.0 value. This allows for a majority of projectiles to hit even at higher speeds or pings when in a vehicle

Bump max allowed latency to 1s as frame history time protects impact on other players now"

When the patch hit I could barely play any games. Now games are playable but they are a bit worse for me. I wish I knew how to use the DVR features to post some clips.

I don't know why but things have gotten better. My ping is usually between 100 - 150 on east US servers, it's high but it isn't absurdly high, if your is higher than that you're going to have some serious issues.

Pay attention to the right corner of the screen and see if you have some strange icons (something like a clock). If you do you're having latency problems.

Top Bottom