• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

So what's the point of the platoon if I can't see if people are currently playing the game?

In the OP, there's a giant friend list collection. Add some people. Then use the battlelog button to go to "friends" and you will see who is doing what.

indeed, its pretty useless but it makes finding players of the same platform a little easier. Send Battlelog friend requests to platoon buddies and then you can see and join them through Battlelog. Even on consoles.

Paganmoon

SG553 is almost identical to the ACW-R, but it has 50 less RPM and a slightly different recoil pattern. And in this case RPM is king imo, because neither weapon is meant for long range engagements.

I would just like to declare that you are now my mortal enemy... I think you had like 0-4 or something on me on at least one of the maps yesterday on the Webhallen servers... you shall pay for that!
gg

Ark

Went ahead and added a bunch of people from the GAF console Platoon on Battlelog. Playing solo can get a bit boring sometimes :p

I think I'm going to give up on LMGs in this game. I love that I pump 100 bullets into a dude and he's able to kill me and have 20% health left. I've put about 100 hours into BF4 so far, but I can't stand the wonky hit detection that's been happening recently.

I think I'm going to give up on LMGs in this game. I love that I pump 100 bullets into a dude and he's able to kill me and have 20% health left. I've put about 100 hours into BF4 so far, but I can't stand the wonky hit detection that's been happening recently.

yeah they are not very well balanced, i've always been that LMG-guy but the only advantage they have in this game is the large magazine size.

Fullauto-hipfire-run&gun rarely works outside of Hardcore mode.

BFBC2 still had very enjoyable LMG's.

yeah they are not very well balanced, i've always been that LMG-guy but the only advantage they have in this game is the large magazine size.

Fullauto-hipfire-run&gun rarely works outside of Hardcore mode.

BFBC2 still had very enjoyable LMG's.

Yeah, I don't know if it's the second assault map pack or what. Operation Metro seems to be horrible for LMG (horrible overall if your on the c flag in conquest) because I went a full match with like 2 kills despite unloading round after round into people. It's getting annoying to say the least. Didn't have that problem last month.

I've found the M60 is really accurate and powerful at long range if you burst fire.

I just can't win mid range.

It's a beast on the bipod though.

burst fire.

on the bipod.

WRONG :D

chuck-norris-m60-o.gif
a4ee1-rambo.gif

Well that's depressing. Had a pretty good week of BF overall, some tasty games on Sunday afternoon as I finally started clicking with the snipers/DMRs, and now looking at my skill it's dropped below 100 (I think for the first time). Bleh.

Haven't got a clue what it measures anyway

Z_Y

Some 4 months after launch, I'm hoping we are past the hyperbole stage when we are comparing performance on PS4 vs XB1...right?

With that said how big of a gap is there for those that have played both versions? I've had the PS4 version but recently I've been wanting to move the PS4 into the bedroom so I can have a nice media box in there. I have an XB1 in the living room and was thinking of double dipping on the XB1 version so I have BF4 at the ready in both rooms. How big of a drop off is it? Will I hate myself afterwards?

Still wish that progression was tracked across all platforms. :(

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
PS4 looks a bit better (Better resolution and AA) but nothing mind blowing. You should be fine regardless the platform.

XBone update

I don't think DICE should nerf the Stingers. Infantry need weapons that can take down air vehicles. They should give pilots more defensive options, though. Bring back Below Radar; it used to allow/force pilots to fly away. The transport helicopter should have more and faster countermeasures. I'm sure DICE has some "gentleman's agreement" not to fire on them, but they're essentially a one-way taxi. ECM and Flares should recharge faster, or have a small set of them you can release and then have a much longer recharge.

One offensive anti-air weapon I'd like to see is something that could blind pilots for a short period.
Gotta disagree. Have used a stinger lately? You can fire off three shots in ~10 seconds. That's enough to destroy or cripple an aircraft, and it only took one person to do it. Also it's fire n forget - the igla isn't worth the effort even though its a two hit kill.

Infantry should be able to take down aircraft but one infantry shouldn't be able to effectively deny airspace.

I don't think DICE should nerf the Stingers. Infantry need weapons that can take down air vehicles. They should give pilots more defensive options, though. Bring back Below Radar; it used to allow/force pilots to fly away. The transport helicopter should have more and faster countermeasures. I'm sure DICE has some "gentleman's agreement" not to fire on them, but they're essentially a one-way taxi. ECM and Flares should recharge faster, or have a small set of them you can release and then have a much longer recharge.

One offensive anti-air weapon I'd like to see is something that could blind pilots for a short period.

Gotta disagree. Have used a stinger lately? You can fire off three shots in ~10 seconds. That's enough to destroy or cripple an aircraft, and it only took one person to do it. Also it's fire n forget - the igla isn't worth the effort even though its a two hit kill.

Infantry should be able to take down aircraft but one infantry shouldn't be able to effectively deny airspace.

I'm actually on the same team as adamsappel, helos should have more countermeasures. It's so frustrating when 90% of enemies carry stingers and even one shot usually causes the chopper to plummet to the ground resulting in "KILLED IN ACTION" for all. Oh let me add that this results in no-one getting kills either. And 90% of all vehicles fire missiles too at the choppers. APC's, Boats...

especially the transport chopper should reload countermeasures faster, that 30 second delay is waaaay too slow.

if they nerf stingers etc. only nerf the lock on range.

SJS

Well that's depressing. Had a pretty good week of BF overall, some tasty games on Sunday afternoon as I finally started clicking with the snipers/DMRs, and now looking at my skill it's dropped below 100 (I think for the first time). Bleh.

Haven't got a clue what it measures anyway

See, there is a *ton* of misinformation on the internet. Some people say that Skill works on an ELO system, and others insist it's based on a weird combination of SPM / KPM / KDR. In my experience, it's somewhere in between.

That is: there is definitely some kind of consistency factor. I never drop below 350ish nowadays (top 3% of players), basically. But at the same time, my Skill rating can go all the way up to an approximate maximum of 460 (usually lower, but even that will put me in the top 1% of players) just for playing Rush a while. I suppose Rush might increase SPM / KPM, and it's also the mode I'm most used to, but after manually determining SPM / KPM over the course of a few matches, the difference between my CQ and Rush stats are only slight.

What's your current setup for snipers and DMRs? Also: As a sniper, are you consistently spotting whatever you can't reliably snipe for spot bonuses? As a DMR user, are you winning in CQC, getting a grasp on the fire rates mentally, and having some semblance of accuracy at a distance?

Apparently someone on reddit figured it out.

I believe I have found the proper formula for calculating the Skill rating you see in Battlelog.

This information was pulled from the game files and posted to Symthic. It served as my starting point.
SkillLevelParameters e6df679ae3633529acb47445de71eab7
$::Asset
$::DataContainer
Name Persistence/SkillLevelParams
SPM::SkillLevelComponent
MaxValue 1000.0
Weight 0.6
KPM::SkillLevelComponent
MaxValue 3.0
Weight 0.3
KDR::SkillLevelComponent
MaxValue 5.0
Weight 0.1
OldValueWeight 0.9
MaxValue 1000.0
MinimumTimeRequired 300.0

As you can see from this data, Skill is made up of three factors, each weighted by a different amount: 60% SPM, 30% KPM, and 10% KDR. The folks over on Symthic forum tried simply added the weighted amounts together, but that makes no sense. SPM is a huge number compared to the others. The values must be normalized before being weighted and added. What to normalize them against was a problem at first before I realized it was right in front of me. They are normalized against the MaxValues for each one.

You cannot (I don't think) calculate your total skill in a vacuum. Rather, it is built game-by-game by adding or subtracting from your starting skill. In other words, you have to have a starting skill number, then add in data for a game, and you can find out the resulting skill number.
You only need your pre-game Skill and the data from one game to make the calculation. The SPM you must use is derived from the score beside your name on the scoreboard before any awards are added, NOT the giant SPM number from the Battle Report. Take that score and divide by the round time to find your actual SPM. Find KPM by dividing your kills by the round time also. KDR is listed in in the Battle Report. Any values over the max values (1000, 3, and 5 respectively) are reduced to the max values.

It's a three-step calculation:

First, we normalize the values as fractions of the maximum possible.
(SPM/1000) = nSPM
(KPM/3) = nKPM
(KDR/5) = nKDR

Next, we weight the values and add them, then multiply by 1000
((nSPM * .6) + (nKPM * .3) + (nKDR * .1)) * 1000 = GameSkill
GameSkill represents your Skill in that single game.

Finally, we add the GameSkill with our starting skill. You'll notice in the data above "OldValueWeight 0.9". That means we will weight our existing skill by .9 when adding in the single game skill.
(OldSkill * .9) + (GameSkill * .1) = NewSkill

Real World Example:

This is the last game I played two days ago. The other team rage quit. I had a pretty good round and I gained +8 Skill. My skill before the game was 510. Although Battlelog shows my SPM was 1018, that's not the value we want to use here because that counts awards. My actual SPM was 463 (12,905 points / 27.83 minutes), my KPM was 2.12, and my KDR was 4.92. We first plug in these numbers to normalize them against their max values.
(463/1000) = 0.463
(2.12/3) = 0.707
(4.92/5) = 0.984

Now we weight them, add them, and multiply by 1000 to get the single game Skill.
((0.463 * .6) + (0.707 * .3) + (0.984 * .1)) * 1000 = 588.2

Lastly, we add the GameSkill in with our weighted starting skill.
(510 * .9) + (588.2 * .1) = 517.82

That rounds up to a New Skill of 518. My calculation says I should have gained +8 Skill for that game, which is exactly what it shows in Battlelog. Also, 518 is my actual current skill at the time of this writing. I have tested it with about a dozen different games and players. It seems to work except it can occasionally be off by 1 point possibly due to rounding(?) or an error on the Battle Report (most likely).

TL;DR: What This Means

Basically, each game you play is compared to a theoretically "perfect" game. A "perfect" game (as far as Skill is concerned) would be 1000 SPM, 3 KPM, 5 KDR. The closer you are to each of those ideals, the higher your Skill is for that game. Then the skill for that game is factored into your overall skill either raising or lowering it. The higher your skill, the harder it is to advance it more. For example, if my starting skill had been 300, I would've gained +29 Skill for the above game instead of only +8. Also, since Skill is calculated on a running basis from each game, you can have much better overall stats than someone, but still have a lower skill. It is very much a "What have you done for me lately" stat, and has almost nothing to do with your career numbers. You can gain or lose a couple hundred skill in just a few games. Any questions?

What's your current setup for snipers and DMRs? Also: As a sniper, are you consistently spotting whatever you can't reliably snipe for spot bonuses? As a DMR user, are you winning in CQC, getting a grasp on the fire rates mentally, and having some semblance of accuracy at a distance?

Oof, I think you might be inferring a greater level of skill with this question than I have. By 'clicking' I mean that mechanically I can hit about once out of every three shots with the sniper now < 300m, and that I have gotten any kills at all with any DMR. Decent idea of the firerate on the RFB I guess, winning some CQC but probably still losing more often. Mid-distance is less bad, but I usually have trouble with ACOG scopes so I dunno. I'm always tempted just to run with iron sights everywhere. Since you asked, though, setup is: 6x scope/canted ironsights/straight pull on the CS-LR4, ACOG/canted ironsights/heavy barrel/angled grip on the RFB.

I've avoided Recon (and DMRs) almost completely up to now y'see, trying to improve my general aim before going for the marksman-class weapons, but it's only been semi-successful I think. Just had a couple of very fun games with one or the other and it inspired me to stick with them for a bit at last.

Apparently someone on reddit figured it out.

Ah, well that makes me feel a little better at least. My last or second-to-last game of the weekend was such a ridiculously awful one, something like 0-10 in Locker I think. I don't even want to go check, it was that bad. So I'll keep in mind that skill is rather forgetful. Thanks. :)

For reference, my skill fell from a high of ~130 on Friday to 96

Oh I noticed they added carrier assault large and carrier assault small. I can decide if dice will troll me by having the small option work when it's missing for CQ or by not putting up servers for it. Probably the former.

I'm actually on the same team as adamsappel, helos should have more countermeasures. It's so frustrating when 90% of enemies carry stingers and even one shot usually causes the chopper to plummet to the ground resulting in "KILLED IN ACTION" for all. Oh let me add that this results in no-one getting kills either. And 90% of all vehicles fire missiles too at the choppers. APC's, Boats...

especially the transport chopper should reload countermeasures faster, that 30 second delay is waaaay too slow.

Mobility hits are a different matter. I think they look/feel cool, but they're decidedly unbalanced. I agree countermeasures should probably recharge slightly faster, and a range nerf is a good idea too (but not to the igla).

I'd say another problem is the insane line if sight on most maps.

All that said, flying with sharp the past week, its obvious people have become dependent on MAAs, as when me and him start ripping it up, we rarely get taken out by soldiers on the ground, and if we do, it's by unguideds.

Just looked at the March 4 PS4 patch notes. Are they only now nerfing the MTAR's long range damage? I thought they did that a while ago.

Edit: Same with the DMRs. I thought they buffed them a month ago.

meshwork

I would just like to declare that you are now my mortal enemy... I think you had like 0-4 or something on me on at least one of the maps yesterday on the Webhallen servers... you shall pay for that!
gg

I actually felt a bit bad about it..."Oh Paganmoon, again"

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
Mobility hits are a different matter. I think they look/feel cool, but they're decidedly unbalanced. I agree countermeasures should probably recharge slightly faster, and a range nerf is a good idea too (but not to the igla).

I'd say another problem is the insane line if sight on most maps.

All that said, flying with sharp the past week, its obvious people have become dependent on MAAs, as when me and him start ripping it up, we rarely get taken out by soldiers on the ground, and if we do, it's by unguideds.

Unguided were the bane of my existence this weekend. Over all a good weekend for flying and I had a lot of fun.

I never thought of it before, but you make a great point with the mobility hits. It would seems the OP of the AA weapons derives from this because the hit you onc and will likely be able to hit you again and because you can't get away, especially if you used your counters already.

To me LMGs are the best anti-infantry weapons in the game. Use the AWS or MG4, don't bother with the slow firing ones.

redfirm

Banned
If people here are searching for a clan/team to play with, than send me a PM. we are currently searching for new members to strengthen the team.

If people here are searching for a clan/team to play with, than send me a PM. we are currently searching for new members to strengthen the team.

it would help if you would mention what platform of the 5 different ones and general timezone rather than just spam here :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Nearly 20/50 SKS headshots. >_< Getting headshots with the DMR's is harder than I thought it'd be.

And 10 losses for 2 wins. Yay. :/

SJS

Fuck Siege of Shanghai for existing. I hate this map the more I play it. There's just no consistency in any strategy you can adopt for it and it's boring / slow as hell.

TheSeks

RUSH! FUCK YEAH!

Not all of them. One was joining Facism in a German server on Conquest where his team was completely fucked.

And you missed us getting to last set Zavod and suddenly having them defend (but hey at least I got 3 SKS headshots and another Marksmen ribbon to add to my last sniper unlock)

But yeah: I know you'll go "LOL 64 players" and yeah, but those are the only servers with slots when I want to play. :/

scogoth

Not all of them. One was joining Fascism in a German server on Conquest where his team was completely fucked.

And you missed us getting to last set Zavod and suddenly having them defend (but hey at least I got 3 SKS headshots and another Marksmen ribbon to add to my last sniper unlock)

But yeah: I know you'll go "LOL 64 players" and yeah, but those are the only servers with slots when I want to play. :/

What are the odds?

Ark

Fuck Siege of Shanghai for existing. I hate this map the more I play it. There's just no consistency in any strategy you can adopt for it and it's boring / slow as hell.

If you spawn with E as your home-cap the game basically turns into 'which poor souls on our team are going to dedicate themselves to bother capping back E every 3 minutes'. And you've always gotta bring the skyscraper down because the fighting on the rooftops is annoying as fuck.

I actually quite like Siege of Shanghai. I'm quite liking the urban warfare around skyscrapers thing, I've even warmed up to Dawnbreaker too.

ChrisW

The one time I a while I want to play BF and it won't load to main menu and says that sony network is having problems...typical

SJS

If you spawn with E as your home-cap the game basically turns into 'which poor souls on our team are going to dedicate themselves to bother capping back E every 3 minutes'. And you've always gotta bring the skyscraper down because the fighting on the rooftops is annoying as fuck.

I actually quite like Siege of Shanghai. I'm quite liking the urban warfare around skyscrapers thing, I've even warmed up to Dawnbreaker too.

Wait, how do I bring the skyscraper down? I mean, it'll only be one building, but I'm interested.

I love Dawnbreaker. It's a lot less vertical than Siege of Shanghai and has well varied terrain.

Ark

Wait, how do I bring the skyscraper down? I mean, it'll only be one building, but I'm interested.

I love Dawnbreaker. It's a lot less vertical than Siege of Shanghai and has well varied terrain.

On the side facing the water, there are four blue pillars with some rubble in them. Shoot each pillar of rubble with explosives until they all collapse and the skyscraper will follow suit.

Facism

He's KoreanUnited Kingdom! Makes no sense for him to be playing Germany servers, but he says UK servers won't let him sexual innuendo me.

it was an honest mistake. I try to avoid German servers where possible because they're full of prudes who don't like swearing in their murder simulator. The best bit about the bad language autokick on that server was that racist terms were allowed.

Unlocked the AA mines. Got a kill with them immediately. Aircraft are fuuuuuuuuccked.

The reason why I said Stingers are overpowered because their reload speed is incredibly fast, deal a good amount of damage, require no effort to use, and more importantly, they cause a mobility hit for aircrafts. This is of course amplified with the helicopters being in a pretty bad spot (scout helicopter to a lesser extent of course), and both anti air rocket launchers being the steroid using equivalent of their BF3 variants.

Stingers applying critical hits is like the MBT LAW being able to make critical hits. Both weapons require minimal to no effort, yet the stinger is allowed to mobility hit aircrafts.

At the very least, an IGLA requires the user to be in a good position to lock on to the enemy and not lose the lock until the missile hits.

Oh, and apparently they only reduced the cone of locking on for active radar in stealth jets only.

So MAA still camps the base and still shoots active radar across the map.

Facism

you know, i never used the stinger in this game. Didn't realise it was fire and forget.

Now i understand. It is madbeast.

Kabuto

SBTNJJz.png

The Battlefield 4 Naval Strike content will be shown tomorrow in Battlelog. (Uhpam is a DICE dev)

Naval Strike coming out next week would be great but I dunno; no trailer or hype for it by DICE makes me question that.

SBTNJJz.png

The Battlefield 4 Naval Strike content will be shown tomorrow in Battlelog. (Uhpam is a DICE dev)

Naval Strike coming out next week would be great but I dunno; no trailer or hype for it by DICE makes me question that.

I have to say, the map packs come out WAY too fast. And having to choose what expansion to play instead of having all maps in rotation still sucks.

Id be happy if the next one came out in the summer and the last one september.

I have to say, the map packs come out WAY too fast. And having to choose what expansion to play instead of having all maps in rotation still sucks.

Id be happy if the next one came out in the summer and the last one september.

Yeah, intentionally so I would assume. Gotta get dat Battlefront cash cow up and ready. BF3 Premium is a country mile better than the one for BF4.

TheSeks

it was an honest mistake. I try to avoid German servers where possible because they're full of prudes who don't like swearing in their murder simulator. The best bit about the bad language autokick on that server was that racist terms were allowed.

Nah, it's fine. I walked into it after my Rush straight losses from a team that couldn't attack nor defend at 64 players (WTF 64 players basically breaks it in Defenses favor)

Erban1

Maybe it's just me but the water really breaks up the pacing and I generally stick to one side of the map because of it.

Omni

It's actually my favourite base map in the game. Aside from Parcel, of course.

>_>

Ocho

I didn't think these people existed. :p

Top Bottom