• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

Dear Gaf,
I've been playing B4 for a good 60+ hrs now and I'm thinking about getting Premium. Is it still worth getting it? I think I'll play it for a mother six months until Destiny comes out.

I'm pretty happy with it so far (two weeks?). I don't want to encourage poorly-polished games, but at the same time I would probably buy all the DLC anyway, and there are some nice features like the player appreciation weekends and so forth.

I've been staying at a friend's who owns an XO, and have watched him play, on both Hardcore and Vanilla.

It's a little shocking at times how bad the hit detection is. I don't feel like I ever experience it this badly on PC (maybe I do and I just don't notice), but there have been at least 8-10 non-kills where his aim was dead on from about 20-30 yards away and the guy doesn't go down. It's particularly shocking when he plays Hardcore, which is most of the time.

Ocho

Hmm... Vehicles is why I really like battlefield, and the attack boat is not as fun as a tank. This expansion isn't really my cup of tea. A rotation of only naval strike maps sounds like the worst.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I've been staying at a friend's who owns an XO, and have watched him play, on both Hardcore and Vanilla.

It's a little shocking at times how bad the hit detection is. I don't feel like I ever experience it this badly on PC (maybe I do and I just don't notice), but there have been at least 8-10 non-kills where his aim was dead on from about 20-30 yards away and the guy doesn't go down. It's particularly shocking when he plays Hardcore, which is most of the time.

It's there on PC. The packetloss is HORRIBLE. I'm getting 4% packetloss at times which is INSANE, shouldn't be that high.

I've had that bang-on no-hit-markers happen often, not enough to be "OMG FUCK THIS SHIT" but often enough to be "that's bullshit."

it just feels like they fall really short of what we were expecting.

They already fell short for me when the "Levolution" for me was ground-terrain deformation. They showed that hole you can make in Shanghai's underground mall's stairway and dropping a tank though it: That only happens in that ONE spot, on that ONE map in the ENTIRE game.

Can't knock the support columns out and collapse the "roof" of the underground mall and make it a crater and harder to get around with tanks and stuff. So Levolution has already fallen flat for me on that front. When it became "events" that just killed the whole idea for me.

Honestly I experience it more in the other direction. I get an insane kill that I absolutely should not have made. Seems to happen with snipers especially. And my skills often permit me to miss guys at 10m, so it's not preternatural talent or anything.

Ethelwulf

The dlcs offer new maps but more importantly, new game modes, new weapons and sometimes new vehicles (on specific maps only). I say it's well worth it.

sure if you like rewarding a company that still hasn't brought their product up to snuff after 4 months on the market..

I'm pretty happy with it so far (two weeks?). I don't want to encourage poorly-polished games, but at the same time I would probably buy all the DLC anyway, and there are some nice features like the player appreciation weekends and so forth.

Thank you! I think I'll get it after all...

-griffy-

Banned

There's definitely goofy shit like that on PC. I've been playing on PS4 mostly since getting that for Xmas, but went back to PC recently just because. Last night I unloaded a clip in a guy, no hit markers and he didn't go down, I turned to run back in a doorway for cover and suddenly he died while I was facing away, giving me credit for the kill.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It's there on PC. The packetloss is HORRIBLE. I'm getting 4% packetloss at times which is INSANE, shouldn't be that high.

I've had that bang-on no-hit-markers happen often, not enough to be "OMG FUCK THIS SHIT" but often enough to be "that's bullshit."

They already fell short for me when the "Levolution" for me was ground-terrain deformation. They showed that hole you can make in Shanghai's underground mall's stairway and dropping a tank though it: That only happens in that ONE spot, on that ONE map in the ENTIRE game.

Can't knock the support columns out and collapse the "roof" of the underground mall and make it a crater and harder to get around with tanks and stuff. So Levolution has already fallen flat for me on that front. When it became "events" that just killed the whole idea for me.
It pisses me off when you shoot a wall or roof with a rocket that clearly looks destructible and nothing happens. I know it must be almost impossible nor desired to have full destructibility, but I can't see any visual indicator to what is destructible versus what isn't.

mitchman

Gold Member
Yeah that date being found on Origin should be pretty reliable, no?

Who knows, but jackfrags also mentioned it in his Naval Strike preview video. He seems to be fairly "insider" when it comes to information. I guess we'll just wait and see, and hope.

TheSeks

Play videogames? Haha! What is this, some sort of a nerd messageboard?!

I find my enjoyment in spreadsheets and databases.

Oh man, Do I have the game for you!

There's definitely goofy shit like that on PC. I've been playing on PS4 mostly since getting that for Xmas, but went back to PC recently just because. Last night I unloaded a clip in a guy, no hit markers and he didn't go down, I turned to run back in a doorway for cover and suddenly he died while I was facing away, giving me credit for the kill.

100ms tickrate, ya'll.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Shame it needs 4+ players, 3 of us play together all the time and usually make our own little clan type things to see our group stats, etc., or at least it says it needs 4 or more of us. Though typically Battlelog wont let me use my unlcoked emblem stuff for some reason, guess my friends and I wont be having a group emblem of a dinosaur riding a tank covered in guns.

TheSeks

Probably being DDoS'ed like Steam was/is by "derp trolls."

Kabuto

PC-GAF:
Go to the BF4 folder in .\origin games\Battlefield 4\ Open _Installer\directx\redist Right click on DXSETUP.exe and click "Run as Administrator"
What this does is install the DirectX libraries that were copied to your hard drive but never installed that are needed for DirectX to properly process the game code.

I just did this and I went from having 40-60 fps on Ultra to 60fps.
credits to nickert0n on reddit

terrible

Banned
XGFTdc3.jpg

Stated reason: Hacking/Cheating

I wasn't even doing that well.

SJS

SRAW inconsistency was off the charts today. Rockets pounding themselves into the ground, visually confirmed hits on tanks that do no damage, lag-induced false firing animations, and unlucky hipfire arcs at extreme close range were all about.

I also had an extremely boring 40 minute game which reduced my SPM significantly.

I've seen better days.

terrible

Banned
e4Nub14.png

Made me laugh out loud ha!

Haha I just didn't see a ban coming. I wasn't doing anything different than usual and nobody complained about me while playing so I just assumed it was a crash. I went to rejoin after getting a snack and I laughed.

This reminds me though. I've been really craving private servers for PS4 but I am not looking forward to the bans at all. My friends and I got banned a ton until we finally found some servers with sane admins. Most admins on 360 would just ban you for killing them a few times, it was nuts.

scogoth

Haha I just didn't see a ban coming. I wasn't doing anything different than usual and nobody complained about me while playing so I just assumed it was a crash. I went to rejoin after getting a snack and I laughed.

This reminds me though. I've been really craving private servers for PS4 but I am not looking forward to the bans at all. My friends and I got banned a ton until we finally found some servers with sane admins. Most admins on 360 would just ban you for killing them a few times, it was nuts.

You killed an admin = hack

Ark

Had some good games with a ThreeBarHero and Rockscar2 last night on China Rising :)

BipE22jIgAALP8K.jpg:large

I have never quite had a game like this. I thought I had MVP in the bag until I looked at the scoreboard and we were both at like 30 kills and 6 deaths each. I was frantically running around finding people to kill :lol

Big thanks to Rockscar2 btw for sitting in my scout heli and repairing it. I've been trying to practise and unlock the 25mm cannons and I finally got them last night.

Just applied to the NEOGAF PC platoon. Been anxious to play some more... and I also may have accidentally applied for the console platoon, so please ignore that one...

:)

Got that GOL assignment done last night. So worth it. I haven't got to spend much time with the gun yet, but it feels amazing already.

same, was rather easy actually on Hardcore Conquest in Firestorm when single shot anywhere on the body kills. And you can stand on any of the platforms of the tower.

terrible

Banned
When I went to unlock the GOL enemies were parachuting down constantly and tanks were trying to snipe me from a mile away. I even had two commander missiles land on my face. Even with that chaos I got it during my first round thank god lol. It was really terrifying.

Get into chopper on Caspian US side. Pilot begins to ascend. And ascend. And ascend. RU MAA is of course on the opposite hill and sees us and begins firing. Pilot continues to ascend. And ascend. Other chopper is spotted in the distance coming for us. Pilot continues to ascend. (We've not moved forward, mind you). Pilot bails. Somehow I'm not surprised, and was ready to switch seats.

What the hell was he trying to accomplish? (Checked, the fucker was 2-12)

---

The thing about Metro being 'one-sided' is how maddenenly rage inducing it is to be on a team that loses as Russia. I suppose the caveat is 'one-sided' doesn't mean RU wins 100% of the time, but it feels like now that everyone has settled into the new map that US is winning at least 1/5 to 1/3 times now when I play. Terrible odds, but not the guaranteed win for RU I was getting used to.

Here is a tip I was telling Lostsupper last night.

CTF is completely lopsided on Caspian and Metro.

Firestorm and Oman seems better for balance.

But take advantage of the lop sidedness if you want.

If you plan on playing CTF as squad (or even by yourself) for a considerable amount of time, I suggest you start of on firestorm US side.

The rotation will then go, RU (Oman), US (wall side, Caspian), RU (High ground, Metro) back to US (Firestorm).

Wait, people didn't already know this? I was playing with GAF the first week SA was out and when the maps cycled back to Metro we were on the same side again. It's hilariously broken.

I'm not sure.

But it is broken beyond belief.

Does auto balance even work in this game?
Autobalance, as in teams?

I'm pretty sure I figured out the basic algorithm back in the 360 days and it seems to still be the case now: At the end of the game, and imbalance in teams will be rectified by taking the worst scoring squad from the bigger team and placing it on the smaller team.

As it is, I'm glad it's so simple, otherwise it'd be much harder to keep GAF together when we have multiple squads.

In fact, I wish there was a way to link multiple squads into a (in-game platoon) that was unsplittable. Also, I wish that people in your friends list (or in the platoon) were colored differently than randoms. I'd give them priority for revives and ammo.

I'm pretty sure I figured out the basic algorithm back in the 360 days and it seems to still be the case now: At the end of the game, and imbalance in teams will be rectified by taking the worst scoring squad from the bigger team and placing it on the smaller team.

As it is, I'm glad it's so simple, otherwise it'd be much harder to keep GAF together when we have multiple squads.

In fact, I wish there was a way to link multiple squads into a (in-game platoon) that was unsplittable. Also, I wish that people in your friends list (or in the platoon) were colored differently than randoms. I'd give them priority for revives and ammo.

I'd be happy enough if they coloured your own icon on the map differently from the others. Why on earth does it have to be impossible to differentiate your own position from that of a squadmate? It is baffling. (Of course this happens everywhere - team lists, vehicle occupants, death markers...)

Ah, ok. Thanks.

Kak.efes

Get into chopper on Caspian US side. Pilot begins to ascend. And ascend. And ascend. RU MAA is of course on the opposite hill and sees us and begins firing. Pilot continues to ascend. And ascend. Other chopper is spotted in the distance coming for us. Pilot continues to ascend. (We've not moved forward, mind you). Pilot bails. Somehow I'm not surprised, and was ready to switch seats.

What the hell was he trying to accomplish? (Checked, the fucker was 2-12)

---

This reminds me of something I used to do for laughs in BF3. I'd get into the Viper on Kharg and occasionally pitch the nose up on take off to spook the gunner. They'd bail into the ocean behind the carrier thinking I'd crash. Someone from GAF would spawn in, and we'd be on our way. The dude in the ocean would always suicide.

This reminds me of something I used to do for laughs in BF3. I'd get into the Viper on Kharg and occasionally pitch the nose up on take off to spook the gunner. They'd bail into the ocean behind the carrier thinking I'd crash. Someone from GAF would spawn in, and we'd be on our way. The dude in the ocean would always suicide.
Oh, I've been on the wrong side of stuff like that back in BF3. Guys bouncing the heli along, letting it take hits, swooping at the ground. Fuck you, I'll die in this thing before I let your friend in here just because you two can't play without holding hands.

Anyway, that wasn't the case for this idiot, He was in my squad (though I booted him right afterward).

mitchman

Gold Member
Pilot continues to ascend. And ascend. Other chopper is spotted in the distance coming for us. Pilot continues to ascend. (We've not moved forward, mind you). Pilot bails. Somehow I'm not surprised, and was ready to switch seats.

"Ok, I got this ascend figured out now. Oh man does it go high up! What's that beeping sound? Now I wonder how I go forward now. What does this button do, I wonder?" *BAIL*

Top Bottom