• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

turnbuckle

In about 2 weeks I'll finally be able to start playing more in the evenings again. I've worked about 45 straight days, several of them being 10-14 hour days. It's made me a lot less patient for lag and other issues in the little free time I've had, but after the first of April I'll be able to get hooked again.

Is there a consensus on headseats for the PS4? One reason I don't play with the headset too often is because I frequently can hear other players' game through their mic and I know other players can hear mine. I have several pair of really nice headphones but I'd need something for gaming with a mic.

I own a Triton headset that's pretty great quality, but it's a big pain to use (requires too many cords and plugs into a separate receiver that looks like a shitty router). I pretty much refuse to use that and am looking for something else. Wired or wireless, doesn't matter. Just so long as a wired version doesn't require me to plug into the console as well as the controller.

Oh, and CheDominik - I think I'm gonna be getting some glasses soon. Had laser surgery about 8 years ago but things are starting to get a little blurry, especially lights and lit displays. When I get my new specs I'm gunning for you. Need to get my K/D ratio up. Thanks in advance :)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Man when they say teaser they mean it huh

Hyb

Banned
Rollie the pollie the guy that makes the trailers says that is not the correct version now on Twitter. Probably need to wait for BF self to upload to youtube.

"Roland Smedberg ‏@RollieThePollie 4m
@MrProWestie @TheAlfMeister98 @killat0n_ That is NOT the correct version..."

Rollie the pollie the guy that makes the trailers says that is not the correct version now on Twitter. Probably need to wait for BF self to upload to youtube.

"Roland Smedberg ‏@RollieThePollie 4m
@MrProWestie @TheAlfMeister98 @killat0n_ That is NOT the correct version..."

Good.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
In about 2 weeks I'll finally be able to start playing more in the evenings again. I've worked about 45 straight days, several of them being 10-14 hour days. It's made me a lot less patient for lag and other issues in the little free time I've had, but after the first of April I'll be able to get hooked again.

Is there a consensus on headseats for the PS4? One reason I don't play with the headset too often is because I frequently can hear other players' game through their mic and I know other players can hear mine. I have several pair of really nice headphones but I'd need something for gaming with a mic.

I own a Triton headset that's pretty great quality, but it's a big pain to use (requires too many cords and plugs into a separate receiver that looks like a shitty router). I pretty much refuse to use that and am looking for something else. Wired or wireless, doesn't matter. Just so long as a wired version doesn't require me to plug into the console as well as the controller.

Oh, and CheDominik - I think I'm gonna be getting some glasses soon. Had laser surgery about 8 years ago but things are starting to get a little blurry, especially lights and lit displays. When I get my new specs I'm gunning for you. Need to get my K/D ratio up. Thanks in advance :)

I don't know of any wired headsets that don't require a cord to the console and the controller, but I haven't used many headsets.

I bought the Turtle Beach PX4's at launch. Playing with a headset is a requirement for me since I play after my wife goes to bed and we have a small house. They cost about $150 and are wireless surround. There is a wire from the headset to the controller because Sony hasn't provided blue tooth support for third party sets yet, but once they do (if they do?), it will be completely wireless. Battery life is fantastic and will charge while PS4 is in standby, like the controller.

Sound quality is very good as well. I owned the X41's for the Xbox 360 before these, which were essentially the same set, but older version. They vastly improved on the sound quality though and I get almost no interference and have never gotten any static.

I

I'll generously let that smacktalk slide and will quote it in a couple of weeks for reference.

But funny you said this, I finally(after needing them for at least 10 years) got some glasses today and the difference is mindbllowing. Today marks the beginning of a new era.

Gone are these days.
george_costanza_squinting_seinfeld.gif

turnbuckle

I don't know of any wired headsets that don't require a cord to the console and the controller, but I haven't used many headsets.

I bought the Turtle Beach PX4's at launch. Playing with a headset is a requirement for me since I play after my wife goes to bed and we have a small house. They cost about $150 and are wireless surround. There is a wire from the headset to the controller because Sony hasn't provided blue tooth support for third party sets yet, but once they do (if they do?), it will be completely wireless. Battery life is fantastic and will charge while PS4 is in standby, like the controller.

Sound quality is very good as well. I owned the X41's for the Xbox 360 before these, which were essentially the same set, but older version. They vastly improved on the sound quality though and I get almost no interference and have never gotten any static.

Thanks for the suggestion! I don't mind if I need to plug it into a controller.

I'll generously let that smacktalk slide and will quote it in a couple of weeks for reference.

But funny you said this, I finally(after needing them for at least 10 years) got some glasses today and the difference is mindbllowing. Today marks the beginning of a new era.

Gone are these days.
george_costanza_squinting_seinfeld.gif

Alright, 4-EYES! haha We'll be even matched soon. No excuses. Unless you keep killing me. I'm sure I can think of some other reason for racking up all these L's :p

btkadams

i'm sure this has been asked a lot, but i'm a newbie to this series. does anybody else feel like this game would be better in 3rd person? controlling vehicles in 3rd person is so much easier than the default 1st person view. maybe i just wish socom and warhawk weren't dead, but i feel like this game would be killer in 3rd person.

also, is there a way to set it so that the vehicle camera is 3rd person by default? i hate having to switch it every time i get on something.

Ark

I've got the Sony Gold Headset/Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 and I really like it. Haven't had a chance to test the mic yet but the sound is great; the wireless is a huge bonus too.

Bought the same headset couple months ago.. I kinda regret it because of the quality of the bluetooth. (Used it with my phone and connected to my pc, and they both sound horrible) Using it on the ps4 is great though. Another downside for me is when I'm charging it while using it. When it's plugged to my controller and ps4, I start hearing a high pitch sound which everyone in the party chat hears... My only fix for that is to plug my headset to a USB wall plug when I'm playing and that will stop the high pitch sound. Oh and last crappy thing: I have a fucking hissing sound on the headset like if my sound was too loud, but I still hear it when I mute everything and lower voice monitor..

At the moment I use the Tritton Kunai.

It is the simplest setup.

C1YT8g8m.jpg

The sound quality is excellent (I'm no audiophile though), you can pin point enemies very accurately, the mic is very clear, and it's relatively cheap.

It's really unfair joining a game with 9~ GAF on one team.

I'd love to play with some people who actually talk on the mic. I only have one gaming friend. A couple of random people on here added me, but nobody talked in the few games we played together. I am new to the series, but am good at taking/holding positions and have a decent k/d of .75

People should add me and invite me to a game sometime. I'd really like to make a few friends who play the game on a regular basis and like to call out objectives and what not:

PSN: whiskeyblues

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
Bought the same headset couple months ago.. I kinda regret it because of the quality of the bluetooth. (Used it with my phone and connected to my pc, and they both sound horrible) Using it on the ps4 is great though. Another downside for me is when I'm charging it while using it. When it's plugged to my controller and ps4, I start hearing a high pitch sound which everyone in the party chat hears... My only fix for that is to plug my headset to a USB wall plug when I'm playing and that will stop the high pitch sound. Oh and last crappy thing: I have a fucking hissing sound on the headset like if my sound was too loud, but I still hear it when I mute everything and lower voice monitor..

Sounds like a defective unit, dude. I can't speak to the blue tooth, but I haven't had any of those other issues.

Sounds like a defective unit, dude. I can't speak to the blue tooth, but I haven't had any of those other issues.

Well that's what I thought too but I couldn't return it since I got it through a friend with his discount. Oh well, second product from turtle beach and probably my last. Should've saved up for something better.

Maddocks

At the moment I use the Tritton Kunai.

It is the simplest setup.

C1YT8g8m.jpg

The sound quality is excellent (I'm no audiophile though), you can pin point enemies very accurately, the mic is very clear, and it's relatively cheap.

I have the same setup. How is your sound from other players. Sometimes I can't even hear other players even at max volume. I want to know if its just my headset or all kunai's. Because if its all kunai's then might open up another ticket and have it replaced.

I have the same setup. How is your sound from other players. Sometimes I can't even hear other players even at max volume. I want to know if its just my headset or all kunai's. Because if its all kunai's then might open up another ticket and have it replaced.

I can hear players who have decent a mic fine, pretty well but there's no enormous clarity, I find.

However, players who have the terrible PS mic that with the console, I can barely hear them. So there's an issue there for sure.

AmyS

I need some impressions & opinions of the PS3 retail release of BF3 Premium Edition that came out in 2012.

I assume it just comes with a code for the five DLC expansions (Back to Karkand, Close Quarters, Armored Kill, Aftermath, End Game)

What's the PS3 BF3 community like, still active?

Does PS3 maintain a steady 30fps most of the time and how does it compare in general to the 360 version?

Won't have a decent PC until probably close to the end of the year so I was thinking about getting the PS3 version so I can at least play all the maps and game modes that I missed out on.

Kabuto

Two-handed ballistic shield coming with Dragon's Teeth

During the animation bootcamp talk, "Using the Power of Layered Animation to Expand Premium Content in Battlefield 4", Duffin explained how the team went through through different approaches to try and deliver a shield to the game that could be used with a handgun.

Ultimately, all of the approaches failed because they didn't have enough time to create the needed animation changes or they were hindered by last-gen console memory constraints.

"We didn't have enough memory," Duffin said. "It added about a megabyte, but a megabyte on a 2006 console is a lot, so it didn't work out."

After working through three approaches, the team started looking at the possibility of having a shield that would be wielded with two hands, making it impossible to use a handgun at the same time. While a gun can't be wielded at the same time, players will be able to melee with the shield with an attack range of about one meter.

last-gen SMH

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Oh please no.

please tell me this is a joke

Not that bad. It'll be like CoD6's, where it can be useful now and then but probably pointless with grenades and flankers.

Honestly, my first thought was "Okay, so it's for Metro/Locker, then?" The Urban Combat maps with Dragon Teeth will probably work with it as well. But honestly, I think v40 minis at the feet will probably kill it's use.

I'm honestly more pissed with the cross-bow in Aftermath/BF3. I was hyped as hell for that thing but it's utterly pointless with that crazy bullet drop it has at anything besides balls-touching close.

After working through three approaches, the team started looking at the possibility of having a shield that would be wielded with two hands, making it impossible to use a handgun at the same time. While a gun can't be wielded at the same time, players will be able to melee with the shield with an attack range of about one meter.

So they're adding the riot shield from MW2?

mitchman

Gold Member
I'd love to play with some people who actually talk on the mic. I only have one gaming friend. A couple of random people on here added me, but nobody talked in the few games we played together. I am new to the series, but am good at taking/holding positions and have a decent k/d of .75
Chances are they were on a party chat outside the game, that will mute the mic in-game.

TheSeks

What's the PS3 BF3 community like, still active?

Just for shits and giggles I booted my copy up.

43 pages of servers.

21/43 pages till 0/X players on the server.

All game modes in East and South US: Softcore (only way to play) and Ranked.

Turning regions off; All mode and Softcore:

91 pages and hitting the old 1000 server max can't show more limit. 32/91 pages until 0/X on server.

So you'll be fine. It seems a bit more popular than BC1/2 was and I think that has to do with being able to rent servers and set your own rules than the matchmaking that BC1/2 used.

This is 10:30PM EDT, BTW. Probably more/less depending on the time and stuff.

You'll be fine, but if you're building a PC and wanting to play BF3 later, you should go that route. You can get Premium on sale for probably as much as the PS3 disc (or get both?) and get BF2 which is still freaking popular for nearly 10 years old.

TheSeks

bf3 is going to take years to die. You can find a full servers in bad company 2.

Not on consoles. On PC? Sure, you still have some active servers. But the matchmaking in BC1/2 hindered those communities more than anything. I can get 12-16 players some days in BC1 and then rarely a full 32 player server but it's generally less than that at all times with MM. Same for BC2.

AmyS

So you'll be fine. It seems a bit more popular than BC1/2 was and I think that has to do with being able to rent servers and set your own rules than the matchmaking that BC1/2 used.

This is 10:30PM EDT, BTW. Probably more/less depending on the time and stuff.

Thanks!

Sounds great.

scogoth

Not that bad. It'll be like CoD6's, where it can be useful now and then but probably pointless with grenades and flankers.

Honestly, my first thought was "Okay, so it's for Metro/Locker, then?" The Urban Combat maps with Dragon Teeth will probably work with it as well. But honestly, I think v40 minis at the feet will probably kill it's use.

I'm honestly more pissed with the cross-bow in Aftermath/BF3. I was hyped as hell for that thing but it's utterly pointless with that crazy bullet drop it has at anything besides balls-touching close.
Nah your just bad at sniping, that thing was good fun for head shots

TheSeks

Nah your just bad at sniping, that thing was good fun for head shots

Probably. But I still stand by that sucker having HORRIBLE drop. Even the "sniper bolts" had pretty shitty drop.

Maddocks

PS3? The last time I checked the stats there seemed to still be a small community. 360 is completely dead :( BF3 is still alive and kicking on the 360 with about 10 pages of servers going.

Yup on ps3. My buddy plays it at random times on random days and hes always telling me how its full still. Just says how the game is so slow compared to 3 and 4. But BC2 has the tompson and m1 grand, so its automatically better.

TheSeks

Yup on ps3.

Calling bullshit. I tried that months back and it was deader than BC1.

I want to see receipts and time-stamps on a 24-hour marathon in that games "server"/round population.

TheSeks

Drop isn't an issue. It had perfectly consistent drop so once you adjusted to it you would be sniping heads all day.

If there was test servers on BF3, I'd put some time into it and seeing. But the drop, still, was horribad. I didn't put any time into it on PC so maybe it's better in terms of drop there but on PS3 it was pretty terrible.

You can find full servers in 1942, Battlefield games have been pretty good at longevity, although it feels like BF3 and BC2 didn't have it as good as BF2 and 1942. Can't comment on 2142 because I can't be arsed to play it again.

Sniper bolt seemed fine, explosive bolt's drop is pretty terrible though.

Edit: The ballistic shield should reflect the bullets to enemy helicopters, helicopters pretty op after all.

I want to see receipts and time-stamps on a 24-hour marathon in that games "server"/round population.

Edit: I'm almost certain I was way off. I simply remember being some what comparable to Halo: Reach. Could be similar to the way 1943 is still active, but will quickly die off in the late evening.

Milly79

People should add me and invite me to a game sometime. I'd really like to make a few friends who play the game on a regular basis and like to call out objectives and what not:

PSN: whiskeyblues

Honestly, the games I've been playing I have never chatted with them. Even the games where it was 3 of us, we stuck together and won pretty handedly. I really have no issues speaking, I just figured if they're in a party they can invite if they want. :)

Maddocks

lol I'm not going to go back to bad company 2. Shit doesn't even have prone, no thanks.

TheSeks

You can find full servers in 1942, Battlefield games have been pretty good at longevity, although it feels like BF3 and BC2 didn't have it as good as BF2 and 1942. Can't comment on 2142 because I can't be arsed to play it again.

Sniper bolt seemed fine, explosive bolt's drop is pretty terrible though.

Edit: The ballistic shield should reflect the bullets to enemy helicopters, helicopters pretty op after all.

They're talking consoles, though. I already know PC's longitivity. But BC1/2 were DEAD and so was 1943. I blame that on matchmaking and not having the ability to see map/servers (if multiple) and seeing how "dead" the game is/isn't like you can PS360 BF3 right this moment thanks to the server browser.

DICE finally adding a server browser to the console versions after dropping it post-BF2: Modern Combat is probably the best move they did in a while.

They're talking consoles, though. I already know PC's longitivity. But BC1/2 were DEAD and so was 1943. I blame that on matchmaking and not having the ability to see map/servers (if multiple) and seeing how "dead" the game is/isn't like you can PS360 BF3 right this moment thanks to the server browser.

DICE finally adding a server browser to the console versions after dropping it post-BF2: Modern Combat is probably the best move they did in a while.

My bad, should've paid more attention.

And yeah, a server browser goes a long way in helping a multiplayer game's longevity, if dedicated servers can be used there's really no excuse not to have one. A damn shame Titanfall apparently doesn't have one, although I can't say I'm that surprised considering it's from the same people who made MW2.

Top Bottom