• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

mitchman

Gold Member
Nine times out of ten that I play that map the C flag turns into a 30-minute long 'lets camp on the rooftop and shoot people coming out of the elevator'. I agree with the clutter thing though.

You know it's true in your heart.

My brother. That building only helps other people get on roofs. I'll bring it down on min 1 from now on.

I agree, C on shanghai is a no-go zone for me until the skyscraper comes down. I just can't stand the rooftop on that thing.

Paganmoon

I agree, C on shanghai is a no-go zone for me until the skyscraper comes down. I just can't stand the rooftop on that thing.

I love it, can use it to parachute down to any of the other objectives, never stay there long just long enough to see which objective I need to go to, then it's out the window.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You know it's true in your heart.

See image again.

Building staying up means I can James Bond my way to C on either side. Can't do that if some asshole like Ocho brings it down in five minutes. Then it becomes a stale mate on jetskis.

cresto

I just bought this game for XBO. These weapon unlocks are ludicrous. What the hell were they thinking? FOUR stalks? What the hell? How can I ever possibly compete against higher levels at this point? Any way to unlock this shit right away?

I just bought this game for XBO. These weapon unlocks are ludicrous. What the hell were they thinking? FOUR stalks? What the hell? How can I ever possibly compete against higher levels at this point? Any way to unlock this shit right away?

The starting weapons are completely viable. As long as you have decent recoil compensation and burst fire at ranges, you'll do just fine. The key to do good is know your maps. Know where the enemy can come from, and only move where you know there is cover.

SJS

DICE offers instant unlocking (iirc? was it limited time?) for pistols and DMRs because people are too lazy to use them correctly.

It's a great option for you: you can immediately start off with the ACE 53 SV.

TheSeks

Nope, that ended a few weeks ago.

Play the game and use XP boosts and double-XP like the rest of us did before they offered those shortcuts, nub.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
DICE offers instant unlocking (iirc? was it limited time?) for pistols and DMRs because people are too lazy to use them correctly.

It's a great option for you: you can immediately start off with the ACE 53 SV.

I think that was just offered for fan appreciation month and have been pulled now.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with the starting weapons. The AK-12 you have to watch you auto fire a little, use the engineer class to get carbines (shouldn't take long) and the first carbine is one of the best weapons in the game. First LMG sucks, I'll give you that, but guns unlock very quickly in this game.

You can unlock one of the best LMGs by playing the campaign. So with the AK12, the AK5c and the M249(?) you're good to go. The RFB is useful to, as is the MX4. Unlocking the guns takes a while but you're not really at a disadvantage.

Zareth

Did I miss something or why are so many people using the SAR-21 now? Was it buffed?

It's probably because that thing has basically zero recoil so its very friendly to new players and it's also very good at medium to long ranges which is what 95% of BF4 gameplay falls into.

SJS

It's probably because that thing has basically zero recoil so its very friendly to new players and it's also very good at medium to long ranges which is what 95% of BF4 gameplay falls into.

I think the SAR-21 is ok (and people like its low spread, not its low recoil), but really, you're deluding yourself if you think it's good at "medium to long range". It's a CQC-Mid gun.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
Did I miss something or why are so many people using the SAR-21 now? Was it buffed?

I have a theory on this. When the game first came out, youtube commentators were declaring it the "best gun in the game." They hadn't used every gun yet and, as mentioned already, it had almost no recoil, so they praised it all over. I think new players buy the game and go to youtube for hints, see these videos and think it's a great gun and they all use it. Just a theory.

The starting weapons are completely viable. As long as you have decent recoil compensation and burst fire at ranges, you'll do just fine. The key to do good is know your maps. Know where the enemy can come from, and only move where you know there is cover.

For reals. Unlocking the Carbines is so easy and once you have the AK5C, you're halfway to being the best player on the server Also, AK-12 is solid and the SCAR-H is a BEAST, 870 MCS is one of the best shotties, and the Type 88 ain't half bad (and you can unlock the M249 by playing through the campaign)!

I still stand by the SAR-21 being a great mid-long range weapon. I have a lot of fun using it on big maps.

Zareth

I think the SAR-21 is ok (and people like its low spread, not its low recoil), but really, you're deluding yourself if you think it's good at "medium to long range". It's a CQC-Mid gun.

The SAR only has a RPM of 600 so I don't understand why you would think that this gun is good for CQC, sure it may work for CQC but it would be crushed by almost any other AR at that range given equal skill.

I would recommend trying this guy with the angled grip + heavy barrel combo and you will see what I mean by saying this gun can light people up at longer ranges when compared to most other ARs.

cresto

I get that they are viable. It's more like I'm months behind this game and the amount of unlocks and time commitment to get those sort of things are almost overwhelming. Think about trying to unlock jet's at this point. I won't stand a chance in the sky.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
I get that they are viable. It's more like I'm months behind this game and the amount of unlocks and time commitment to get those sort of things are almost overwhelming. Think about trying to unlock jet's at this point. I won't stand a chance in the sky.

They start everyone out with the basics of what you need in jets or any other vehicle for that matter. jets you get your heat seekers, flare and gyro. You are basically almost on the same boat. This assumes you know how to fly at all. I used to play with a guy on 360 and he could go bare and still beat most everyone. Jets are just about skill, not your unlocks.

Stop looking at it as an impediment and start looking at it as an adventure and all the cool things you have to look forward to!

Zareth

If you have access to the air superiority mode from china rising and use some XP boosting items the unlocks for the stealth jets can be unlocked fairly fast just by focusing on getting the capture points and picking off the odd jet as you are able and learning the ropes.

cresto

I'm stuck with the game so I guess it will just take time. I just don't understand the number of attachments. I will have fun with it once I figure out the maps and maybe getting people to play with. If anyone is on the XBO and wants to help a newbie (previously played every BF game, but disliked 3), hit me up. GT: Pesky Feller

Tubie

The starter weapons in the game are actually really good for new players.

If you go Assault the first 3 assault rifles are all really good. The AK12 is great and I would recommend it till the M416, you can pretty much stick to that till you unlock them all or find another AR that fits your style better. The SCAR-H can take practice to get used to but it's a monster if you can control it. For Engineer (PDW) I would just use the MX4 and do Domination or TDM with it (PDW's are great at close range situations). It will level fast and you will unlock Carbines and the AK-5C which is an amazing weapon. I would switch to the ACE 52 CQB once you unlock that. For Support (LMG) you might struggle with the U-100 MK5 for a bit, its pretty much a meh assault rifle disguised as an LMG. The second LMG though, the Type-88 LMG is amazing and you can use it pretty much all the way to the MG4.

The game can seem like a huge beast when you first start, but you really do get better with time. Go for the objectives, don't worry about your K/D and switch things up from time to time if you find yourself in a bad streak.

cresto

The starter weapons in the game are actually really good for new players.

If you go Assault the first 3 assault rifles are all really good. The AK12 is great and I would recommend it till the M416, you can pretty much stick to that till you unlock them all or find another AR that fits your style better. The SCAR-H can take practice to get used to but it's a monster if you can control it. For Engineer (PDW) I would just use the MX4 and do Domination or TDM with it (PDW's are great at close range situations). It will level fast and you will unlock Carbines and the AK-5C which is an amazing weapon. I would switch to the ACE 52 CQB once you unlock that. For Support (LMG) you might struggle with the U-100 MK5 for a bit, its pretty much a meh assault rifle disguised as an LMG. The second LMG though, the Type-88 LMG is amazing and you can use it pretty much all the way to the MG4.

The game can seem like a huge beast when you first start, but you really do get better with time. Go for the objectives, don't worry about your K/D and switch things up from time to time if you find yourself in a bad streak.

Thanks, Tubie. Any youtubers that are good for strategies or weapon guides? I don't know many who post BF4 vids like COD gameplay tip videos.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
Thanks, Tubie. Any youtubers that are good for strategies or weapon guides? I don't know many who post BF4 vids like COD gameplay tip videos.

Lvlcap, xfactor has a good "being a better noob" series, matimio, Luetin09. Start with those and they refer to others often that may be helpful as well.

I took a month break from playing this (on the 360) and it honestly is wayyy better. I played all day and a shitload of fun. No sign of the one hit kill, which annoyed me the most. Shotguns also seemed to have gotten a big accuracy buff, and slugs seem to be as effective as BF3 slugs, which makes me a happy panda :D

3 things.

Firstly, GG GAF, nice speaking to all of you. I and to bug out the party because other people joined. Also apologies Dominik, I didn't see the last message you had sent me.

Secondly, I know ThreeBarHero got some hate mail, who was the guy? I got one, it was tame, I also think I converted him to not hate me.

DVAcgQ2h.jpg

Lastly, M60 + Suppressor = Hnnnnnnng

SJS

3 things.

Firstly, GG GAF, nice speaking to all of you. I and to bug out the party because other people joined. Also apologies Dominik, I didn't see the last message you had sent me.

Secondly, I know ThreeBarHero got some hate mail, who was the guy? I got one, it was tame, I also think I converted him to not hate me.

DVAcgQ2h.jpg

Lastly, M60 + Suppressor = Hnnnnnnng

Yeah, that's the dude! He shit talked me a bit but when I told him that he should live up to his name and learn to pilot aircraft, he claimed that I was taking him too seriously. Funny kid.

Man, I was playing like shit earlier, though. I don't know what was up, but I was physically disoriented in some way and was actually sweating trying to focus on the screen... I haven't really been like that before. I also had trouble not raging hard over the mic near the end of my series. I think I might be sick. :(

Somehow though, my stats didn't suffer. Thank god.

I'll try to get on tonight and see if this happens to me again. If I RQ abruptly, advance apologies, GAF.

TheSeks

http://puu.sh/7DiR7.PNG

Capping flags sounds too scary for me. People might shoot me if I try to do that.

Stop flying, oh "JETS ARE UNDERPOWERED IN BF4 *rage rage rage*r"

Nerf air vehicles more, DICE. Plz.

Nevah.gif

And to be fair helicopters are the ones most fucked over by the insane AA in this game. Jets only have to deal with the bullshit mobility hits which every other vehicle has, and active radar.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I played today, intent on getting the last two jet fighter ribbons I need. Yeah, that didn't happen. I think the worst thing was spawning in, and immediately getting rushed from behind the spawn by both of the enemy team's stealth jets. And the rubber-banding, gawd.

I hate this assignment so, so much.

Is that like, a toy story reference or something? Never seen it... are you making fun of me??? :(

Not at all. I make that reference every.single.time someone says 'out the window'. Don't worry about it, but that is a rather funny part of the film.

Stop looking at it as an impediment and start looking at it as an adventure and all the cool things you have to look forward to!

I'm very much looking forward to all the stuff I could potentially unlock.

It was, but now we are going to make fun of you for not having seen Toy Story. How have you let this happen?

It really is so great. Well worth seeing.

Omni

I wish that they'd add another solid carbine into the game. I'm bored with the AK5C but nothing else feels as versatile with a suppressor on it

I mean sure, the M4 is really solid. But the range is awful when suppressed. MTAR is still awesome post-nerf, but outside of CQ you might as well be flinging pebbles with a shovel at the enemy. And for some reason the ACE 21/52 just feel weird to me. Really dislike them. I know they're supposedly the best or something... but I really don't see it

*shrugs*

Maybe I'll just go back to DMRs. That could be interesting.

Rey

Yeah, that's the dude! He shit talked me a bit but when I told him that he should live up to his name and learn to pilot aircraft, he claimed that I was taking him too seriously. Funny kid.

Man, I was playing like shit earlier, though. I don't know what was up, but I was physically disoriented in some way and was actually sweating trying to focus on the screen... I haven't really been like that before. I also had trouble not raging hard over the mic near the end of my series. I think I might be sick. :(

Somehow though, my stats didn't suffer. Thank god.

I'll try to get on tonight and see if this happens to me again. If I RQ abruptly, advance apologies, GAF.

If you wanna rage on mic its ok by me. I had to keep myself from raging many times last night. Don't want to bother other people in the chat with my swearing but it didn't help: Was also sweating from all the stress I couldn't vent hehehe

TheSeks

A live tank is better than a dead tank.

A dead tank that took the objective is better than a tank that is alive and didn't take the objective.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Only if you can aim, though. :(
I'm glad if I don't have to waste an entire magazine on one guy.

Even if you can aim you still have to spam the DMR a little to get kills. That 4-shot kill.

(Though I think DICE has tweaked the headshots to be 1-2 kills now. I did notice a headshot bonus popping up on that. Though it's DAMN hard to get headshots for me with the DMR against Cabrine/etc. with suppression and all that stuff going on, plus big/huge maps)

Ocho

A dead tank that took the objective is better than a tank that is alive and didn't take the objective.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

The objective always falls. Always. Sometimes you can't just simple rush in. It's a pretty big target. Taking an objective with a tank requires patience, awareness, and a lot of smart play.

Also, when I fall back from capture point is when I'm pretty sure I'll blow up in the next three seconds. No need for that. I don't even think capturing the point is worth if I can fall back for 15 seconds, repair, return full health, and kill everything on sight.

Bombless

Judging by Levelcap's videos, the Naval Strike maps look great. Will play Carrier Assault all day, every day. Shame they dropped the "Escape the exploding titan" though.

Top Bottom