• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

Hey guys, I just got BF4 today and am wondering if anyone has tips for a newcomer. This is my first battlefield game and I'd like to avoid looking like a total noob and pissing people off with my lack of know how.

Well first thing is you have to use your classes special traits. Drop ammo boxes, health packs and repair vehicles. And if you stick with your squad and play the objective, you won't piss people off.
K/D ratio is secondary, if you help your team.

Well first thing is you have to use your classes special traits. Drop ammo boxes, health packs and repair vehicles. And if you stick with your squad and play the objective, you won't piss people off.
K/D ratio is secondary, if you help your team.

K/D is damn near last imo when it comes to this game. Supporting your team is number one both with support items and taking objectives smartly.

If you know somebody in the group is a better pilot than you, pass it up, hang out the side and support, repair whatever.

Everything else Che said is right on the money. Try your best and (most) people wont get mad.

Overdoziz

Banned
K/D matters a lot, a dead player can't complete any objectives. Don't be one of those people who keeps throwing themselves at objectives wasting their teams' tickets.

K/D matters a lot, a dead player can't complete any objectives. Don't be one of those people who keeps throwing themselves at objectives wasting their teams' tickets.

Well I meant it more as in dont worry about camping and stuff like to that to have a high K/D.

Don't be the guy going 6-22 or 3-18, sure, but beyond that? I mean you go 22-6 but only manage 4800 points and finish 13th, you didn't have a better round than the guy who finished 4th with 8600 points but went 7-12. It's always contextual.

ChrisW

Anyone else noticed that on the test servers one team always destroys the other, think team balancing isn't that great I've gone three rounds now where we lost with the other team having nearly 700 tickets left and controlling the whole map

Kabuto

Hey guys, I just got BF4 today and am wondering if anyone has tips for a newcomer. This is my first battlefield game and I'd like to avoid looking like a total noob and pissing people off with my lack of know how.

Like the others said, use the equipment that your class has to help your team (drop med-kits, revive, repair, drop ammo, and PLD enemy vehicles). Also keep pressing the spot button even if you don't actually see anyone since the game could spot people you couldn't see.

I somewhat agree with you. My teammates don't have to have a crazy good K/D, but I expect them to at least cover my back/give supporting fire when we're capping a flag or rushing.

I'm playing around with the air vehicles in the test range, and boy do I suck at piloting them. It seems better in 3rd person. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually.

Thanks for the tips guys.

The test servers play really well. Hope they expand them to more than just op mortar soon

Although the game does feel a bit less responsive on them. Any one else get that feeling?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Lol. Is the G36C really that bad?

No. And honestly
in before Kane
it didn't need a buff. It was fine since launch. Just like it was in BF3.

Disagree strongly. Dying with no cause is more important than KDR. If you're dying with no ability to arm, then you're not helping. Meanwhile, if you're dying while arming or capping flags, you're helping more than those that hang-back sniping and going 0-13 in sniping.

Don't be the guy going 6-22 or 3-18, sure, but beyond that? I mean you go 22-6 but only manage 4800 points and finish 13th, you didn't have a better round than the guy who finished 4th with 8600 points but went 7-12. It's always contextual.

Ding ding.

No. And honestly
in before Kane

Disagree strongly. Dying with no cause is more important than KDR. If you're dying with no ability to arm, then you're not helping. Meanwhile, if you're dying while arming or capping flags, you're helping more than those that hang-back sniping and going 0-13 in sniping.

Ding ding.

The great Seks speaks. It is settled :p

No. And honestly
in before Kane

Oh no you di'int.

Come to think of it I wish the game had the Assault Rifle variant of the G36, with the special scope a la F2000. That would have been pretty cool.

Odrion

Banned
Hell, if I'm too far away from any objective and there's no vehicles around I'll suicide. yolo

Also despite two patches saying otherwise I swear the 1X sights still disables the speed boost on bullpups, meeeh.

terrible

Banned

You can cap or arm as much as you want but if you can't hold them afterwards because you're dying it's kind of pointless though. Just whoring for K/D and nothing else is useless but if you can kill a ton of guys before you die while playing the objective you'll dominate.

TheSeks

You can cap or arm as much as you want but if you can't hold them afterwards because you're dying it's kind of pointless though. Just whoring for K/D and nothing else is useless but if you can kill a ton of guys before you die while playing the objective you'll dominate.

So... you're basically agreeing with what I'm saying?

KDR matters very little. You can go 1-40 and be the top of the leaderboard and winner because you bled/armed/whatever the objectives while a sniper sitting in the back "supporting" goes 4-2 with little point gain.

I really wish DICE would do away with the KDR and WLR stats. Utterly pointless (okay, WLR isn't but it's just eDick stroking)

Ark

So... you're basically agreeing with what I'm saying?

KDR matters very little. You can go 1-40 and be the top of the leaderboard and winner because you bled/armed/whatever the objectives while a sniper sitting in the back "supporting" goes 4-2 with little point gain.

I really wish DICE would do away with the KDR and WLR stats. Utterly pointless (okay, WLR isn't but it's just eDick stroking)

Depends whether you're talking about Rush or Conquest.

In Rush I'd agree, but in Conquest there are far more strategic ways to out-play the enemy without throwing your life away for a cap.

TheSeks

Even in Conquest is the same thing. Cap the flags and start the bleed: bleed them faster than they kill you/vice-versa. The only thing "KDR" matters in Conquest in regards to is not bleeding the tickets faster than your ticket bleed rate happens if you're on the losing/non-majority side as a defensive mechanism.

So long as the flags are held, dying for a flag is better than not dying for a flag and losing two-five tickets per second.

Ark

Even in Conquest is the same thing. Cap the flags and start the bleed: bleed them faster than they kill you/vice-versa. The only thing "KDR" matters in Conquest in regards to is not bleeding the tickets faster than your ticket bleed rate happens if you're on the losing/non-majority side as a defensive mechanism.

So long as the flags are held, dying for a flag is better than not dying for a flag and losing two-five tickets per second.

Dying for a flag is pointless, literally. I don't know about others but I live for those 150 points for a cap. You need to be alive long enough to cap the flag and then defend it/clear the area before moving onto the next flag. Capping a flag and then immediately dying just to have the flag re-capped doesn't accomplish anything.

For the record I agree that going 7-12 with 12k score is better than going 43-9 with 12k score.
But going 43-9 feels so much better :p

TheSeks

Dying for a flag that your team rushes over to defend is not pointless. It's the same in Rush: Arming those crates and dying while having support coming up is better than dying while hanging back and not stopping their bleeding for 1-2 seconds/breaking their line to have them haul ass back to the crates.

terrible

Banned
Dying for a flag is pointless, literally. I don't know about others but I live for those 150 points for a cap. You need to be alive long enough to cap the flag and then defend it/clear the area before moving onto the next flag. Capping a flag and then immediately dying just to have the flag re-capped doesn't accomplish anything.

For the record I agree that going 7-12 with 12k score is better than going 43-9 with 12k score.

That's basically what I was trying to say. Also staying alive allows teammates to spawn on you so you can have a better shot at capping and defending. That's huge.

In the end the better you are at killing the easier it is to cap and hold too so K/D is very important if you want to be as effective as possible at playing objectives. A 5 K/D guy playing an objective is going to be a lot more scary to play against then a 1 K/D guy playing an objective.

Taurus

What? If you are good enough to dominate the game and knock almost 50 tickets out of opposing team, please do so!

While getting 12k points you are definitely doing things right anyway.

gl0w

Great matches today with Euro GAF. I was playing with my clan PSK.

We didn't give a chance to the opposite team :D

SJS

- Although you may be confused by the fact that the rest of the people in this topic are debating over the importance of K/D and team contribution, there are important ideas that you need to take from the debate. Battlefield is *neither* a game of simply killing or a game where you blindly run into the objective. You need to see the bigger picture in regards to each game. Everything, from the average kill to a tank repair to capturing the closest flags in the beginning of each CQ game, can (according to situational salience) contribute greatly to your team and each one of your stats.

- This all said: it's never bad to have a high K/D and KPM combo. If you can become good enough at inserting yourself into high pressure situations and winning fights in the process, you can unequivocally lead a team, even in game modes like Rush which have specific objectives. (EDIT: Your score / SPM / GSPM also tends to go up naturally if you can manage this combo.)

- This was also my first Battlefield game (well, almost... I played BC2 for like 2 days). My K/D, GSPM and SPM, and KPM all increase slightly the more I play. How do I manage this? I understand the game before I play it. Although you can learn a great deal by reading the basic descriptions of each weapon (NOT the "bars" like "stability", those lie to you), the most important source of information regarding this game comes from symthic.com, which tells you the stats of each weapon and attachment. IMO, the site will make clear to you that the M16A4, ACE 53 SV, M240B, and M98B are all excellent yet highly underused weapons, but it is up to you (and better for you) to figure out what works and why.

- A particularly important takeaway from the aforementioned site is that aiming in Battlefield is, for the most part, not entirely skill based. Every non-sniper weapon has a base amount of firing spread which increases if it is rapidly fired. You need to engage in luck management in all combat situations by bursting / firing under a firerate cap most of the time; as you get better at this, you can determine when it is smart to fire automatically. Also, you may want to select your weapons based upon their spread in various combat situations.

- Every "kit" (assault, engineer, support, recon) has a ton of potential uses. Learn how to use them to support your team. There are some options that are clearly better than others (i.e. medic bag is better than medic packs, and the SRAW outclasses other launchers in a majority of situations), but there's enough variety to experiment with and develop a playstyle / help your team in specific situations.

- Learn vehicle functions. If you get good enough with them, you can bring about the "push" into an objective with minimal or subpar assistance from your team. You can also take out other vehicles to prevent the enemy team from doing that. (RELATED: Get Active Protection for ground vehicles.)

- Learn to spawn. No, seriously. Learn to strike a rational balance between being able to contribute immediately as soon as you spawn and not getting shot as soon as you spawn. Note the "WARNING" on squadmates and try not to spawn on those who have it.

- Play with GAF. We're frequently better than the average player. You will get flanked less when you squad up with us.

SJS

Who do I talk to about joining the gaf clan? I play on ps4, psn name is gandalfmcgee

Our platoon isn't really a clan, but you can start by signing up via the console buttons on the first page of this topic. Then just bitchmoan in this topic until you get added.

Our platoon isn't really a clan, but you can start by signing up via the console buttons on the first page of this topic. Then just bitchmoan in this topic until you get added.

Thanks, noticed it after I posted. Luckily though bitchmoaning is my specialty so I can do that

TheSeks

Carrier Assault's still pretty easy solo so long as your team knows what to do. Slamming the attack boat into the underground and mowing people down is hilarious and DICE should probably tweak the mode badly.

At least I got the NS weapons now. \o/ Just leaves getting a Cannonball kill (for the achievement) and finishing up winning rounds/playing for 10 hours on Naval Strike.

Easier than Second Assault. I'm missing 3 Origin achievements in SA and one of them is jet or helicopter kills. Ugh.

Kabuto

Addressing Battlefield 4 Rubber-banding Issues

We wanted to provide a quick update on the issues with Battlefield 4 “rubber-banding” some players on certain platforms experienced during matches with 64-players.

Looking into this further, we’re unhappy with our server performance, so we’ll be upgrading the hardware as soon as possible, investing more to deliver a better experience.

As soon as we know the exact timetable, we’ll let you know the ETA. Reducing lag for these players is absolutely a TOP priority for us to solve and we expect to have the solution very soon.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So I think my verdict on Naval Strike is that the maps are (mostly) good stuff but carrier mode is butt. The idea is conceptually fine but the implementation due to static carriers and simplistic breaching and interiors. I've not played a game where the first to breach didn't win, and very shortly after. It's like a poor man's rush stuck on the end of otherwise decent conquest, which is a shame, as it could (and should) have been something special.

The maps themselves I actually quite like in conquest. They're all pretty open and don't have dumb bottlenecks. Good vehicle mixes without ships being too fucking overpowered and tedious. They seem to have listened to some of the Paracel Storm complaints and given the landmass enough interiors and varied topography so boats usually have to work for their prize, or the areas boats dominate do not make up the whole map. Downside is that they all seem to play a lot better with sub-64 players. One map in particular, the name escapes me, is a gigantic sniper shitfest with 64 players, and I won't be having none of that. Otherwise I actually really like the maps and am happy to have them form part of server rosters.

In other news: Golmund Railway has joined my *auto quit* list. I get the appeal if you want to wank vehicles for half an hour, but fuck that. Dreadful map otherwise.

Hystzen

Golmund is like a even more shit version of Harvest Day in BfC2 but at least on that map infantry had some options not many

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Playing on regular servers after trying a Test Server.... EWWWW
But apparently they found the issue! YAY!

BASED DICE !

mitchman

Gold Member
In other news: Golmund Railway has joined my *auto quit* list. I get the appeal if you want to wank vehicles for half an hour, but fuck that. Dreadful map otherwise.

Stick with A-C and it's actually quite fun with lots of infantry action. Once you have to cap flags elsewhere, it's not fun anymore.

Looking into this further, we�re unhappy with our server performance, so we�ll be upgrading the hardware as soon as possible, investing more to deliver a better experience.

This is bullshit. Any armchair dev (players) who experienced the game back in December would have had this as their top guess as to the cause of the problems – we all noticed it only happened when there were 64 players almost exclusively!

This reeks of EA cheapness. The question is whether EA had them stall, hoping the player base would eat the shit sandwich, or whether they thought this was some kind of problem DICE could just code away, because four months to 'discover' this problem is a bald-faced lie.

Either way, I once again feel like EA/DICE owes me something for this 4 months of shit performance. (And no, fuck off off with the Gold battlepacks and the double XP).

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
This is bullshit. Any armchair dev (players) who experienced the game back in December would have had this as their top guess as to the cause of the problems – we all noticed it only happened when there were 64 players almost exclusively!

This reeks of EA cheapness. The question is whether EA had them stall, hoping the player base would eat the shit sandwich, or whether they thought this was some kind of problem DICE could just code away, because four months to 'discover' this problem is a bald-faced lie.

Either way, I once again feel like EA/DICE owes me something for this 4 months of shit performance. (And no, fuck off off with the Gold battlepacks and the double XP).

Don't forget that scope for the magnum, dude!

DICE should delay the next DLC and instead focus on redesigning the carrier breach, because this shit is stupid.

Just hand the round over to whichever team breaches first. Steamroll starts there.

scogoth

So I think my verdict on Naval Strike is that the maps are (mostly) good stuff but carrier mode is butt. The idea is conceptually fine but the implementation due to static carriers and simplistic breaching and interiors. I've not played a game where the first to breach didn't win, and very shortly after. It's like a poor man's rush stuck on the end of otherwise decent conquest, which is a shame, as it could (and should) have been something special.

The maps themselves I actually quite like in conquest. They're all pretty open and don't have dumb bottlenecks. Good vehicle mixes without ships being too fucking overpowered and tedious. They seem to have listened to some of the Paracel Storm complaints and given the landmass enough interiors and varied topography so boats usually have to work for their prize, or the areas boats dominate do not make up the whole map. Downside is that they all seem to play a lot better with sub-64 players. One map in particular, the name escapes me, is a gigantic sniper shitfest with 64 players, and I won't be having none of that. Otherwise I actually really like the maps and am happy to have them form part of server rosters.

I agree that the breaching is mostly stupid however I do have to say drunken GAF has played a few rounds with epic comebacks. Because most people immediately switch to defines once your team is breached our squad is able to cap points breach theres and then push through their moms while our carrier is a clusterfuck. Doesn't happen every game but when it does it feels amazing. I think there should be more breach points and it randomly selects different ones each game.

how much advantage does ping give you? i was in a server where i had 35-40 ping while some guys on the other team had single digit pings and i simply could *not* get the best of them in 1:1 encounters no matter how hard i tried.

TheSeks

I agree that the breaching is mostly stupid however I do have to say drunken GAF has played a few rounds with epic comebacks. Because most people immediately switch to defines once your team is breached our squad is able to cap points breach theres and then push through their moms while our carrier is a clusterfuck. Doesn't happen every game but when it does it feels amazing. I think there should be more breach points and it randomly selects different ones each game.

They probably really need to change the carrier design.

Like I said earlier: Upper and lower floor. Go down the stairs after A blows. Wait for B to open up (with a boat, pref. *trollface*) and then arm B in minutes.

The carrier design isn't a confusing thing after you've been on the carrier for a few minutes to understand the design. AFAIK you can't get "top-side" so people that parachute up there have no counter, but the floors inside the carrier are just two floors. Disappointing, really.

Top Bottom