• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Watch it till the end. I promise you won't regret it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXTm96qEX-A

I regret it. I'm kinda annoyed the jetskis didn't fly off on take-off just because someone was sitting on them. (Or the jet being able to get out of submerged water that easily)

Ocho said:
Defending is where the true heroes lie.

I don't disagree with that. But I agree with Splinter that you sit in the back and don't cap OR defend the flags right after we cap. *cough cough cough*
Or you run away from my repairs like EVERY freaking tank pilot. Dicks.

Head glitching and horrible netcode does not stop people from playing BF4 competitively? interesting. How is that even possible?

I'm kinda annoyed at the domination map set-up. Most of the time the flags are crammed into too small an area even for 5v5.

Just look at the NS map that has two rush sets on a carrier. The carrier doesn't change no matter the mode so Domination has THREE flags on two floors that are basically hallway-sized chokepoints for the entire map. It's bullshit. I played it one round and just quit in disgust. Map design has kinda gone downhill in regards to fitting modes. Why the hell is Rush AND Domination on that carrier? There's no excuse for it!

Ocho

I don't disagree with that. But I agree with Splinter that you sit in the back and don't cap OR defend the flags right after we cap. *cough cough cough*
Or you run away from my repairs like EVERY freaking tank pilot. Dicks.

Wha.. you.. moth.. How do we block people in GAF? Asking for a friend.

Sometimes I just sit back and frag (when we are already in control of flag bleed and there's no need to get that 4th or 5th flag, leaving the others vulnerable -- something 90% of players, including drunken squad, don't seem to understand), but I always try to defend the points that no one cares about, or defend the paths to said points.

TheSeks

Wha.. you.. moth.. How do we block people in GAF? Asking for a friend.

Hey now. I said I agree! I'm in the same mind-set of capping and holding points. But you do have a tendency to hang-further back than on the flag which drives me bananas at times.

Is that a public server he is in? If so he is a dick for dicking around in a public server like that.

Yup, keeps complaining whenever someone spoils his impressive-but-rather-pointless stunts. Him and his friends are a pain in the ass and a guaranteed loss on whichever team they join.

Sometimes I just sit back and frag (when we are already in control of flag bleed and there's no need to get that 4th or 5th flag, leaving the others vulnerable -- something 90% of players, including drunken squad, don't seem to understand), but I always try to defend the points that no one cares about, or defend the paths to said points.

I don't do that
somtimes
!

TheSeks

Yup, keeps complaining whenever someone spoils his impressive-but-rather-pointless stunts. Him and his friends are a pain in the ass and a guaranteed loss on whichever team they join.

BUT I GET ADVERTISED BY BATTLEFIELD'S TWITTER/FB/INSTAGRAM! (derp) -Youtube Celebs getting sharks instead of fixed netcode.

Speaking of Facebook, from the comments:

1016945_469205526542175_8552455112567564289_n.jpg

I'm dying.

I've been noticing whole squads setting up on the islands directly in front of the carriers on Operation Mortar with soflams and rockets basically spawnkilling the other team's vehicles. Gets pretty annoying.

TheSeks

I've been noticing whole squads setting up on the islands directly in front of the carriers on Operation Mortar with soflams and rockets basically spawnkilling the other team's vehicles. Gets pretty annoying.

Welcome to DICE not field-testing their maps and tweaking. "We play like gentlemen" -Demize99 2012.

kris.

Banned
issues aside, i've been playing this for a whole day and i'm ready to adopt it as my main online fps. call of duty can suck it, this game is fucking amazing

elyetis

Welcome to DICE not field-testing their maps and tweaking. "We play like gentlemen" -Demize99 2012.
Demize99 proved again and again that he can't balance the game even if his life depended on it. There is pretty much zero logic in what is said then done, need month of crying for explosive OPness in BC2 rush to be patched, same balance between PC and console of the game meant OP spawn killing chopper on console while apparently they were far more balanced on PC ( since tracer need accuracy, which the mouse gave far better than controler ). There is probably just as much to say about bf3 & 4, but that's just some of the numerous thing which really got me while I was invested in BC2 ( let's not even speak about their CM daniel matros -who got promoted to Producer- because there is insult to be thrown ).

TheSeks

You're missing them talking about that balance process happening during "Live" in that link.

Hence, "they play like gentlemen" and don't break shit purposely until it's live/in our hands.

It's mind boggling and why I have that book marked every time the comment comes up.

elyetis

You're missing them talking about that balance process happening during "Live" in that link.

Hence, "they play like gentlemen" and don't break shit purposely until it's live/in our hands.

It's mind boggling and why I have that book marked every time the comment comes up.
Their comment about modding being a declining trend and too hard for ppl nowadays, just around the time of DayZ explosive success was quite funny too, well funny but mostly sad knowing people like Demize99 actually comes from that scene.

TheSeks

To be fair to them: Frostbite does use a lot of middleware. Some of it EA internal (ANT/animations) so I can understand why mods aren't available for BC2->on as easily as they were in the past.

But yeah, the comment is mistimed there.

Well, let's be fair here, at least the Battlefield community does play like gentlemen and doesn't abuse shit.

=\

( let's not even speak about their CM daniel matros -who got promoted to Producer- because there is insult to be thrown ).

Oh, that guy.

And yeah, Demize99 can't balance for shit. That's pretty much a given.

TheSeks

I was out eating tacos.

Switch two words here and suddenly sexy time.

For program: This is what I'm talking about in your GOL set-up.

(Of course, you need balls of steel but that's generally the range you should be trying that sort of thing for. Unless you're REALLY good/long-time BC2 player that plays like that, you don't really want to ADS in that range/CQC)

Kane said:

For as much shit as I give him, it's not 100% Demize's fault. Again, they "play like gentlemen" so it's 100% DICE's fault for not breaking shit when they should be doing that before giving it to us and then going "OH WHOOPS WE DIDN'T INTEND THAT!"

Same reason some of the map design is hugely suspect. NS Rush defense being Javelin heaven (since it's the only set of maps that can actually USE the new fire-and-don't-forget Javelin. Fuck you DICE for changing the Javelin and IGLA. >:|) They didn't playtest those situations and then go "you know what? We need to move the carrier forward and have a few more hills/islands for the attackers to use to get closer."

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sounds like they build "cool ideas" and play the game how they want it to be played and use that as an excuse for good map design. Which...really isn't how you test and balance a multiplayer game ever. I mean, Valve at least has the smarts to recognise the amount of fucking around that happens in a multiplayer game. DICE should know a server full of 64 people does not equate to 64 gentlemen deliberately avoiding exploitive play due to some unwritten moral code. Avoiding exploitive play in a game that actively encourages level/stat/kill grinding to unlock stuff, mind you.

Sounds like they build "cool ideas" and play the game how they want it to be played and use that as an excuse for good map design. Which...really isn't how you test and balance a multiplayer game ever. I mean, Valve at least has the smarts to recognise the amount of fucking around that happens in a multiplayer game. DICE should know a server full of 64 people does not equate to 64 gentlemen deliberately avoiding exploitive play due to some unwritten moral code. Avoiding exploitive play in a game that actively encourages level/stat/kill grinding to unlock stuff, mind you.

Well said. It's not just that they build "cool ideas", it's that more often than not they implement them poorly as well. Carrier Assault is a recent example. It is underwhelming (well, for me at least) because of bad and uninspired design decisions (parachute spawn and the second part of the mode being another crappy rush segment etc).

I'm not saying it's all Demize's fault for anything bad happening in the game. I meant that he has shown time and again to be very stubborn in making changes that the community at large wants, along with making his usual shitty balance decisions.

He needlessly nerfed the G36C's rate of fire and argued about how their "testing" has somehow shown it has a 650 RPM rate of fire when it even says in the manufacturer's website that it has a 750 RPM rate of fire (and has been 750 RPM throughout BF3 BTW). The L85's fire rate has also been needlessly nerfed, nobody even considered it an overpowered gun to begin with. Now it's outclassed by other assault rifles.This is just taking about infantry specific stuff too, lest not mention my usual whining of Air and Anti Air balance and so much more.

One last thing: I'd like to also point out that he made this tweet a while back. Don't you love it when someone tries to justify a shit decision by saying they didn't make a shittier one.

burnfout

So are we ever going to get the new servers of what?

Tried playing yesterday evening and the lag on China Rising and Second Assault was so fucking bad my helicopter jumped 50 ft all over the map, could not switch weapons or lay down mines.

WTF.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So are we ever going to get the new servers of what?

Tried playing yesterday evening and the lag on China Rising and Second Assault was so fucking bad my helicopter jumped 50 ft all over the map, could not switch weapons or lay down mines.

WTF.
At least on PS4 you can look for "Test Servers" they all work like peaches and cream.
PEACHES AND CREAM

elyetis

/big rant incoming/
Found another good specific example
Me :
@Demize99 no chance to ever see atacama NOT being a -circle strafing chopper base camping- fest ?
Alan Kertz ‏@Demize99 27 Jun 2010

@elyetis Get up on the AA and it's fixed.
I never got to know how the AA of Atacama main base could protect it given the chopper ability to get to it while hiding by flying low, then having the chopper 2 shot the person using the AA, then instantly destroying chopper and AA as soon as it spawned. Saying that was part of their design woul have been crazy but probably kind of understandable, saying what he said was proof of incompetence. ( and it's not like people didn't share good ways to balance it without nerfing chopper to the ground either, even thought it's not the community job to come up with the solution ).

In April (2010, still BC2 ) I ask him if they ever intend to nerf mine damage on crates, answer "Nope"; 7-8 month later a patch finally nerf Mines and C4 damage on crates. Sounds like someone waking up a 'little' too late.

/endrant

On a more positive note, having a shadowplay compatible card made me go back to bf4 ( always fun to be able te record nice action; wouldn't be necessary if we actually could save a replay of a match at the end of it, then see it in spectator, but hey maybe for BF5 ), and I do like almost every Naval strike map, thought I can still only appreciate it on 48 player + sniper limit server.

Has anyone else experienced really bad frame drops in naval strike? Like, in the teens, to single digits bad?

Yep. Even after a significant drop in settings it's like a zoetrope or something. :/

For program: This is what I'm talking about in your GOL set-up.

(Of course, you need balls of steel but that's generally the range you should be trying that sort of thing for. Unless you're REALLY good/long-time BC2 player that plays like that, you don't really want to ADS in that range/CQC)

I appreciate you showing me an example. I had to watch it again once or twice to see what was happening. >.< It's not that I consider myself any good, nor did I play BC2 at all (regrettably), but for me ADS was a big switch to make from never using zooms of any kind, and so now it's hard not to do it no matter the range or weapon, especially in BF where hipfire is pretty punishing on most weapons.

No idea if it's been posted yet, but 2142 is .99 on Amazon right now for the deluxe edition. http://amzn.com/B00H2VOELQ

Ahh yes, thank you for reminding me. Delicious.

TheSeks

I appreciate you showing me an example. I had to watch it again once or twice to see what was happening. >.< It's not that I consider myself any good, nor did I play BC2 at all (regrettably), but for me ADS was a big switch to make from never using zooms of any kind, and so now it's hard not to do it no matter the range or weapon, especially in BF where hipfire is pretty punishing on most weapons.

Like I said though: You're using a laser attached to the GOL. Why aren't you abusing it's intended design (AKA: hip-fire window is smaller) in those situations? You have a huge-advantage in that situation if you aim the hip-fire and fire where the laser is pointing or at least in the center.

ADS with the laser is pointless if you're gonna ADS all the time you want to slap a RDS/ACOG or use a heavy barrel or foregrips to give better "accuracy" stats for the GOL.

(Of course, I'm saying this as a complete barebones with the exception of Variable and Bipod/8x scope on the GOL so...)

Like I said though: You're using a laser attached to the GOL. Why aren't you abusing it's intended design (AKA: hip-fire window is smaller) in those situations? You have a huge-advantage in that situation if you aim the hip-fire and fire where the laser is pointing or at least in the center.

I love having the laser because it helps me see when the sway calms down in ADS, i.e., it reminds me not to blaze away as soon as I ADS. Of course your assertion is still reasonable, but there is a point, in my own mind, to using it even the way I play.

ADS with the laser is pointless if you're gonna ADS all the time you want to slap a RDS/ACOG or use a heavy barrel or foregrips to give better "accuracy" stats for the GOL.

(Of course, I'm saying this as a complete barebones with the exception of Variable and Bipod/8x scope on the GOL so...)

Yeah, I don't have anything else I'd rather use in that slot, you see. I find the bipod super cumbersome, flashlight a waste of time, variable zoom and canted sights only useful if I'm using a scope. And I stopped using scopes because I find them too annoying.

In all fairness, I did take your advice on board and last night I was at least thinking about hip-fire on the GOL more, watching how the laser moves out of ADS, etc. I just feel so stupid firing and missing from the hip, I guess.

TheSeks

What sway in ADS? You're using the iron-sights! There's no "sway?" Unless you mean scope in time, which you shouldn't even be thinking about since if you're going assault sniper with the GOL you are basically gonna abuse the ADS scope-in-accuracy time by flicking ADS->fire in two seconds.

Basically, you're trying to do this in BF4 and while it kinda works with more than 32 players you're gonna have a harder time doing that. Double-so if you don't attempt to flank so you can fallback on pistols if you miss your shot.

What sway in ADS? You're using the iron-sights! There's no "sway?" Unless you mean scope in time, which you shouldn't even be thinking about since if you're going assault sniper with the GOL you are basically gonna abuse the ADS scope-in-accuracy time by flicking ADS->fire in two seconds.
I dunno, just the way it seems to take time for the laser and sight to line up. Not sway, as such, you're right. I took this to mean I should wait until they did line up for accuracy's sake, and when I can I use the laser to see that delay. It's a fair assessment that I *should* do it the quick-scope-y way if I'm just using iron-sights, but I'm frankly still getting used to the relatively long time between shots. I want to make sure any I do actually fire have every chance to hit.

Someone had a light attachment earlier on their LMG, which should only shine when aiming down sight - what is that?

Tactical light, it's called. Can be very annoying indeed.

TheSeks

I dunno, just the way it seems to take time for the laser and sight to line up. Not sway, as such, you're right. I took this to mean I should wait until they did line up for accuracy's sake, and when I can I use the laser to see that delay. It's a fair assessment that I *should* do it that way if I'm just using iron-sights, but I'm frankly still getting used to the relatively long time between shots. I want to make sure any I do actually fire have every chance to hit.

The laser doesn't matter in ADS factors. The "sway" doesn't matter, you gain an instant-100 bonus (granted there is a delay on snipers with iron sights, IIRC. I should go into the test range and see) but:

Basically, you're trying to do this in BF4 and while it kinda works with more than 32 players you're gonna have a harder time doing that. Double-so if you don't attempt to flank so you can fallback on pistols if you miss your shot.

In BF3/4 this "ADS flick->fire" still kinda works but you have to be in mid-range to kinda do it. In CQC which you're in most often you don't really want to ADS flick unless you have nerves of steel. And since you have the laser attached to the gun, you have a WAYYYY smaller hip-fire zone to worry about missing with. In fact, if you try hip-firing, I'm sure you'd get more kills than your ADS in close-quarters you're doing right now. Mostly because the laser doesn't factor into the ADS equations (it's basically just window dressing at that point) while it does for hip-fire and you'd be faster on the draw by the gun/GOL already chambering the next round as soon as you fire from the hip instead of having to drop ADS to chamber the next round (unless you have the straight-pull but even then...)

The laser doesn't matter in ADS factors. The "sway" doesn't matter, you gain an instant-100 bonus (granted there is a delay on snipers with iron sights, IIRC. I should go into the test range and see) but:

Hum, interesting. I'd say take a look, I could be wrong of course. (I usually am. >.>)

In BF3/4 this "ADS flick->fire" still kinda works but you have to be in mid-range to kinda do it. In CQC which you're in most often you don't really want to ADS flick unless you have nerves of steel. And since you have the laser attached to the gun, you have a WAYYYY smaller hip-fire zone to worry about missing with. In fact, if you try hip-firing, I'm sure you'd get more kills than your ADS in close-quarters you're doing right now. Mostly because the laser doesn't factor into the ADS equations (it's basically just window dressing at that point) while it does for hip-fire and you'd be faster on the draw by the gun/GOL already chambering the next round as soon as you fire from the hip instead of having to drop ADS to chamber the next round (unless you have the straight-pull but even then...)

That's a cool video, illustrates precisely the reason I enjoy playing with a big-damage, slow-fire weapon like the BF4 snipers (in general). With that said, I almost never used such weapons pre-BF4 (even pre-a month ago) so I'm still pretty new at it. I always felt it was just too tough for me, and maybe that's accurate considering the games you saw. Still, when it works it's so much fun that it pulls me through the dodgy times.

I can't deny what you're saying about the hipfire, though. I'll try some hipfire tonight, just for you, and report back. Maybe I'll put the biggest scope I have on, just to discourage ADSing at close range.

TheSeks

That's a cool video, illustrates precisely the reason I enjoy playing with a big-damage, slow-fire weapon like the BF4 snipers (in general). With that said, I almost never used such weapons pre-BF4 (even pre-a month ago) so I'm still pretty new at it. I always felt it was just too tough for me, and maybe that's accurate considering the games you saw. Still, when it works it's so much fun that it pulls me through the dodgy times.

I can't deny what you're saying about the hipfire, though. I'll try some hipfire tonight, just for you, and report back. Maybe I'll put the biggest scope I have on, just to discourage ADSing at close range.

Nah, like I said: You're doing a few things wrong from what I see. Mostly ADS in situations where you don't want it (like that one where you were behind cover and a dude right next you/knife range. You could've prone-cancel/stand-up and then hip-fired) and not-ADS when you probably should.

The second is running into situations where there are three or more enemies. Assault Recons aren't really built for that sort of thing. They're built for hit and run and flanking. I'm not sure if spectator shows me EVERYTHING (I think it does) so I'm not sure if you're not getting that information from squad mates. But if you aren't, it'd explain the reason you keep going into those situations. :p

The other thing is you might want to slap a RDS or ACOG on instead of going iron-sights. While the iron-sights for the GOL are amazing compared to the other sniper rifles, it doesn't help in like... 50-100meter engagements. That one situation where you had someone alone across from you in Lost Island is a good example. You could've hit him if you had the dot or ACOG "zoom" to see a bit better since the Iron Sights don't have that range for Snipers. Or get a better feel at range in the testing range.

It takes "feel" and practice to do it. It's why I don't really use that sort of thing and use the snipers as they're intended/long-range sniping. But it's possible to do.

Edit: I just checked Battlelog. The laser gives a buff from the default 28 to a 37 accuracy in Hip-fire. I can't test-range to show the reduction in hip-fires cross-hair, but check it out yourself and play with the RDS since the RDS isn't compatible with the Variable Zoom.

Nah, like I said: You're doing a few things wrong from what I see. Mostly ADS in situations where you don't want it (like that one where you were behind cover and a dude right next you/knife range. You could've prone-cancel/stand-up and then hip-fired) and not-ADS when you probably should.

That's me. A choke for every situation. I don't remember that specifically but it happens often enough; certainly not an isolated incident. When I'm close to enemies it's always a conflict between trying to ADS on the big gun, swap to the small gun, or chance the knife. Usually ends up in a paralysis by indecision.

The second is running into situations where there are three or more enemies. Assault Recons aren't really built for that sort of thing. They're built for hit and run and flanking. I'm not sure if spectator shows me EVERYTHING (I think it does) so I'm not sure if you're not getting that information from squad mates. But if you aren't, it'd explain the reason you keep going into those situations. :p

Yeahhh I'm not the greatest strategic thinker, even at the level of 'there are three of them and one of me'. Still, I did have some...gung-ho squadmates on that bad night. My fault for spawning on them, but it seemed like they were deliberately trying to get us killed at times.

The other thing is you might want to slap a RDS or ACOG on instead of going iron-sights. While the iron-sights for the GOL are amazing compared to the other sniper rifles, it doesn't help in like... 50-100meter engagements. That one situation where you had someone alone across from you in Lost Island is a good example. You could've hit him if you had the dot or ACOG "zoom" to see a bit better since the Iron Sights don't have that range for Snipers.

I've accepted the downsides of the ironsights because I like them so much. I prefer ironsights on almost every gun, to be honest. (Except for the .44, that 3x scope is a beasht for unexpected damage at medium range.) That said, as above I think I'll put on a big scope tonight to encourage hipfire at close range.

Or get a better feel at range in the testing range.

It takes "feel" and practice to do it. It's why I don't really use that sort of thing and use the snipers as they're intended/long-range sniping. But it's possible to do.

Good point on the test range, I keeeep forgetting to use it. -.-

EGOMON

I finally tried this game (rented it from my cousin) and i must say THANKS GOD i didn't buy it the game is complete mess rubber-banding/lag/stutter/disconnection you name it i played it for 3 days and not once i had a smooth match, for all the shit people keep giving COD at least their games always work.

TheSeks

I've accepted the downsides of the ironsights because I like them so much. I prefer ironsights on almost every gun, to be honest. (Except for the .44, that 3x scope is a beasht for unexpected damage at medium range.) That said, as above I think I'll put on a big scope tonight to encourage hipfire at close range.

So do I, but it really has screwed up the range of the GOL a small bit. Probably because I'm too used to it having the BC2 default scope (7x?) as a sniper to where using it just feels wrong to me without it.

Kabuto

How come no one told me the CBJ-MS is such a good gun? 51 bullet magazine, fast reload time, and 700 ROF. I think it might be my new favorite PDW.

Top Bottom