• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
goddamn naval strike carrier camping

goddamn dice what the fuck

Kabuto

So, how exactly does the automatic anti-air on carriers work? For example, on Lost Islands, I know that whenever I fly my jet too close to the enemy's carrier/spawn zone, it will try to shoot me down. I use the inverse (leading the enemy jet over my carrier) to get the enemy to stop tailing me, since an attack jet going after another attack jet is horrible cannibalism in my eyes (unless it's out of vengeance and they need to be punished), and that tactic has usually worked (the jet turns around at that point and once even seemed to go down). However, one time I led the enemy jet around the carrier at least three times, and he still killed me with 100 vehicle health intact.

So what the heck?

The jets need to be "spotted" by you or a teammate first.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
goddamn naval strike carrier camping

goddamn dice what the fuck

Welcome to when Premium got it. Yes, the camping is awful.

If you're on 64 players and in a smart squad, if half your team is defending against the carrier assault and doing sort of okay in preventing the arm: Grab the flags and hold them for dear life.

Optionally, if you already had the breach happen and they're all in your base and you have the flags capped: Rush their base to arm.

Most of the time people get arming-stupid about the breach part and forget you can still win if you flag damage the carrier or don't defend and let the enemy arm yours.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
The jets need to be "spotted" by you or a teammate first.

Interesting, and good to know.

Also, I'm so glad I never have to touch those damn bombers again. Finally finished all the China Rising assignments just today.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Been trying to get into this game but just haven't been feeling it. I can't seem to get a handle on the gunplay. Not sure if I just stink or there is lag. Sometimes I empty what feels like an entire clip on an enemy and he kills me and has 100 health.

Also being unable to communicate. Do most people not use mics in squads? I see a voice icon but no one ever talks so it gets super frustrating. I see my voice icon going off. Do people hear me? Ps4 btw.

Have only spent about a week but I think I might just sell it back if it doesn't start clicking. When is the next patch due? Any tips for new players? Modes you find the most fun for beginners? Other than play the objectives :p

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Welcome to when Premium got it. Yes, the camping is awful.

If you're on 64 players and in a smart squad, if half your team is defending against the carrier assault and doing sort of okay in preventing the arm: Grab the flags and hold them for dear life.

Optionally, if you already had the breach happen and they're all in your base and you have the flags capped: Rush their base to arm.

Most of the time people get arming-stupid about the breach part and forget you can still win if you flag damage the carrier or don't defend and let the enemy arm yours.

I am Premium
PC, so fucking late
. Didn't really notice it at first but now I do, and it's prevalent on Conquest too. Surprisingly easy to put pressure on an opponent's carrier and fuck with air as it's trying to take off. Worse when your team is too incompetent to counter boats. I'm pretty much done with carrier assault unless a conquest server I'm on has carrier mode scrambled in. It's okay, but nowhere near as fun as BF2142's titans and just kinda like a subpar conquest. Nice to mix things up, but I'll stick with the 64 player meat grinder.

Finally got the AS VAL, loving it. Excellent engineer weapon. Got a better feel for the FAMAS too. Was hard to adjust to its high firerate and hard kick, but at the right range it's quite useful. 870 MCS is my go to for when the server swaps to Locker.

Just had the funniest round.

I was bored and screwing around with one of those big transport helicopters and I flew it inside the enemy aircraft carrier.

I landed inside ok with two guys and they jumped out and stole their boats.

I couldn't get it out and eventually I got shot and killed.

But some other guy on the other team spent half the round trying to get it out while I watched from a far away island through a sniper scope.

He never got it out and our team didn't have the chopper for nearly the whole round lol

iijrAFoknP3Cy.jpg

i1fcwQqQa9zh5.jpg

Ark

For the first time since release, I actually don't want to play BF4 this weekend. I don't know what's happening to me.

Acorn

For the first time since release, I actually don't want to play BF4 this weekend. I don't know what's happening to me.
Hit me last week, I dunno what it is. I think I might just be subconsciously waiting for the new servers or maybe I'm truly done for now.

TheSeks

I am Premium
PC, so fucking late
. Didn't really notice it at first but now I do, and it's prevalent on Conquest too. Surprisingly easy to put pressure on an opponent's carrier and fuck with air as it's trying to take off. Worse when your team is too incompetent to counter boats. I'm pretty much done with carrier assault unless a conquest server I'm on has carrier mode scrambled in. It's okay, but nowhere near as fun as BF2142's titans and just kinda like a subpar conquest. Nice to mix things up, but I'll stick with the 64 player meat grinder.

It's basically Conquest with Rush tacked on.

Meanwhile: Sabotage/Obliteration is Rush with Conquest tacked on and for the better.

Proof the ONE TRUE MODE™(Rush, *cough*) should be the map design first before Conquest and Conquest only needs better flag placement design in general instead of sitting on sets. >_>

Ark said:

Same. My heart just wasn't in it yesterday and I still played because I want the last unlock (Sniper Rifle) assignment and to hit the level cap. Ugh.

I don't think I'd be as pissed or apathetic if rounds were unranked. It's stupid that rounds are ranked only so DICE has their wizz-bang stats to report on Battlelog. :/

Gamestop E-mail said:
Buy Titanfall Today – Winner of More Than 75 Awards!

Keep fucking that Manufactured Hype, Gamestop.

i've regressed to playing only on sundays :p maybe i'll be more active once i clear some of my other games and get over Ground Zeroes :D

VariantX

Haven't touched the game since I tried out the eu test servers. Won't play again until they upgrade the servers to match their performance. I don't like rush or any other mode except conquest really, and since conquest performs inconsistently and theres no 32 player conquest on consoles, I just took a break.

Also being unable to communicate. Do most people not use mics in squads? I see a voice icon but no one ever talks so it gets super frustrating. I see my voice icon going off. Do people hear me? Ps4 btw.

Most people use Party Chat. If you see multiple people with the same clan tag on a team, chances are they are using party chat. I haven't used it yet so I don't know if you can still hear and use the in-game chat while using Party Chat, I doubt it though.

Also, there are people like me who just don't want to talk to other people when playing or can't because of time of day (people may be sleeping nearby). Whether or not I am using my Pulse Elites or my Vita Earbuds, the mic is always muted.

Bollocks

Every Metro 2014 game plays out the same lol, why they even bother with different modes, just call the mode metro 2014 for a complete clusterfuck.

maneil99

So naval strike worth it, is it really a spiritual successor to Titan mode? Also I have 2 keys of BF4 on PC I am selling if anyone wants

Proof the ONE TRUE MODE™(Rush, *cough*) should be the map design first before Conquest and Conquest only needs better flag placement design in general instead of sitting on sets. >_>

Seks pls.

y u do dis to me.

So naval strike worth it, is it really a spiritual successor to Titan mode? Also I have 2 keys of BF4 on PC I am selling if anyone wants

I guess you could say it is. It isn't worthy though, unfortunately.

JJD

I haven't unlocked it yet, I rarely run Support.

Just do it man!

Support was my least played class by far, I was never a fan of LMGs, but the AWS is just amazing! I'm actually enjoying plying support now and the MG4 is a great LMGs as well!

Next one on my list is the type 88 or the Lsat.

TheSeks

Seks pls.

y u do dis to me.

You know I'm right. Rush first sets design > Rush second sets design.

Conquest first sets design (See: Metro) < Conquest second sets design (see: Caspian) = Conquest-of-Yore sets design (Oman, Karkand, ...)

It's not like it's hard to create Conquest sets. You just have to have a big open map with a few smart flag placements for infantry. Meanwhile, you get shit like Haian First Set, Oman first set (WHY.jpg was this changed), Naval Strikes first sets (Javelin defense!) because DICE didn't design for Rush sets first.

maneil99 said:
So naval strike worth it,

For the AWS and improved (somewhat) Rush maps and Sabotage on the maps. Yes. For Titanfall mode, no. Very very no.

Just do it man!

Support was my least played class by far, I was never a fan of LMGs, but the AWS is just amazing! I'm actually enjoying plying support now and the MG4 is a great LMGs as well!

I played Support early on to get the first shotgun (what a system...) but actually the Type 88 is a beast close range if you're lucky enough to get a silencer. Simply disgusting how long you can keep killing dudes without having to reload. Of course it's grand anyway, but I always feel like the best kind of scumbag with that combo. :D

You know I'm right. Rush first sets design > Rush second sets design.

If it doesn't have "Bad Company" in the title, then Conquest > Rush.

I don't see why a mode from a spin off game should take priority in a mainline Battlefield game.

Meanwhile, you get shit like Haian First Set, Oman first set (WHY.jpg was this changed), Naval Strikes first sets (Javelin defense!) because DICE didn't design for Rush sets first.

The problem I see with Rush (beside map design ofc) is that the MCOM placements and map boundaries were not thought out at all. DICE probably spent around 5 minutes for each map figuring out where to put the MCOMs and out of map boundaries and called it a day.

It's not like it's hard to create Conquest sets. You just have to have a big open map with a few smart flag placements for infantry.

I can do that too: It's not like it's hard to create Rush sets. You just have to have a small, linear, and infantry focused map with smart MCOM placements. The way you describe making Conquest reminds me of Golmud Railway, which is incredibly dull and uninteresting (and only good for playing in an attack jet and killing everything).

Also, I'm pretty sure Damavand Peak was specifically made for Rush, and it's a terrible Conquest map. So it's not like making for Rush first isn't going to negatively affect Conquest mode on some Rush specific maps.

And yeah BF2 maps are pretty great even when butchered in later iterations.
Huehuehuehue
. I will admit, what little I've played of Rush Karkand and Oman was really fun.

TheSeks

I can do that too:

No you can't.

It's not like it's hard to create Rush sets. You just have to have a small, linear, and infantry focused map with smart MCOM placements.

See, this is where the problem is. DICE thinks like you when Bad Company 1 shows that isn't the case. You can have open boundaries like Conquest if you give thought.

This doesn't mean Conquest doesn't get hindered and vice-versa, but if you go with Rush first and design sets as sets in mind (Silk Road Third Set is a notable example of this problem not happening) Conquest is more than likely not going to be hindered while the opposite case is more true where you get a flag placement near third set but that flag placement doesn't do anything near that set so you don't see the inherent problems of shoving people on a high-ground situation and not giving the ability to get over there (that Conquest has, thanks DICE for not giving attackers the ability to rain some death down a small bit from up there)

Never had an opportunity to play Bad Company 1. I thought it was pretty clear that comment was directed at how most Bad Company 2 maps were. Which quite frankly is what I see most people keep asking more of, rather than Bad Company 1 style Rush you are talking about. And again, I don't see why Rush should take priority over Conquest in a mainline Battlefield game.

I think If Carrier Assault wasn't so half assed, it wouldn't have been a pretty good compromise and a nice change of pace. Alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Edit: And apparently Bad Company 1 didn't even have Conquest on release. :x

Just do it man!

Out of all of the LMGs I have unlocked, which is the best?

U-100 MK5
M60-E4
M249

TheSeks

Never had an opportunity to play Bad Company 1. I thought it was pretty clear that comment was directed at how most Bad Company 2 maps were. Which quite frankly is what I see most people keep asking more of, rather than Bad Company 1 style Rush you are talking about. And again, I don't see why Rush should take priority over Conquest in a mainline Battlefield game.

Because if they're going to include Rush mode, having proper sets thought out helps Conquest in regards to map design. Conquest's design is mostly "place a flag here and provide some cover/buildings for infantry and tanks to play around." While Rush has to have the thought of "does these buildings allow cover and defense/offensive opportunities for both sides to go through?"

You may think I'm condensing it, but that's not what I'm getting at. Rush balance is harder to do in regards to map design than it is for the Conquest balance. Conquest is meant to be open like Golmund. If it isn't open, you get shit like Domination Lost Island Carrier three flags in four-hallway set ups with no thought or ability to flank.

The major problem with Conquest in Bad Company 2 was that it didn't expand the maps slightly to provide more flags. Bad Company 2 on consoles (and PC) only have three flags. The same issue pops up in BF3's "Conquest Small" mode for consoles and PC.

The major problem with Conquest in Bad Company 2 was that it didn't expand the maps slightly to provide more flags. Bad Company 2 on consoles (and PC) only have three flags. The same issue pops up in BF3's "Conquest Small" mode for consoles and PC.

Sometimes three flags worked fine in Conquest in BC2. Such as on Arica Harbor and Oasis. This was because the maps were urban and every building was enter-able, leaving to a much more open map than you'd expect from a three flag setup. Compared to maps like Grand Bazaar and Metro and you will quickly see how the later failed at 3-flag design.

Harvest Day, Oasis, and Arica Harbor are the only conquest maps I remember fondly from BC2, for exactly the reasons you described. Rush was the go-to mode in BC2. I didn't actually play it much in BF3 because I generally stuck to the (much better) DLC maps for Conquest.

As for BF4, my soldier profile says that I've played some Rush, but I don't remember it.

TheSeks

Panama Canal was great, but it was Conquest only. See, I don't have an issue with that (mode specific maps). My issue is that if you're going to shove modes in (and this includes DLC modes in this rant as well), you need to plan the more intense modes (read: Rush) to work where the less-intensive modes (like Conquest) are able to be supported/support the map as well.

I'm not saying Conquest maps aren't open in general. It's that there is more to it than that. Golmud is an open and large map, but it's also really dull because that's all that it has going for it. Especially when compared to a map like Kubra Dam, which has a much more interesting layout, while at the same time being a very large map.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that shoving Rush mode in and half assing it is okay. I'm saying that the priority should be for Conquest in a mainline Battlefield game. Just like how Rush was the priority in Bad Company games. In some cases Conquest maps work well in Rush too (BF3 Oman as you mentioned a while back). The problem with Rush in BF4 is that DICE doesn't give a shit about it. Rush mode would have been at least decent on most maps if DICE actually spent time thinking through the MCOM placements and map boundaries, and disabling commanders as they completely destroy any attempts of flanking and forces the attackers to brute force so fucking hard to win (as if it wasn't enough in BF3 as is).

DICE is always going to include Rush mode, regardless of how good it is, it's pretty much part of a checklist for shoving everything they can in a Battlefield game. They should be making sure it works well, just as how they should also be making sure all other aspects of the game works as well as possible. But that's never gonna happen, you and I both know that.

Which is why I'd rather have them focus on what I expect on what type of Battlefield of game I buy, because I know for a fact they're going to skimp on a lot of other things. Evidently, they decided to skimp on making BF4 work properly half the time.

Even if making for Rush first does help Conquest map design as you say it does, I'd rather take the safe route (after the release of BF4 I'm thinking it's not so safe now) and get what I want out of what kind of Battlefield game I buy. DICE doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt that they won't half ass one mode if they prioritize one over the other. They couldn't get fucking Air Superiority right, I mean how hard is it to improve on that mode when you already had it in an earlier DLC for a long time. It's the same shit with CTF and Carrier Assault. It'll be the same on whatever new mode they bring out on Dragon's Teeth.

I guess Obliteration isn't so bad? I'm pretty sure they put more effort on that mode than Rush though.
Man, I think I went on a tangent there. Apologies if some/most of my points don't make a lick of sense. >.>

I don't know why europe gets 4 test servers including full vanilla map rotation, and we get one running Op Mortar, but that's a load of bullshit.

JJD

U-100 MK5
M60-E4
M249

I believe the M249 is the best one out of those 3.

Use it until you unlock the AWS. The assignment can be done in a single round. Just get 3 LMGs ribbons (6 kills for each ribbon totaling 18 LMG kills) and C4 3 vehicles.

The AWS is the best LMG in the game by far.

If you're not used to LMGs tap fire and it will be easier to control recoil. I almost never go full auto. It's surprising how accurate they can be.
I played Support early on to get the first shotgun (what a system...) but actually the Type 88 is a beast close range if you're lucky enough to get a silencer. Simply disgusting how long you can keep killing dudes without having to reload. Of course it's grand anyway, but I always feel like the best kind of scumbag with that combo. :D

Backraging 10 or 12 guys on Locker or Metro with LMGs is the most fun I've had with BF4 in a long, long time!

TheSeks

If you're not used to LMGs tap fire and it will be easier to control recoil. I almost never go full auto. It's surprising how accurate they can be.

That's how you're supposed to use LMGs unless in CQC/hip-fire full auto

B-b-but my inaccuracy!</half the playerbase> :|

@Kane: We'll just have to disagree. I find the Rush-focused map design to actually help Conquest more than the other way around so if they're checking that box, they might as well start with a mode that needs more time than the other one.

Like I said though earlier in the year to you: Arica Harbor Conquest's problem is not having one or two flags further down to where it's easy to spawn trap one side or the other with the three flags.

Acorn

I agree with Seks mostly. DICE went from one extreme (rush focus to hell with cq on bc) to another (cq focus fuck rush on bf mainline).

The 3 flag straight line placements on BC were terrible, which is why I'm slightly bemused at the absolute adoration for bc recently.

U-100 MK5
M60-E4
M249

I believe the M249 is the best one out of those 3.

Use it until you unlock the AWS. The assignment can be done in a single round. Just get 3 LMGs ribbons (6 kills for each ribbon totaling 18 LMG kills) and C4 3 vehicles.

The AWS is the best LMG in the game by far.

M60 would be my weapon of choice, so good! (atleast until you get The Patriot(AWS))

Facism

In other words no? :p Wish they had like a free 1 hour trial of the dlc. Makes sense though not to for $

the maps are decent, no worries there. Carrier Assault is pure shit, though. It's just CQ small with some shitty rush tacked on at the end. There's nothing really dynamic or strategic about it, which is pretty much par for the course in BF4, i suppose. A little bit of musical chairs followed by meatgrinder spamfest bullshit.

EatChildren

Jackfrag just posted this, the Deathshield bug. Holy crap. Revivable bodies block projectiles (grenades, rockets), as if their hitbox is still standing, as long as they're revivable. This shit explains SO MUCH.

http://youtu.be/0IRIbIMO0SY

Yet another reason why I won't, oddly enough given my susceptibility to hype, be touching Battlefield 5 with any measure of pole near, around, or in the remote proximity of launch. I really fucking love Battlefield 4 when it all comes together but DICE's abhorrent failure rate with balance and bugs has obliterated my interest in supporting them. I don't care if the issue is internal, specific staff members, operational, EA as a publisher, Frostbite 3 problems, or anything else. Money where your mouth is, and DICE/EA simply don't deserve it. It's really very, very embarrassing how problems like this pop up.

Still waiting for the grass/foliage setting fix, by the way, or at least DICE acknowledging the problem exists at all. Because here is a list of games off the top of my head with similarly backwards, busted graphics settings that remain unfixed:

- Battlefield 4

Oh. Would you look at that.

TheSeks

Jackfrag just posted this, the Deathshield bug. Holy crap. Revivable bodies block projectiles (grenades, rockets), as if their hitbox is still standing, as long as they're revivable. This shit explains SO MUCH.

Well, that certainly explains the knife-"KILLED IN ACTION" bug I got on Metro with Kane joining when I was doing Metro 300% boosting last 2XP...

Throw grenade right past a dead body. Go for a knife. Get the animation playing. BAM, killed in action despite the grenade seemingly going over the lip to the second floor of A.

EatChildren

Actually, to add to that, is it possible this death hitbox issue extends beyond? Because the last few days playing I've had a fair number of aircraft deaths, usually in a chopper, that were KILLED IN ACTION with no obvious sign I hit something. It's like I just die.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
Actually, to add to that, is it possible this death hitbox issue extends beyond? Because the last few days playing I've had a fair number of aircraft deaths, usually in a chopper, that were KILLED IN ACTION with no obvious sign I hit something. It's like I just die.

Haven't had it in about a month, but I did have this happen a couple times . Did your chopper survive? I was basically ripped out of the cockpit and killed in action with no damage to the chopper. I had it happen once where I was ripped out and survived, but hit the ground and died. Was yours something like that?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

=/

That could explain a bunch of weird and odd situations for sure.
Based community to the rescue, hopefully it gets the attention it deserves.

Sadly Im not playing as often as i wanted, i got" bored" of looking for servers without game breaking lag.
:(

TheSeks

I don't think so. Since you're away from infantry height. You sure it isn't the admin fucking with you?

Speaking of which:

This is why Spectator and Commander NEED to be in-game joining and switching seats back to infantry is possible

Come the fuck on, DICE. Quake 3 Arena allowed this (spectator into combatant and vice-versa) in 1999!

Whoooaaaaa. That really does explain so much. :eek: I'm going to have to test it out for myself, but this could contextualise a lot of strange happenings if you think about it.

TheSeks

Whoooaaaaa. That really does explain so much. :eek: I'm going to have to test it out for myself, but this could contextualise a lot of strange happenings if you think about it.

If could also contextualize your numerous deaths. :eek:!

;)

GravyButt

How is it on the ps4? Im assuming that pc is the better choice, but all my friends have it on the ps4. Thinking bout picking it up with premium. Im pretty darn good on the pc version, but im not the best at shooting games with a controller. Hmmmm

Man, such a fun weekend. Started out Friday night running out of ammo with the main tank cannon and having to resort to killing infantry with staff shells.

I finally learned to love the GOL Magnum; It's a much better TDM sniper than the M40A5.

Did some NS Dom with some GAFers last night, and its pretty fun, though a little dry (pun unintended) in the long run.

My current goal is to manage to get the mastery dog tag for one of the battle pick-ups. I don't care which one, really. NS TDM is a good place to rack up some kills. I can sometimes play entire games in Wavebreaker without getting a kill with my regular primary, cycling between the two M82s and the USAS. It's kinda ridiculous and makes me feel dirty.

Speaking of the USAS, I only just recently got a handle on using it well. Even at mid-range distance, the thing can rack up some kills if the person is against cover. I do kill myself more frequently than I should, however.

Top Bottom