• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 |OT2| Is it fixed yet?

Spl1nter

Its so easy to get 20 kills with the Attack Jet. They should of made it at least a bit of a challenge. Something along the lines of 25 kills in a stealth jet without dying would be proper.

JJD

Wow, the AWS is pretty damn good. Now I have a reason to use an LMG instead of a carbine with the Support class.

The AWS is almost an assault rifle. Anyone knows if it still uses AR bullets or DICE fixed it? It used to shoot AR bullets so the damage drop off was shorter and they had less suppression. If that's fixed it's almost like a small buff.

After trying the AWS I'm having some kind of revelation with LMGs. I never used then, but I'm having so much fun with then right now. The MG4 was a total blast to play, I loved the 200 bullets drum magazine.

Plus I never run out of bullets anymore, something that happened to me a couple times on almost every game. It's hard to let go of the med kit, the RPGs or the TUGS but right now there is nothing else I'd rather be playing than support. Soon it will be my third most played class passing recon.

Ok, I just read two tips on Symthic I want to share/try out.

First, someone mentioned that when on the sides of the scout heli, your bipods always act as deployed.

Second, they mentioned that using frag rounds from that seat can be effective as the explosive has no damage drop-off and as you're shooting from above you will be using the ground to reflect the splash damage. Good for softening/finishing off enemies.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
but the guns are piss weak so it takes like 3 flybys and the engineers keep repairing the boats/people bailing out of smoking boats :(

On attack jets? I take out attack boats on one pass. Stealth jets on the other hand are worthless. Throw on rockets to help if you don't like the gun. I just avoid dog fights generally since you can hardly get kills that way.

ChrisW

Had some fun last night trying to get just c4 kills and quick scooping people. Let's just say it didn't go great.....

I'll be on again tonight and trying to get the SW40 and then going for just pistol kills.

I really wish BF4 had customizable playlists like kill zone to let people choose the rules of servers I.e. Pistols only etc and then the top 10 or so ideas are chosen to be public servers for a month or so

Except they are not, they are horrible overpowered on the attack jet and can kill a boat in a single run. Aim better

Attack Jets in BF3 are so amazing.

Its so easy to get 20 kills with the Attack Jet. They should of made it at least a bit of a challenge. Something along the lines of 25 kills in a stealth jet without dying would be proper.

I want the hydra missiles on the stealth jets. :(

scogoth

Stealth jets should be able to equip hydra AND zuni. Also maybe they should be, oh I don't know, FUCKING STEALTH. Perhaps below radar and MUCH longer lock on times.

Kak.efes

Ok, I just read two tips on Symthic I want to share/try out.

First, someone mentioned that when on the sides of the scout heli, your bipods always act as deployed.

Second, they mentioned that using frag rounds from that seat can be effective as the explosive has no damage drop-off and as you're shooting from above you will be using the ground to reflect the splash damage. Good for softening/finishing off enemies.

LMG's having a deployed bipod in scout helicopters sounds pretty cool. Still, I'd prefer passengers using IGLA/Stinger/Javelin with a repair torch. Bo and I have had some pretty crazy rounds on flood zone this way.

Overdoziz

Banned
Personally I found BF3 jets much easier to control than BF4's. Could just be the switch from 360 to PS4 controller or the rubberbanding, though.

SharpAttorney

Neo Member
Leave me alone you ace pilot fucks. I get it, you're good.

:(

Any tips for avoiding these fucks?

If someone gets in my ass, rather than try to maneuver to get behind them or turn the tables, I instead try to fly in a way that may force them to crash or pull off their pursuit . I'm not a great pilot, average at best. I just try to do what I can within my abilities.

Leave me alone you ace pilot fucks. I get it, you're good.

:(

Any tips for avoiding these fucks?
Luck. They're such a tiny percentage of the gaming pop that playing on a different server or day will usually take care of it.

Also, patience. I probably got my jet ribbons over the course of a few weeks.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Except they are not, they are horrible overpowered on the attack jet and can kill a boat in a single run. Aim better

Noisepurge is on consoles, just FYI. I dunno if it's harder to aim with controllers than mouse and keyboard in the jet (I don't think it is, but I'm not the best person to say) but something to keep in mind.

Same thing as the helicopter circle-fuck-of-death that BC2 console had: Really needed to be nerfed since it isn't as easy to take down as it was on PC.

If you're the pilot remember to be the support-class with ammo regen perk. Infinite laws for me to fire.

Don't need that, but it helps. If you throw a medikit and ammobox on the helicopter seats before getting in, they can't be shot out (unless lucky) and won't disappear.

After trying the AWS I'm having some kind of revelation with LMGs. I never used then, but I'm having so much fun with then right now. The MG4 was a total blast to play, I loved the 200 bullets drum magazine.

Welcome to knowing how to finally use them. Now go back to BF3, slap the suppression buff perk on yourself and laugh yourself to bank since you'll be throwing suppression of doom at people even in CQC.

LMG's have always been good, anyone that says they're awful either 1) can't aim or 2) don't know how to use them.

Though, since the bipod is fucked in BF4 (can't deploy it on the ground now without fucking with it) it's kinda nerfed a little. If you bipod on the ground or cover, you can pretty much out-snipe snipers with the MG36 or any other LMG (like the PKP) in seconds and laugh yourself to the bank on that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm shitty at jets too, have some sympathy for us plebs. Though more with stealth than attacks.

The biggest hurdle with all jets is your air opposition, because the 1v1 is unlike any other battle in the game. Like you could be the shittiest tank player against the best tank player, and you're still likely to land one or two shots, and due to the high damage at least feel you took out a good chip of their health. The illusion of possible victory is strong, coupled with the odd kill here and there of a ground troop as a pat on the back.

The skill level skewers much harder in jets. It's harder to hit ground troops. Practice makes perfect, but it still hard. But the real clincher is fucking air mavericks who spend the entire match in jets clearing the skies/ground with their single digit deaths and double digit kills and your team is made up of too many incompetent/busy fuck wits to pressure with anti-air. It happens surprisingly often when I try to play: one person dominating the air space. And in these scenarios there's not much you can do. The learning curve is insanely steep as seconds after take off you've a jet behind you that you just cant shake. It makes you just not want to bother as you're probably far, far better at a ground or ocean role, and continually being blown out of the sky unable to get kills makes you feel like you're wasting your time and shitting on the team.

So yeah, fuck mavericks.

Plus I never run out of bullets anymore, something that happened to me a couple times on almost every game. It's hard to let go of the med kit, the RPGs or the TUGS but right now there is nothing else I'd rather be playing than support. Soon it will be my third most played class passing recon.

This is the main reason support is my most played class. Nothing more frustrating than worrying about ammo while on a streak.

The AWS is pretty amazing. The MG4's 200 mag drum is great, but the quick reload on the AWS is better overall. The LMGs in this game have been pretty good, I'm surprised at how underused they are.

The physics on jets contributes to that skill level disparity. The way jets handle in BF3 and BF4 are pretty wonky, and as a result every dogfight consists of who can make the tightest circles with the optimal speed, which takes time to perfect (although it is arguably still much easier than how it was handled in BF2}. At the same time you still have to take into consideration that you need to switch and do a scissors maneuver and so on. And yeah, the only thing that stops a good jet pilot is either making an incredibly dumb mistake by the pilot, a god-like MAA driver, or a flat-out better jet pilot.

Also, never dogfight a stealth jet while on an attack jet, unless you know what you're doing.

TheSeks

I will never not ever get in a jet. Ever.

The AWS is pretty amazing. The MG4's 200 mag drum is great, but the quick reload on the AWS is better overall. The LMGs in this game have been pretty good, I'm surprised at how underused they are.

Because people suck and don't know how to use them. They're fine. Like they were in BF3. But whine whine whine whine whine whine.

Facism

I had very real problems using the LMGs at the start of BF4. Coming from BF3 where i played support, they didn't feel as useful or worthwhile as the BF3 LMGs. Had to run with a carbine for a bit because i wasn't enjoying it.

Whoa, that 1911 buff! I never checked it out, it is absolutely beast now. So much fun. Played a pistol/knife only Conquest game on Locker, haven't had so much fun in ages. Reminds me why I played exclusively pistol TDM for such a long time.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/battlereport/show/1/456204645342595648/808600782/

seks be proud pls

In fairness it was an average-at-best round in many ways, just a nicely high kill count without a higher death count for once.

So it seems like people are still having trouble with crashes on BF4, does anyone here still play BF2? Would it be worth picking up? Gotta scratch that BF itch (ew).

So it seems like people are still having trouble with crashes on BF4, does anyone here still play BF2? Would it be worth picking up? Gotta scratch that BF itch (ew).

I've been playing BF2 every once and a while, although it looks like a lot of populated servers are outside of the U.S. There's still a decent amount of people playing, especially for a game that's as old as BF2.

Heroman

Banned
Bf4 is my first battlefield game and I come to the conclusion that I dont like jets. I think the maps arent big enough to support them. They end up looking out of place.

TheSeks

Bf4 is my first battlefield game and I come to the conclusion that I dont like jets. I think the maps arent big enough to support them. They end up looking out of place.

The maps are big enough. It's just they're pointless in the sandbox. Even the jet pilot Kane agrees.

I'd go so far as to say that air-vehicles in general are pointless and could've been removed from the sandbox completely. The only purpose they have is to counter the stupid powerful RCB at this point. They can't cap objectives. They have to strafe run (in jets) or fly around locks (in helicopters) to do some damage... just bleh.

Heroman

Banned
The maps are big enough. It's just they're pointless in the sandbox. Even the jet pilot Kane agrees.

I'd go so far as to say that air-vehicles in general are pointless and could've been removed from the sandbox completely. The only purpose they have is to counter the stupid powerful RCB at this point. They can't cap objectives. They have to strafe run (in jets) or fly around locks (in helicopters) to do some damage... just bleh.
True they are piontless the only time I get killed from jets is when I am in a attack boat or in a helicopter.

scogoth

The only reason they are pointless is because of everyone's bitching in BF3. In BF3 Jets and helis could effectively control the enemy teams vehicles and let the infantry cap points. The have made jets useless with active radar, almost instantaneous lockons, ecm and flares not working consistently, and making the stealth jet as effective at killing as a tickle me elmo. Only Kane and Spl1nter can use them effectively and thats only because they fly a LOT.

Nah man, that ain't me. You have no evidence to prove that anyway, ha!

Like I said earlier though, helicopters can cap objectives by hovering over them. They are also good for quick transportation when it's more convenient to do so than it is with land vehicles. Helicopters being forced to fly around lock ons is because DICE designed it that way, they could've implemented a system similar to how it was in BC2 or make the SRAW have a faster turning rate to compensate for having no MANPADs and so on.

Air vehicles are most useful by removing the enemy from the map and making them stare at their deployment screen. They destroy tanks and other valuable armored land vehicles from the Battlefield for their team to gain the upper hand by having more vehicles and infantry on the battlefield. Jets are used so they prevent other air vehicles from attempting to do that, along with some form of Air to Ground capabilities so they aren't completely useless once they have done their job and wait for the enemy air vehicles to respawn.

Oh, and they're pretty damn fun to use. I like piloting jets and to a lesser extent helicopters.

It also adds variety to the game as well. It gives players more choices to choose what kind of vehicle to whore with enjoy using.

I mean, can you imagine me ending up like ocho and just being a tank whore? I can't have that. =P

TheSeks

They destroy tanks and other valuable armored land vehicles from the Battlefield for their team to gain the upper hand by having more vehicles and infantry on the battlefield.

Infantry can already do that.

So, again: Jets are pointless since they 1) can't cap points 2) do a job that is already done by infantry (should be done by infantry anyway) and 3) fly around in circles dogfighting for the majority of the match because it can't do 1.

Helicopters are pointless since they made lock-ons too powerful. But on the converse after nearly 900 hours in BC2 consoles, I never want to see another circle-strafing helicopter-fuck again. So nerf those motherfuckers into the ground for all I care.
Or take them out and give me Tank, Humvee/Infantry-only servers like I want, DICE. Come on.

As far as I know, you should since you're over the 250 ribbon requirement.

Nope got myself over 1000m headshot and only got 1 ribbon. Best place for me is lancang dam.. Spawn in the base and snipe the people on the roof easy 800m+HS. If not, for some 250-300m HS try it in Gulf of Oman and snipe the people on the top of the hotels, easy picking!

Infantry can already do that.

Infantry can do fucking everything in this game. Going by that logic why even have any vehicles to begin with? If anything this point amplifies a frustrating trend of infantry always being prioritized over vehicular combat and getting the most power in modern Battlefield games.

Infantry should be able to take down armored vehicles if they coordinate well. As of now everyone in the game is a super soldier capable of carrying 7 rockets and manage to kill attack choppers with ease and still run endlessly without a hint of fatigue. Ironically enough, they still rarely manage to kill good tank drivers despite all of that.

So, again: Jets are pointless since they 1) can't cap points 2) do a job that is already done by infantry (should be done by infantry anyway) and 3) fly around in circles dogfighting for the majority of the match because it can't do 1.

Capping points isn't the end all be all of how useful someone is. The reason ocho doesn't blindly run towards an enemy flag with his tank is because he would be killed in an instant and lose a valuable asset to the team. Same reason why an F35 pilot doesn't hover over a flag to cap it, because that would be dumb as fuck and completely disregard how he could be much more valuable to the team if he kills enemy air and damage ground vehicles instead. Might as well label all vehicles pointless as no good driver nor pilot tries to capture a point without careful consideration of their surroundings.

I already addressed the second point earlier in this post.

Jets don't spend the majority of the match dogfighting unless both are somehow run by the best pilots in the game, and this is if they are both using stealth jets. Good jet pilots spend the vast majority of their time killing enemy air and ground vehicles and help their team gain the upper hand.

They are game changers. In BF3 attack jets took down tanks in around 4 seconds with their main cannons, they were incredibly useful for attackers, especially for maps such as Caspian where there was a ton of tanks involved. Should we be complaining that they can't arm an MCOM despite all of that? Because that is the objective of Rush after all. They are similarly valuable in BF4 in Rush and Conquest as well this time around, even if they are much less powerful than before.

Helicopters are pointless since they made lock-ons too powerful. But on the converse after nearly 900 hours in BC2 consoles, I never want to see another circle-strafing helicopter-fuck again. So nerf those motherfuckers into the ground for all I care.
Or take them out and give me Tank, Humvee/Infantry-only servers like I want, DICE. Come on.

Helicopters are still powerful when used by people who are dedicated in flying them and can manage to deal with bullshit balance/infantry and anti air being too powerful. Decent helicopter pilots also still do well as long as they play carefully too. Infantry can't reliably take down a good tank driver as well as an attack helicopter can, even if infantry is still very powerful in this game. Maybe in BF5 engineers will be able to one hit kill a tank with a single RPG, who knows.

One last thing; vehicles in Battlefield provide gameplay depth that you rarely see in other games of the same genre. If we take down vehicles because infantry can practically produce the same result a vehicle can, people will bring into question why they don't just play CoD or Counter Strike instead. we might as well not call it a Battlefield game anymore. I want vehicles to have a bigger impact in Battlefield games, not be reduced to cannon fodder for the BB gun shooting infantry to destroy as part of their promised epic cinematic immersive gameplay bullshit where tanks and choppers are constantly taken down with ease.

/rant

RedAssedApe

Banned
man just not having fun with this. feel like 90% of the time i end up on a team that gets steam rolled. on the bright side i haven't had much rubber banding as of late. but not sure if i even want to keep playing. unlocks seem to take forever :\

i love me some chopper action. But a solo chopper guy is toast in 10 seconds flat due to 90% of people playing engineers with Stingers + having that godlike Anti-Air tank with infinite range :D

Thats why i always fly with a buddy who repairs the chopper and fires off stingers on board. This way its atleast a little balanced. Just wish the choppers could fly below radar or something to avoid some of the stinger-spam.

And we do cap flags and help out the team in general. Choppers are fine in my opinion. Jets rarely do anything useful beyond taking out the odd chopper or tank here and there.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Choppers are fantastic. I think they have a lot of value when handled by a good pilot and team. A lot of the maps compliment attack choppers as an alternative to take out tanks and more importantly put pressure on snipers or infantry on high, defensive ground. Little birds are really anti-infantry efficient support tools in the hands of good players, again to thin out high ground campers. And a good squad in the troop transport can capture flags super quick. Maybe they suck on other modes, but on the best maps in Conquest choppers are pretty valuable.

Omni

man just not having fun with this. feel like 90% of the time i end up on a team that gets steam rolled. on the bright side i haven't had much rubber banding as of late. but not sure if i even want to keep playing. unlocks seem to take forever :\
I'm getting steamrolled like 50% of the time. It has got to the point where if I know we're gonna lose I'll just make my own fun and pad my k/d a bit. No use going for the objective if you're the only one doing so against a team of decent players *shrugs*

TheSeks

Jets don't spend the majority of the match dogfighting unless both are somehow run by the best pilots in the game, and this is if they are both using stealth jets. Good jet pilots spend the vast majority of their time killing enemy air and ground vehicles and help their team gain the upper hand.

Yeah... gonna disagree with that, strongly. Jet pilots are mostly flying around and maybe taking one or two vehicles out unless they're somehow GDLK pilots and even then they're still flying around waiting for the next jet to come up to do another pointless mini-game-within-the-game jet-dogfighting sequence.

Should we be complaining that they can't arm an MCOM despite all of that?

Yes. Double-so since all they do is fly around and wait for the next jet to pop-up in Rush. Might as well take them out.

Helicopters are still powerful when used by people who are dedicated in flying them and can manage to deal with bullshit balance/infantry and anti air being too powerful. Decent helicopter pilots also still do well as long as they play carefully too. Infantry can't reliably take down a good tank driver as well as an attack helicopter can, even if infantry is still very powerful in this game. Maybe in BF5 engineers will be able to one hit kill a tank with a single RPG, who knows.

"Helicopters are flying coffins now. Stingers are too strong! Flying coffins! Stingers!"
"Helicopters actually are still powerful when used by people who are dedicated in flying them."

Make up your mind, man.

One last thing; vehicles in Battlefield provide gameplay depth that you rarely see in other games of the same genre. If we take down vehicles because infantry can practically produce the same result a vehicle can, people will bring into question why they don't just play CoD or Counter Strike instead. we might as well not call it a Battlefield game anymore. I want vehicles to have a bigger impact in Battlefield games, not be reduced to cannon fodder for the BB gun shooting infantry to destroy as part of their promised epic cinematic immersive gameplay bullshit where tanks and choppers are constantly taken down with ease.

/rant

Here's the thing:

Tanks and Humvees add support and can go to objectives and cap and arm while providing cover for said cap and arming.

Helicopters can provide some support roles and maybe start a cap support before flying away.

Jets? Uh... um... *crickets*. Dogfighting simulator with SAY THAT TO MY FACE FUCKER ONLINE AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS 1v1 MATE people.

But since DICE can't even balance the air vehicles to where they aren't useless/too powerful, they might as well take them out and make it ground vehicles/infantry.

Top Bottom