• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT| See, Spot, Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklord

Banned
UFRA said:
HUH???

Is that a joke or is he serious? .... :/

T1000_3.jpg

He must have thought T2 was more realistic than Hamburger Hill.

Weird that IGN gave MW2 a 10 for sound, but BFBC2 only rated a 9. Personally I think BFBC2 has the best sound ever featured in a game and sets a new high water mark not just for the genre but the entire industry... but maybe that's just me. And every gamer I've spoken to on the subject.

CrazedArabMan said:
My concern with the review was that every sentence had MW2 in it which in inevitable but still. I am one of the few who will look forward to the campaign and the MP.

Same here, every thing is saw or heard in the video review, the name MW2 has been mentioned more then Battlefield BC2. WTF?

sweetvar26 said:
Same here, every thing is saw or heard in the video review, the name MW2 has been mentioned more then Battlefield BC2. WTF?

Yeah, not a bad review score but seriously, an 8.9? They couldn't bump it up to a 9 or what?

Jtrizzy

Game deserves a 9 because they fucked up on sound. Even without using the war tapes setting, the audio is still a 10. Heavy Rain and this have the most impressive sound design I've heard.

endlessflood said:
Weird that IGN gave MW2 a 10 for sound, but BFBC2 only rated a 9. Personally I think BFBC2 has the best sound ever featured in a game and sets a new high water mark not just for the genre but the entire industry... but maybe that's just me. And every gamer I've spoken to on the subject.

If you look at the MW2 sound remarks, they're giving the game 10 largely for the soundtrack. Which I can agree that bfbc2 is probably a bit lacking in.

Jtrizzy said:
Game deserves a 9 because they fucked up on sound. Even without using the war tapes setting, the audio is still a 10. Heavy Rain and this have the most impressive sound design I've heard.

What is this war tapes setting I keep hearing about?

Jtrizzy

TheLegendary said:
What is this war tapes setting I keep hearing about?

It's an ingame setting for sound. I can't think of a good way to describe it, but if you have DD 5.1, you absolutely want to change it. Not sure how it does in 2.0 etc.

You can change it back and forth in the menu to see if you like it.

Eternal Sleeper said:
If you look at the MW2 sound remarks, they're giving the game 10 largely for the soundtrack. Which I can agree that bfbc2 is probably a bit lacking in.

But even then, it's sound track didn't deserve a 10.

Jtrizzy

With regard to the new point levels--Wow!

I'm glad they lowered them, but I think they took it too far. In the beta it took 270K to get the M16, now only 47K:lol that will take no time. Either way I'm just glad it won't take ridiculous point totals to unlock weapons and perks.

XM8 is 3K:lol I'll have that in the first game:lol

Lkr

Jtrizzy said:
With regard to the new point levels--Wow!

I'm glad they lowered them, but I think they took it too far. In the beta it took 270K to get the M16, now only 47K:lol that will take no time. Either way I'm just glad it won't take ridiculous point totals to unlock weapons and perks.

XM8 is 3K:lol I'll have that in the first game:lol
Link to this? And I never got the m16. XM8 was good enough tbh

The first time I fired up MW2, I couldn't understand why all the guns sounded like toys. The sound really is pathetic.

Thank fucking god for the fuckawesome sound design in BC2.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I'm going to marathon through the Dawn of War II campaign on co-op before this releases to ease the hunger.

I wish you all the best of luck through these harsh times.

Vormund

ezekial45 said:
Is anyone else having problems registering BF1943 on that veterans page?

Yep. Just does nothing.

I registered BF2, BF2:SF, BF2:MC, BF2142 and BF:BC fine. BF1943 just refuses to register for some reason.

ezekial45

Banned
Vormund said:
Yep. Just does nothing.

I registered BF2, BF2:SF, BF2:MC, BF2142 and BF:BC fine. BF1943 just refuses to register for some reason.

What rank do you need to unlock the weapons? I only have BF Heroes and BF2142 uploaded (can't get BF1943 on).

Menelaus

Banned
Interesting to see the Gamespot codes going out. I was going to cancel my GS preorder tomorrow (preordered with Amazon instead), but might wait till sunday and see if I can get a code out of GS first :lol

Vormund

ezekial45 said:
What rank do you need to unlock the weapons? I only have BF Heroes and BF2142 uploaded (can't get BF1943 on).

Not sure if certain rankings allows you to unlock more weapons. I think the 1942 weapons only need a rank 1 off the top of my head.

Wthermans

Banned
Enosh said:
christ the vetaran page doesn't want to accept my 2142 ID, althrough it works fine on the official 2142 page where you can look up your stats -.-
I've had trouble with my BFV CD Key for MONTHS. My 2142 Key won't work either. :(

I'm kinda tempted to call DICE and get this shit straight.

Wag

Is it doable to buy the Australian PC Limited Edition and run it in US territory? It's much cheaper to buy it from AU, even after the conversion rate and shipping (I don't mind waiting).

Wthermans

Banned
Eternal Sleeper said:
So IGN gives sound reviews on background music and not in-game ambience? Cool. Who cares what's happening in-game as long as we've got heart-pounding bass to compensate!

Jtrizzy

From the GI interview with Patrick Bach posted above:

What is the craziest thing you ever saw happen in a Battlefield multiplayer match?
I have actually seen an RPG being shot at a Blackhawk helicopter missing the hull by flying through the open side doors, killing soldiers inside but continuing out the other door not damaging the helicopter at all. That was amazing. These kind of things happen all the time, but in ways no one could have designed the game for. They just happen.

It's crazy how much stuff people do that the developers didn't seem to actually have in mind.

Risette

A Good Citizen
What's great about the MW2 music? I honestly don't remember a single track aside from the menu music. :/

Anyways, this is the BC2 thread. We should really stop talking about MW2, shouldn't we?

Wthermans

Banned
Jtrizzy said:

It's crazy how much stuff people do that the developers didn't seem to actually have in mind.
That was fun in BF2 during the Blackhawk Squad days. 2 Engis + Pilot + 2 Gunners + 2 people spamming mines/C4/nades was awesome.

Wthermans

Banned
Fyrus said:
What's great about the MW2 music? I honestly don't remember a single track aside from the menu music. :/

Anyways, this is the BC2 thread. We should really stop talking about MW2, shouldn't we?
Hype. People are crazy about Hans Zimmer (and rightfully so). The music was great, but the whole thing seemed way too orchestrated and over the top which kinda detracted from the experience.

Darklord

Banned
Wag said:
Is it doable to buy the Australian PC Limited Edition and run it in US territory? It's much cheaper to buy it from AU, even after the conversion rate and shipping (I don't mind waiting).

What? Cheaper? It costs a shit load more. It's $78US. Try getting it at Game.co.uk, it's only $36US. If you really want the AU version, yeah it'll work ok.

Shawsie64

Banned
Jtrizzy said:

It totally is like a sandbox ay, the amount of amazing shit iv seen it soo cool. Once I blind fired my RPG through tree branches to clip a helicopters tails and take it out. AMAZING!

Jtrizzy

I only got about 3 hours into the single player for MW2, and nothing about the sound sticks out to me.

The real meat of these two games is the MP, so the soundtrack for SP is kind of meaningless imo. If I were reviewing, the majority of my focus would be on sound design/sound effects. Of course in a truly cinematic game focused on single player, the soundtrack is really important.

If anything, I wish all MP FPS had custom soundtracks. After x amount of hours you need a little change of pace:D

Fyrus said:

I honestly don't remember any music from MW2. None. Or CoD4 for that matter. I'm sure if I heard a track, I would be familiar with it, but off the top of my head, I got nothing. I don't get the love for the MW2 soundtrack.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I rarely find any music these days to be truly memorable, especially those of FPS's. All the orchestrated movie-like soundtracks sounds the same.

I'm having this internal dialog wondering if I should cancel my order for this game for the 360, and just get it for the PC instead. I like the idea of larger matches, but I'm worried about cheaters and I haven't played a PC FPS competivily since Planetside. Plus I played the hell out of BC1 on the 360.

Opinions, GAF?

Also, does it feel "twitchy" a la MW2?

Lunchbox

Banned
:lol

this thread is awesome now. all the MW2 hate is coming out full force. need a few more websites to give this a "low" score

IGN is dead to me. Last straw I'm not going to that website ever again. Not like IGN care anyways. No it's not about the score it's something else.

moojito

Lunchbox said:
:lol

this thread is awesome now. all the MW2 hate is coming out full force. need a few more websites to give this a "low" score

If you love mw2 hate you should check out the mw2 thread itself! Noone hates that game more than the people who play it (it seems).

mclaren777

Chrange said:
Single player looks pretty good. Sound is amazing, but maybe a little TOO over the top. Like the first one though, so no surprises there.

Link goes to larger version with a special Square-Enix capture surprise!
Anymore where that came from? And what's with the mouse pointer? Is that really from the PC version?

Wthermans

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
I honestly don't remember any music from MW2. None. Or CoD4 for that matter. I'm sure if I heard a track, I would be familiar with it, but off the top of my head, I got nothing. I don't get the love for the MW2 soundtrack.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I rarely find any music these days to be truly memorable, especially those of FPS's. All the orchestrated movie-like soundtracks sounds the same.
The biggest thing that made people love the MW2 music is it seemed to be pulled straight from an action movie (it kinda was since Hans Zimmer is responsible for the scores from many actions movies---The Rock, Black Hawk Down, Pearl Harbor, MI2, Gladiator, Last Samurai, POTC, Batman Begins/TDK, etc). Not to mention that same score fit perfectly into the action during the game (the snowmobile jump, the ICBM launch, the retaking of DC, etc). The background music being so intense and flowing with the story at exactly the right moments is why MW2 is so regarded for it's sound. Yeah MW2 weapon sounds and explosions aren't anywhere close to BC2, but BC2's score hasn't come close to what MW2 offered.

MW2's score simply added another point to the board for how video games are becoming more and more like interactive movies. There really hasn't been another game that had such a well known composer produce such well placed audio that made the experience rival that which you receive from spending 2 hours at a theater.

Wthermans

Banned
mclaren777 said:
Anymore where that came from? And what's with the mouse pointer? Is that really from the PC version?
The crosshairs are in the middle of the screen. They're white so they're kinda hard to see. Also, it looks like that screenshot is pulled from the Day 1 DLC video.

Wthermans said:
The biggest thing that made people love the MW2 music is it seemed to be pulled straight from an action movie (it kinda was since Hans Zimmer is responsible for the scores from many actions movies---The Rock, Black Hawk Down, Pearl Harbor, MI2, Gladiator, Last Samurai, POTC, Batman Begins/TDK, etc). Not to mention that same score fit perfectly into the action during the game (the snowmobile jump, the ICBM launch, the retaking of DC, etc). The background music being so intense and flowing with the story at exactly the right moments is why MW2 is so regarded for it's sound. Yeah MW2 weapon sounds and explosions aren't anywhere close to BC2, but BC2's score hasn't come close to what MW2 offered.

MW2's score simply added another point to the board for how video games are becoming more and more like interactive movies. There really hasn't been another game that had such a well known composer produce such well placed audio that made the experience rival that which you receive from spending 2 hours at a theater.

I guess that cool and all, and I could see why someone would dock points from BC2 seeing as it probably doesn't do the same music to gameplay synchronization as well, but it all sounds so generic to me. I vastly prefer actual themes like for example in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly to the intense, brooding soundtracks most movies, and games seem to be adopting these days.

I guess there's a time and place for everything though, and it's not like I hate it, I just don't find it memorable at all. "Real" videogamey music like the Super Mario Galaxy soundtrack sticks with me, but that obviously couldn't be done in Battlefield BC2, or Modern Warfare 2 with the tone they are going for.

xclaw

Tuesday can't come soon enough, been trying to pass the time with the first Bad Company but it's hard now that I've had a taste of both betas.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom