• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT| See, Spot, Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Druz

Lkr said:
My GTS 250 only went medium and 2xaa/8xaf. depends on your definition of "great"

There were no high textures. 2xaa and 8xaf really necessary? GTS250 = 9800GTX+ if I'm not mistaken, which is what I have. Ran the game fantastically. I'm not a sucker for AA or AF though.

The Faceless Master said:
seriously, i am SOOO happy that the points aren't retarded anymore. double dippers rejoice!

Same here. 270k for last weapons was just insane...

I already made my mind about never getting and never using the last weapons of the multiplayer, now I rejoice ! M16, M95 (kekeke) here I come !

mr_nothin

Banned
Druz said:
There were no high textures. 2xaa and 8xaf really necessary? GTS250 = 9800GTX+ if I'm not mistaken, which is what I have. Ran the game fantastically. I'm not a sucker for AA or AF though.
No AF kinda negates the point of high res textures...unless you just like to look at a high res gun texture.

kaskade

Got my pre-order for the 360 version on amazon. 20 dollar credit is awesome. Looks like that will be going to either FXIII or GoW 3.

Jtrizzy

Confidence Man said:
Damn. I thought the time it took to unlock weapons in the PS3 beta was just about perfect.

What? they were way too high. 270K for the M16. That takes waay too long. Now they are too low though. That said, I'd rather have the latter.

Jtrizzy said:
What? they were way too high. 270K for the M16. That takes waay too long. Now they are too low though. That said, I'd rather have the latter.
but hey, too high means you can't use them period, too low means you can set your own arbitrary goal and not use them until then!

Variable

Sorry if this has been asked already. Is there going to be a demo for the PC version of the game? I know there is a beta out, but that is limited to those who got a key, right?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
but hey, too high means you can't use them period, too low means you can set your own arbitrary goal and not use them until then!

I think that is why I liked the high point unlocks. It forces the player to put the time in, get kills and assists to gain the massive amounts of points you need to get better guns for more kills. It seemed like more of a payoff when the levels were higher.

Now they are low enough that it really doesn't take the same amount of skill to acquire the best weapons and it will take good players much less time. I consider that a balance issue.

But hey just more kills for me. :lol

RbBrdMan said:
I think that is why I liked the high point unlocks. It forces the player to put the time in, get kills and assists to gain the massive amounts of points you need to get better guns for more kills. It seemed like more of a payoff when the levels were higher.

Now they are low enough that it really doesn't take the same amount of skill to acquire the best weapons and it will take good players much less time. I consider that a balance issue.

But hey just more kills for me. :lol
nah, 270k points means good players and stat boosters will have all the weapons LONG before not-good players, 47k means the gap is much smaller

DietRob

nah, 270k points means good players and stat boosters will have all the weapons LONG before not-good players, 47k means the gap is much smaller

IDK unlocking a weapon every other match just doesn't seem as rewarding as having to earn it so to speak. Boosters will be boosters and those guys are ALWAYS going to have everything unlocked quicker than you or I. Why not make them sweat a little. Instead of having everything a week after launch.

With this approach I hope that DICE unlocks more guns and incentives down the road to ensure a strong, lasting community once everything in the game has been given away.

blanky

RbBrdMan said:
IDK unlocking a weapon every other match just doesn't seem as rewarding as having to earn it so to speak. Boosters will be boosters and those guys are ALWAYS going to have everything unlocked quicker than you or I. Why not make them sweat a little. Instead of having everything a week after launch.

With this approach I hope that DICE unlocks more guns and incentives down the road to ensure a strong, lasting community once everything in the game has been given away.

They're both extremes in my opinion, 270k is a shit load of points. but 47k is the other side. Then again this is just one of the 4 kits, so there's a whole lot of unlocking to do. I prefer having it earlier than having to fight for it that long, it's not supposed to become a grindfest.

RbBrdMan said:

i find 'having fun' and 'winning' to be good incentives, and weapon unlocks to be an annoyance. they just went from a major annoyance to a minor one, and i'm celebrating a partial victory.

IceMarker

Well, looks like it's easier than I thought to get the M1 Garand in BF:BC2. This may sound like heresy to the hardcore longtime BF fans, but I've never played another BF in my life! So of course I have no Veteran status. Lucky for me 1 veteran rank = 2 BF games, and you only need rank 1 to get the M1 Garand. All I had to do was play Battlefield Heroes and the Battlefield 2 Demo and link it and tada! I'm now a rank 1 veteran! :lol :D

(Though technically you could probably get Rank 1 Veteran status if you just play Heroes and then when BF:BC2 comes out sign in with the same email.)

iam220

Lkr said:
My GTS 250 only went medium and 2xaa/8xaf. depends on your definition of "great"

I'd imagine the 8800GT can pull off mostly high settings with 0xaa/8xaf DX9 @ 1080p.

Usually 0xaa provides really low image iq but for some reason in this game 0xaa looks very sharp. I have no idea why, but the edges are hardly jaggy. Blur perhaps? In any case the game looks fantastic on highish settings with no aa.

Thanks to MW2's broken multiplayer, I don't think I'll ever buy another FPS on day 1. Will wait a couple of months to see if MP has serious issues, and to see if they will make good on their word for co-op.

Lkr

palpabl_purpura said:
Thanks to MW2's broken multiplayer, I don't think I'll ever buy another FPS on day 1. Will wait a couple of months to see if MP has serious issues, and to see if they will make good on their word for co-op.
This game had a beta and demo to tweak issues unlike mw2

DietRob

palpabl_purpura said:

Most of us have waited a couple of months while playing the MP so we know there aren't many issues. With the extensive beta testing DICE did I'm confident that any glaring issues have been taken care of. Sure some guys go straight for the tanks and heli's constantly but after playing the demo so long I know there is balance.

If your looking for a game to fill the void caused by IW's mess BC2 should be a strong consideration for you. I know when I got in the demo I didn't even think about returning to that glitchfest mess anymore. In fact traded the game in, and the demo only had ONE map.. o_O

MMaRsu

palpabl_purpura said:

Yeah I sold MW2 when the BC2 demo came out. It's balanced, it's not glitchy at all and there seem to be less annoying assholes running around.

Vard

I'm glad that they lowered the points to unlock the weapons. One of the things I love about 1943 is that everyone's weapons are the same so there's no extra advantage given to players who have played more. I put like 40 hours into 1943 simply because it's incredibly fun - and that only had 3 maps.

Really want to sell MW2 as well but it's still the go-to game for messing around with friends. It's almost more social than game oriented with a lot of people which is why it's successful even if the gameplay is crap.

Anyway (yes...these comparisons are inevitable) , I'm looking forward to a legitimate multiplayer shooter that' fun AND offers some social aspects. Hopefully some people pick up on it.

iam220 said:
I'd imagine the 8800GT can pull off mostly high settings with 0xaa/8xaf DX9 @ 1080p.

Usually 0xaa provides really low image iq but for some reason in this game 0xaa looks very sharp. I have no idea why, but the edges are hardly jaggy. Blur perhaps? In any case the game looks fantastic on highish settings with no aa.
Pretty sure there is no motion blur in the game.

Snowballo

IGN REVIEW is out

Closing Comments

Those looking at Bad Company 2 as only a single-player game might come away disappointed. It's an action packed, gorgeous, and explosive game but it doesn't quite come together into a campaign for the ages. It more feels like an added bonus to the multiplayer game and for those in search of that, this is a great choice. Bad Company 2 as an online shooter is flexible and engaging, offering several features that the competition can only dream of. If you're looking for a more strategic and team-based change of pace, look no further. This is the game for you.

IGN Ratings for Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PS3)Rating

8.0 Presentation
The team at DICE went for a more cinematic and epic feel with Bad Company 2 and almost nailed it.

9.0 Graphics
Those backdrops sure are gorgeous. The destructible environments add to the chaos quite nicely.

9.0 Sound
Some fantastic audio samples and above average voice acting.

9.0 Gameplay
Solid shooting mechanics and an excellent approach to multiplayer combat.

9.0 Lasting Appeal
This is the kind of multiplayer game you can go back to for months and months without getting bored.

Great OVERALL

MMaRsu

Snowballo said:
IGN REVIEW is out

Closing Comments

Those looking at Bad Company 2 as only a single-player game might come away disappointed. It's an action packed, gorgeous, and explosive game but it doesn't quite come together into a campaign for the ages. It more feels like an added bonus to the multiplayer game and for those in search of that, this is a great choice. Bad Company 2 as an online shooter is flexible and engaging, offering several features that the competition can only dream of. If you're looking for a more strategic and team-based change of pace, look no further. This is the game for you.

IGN Ratings for Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PS3)Rating

8.0 Presentation
The team at DICE went for a more cinematic and epic feel with Bad Company 2 and almost nailed it.

9.0 Graphics
Those backdrops sure are gorgeous. The destructible environments add to the chaos quite nicely.

9.0 Sound
Some fantastic audio samples and above average voice acting.

9.0 Gameplay
Solid shooting mechanics and an excellent approach to multiplayer combat.

9.0 Lasting Appeal
This is the kind of multiplayer game you can go back to for months and months without getting bored.

Great OVERALL

Already posted and no need to spoiler the score.

zsswimmer

Skilotonn said:
I had to Google the Battlefield Veteran site since it wasn't posted in the OP and I couldn't find it in here...

http://veteran.battlefield.com/

I was pleasantly surprised that my account for Battlefield 2 was still there and it linked, then again, I loved that game to death back in the PC days... :)

Really cannot wait for this game, I was really loving the demo, too bad I didn't get the time to play it as much as I wanted to, and I can't imagine they'd pull a bonehead move at the very end with the controls for me to decide to pass on the game like BC1 (beta controls were perfect, demo version had horrible vehicles controls to me)...

And it's already coming next week, and my time is freed up again so it's game time...
Apparently someone has already claimed my Battlefield 1942, Road to Rome, and Vietnam CD Keys (I bought 'The Complete Collection'). What the fuck o.0

MMaRsu said:
Yeah I sold MW2 when the BC2 demo came out. It's balanced, it's not glitchy at all and there seem to be less annoying assholes running around.

Yeah, I did play the demo and did like it, but I'd rather take the cautious approach and wait to see if there are serious issues. You never know. Also, co-op is a big draw for me, so I will have to see if DICE makes good on delivering it. With GOW3, FF13 coming out, March looks like a busy month for me.

VASPER

Banned
ndr4gh.jpg

Ill give some impressions later when i get the chance to play.

BlaneH

Banned
EvaPlusMinus said:
Mannn, don't be promoting lone wolves! I'll be sure to fav your server and give it lots of love, mate.

Btw, what's the rough cost for a server? Semi interested.

Is it weird that I find the recon to be the least interesting class?

Not really. I love the class but it's pretty straight forward.

Violater

Eternal Sleeper said:
refresh the page, it should show up automatically (no need to input anything) after you create a hero.

That is assuming you used the same email for both BF:H & the vet site.
:0 hmm

Dax01 said:
What the fuck is "ew" about those pictures?:lol :lol It looks great.

Low res, visible jaggies, not as many details on character models. DX 11 lighting is better. Look at the gun model in the next to last pic, thats pretty "ew' to me....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom