• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT| See, Spot, Run

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i just played Arica Harbor Conquest and noticed that they changed up the rock geometry at the top/right of the hill near the US base to make it really easy to get up there. previously, it was really easy for the russian team to camp the US team up there unless you knew the super-not-so-secret way to get up there from behind the hill.

Hellcrow

1stStrike said:
Woo, posting on gaf is extremely painful right now.

Anyway, last night's operation to get my friend addicted to battlefield was successful. He just picked up a copy and we'll be playing tonight :D

He is a nub, and is pretty bad at the game, but I'll school him up. He'll be a pro dirty tactic player like me in no time!

Wish my friends where as easily converted. Damn you UT purists!

Deadlock

The Faceless Master said:
so i just played Arica Harbor Conquest and noticed that they changed up the rock geometry at the top/right of the hill near the US base to make it really easy to get up there. previously, it was really easy for the russian team to camp the US team up there unless you knew the super-not-so-secret way to get up there from behind the hill.
I'm not super postive, but I think they made the map more open up there. You can go pretty high up the hill which was out of bounds before.

I've been playing on hardcore the past few days, and it's making my road to all golds much easier. Pretty much every weapon is really good. Shotguns with slugs/magnum are basically a one hit kill.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Remember kids:
OfficialBFBC2 said:
EA Server down time scheduled for today has instead been pushed to tomorrow (17th) morning at 05:00 EST. PC will be unaffected.

Bazajaytee said:
When the servers return you should find when connecting to a game you are routed to your local server datacentre and not across the world. You will still be able to connect to friends world wide but quick play should provide you with a better overall connection and experience.

todahawk

Hey Cornbread, sorry i had to bail on you last night, kept getting dumped out to the main menu. I joined Olimpia and everything was fairly smooth after that (just a little rubberbanding & lag).

Had some great fun last night, stole 3 vehicles from the other team right out from under their noses. Twice I just grabbed it while he was repairing on the other side and the third time I popped the engy and took off.

Went on a crazy tear with the CG on Atamaca, shot down 3 choppers and tagged and killed a bunch of tanks. Next round I decided to camp my ass out in the AA gun near B (with dam+) and shot down 4. I had the dood hoofing it on foot trying to get me he was so pissed. :lol

Cornbread78

greenjerk said:
Hey Cornbread, sorry i had to bail on you last night, kept getting dumped out to the main menu. I joined Olimpia and everything was fairly smooth after that (just a little rubberbanding & lag).
Had some great fun last night, stole 3 vehicles from the other team right out from under their noses. Twice I just grabbed it while he was repairing on the other side and the third time I popped the engy and took off.
Went on a crazy tear with the CG on Atamaca, shot down 3 choppers and tagged and killed a bunch of tanks. Next round I decided to camp my ass out in the AA gun near B (with dam+) and shot down 4. I had the dood hoofing it on foot trying to get me he was so pissed. :lol

No problem. You missed the fun though. Aftern those idiots won that round after takenig abot 30 mins to do so, and having to blow up every Mcom station. They had to "defend" let's just say we won the next round in less than 5 mins! seriously, those jerk-offs went down like little lambs, I evsdn think the kitten that was terrorizing my house was laughing at them. 600+ points for dropping 6 sticks of c-4 and blasting the crp outta M-Com station is a very nice bonus, but it beginning to change RUSH completely.... C4, C4, C4, C4, non stop.... Damn clowns...

Treo360

Cornbread78 said:
No problem. You missed the fun though. Aftern those idiots won that round after takenig abot 30 mins to do so, and having to blow up every Mcom station. They had to "defend" let's just say we won the next round in less than 5 mins! seriously, those jerk-offs went down like little lambs, I evsdn think the kitten that was terrorizing my house was laughing at them. 600+ points for dropping 6 sticks of c-4 and blasting the crp outta M-Com station is a very nice bonus, but it beginning to change RUSH completely.... C4, C4, C4, C4, non stop.... Damn clowns...

Beginning? Nah dude, it's been that way since beta, and it's a very viable tactic, especially if the other squads are just camping fools. I average 4k-5k before bonuses as a result, and guess what? It forces the defense to change tactics as well, which can lead to less camping.

I actually got hate mail from teammates complaining that they didn't have enough time to rack up kills. I usually write back with "Play deathmatch or MW2 instead then."

1stStrike

Banned
I do tend to feel jipped when a rush game ends in like 10 minutes. It just feels way too short, and not epic at all like rush usually is.

I've noticed more and more people just C4 MCOM's these days too. Sure, it's a valid tactic, but the problem is that most randoms don't change their tactics and continue to just run around all crazy and shit. Thus, we never have enough people to guard the MCOM's/push the attackers back so they can't get near the MCOM's.

It's only when I'm on maps like Valparisio and arica harbor (Last Stand) where it's hard for them to just rush in to the MCOM that I'm like, "Yea, try to C4 this shit bitch"

They usually fail hard and end up losing because they can't do anything without C4ing MCOM's.

Treo360

1stStrike said:
I do tend to feel jipped when a rush game ends in like 10 minutes. It just feels way too short, and not epic at all like rush usually is.

I've noticed more and more people just C4 MCOM's these days too. Sure, it's a valid tactic, but the problem is that most randoms don't change their tactics and continue to just run around all crazy and shit. Thus, we never have enough people to guard the MCOM's/push the attackers back so they can't get near the MCOM's.

It's only when I'm on maps like Valparisio and arica harbor (Last Stand) where it's hard for them to just rush in to the MCOM that I'm like, "Yea, try to C4 this shit bitch"

They usually fail hard and end up losing because they can't do anything without C4ing MCOM's.

Then they suck. Because on the last one I find it pretty easy if you have the right squad makeup. Two assaults an a medic and engineer can take out Alpha and Bravo. Heck you don't even have to be in Alpha to take that out (I'm referring to Arica), and 8 Carls/Rpgs make short work of Bravo, or assault + smoke with another assault and C4 and medic sniper providing cover.

Valparisio is easy too though the next to last section can be a bitch without a Helo and a quad.

Most of the time I wait and see what team I'm in. If it's all or mostly Wookies then I get mad and think, okay stat padders who only care for K/D.

As for defending against the C4 mob? Well, beat them to it. Destroy all cover in and around the Mcoms when possible.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

They also fixed the ridge on White Pass behind "B" that I used to get stuck in atleast once every single game resulting in me having to commit suicide to get out.

1stStrike

Banned
Treo360 said:
Then they suck. Because on the last one I find it pretty easy if you have the right squad makeup. Two assaults an a medic and engineer can take out Alpha and Bravo. Heck you don't even have to be in Alpha to take that out (I'm referring to Arica), and 8 Carls/Rpgs make short work of Bravo, or assault + smoke with another assault and C4 and medic sniper providing cover.

Valparisio is easy too though the next to last section can be a bitch without a Helo and a quad.

Most of the time I wait and see what team I'm in. If it's all or mostly Wookies then I get mad and think, okay stat padders who only care for K/D.

As for defending against the C4 mob? Well, beat them to it. Destroy all cover in and around the Mcoms when possible.

Yes, that's what I was saying. They have no skill/are one trick ponies/can't do anything without C4.

todahawk

So after Olimpia logs off I figure I'll hang out in conquest mode and work on some d 2.0 kills. Next map up is Whitepass!

So, I immediately go recon with extra c4 and damage+ and quad over to B and there's two dudes already laying freaking C4!

I'm going back to rush mode and just bring down m-com buildings for my kills. Everyone is trying too hard on conquest and fighting over buildings to blow. Seriously, my mini-map and hud was filled with C4 indicators.

Had some good games last night. Great time, but some things I'd personally like changed:

-Choppers are now used more as quick, single-double person transports/suicide vehicles...and it actually works. On Isla Inocentes, at least, flying and bailing out of a chopper causes complete havoc because the chopper exploding itself causes mass debris/smoke/confusion, and it's hard to tell if the parachuters have been killed or make it out alive. They should make it that if you bail from a chopper at high speed, then your parachute CANNOT deploy and save you--the chopper should have to be relatively slow/hovering in order for the parachute to deploy properly
-Carl Gustav balances: these balances would make the RPG-7 more useful and hopefully even out the CG a bit. First, the CG should have the nasty "rocket drop", not the RPG-7. RPG-7 is rarely used because it's so slow, and it has a lot more drop, making long shots difficult and virtually impossible on moving targets. If the CG is going to have a devastating effect on infantry, then make it travel slow or have more drop, or change it's speed according to distance. You might think this would make the RPG-7 the new CG, but the RPG-7 doesn't have the same splash damage properties as the CG. As it is now, there is little reason to use the RPG-7 unless the map is full of vehicles.
-Abakan. Personally, I love it, and wish all the guns were balanced around IT, not the other way around. Increase the damage of the other weapons slightly--it feels GREAT to be able to kill in 3 trigger pulls, compared to the other weapons, and it's not a super-insta kill weapon. I think a slight bump in damage for ALL weapons would be better than nerfing the AN...but I guess this goes back to the same old argument. Guess that's just personal preference more than anything else.
-As much as I use this tactic when my team sucks and it's the ONLY way to advance, damage from rocket launchers to MCOMs should be reduced, or the maps should be redesigned to make this harder. In particular, on Valparaiso's first set of MCOM's, its VERY easy for the attackers to just sit back and bombard the MCOM's once the buildings are destroyed. Put some crates in the line of fire or something!

todahawk

I guess being a recon on attack is pretty much frowned upon now? :lol
Start Isla on the attack, I head left along the water, call in a mortar on B as it's armed and start to pick off the converging defenders until some douche assault class steps in front of me and tries to knife me repeatedly. Seriously, WTF is wrong with people? We were 30 seconds in!

Had some random idiot tracer me last week. I don't get that mentality, it's not like I ever go pure MW2 sniper and just sit back and work on my k/d.

greenjerk said:
I guess being a recon on attack is pretty much frowned upon now? :lol
Start Isla on the attack, I head left along the water, call in a mortar on B as it's armed and start to pick off the converging defenders until some douche assault class steps in front of me and tries to knife me repeatedly. Seriously, WTF is wrong with people? We were 30 seconds in!

Had some random idiot tracer me last week. I don't get that mentality, it's not like I ever go pure MW2 sniper and just sit back and work on my k/d.

Strange! Especially since recon can be so devastating on Isla.

I've really started to enjoy Isla, I think it's very underrated. Probably because when your team sucks, it's almost impossible to win, but there's nothing like parachuting from a chopper with three buddies behind the first MCOM B wall, popping smoke, arming and having a medic on hand to revive. Complete chaos...so good.

todahawk

Mr. Snrub said:
Strange! Especially since recon can be so devastating on Isla.

I've really started to enjoy Isla, I think it's very underrated. Probably because when your team sucks, it's almost impossible to win, but there's nothing like parachuting from a chopper with three buddies behind the first MCOM B wall, popping smoke, arming and having a medic on hand to revive. Complete chaos...so good.

Yeah, I love Isla. I love dropping in from the chopper and hiding until squaddies can spawn (under the bridge, along the water behind the wall by A, backside of teh island)

I don't think there's a single map I don't like. And that includes Nelson Bay.

greenjerk said:
Yeah, I love Isla. I love dropping in from the chopper and hiding until squaddies can spawn (under the bridge, along the water behind the wall by A, backside of teh island)

I don't think there's a single map I don't like. And that includes Nelson Bay.

Yeah, each one really has it's own flavor. The moment the "next map" screen comes up I start talking to my squad about the strategy we should use, which classes we're gonna be, etc. Good on DICE for great map design!

Pete Rock

Mr. Snrub said:
They should make it that if you bail from a chopper at high speed, then your parachute CANNOT deploy and save you--the chopper should have to be relatively slow/hovering in order for the parachute to deploy properly
Considering this is DICE and this specific problem (calculating lethal inertia for infantry who've bailed at low altitude from a high speed airborne vehicle, parachute notwithstanding) has plagued every retail release they've ever put out, I wouldn't hold my breath on it getting fixed in BC2 :lol

I actually hate people that pull the Blackhawk personal-taxi bullshit, unless they pre-arm with C4 it's just giving the defenders an aerial firebase to rape the spawn zone after the wayward attacker inevitably fails miserably

Carl Gustav balances: these balances would make the RPG-7 more useful and hopefully even out the CG a bit. First, the CG should have the nasty "rocket drop", not the RPG-7.
Honestly I've never had much of a problem with the CG versus infantry, from day one or after patch, but this wouldn't make any sense in terms of the characteristics of the real counterparts for both of those weapons.

As much as I use this tactic when my team sucks and it's the ONLY way to advance, damage from rocket launchers to MCOMs should be reduced, or the maps should be redesigned to make this harder. In particular, on Valparaiso's first set of MCOM's, its VERY easy for the attackers to just sit back and bombard the MCOM's once the buildings are destroyed. Put some crates in the line of fire or something!
Enh, if your team can't keep the enemy out of line of sight of your crates with explosive weapons you deserve to lose them. On the Valparaiso hill you mention and in every other map with similar circumstances it's incredibly easy to defoliate those areas with mortar strikes, making it a death trap to stand near for more than a few moments.

messy lag on 360 tonight... really messy...
Welcome to my world :lol

1stStrike

Banned
If I can kill Cornbread on it, I like the map! :lol

I might be on later tonight, but more than likely tomorrow after they've done the server side stuff.

Cornbread78

1stStrike said:
If I can kill Cornbread on it, I like the map! :lol

I might be on later tonight, but more than likely tomorrow after they've done the server side stuff.

Ba$tard I tell ya! Next time you 'hear" me planting C-4, stand there and take one for the team will ya! Only 18 left to go!

abuC

They need to boot teammates that are purposely blowing up crates while defending, some clown yesterday had -3000pts, and I saw someone else with -7800 the day before that.

I had some great games last night, in 4 straight games I went:

21/1 (3800pts)
30/3 (4100pts)
22/2 (3200pts)
56/4 (7100pts)

Razor210

I finally learned how awesome motion sensors are on Nelson Bay.

It just feels cheap at times. Been pretty busy lately, but I'll see if I can get on tonight/whenever the servers are up.

AndyD

aka andydumi
abuC said:
They need to boot teammates that are purposely blowing up crates while defending, some clown yesterday had -3000pts, and I saw someone else with -7800 the day before that.

I had some great games last night, in 4 straight games I went:

21/1 (3800pts)
30/3 (41000pts)
22/2 (3200pts)
56/4 (71000pts)

I agree. They need an auto boot at 5 team kills or at 2 self crates (1 can be accidental I guess).

Pete Rock said:
Honestly I've never had much of a problem with the CG versus infantry, from day one or after patch, but this wouldn't make any sense in terms of the characteristics of the real counterparts for both of those weapons.

This is a moot point, none of the weapons make sense in terms of real counterparts.

Enh, if your team can't keep the enemy out of line of sight of your crates with explosive weapons you deserve to lose them. On the Valparaiso hill you mention and in every other map with similar circumstances it's incredibly easy to defoliate those areas with mortar strikes, making it a death trap to stand near for more than a few moments.

You'd think that, but it really doesn't matter. All it takes are 2-4 engineers out of the 16 person attacking team to take them out.

Normally I'd agree, but particularly on Valparaiso it's an issue. It's not a matter of taking out the foliage, unless you take out ALL the foliage. Mortars really don't do it, especially with the increase in recharge time. And sure, if you stand at the top of one of the hills, out in the open, you will get killed, but it only takes one second to shoot a rocket.

My point is, the attackers don't really have to "attack" to take the MCOMs, and that forces the defense to go on the offensive...which is just stupid, considering the intended game design.

1stStrike

Banned
Cornbread78 said:
Ba$tard I tell ya! Next time you 'hear" me planting C-4, stand there and take one for the team will ya! Only 18 left to go!

Well, I don't always know it's you, and admit it, you'd probably shoot me if I tried to run past you :p

So, I take the initiative! It's your fault for always having a full squad :D

Pete Rock

Mr. Snrub said:
This is a moot point, none of the weapons make sense in terms of real counterparts.
The M95 cannot fire 700 RPM

The M60 does not have the bullet drop calculated across the same distance as a sniper round

We'll just have to agree to disagree on what is and is not relevant :lol

My point is, the attackers don't really have to "attack" to take the MCOMs, and that forces the defense to go on the offensive...which is just stupid, considering the intended game design.
There's always a bit of a natural give and take near the fog of war anyway, I've never seen a team that waited within the confines of their base do very well at all throughout the course of a game. I suppose I just don't see it as being as much of a game breaking issue, relative to cheaper tactics such as UAV/Blackhawk C4 runs.

todahawk

Cornbread78 said:

Woo hoo! Only 18 to go!

----

Does anyone know of any instance where you wouldn't HEAR (durr, can't spell) someone putting C4 on your vehicle? I was in a Bradley keeping an eye on B on Laguna Presa when it just blew up. Wasn't shooting or moving as we were keeping our eyes peeled after taking out an enemy squad.

Only thing I can think of is that he planted it during the action and waited awhile to detonate.

Cornbread78

1stStrike said:
Well, I don't always know it's you, and admit it, you'd probably shoot me if I tried to run past you :p

So, I take the initiative! It's your fault for always having a full squad :D

Hey, if I see it's you and I can get a 2.0 kill for it, ya know damn well, my finger will go numb, LOL

greenjerk said:
Does anyone know of any instance where you wouldn't here someone putting C4 on your vehicle? I was in a Bradley keeping an eye on B on Laguna Presa when it just blew up. Wasn't shooting or moving as we were keeping our eyes peeled after taking out an enemy squad.

Only thing I can think of is that he planted it during the action and waited awhile to detonate.

Yes, I can never hear it! Maybe I need to be more attentive. My buddy uses the P21X Turtle Beach headset and he said he can hear EVERYTHING around him, so I might try to save up and buy a pair, that might help!

todahawk

Cornbread78 said:
Hey, if I see it's you and I can get a 2.0 kill for it, ya know damn well, my finger will go numb, LOL

Yes, I can never hear it! Maybe I need to be more attentive. My buddy uses the P21X Turtle Beach headset and he said he can hear EVERYTHING around him, so I might try to save up and buy a pair, that might help!

That's the weird thing, I'm usually pretty good at hearing it plus it was relatively quiet. Don't know how he got us.

I play with a pretty bitchin headset, and I also tend to play with the volume pretty well cranked, and I don't usually hear C4 being planted. If you're in a tank, though, nine times out of ten either the gunner or the operator is firing, or the tank is moving, so ... that's some serious noise to listen past.

todahawk

NEOPARADIGM said:
I play with a pretty bitchin headset, and I also tend to play with the volume pretty well cranked, and I don't usually hear C4 being planted. If you're in a tank, though, nine times out of ten either the gunner or the operator is firing, or the tank is moving, so ... that's some serious noise to listen past.

What headset do you have? Separate mic setup?

^I use the Tritton 720 Pros:

Tritton-AX720.jpg

$149

Best thing about them is you can adjust game volume and chat volume independently. Plus they sound great, if maybe a little light on bass.

desu

Mr. Snrub said:
Normally I'd agree, but particularly on Valparaiso it's an issue. It's not a matter of taking out the foliage, unless you take out ALL the foliage. Mortars really don't do it, especially with the increase in recharge time. And sure, if you stand at the top of one of the hills, out in the open, you will get killed, but it only takes one second to shoot a rocket.

I am playing 99% of all my playtime on Valp because I love it so much. I can only agree with you. Especially if you play with friends (Med/Assault/2xEng) its just laughable how easy the spots are to take. The only problem you can get is that you team is too weak to hold the defenders back...

Part 4/5 are a bit harder, but the first 3 parts are laughable easy to take.

Toby

So, been thinking about picking this up. Last time I played was the beta, though, and I had couple questions:
1. Have they pretty much fixed the lag in the game since the beta?
2. Have they fixed the long delay for quick match to connect you to a game?

Those were really my only concerns from the beta.

Pete Rock said:
The M95 cannot fire 700 RPM
The M60 does not have the bullet drop calculated across the same distance as a sniper round
We'll just have to agree to disagree on what is and is not relevant :lol

I guess but I'd rather the game be better balanced than focus on weapon's real life accuracy. If that were the case, everyone would use the M93R as their pistol.

Agree to disagree! :D

19Kilo said:
Finally grabbed this on the steam sale. Looking forward to getting my ass kicked :lol

Add me, some friends and I will be playing tonight:

Steam: anton_sugar
EA: Anton Sugar

desu said:
I am playing 99% of all my playtime on Valp because I love it so much. I can only agree with you. Especially if you play with friends (Med/Assault/2xEng) its just laughable how easy the spots are to take. The only problem you can get is that you team is too weak to hold the defenders back...
Part 4/5 are a bit harder, but the first 3 parts are laughable easy to take.

Oh man. Suicide hill is just fucking nuts. It's almost depressing with a bad team--you HAVE to have a good team to advance.

Spl1nter said:
Add me
Steam: Spl1nter3
BFBC2: Spl1nter

You playing tonight, BRAH?

Mr. Snrub said:
You'd think that, but it really doesn't matter. All it takes are 2-4 engineers out of the 16 person attacking team to take them out.

only takes 1 engineer if you're using both explosive perks and the M136, but i find it's easier to just Jihad ATV in and only use rockets when the crates are already low.

Best route is to take it through the middle, slightly right, so you actually launch over the hill, onto the roof of that building w/the .50 cal.

Always feel like a badass when I do that.

todahawk

NEOPARADIGM said:
^I use the Tritton 720 Pros:

Tritton-AX720.jpg

$149

Best thing about them is you can adjust game volume and chat volume independently. Plus they sound great, if maybe a little light on bass.

Haha, sweeet! I've been doing some research on headsets and was actually thinking of picking those up. BestBuy has the Tritton 720 for $130 right now.

todahawk

Mr. Snrub said:
Oh man. Suicide hill is just fucking nuts. It's almost depressing with a bad team--you HAVE to have a good team to advance.

I've got to get some maps and start writing down all these names! :lol

1stStrike

Banned
I'll probably get something like that eventually.

Oh, and I pre-ordered MoH. I figured, DICE is gonna get my money anyway, sucker that I am, so I might as well play the beta. It's off amazon, so even if I hate it (which I doubt I will) I'll at least get a nice break from BC2.

Mr. Snrub said:

Yeah it's a huge flaw in design. Unless you have a well coordinated team it's practically impossible to win against an attacking team unless the team goes on the attack and push them back. Now with all the tank sniping, Uav C4, Quad C4, and landmines the defending team have to prepare for all of those elements.

Just give us the ability to repair M-COMs slowly and lessen the damage C4 does to M-COMs by half and make Landmines do no damage. Almost everybody does damage to it now anyways. It's way too easy strapping 12 C4 on a UAV and dive bombing the M-COM.

By lessening the C4 damage to an M-COM it will gimp the attacking team that depends on such tactics drastically. 18 C4 (Uav squad operator and 3 squad mates with 6 C4) will probably not destroy an M-COM in one run. 12 C4s will do half damage.

todahawk

1stStrike said:
I'll probably get something like that eventually.

Oh, and I pre-ordered MoH. I figured, DICE is gonna get my money anyway, sucker that I am, so I might as well play the beta. It's off amazon, so even if I hate it (which I doubt I will) I'll at least get a nice break from BC2.

yeah, i was thining about pre-ordering MoH as well. Did you get your code yet? As much as i don't like them, i'll call GS if i have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom