• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT| See, Spot, Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynar

Pandoracell said:
I keep seeing this brought up, but I have yet to see it myself, and my playtime is probably 70/30 in favor of rush. Do the crates...have health?

yes, and they die really fast if you know what you're doing

Loxley

Yep, and DICE practically doubled the amount of "health" the MCOM stations have compared to the gold crates in BC1, I'm assuming because the gold crates could be taken out in about six RPG hits, many from a fair distance away (Acta Non Verba *cough*). Making them tougher definitely helped, I think.

Loxley said:
Yep, and DICE practically doubled the amount of "health" the MCOM stations have compared to the gold crates in BC1, I'm assuming because the gold crates could be taken out in about six RPG hits, many from a fair distance away (Acta Non Verba *cough*). Making them tougher definitely helped, I think.
8 RPG's in BC1. and if you use the M136 AT4 with the explosive damage boost spec in BC2, it also takes 8 shots. that combined with picking the double explosives spec means you get 8 shots.

and Acta Non Verba was a conquest map. maybe you meant Ascension? the 2nd base had both crates RPG-able.

todahawk

Pandoracell said:
I keep seeing this brought up, but I have yet to see it myself, and my playtime is probably 70/30 in favor of rush. Do the crates...have health?

No shit? Damn... I see it more often than not. If I do see a crate get armed it usually has been covered with C4 already. I had one match last week where the other team had one assault sneak in by the m-com, have a squadmate assault spawn on him and then load up the C4 and blow it fast. I had only one other friend playing and we'd patrol near the m-com but they were really organized and our team was out pushing toward their base.

greenjerk said:
No shit? Damn... I see it more often than not. If I do see a crate get armed it usually has been covered with C4 already. I had one match last week where the other team had one assault sneak in by the m-com, have a squadmate assault spawn on him and then load up the C4 and blow it fast. I had only one other friend playing and we'd patrol near the m-com but they were really organized and our team was out pushing toward their base.
i think the problem is defenders. some games i play, like Valparaiso for example, 10 people are up in the jungle on defense when the enemy has a damn helicopter that can easily fly by them and drop in on the 2 people left behind with 2 or 3 squads ready to spawn. if i see too many people pushing up, i just sit in the base looking at whichever crate i determined is easier to defend.

Pandoracell said:

To be fair, our team was, position wise, doing well in defense...even number at B and A. But they consistently just let these assault/engy guys slip right in, lay C4 or mines, run away, and blow it. OVER AND OVER.

Frustration on both accounts!

Az

Did the PS3 lag get fixed or atleast mentioned yet? Havent played several days now since I gave up until it's fixed.

Sanic

Woah, I didn't realize the crates could be attacked :lol. Looks like it's only a matter of time until I get to experience it, with the way you guys are talking :/

Doesn't seem the servers were reset yet like they should have been, as I just played a match on US servers and it was incredibly laggy.

todahawk

The Faceless Master said:
i think the problem is defenders. some games i play, like Valparaiso for example, 10 people are up in the jungle on defense when the enemy has a damn helicopter that can easily fly by them and drop in on the 2 people left behind with 2 or 3 squads ready to spawn. if i see too many people pushing up, i just sit in the base looking at whichever crate i determined is easier to defend.
Yep, that's pretty much what happened in my example, most of the team was forward trying to hit them in their spawn and they'd sneak a couple of guys in easy.

TheAzRim said:
Did the PS3 lag get fixed or atleast mentioned yet? Havent played several days now since I gave up until it's fixed.
Been a bit better for me but I haven't played a ton. Week nights were never horrible for me, the true test will be this weekend. If it's bad we need to try switching our profiles to UK, it's been working for east coasters with rubberbanding problems.

Yeah, it's really a mix of both. Me and my friends usually forgo the glory and stay back near the crates, because someone ALWAYS gets through.

Also, I've been playing around w/guns other than my norms...and I am pleasantly surprised with the XM8 C. Nice mean little SMG! I completely ignored it up until now.

Mr. Snrub said:
To be fair, our team was, position wise, doing well in defense...even number at B and A. But they consistently just let these assault/engy guys slip right in, lay C4 or mines, run away, and blow it. OVER AND OVER.

Frustration on both accounts!

The worst part are the tank mines. Even if you kill the dude before he detonates them, there is literally NOTHING that can be done to protect the crates. So you are forced to wait for the random grenade that will destroy your M-com.

Hellcrow

Dubbedinenglish said:
The worst part are the tank mines. Even if you kill the dude before he detonates them, there is literally NOTHING that can be done to protect the crates. So you are forced to wait for the random grenade that will destroy your M-com.

I think an engineer can disarm them with the magic drill.

1stStrike

Banned
Okay dudes, I have some good news. I've got a job! I haven't started yet, but I will soon.

It's kind of like, the best job ever. I'll be doing tech support (online) for a web hosting company. $13 an hour to start and... work from home. So, I can just wake up in the morning, roll over, turn on the laptop and bam... I'm at work.

America, fuck yea.

1stStrike said:
Okay dudes, I have some good news. I've got a job! I haven't started yet, but I will soon.

It's kind of like, the best job ever. I'll be doing tech support (online) for a web hosting company. $13 an hour to start and... work from home. So, I can just wake up in the morning, roll over, turn on the laptop and bam... I'm at work.

America, fuck yea.
I envy you :lol :lol Damn I need a job...:lol :lol :lol

1stStrike

Banned
It's thanks to me being a geek. If I didn't know as much as I did about web hosting/Linux/server hosting I'd probably be pushing carts at a grocery store for $8 an hour right now :p

Anyway, once I get my first pay check I'll be able to afford onslaught... woot. Though, I'm sure all of you jack asses will be like "Eh, I'm bored of it now." by then :(

AndyD

aka andydumi
Dubbedinenglish said:

I wish they could be disarmed. This is the one loophole in the game I feel. While C4 goes when you kill the planter, mines don't. And there is no way to clear them either. An engineer should be able to disarm/recover them. Not only that but you don't even get kill points for them after death.

I have seen a mini team of engineers run into the room and throw mines in a suicide mission. THey don't care if they die because the mines wont dissapear. And the defenders wont set them off because it will damage the crate. Then someone from outside calls in an air strike or tosses a grenade and that's that.

1stStrike

Banned
AndyD said:
I wish they could be disarmed. This is the one loophole in the game I feel. While C4 goes when you kill the planter, mines don't. And there is no way to clear them either. An engineer should be able to disarm/recover them. Not only that but you don't even get kill points for them after death.

I have seen a mini team of engineers run into the room and throw mines in a suicide mission. THey don't care if they die because the mines wont dissapear. And the defenders wont set them off because it will damage the crate. Then someone from outside calls in an air strike or tosses a grenade and that's that.

Indeed. I don't think we'll ever see it, though. I'm moving away from rush too. I like atacama desert now that the AA guns are buffed, and panama canal is always a blast.

Mr Sandman said:
Fixed, because I'm pretty sure they made it before the game came out. Unless I am imagining them leaking the map layout to it.
you're not imagining it, they released a map layout for it before the game released.

http://battlefield.wikia.com/wiki/File:Portvaldezconquest.jpg

also, there's a few seconds in one of the BC2 trailers where there's a jeep in the 3rd base section of Port Valdez and it's in Conquest mode, you can tell by the HUD elements.

todahawk

1stStrike said:

America, fuck yea.

Awesome, congrats!
Don't worry, I don't see myself stopping BC2 anytime soon and I love time attack type stuff. I played RE4 & RE5 Mercenaries forever.

I played the Valparisio map solo last night and actually beat it. It took a while (I'm sure I'm at the bottom of the leaderboard with that effort) but it's pretty fun.

----

Anyone know if the enemies and vehicles change positions each time you play?

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Well My first bit of optimism in a while!
I switched back from UK location to Canada in my ea profile. Then I applied latest patch and just had 2 silky smooth matches with no noticeable rubber banding or lag..

Felt Great! here's hoping it lasts! WOOT!

Olivero

Since updating I get dashboarded within 30 seconds of starting a match. I have the game installed to my HD. Anyone else with this problem?

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
The PS3 version is running smooth for the first time in a long damn time. I could cry. It's so beautiful.

edit: Apparently I joined a friend on the UK servers. The US ones are probably still shitty.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Played for a bit with some gaffers tonight... no lag.

Don't know what severs they were playing on but it was smooth. Game is fun when it isn't broken.

olimpia84

Had some awesome Conquest games tonight with fellow gaffers (NoStyle, striketh, Azrim, danthaman, renderman, evolved...) with ZERO LAG. I don't know what they did but I hope the servers stay like this forever, I can actually drive tanks for a change.

Evolved1

olimpia84 said:
Had some awesome Conquest games tonight with fellow gaffers (NoStyle, striketh, Azrim, danthaman, renderman, evolved...) with ZERO LAG. I don't know what they did but I hope the servers stay like this forever, I can actually drive tanks for a change.

Hey were we on east coast servers?

olimpia84

YagizY said:
My PS3 was stolen. Did not have BC2 saves backed up. Am I going to have to start from scratch unlocking things?

If you're referring to the online portion I think everything is stored in the EA servers so I think you're good.

recklessmind said:
Played for a bit with some gaffers tonight... no lag.

Don't know what severs they were playing on but it was smooth. Game is fun when it isn't broken.
yeah, i was playing on 360 and my shotgun was LETHAL again, even did 4 for 4 on a squad that had the misfortune of having their backs to my barrel.

Mr. Snrub said:
Yeah, it's really a mix of both. Me and my friends usually forgo the glory and stay back near the crates, because someone ALWAYS gets through.

Also, I've been playing around w/guns other than my norms...and I am pleasantly surprised with the XM8 C. Nice mean little SMG! I completely ignored it up until now.
yeah, i've been rotating guns and i like all the engineer guns and all

YagizY said:
My PS3 was stolen. Did not have BC2 saves backed up. Am I going to have to start from scratch unlocking things?
all your online stuff is saved server side, unlocks, dog tags, stats, etc...

1stStrike

Banned
YagizY said:

Dude, that fucking sucks :( how'd it happen?

Oh, and yea, we were on east coast servers... I started playing and then everyone joined on me. It was perfect. No lag. We just played conquest all night and ended up dominating the other team for pretty much all of it.

YagizY

1stStrike said:
Dude, that fucking sucks :( how'd it happen?

Oh, and yea, we were on east coast servers... I started playing and then everyone joined on me. It was perfect. No lag. We just played conquest all night and ended up dominating the other team for pretty much all of it.

Came home and the entertainment center was ransacked. No more 360, no more PS3. They stole a bunch of games for both systems and the shittiest part was I was excited they didn't take Red Dead, but then I realized that Red Dead was in the PS3. Considering that I'm a full-time unemployed student it looks like it will be a while till I play games again.

Also I just bought the 360 8 days ago. Today was a day filled with anger and sadness.

1stStrike

Banned
YagizY said:
Came home and the entertainment center was ransacked. No more 360, no more PS3. They stole a bunch of games for both systems and the shittiest part was I was excited they didn't take Red Dead, but then I realized that Red Dead was in the PS3. Considering that I'm a full-time unemployed student it looks like it will be a while till I play games again.

Also I just bought the 360 8 days ago. Today was a day filled with anger and sadness.

Fuck man, that really sucks :( If anyone ever stole my shit I'd fucking go bat shit crazy. I hope you're able to some how get a replacement. Or, better yet, find the guys that stole your shit and beat them with a crowbar.

Onslaught is fun, even with randoms... except when some random is playing on Atacama Desert and spawns at the A base trying to snipe enemies at the C base... dunno if it's worth $10 though...

This mode would be far more worth it if you actually gained xp, especially considering that this mode is actually playable - with no rubberbanding.

There's no good reason not to have xp in Onslaught - reduce the points if need be, but it would at least foster replayability just to gain unlocks. And its not like xp is "hard earned" when EA is selling the unlocks on the marketplace.

Binabik15

NullPointer said:
This mode would be far more worth it if you actually gained xp, especially considering that this mode is actually playable - with no rubberbanding.

There's no good reason not to have xp in Onslaught - reduce the points if need be, but it would at least foster replayability just to gain unlocks. And its not like xp is "hard earned" when EA is selling the unlocks on the marketplace.

No, no, no, you have to make getting xp difficult, otherwise the unlock packs don´t sell :lol

Only 3 m-coms left to be 100% done with SP, I could easily do that today, but my sister and her little baby are visiting. The game will have to wait while I make funny noises and probably get peed on again :lol

Too bad I´ll never get the Platinum because of the shitty lag.

Binabik15 said:
No, no, no, you have to make getting xp difficult, otherwise the unlock packs don´t sell :lol

Only 3 m-coms left to be 100% done with SP, I could easily do that today, but my sister and her little baby are visiting. The game will have to wait while I make funny noises and probably get peed on again :lol

Too bad I´ll never get the Platinum because of the shitty lag.
apparently the lag is gone. you should try it.

I don't really care about onslaught mode. Just give us new maps damnit. Stop recycling the same setting. It would be nice to have some new weapons as well or new skins that aren't just camo. How about some of the skins from MOH. I liked the gun models from MOH more. Especially since the m16 can be used with the eotech sight.

olimpia84

Onslaught is fun, even with randoms... except when some random is playing on Atacama Desert and spawns at the A base trying to snipe enemies at the C base... dunno if it's worth $10 though...

My thoughts exactly. It's a fun mode but $10 is a bit too much.

todahawk

olimpia84 said:

Oh man, that's what i get for going to bed early! :(

Evolved1

Wait.... Onslaught has choppers!?

If asked if I would pay $10 for a co-op mode where you kill waves of DICE's braindead AI enemy soldiers, I would say: "I wouldn't pay four cents".

If asked if I would pay $10 for an opportunity to finally practice flying choppers without penalty to my team, I would hang my head in shame and say: "I'd pay more."

There is definitely something wrong with me....

So I'm going to play MP a few more days and if the lag doesn't return I'll seriously consider picking up onslaught. Also, if the lag doesn't return, MoH is back on the radar.

todahawk

recklessmind said:
Wait.... Onslaught has choppers!?

If asked if I would pay $10 for a co-op mode where you kill waves of DICE's braindead AI enemy soldiers, I would say: "I wouldn't pay four cents".

If asked if I would pay $10 for an opportunity to finally practice flying choppers without penalty to my team, I would hang my head in shame and say: "I'd pay more."

There is definitely something wrong with me....

So I'm going to play MP a few more days and if the lag doesn't return I'll seriously consider picking up onslaught. Also, if the lag doesn't return, MoH is back on the radar.

You mean if the lag does return you're looking at MoH?

Seriously though, choppers? I gotta play tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom