• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT| See, Spot, Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
pixel monkey said:
Really? Eight and half hours? And I thought I took my time. It was no more than five for me on normal.

An excellent five, no doubt...but still only five.

I died quite a bit and took a couple breaks in between if that makes a difference.

And yes I did take my time :D. The environments are too good looking to rush through.

Beaulieu said:
God damnit the spotting "cooldown" or whatever it is the implemented over the demo fucking sucks. Its inconsistent as FUCK. Is it a cooldown ? Is it when ennemies are too far ? What the fuck is it ?

I hope it's a fuckin bug it's driving me crazy.

If it was to avoid exploit on PC at least leave it the way in was on console this is pissing me off way too much...

How could they fuck a feature up like this when it was perfectly fine in the demo ? ?

DIce said anything about that yet ?

Yea I absolutely hate what they did with spotting. It was fine in the demo =/.

Teknopathetic said:
The medic guns blow until you get to the M60. That thing is a beast. Can't wait to try the XM8 LMG.
You'll be disappointed. I know they've tweaked the weapons slightly since the PS3 beta, but everything after the M60 was downhill.

This game is fucking awesome. I feel like I was the only person impressed with BC1's single player, and so far this one's much better. The chaos of the firefights and destruction is just so satisfying. And the sound! And the graphics! It might not match the texture fidelity of other games, but the lighting and effects are just gorgeous. The opening jungle & snow levels are incredible looking. Awesome, awesome game. Looking forward to the multiplayer tonight!

Mindlog

Pankaks said:
Whew finally beat the campaign :lol. A couple rough spots here and there had me frustrated but, overall pretty damn good.

Yeah, I hope to do the same soon as well.

My Gold just recently lapsed. I thought I had an extra card laying around. I'll definitely be hitting some multiplayer this weekend!

Good games on the gaf server. Tek, you're a fucking beast man. :lol Need to play so more to understand the mechanics of this game. Kept losing 1v1 fights, even though I shot first. I'm thinking I need to just stand still and fire to increase my accuracy?

abuC said:
Yeah, and without mics it SUCKS big time, there's no communication on where the enemy is.

Lack of any chat functionality while dead(pc) is fucking lame. I can't even tell my team where the enemy is because I can't send them a text message. Good job DICE. -_-

Mrbob

Damn I didn't get a promo code for the limited edition stuff on the steam version I bought...hope EA fixes this soon. :/ Stupid DLC.

Prezhulio

wow they nerfed the spotting like crazzzzzy from the last time i played the demo. the cooldown/hitbox for it is really different now.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Prezhulio said:
wow they nerfed the spotting like crazzzzzy from the last time i played the demo. the cooldown/hitbox for it is really different now.

How does it work exactly now? Please elaborate.

Masta_Killah said:
Good games on the gaf server. Tek, you're a fucking beast man. :lol Need to play so more to understand the mechanics of this game. Kept losing 1v1 fights, even though I shot first. I'm thinking I need to just stand still and fire to increase my accuracy?

Yeah, having a GAF server is really fun, props to mbmonk for setting it up. Had a great first two hours of multi on there tonight. Did annoy me to have to re-unlock stuff though. I play pretty much medic all the time and I really felt useless my first match or two without even a medkit. And I'm still a half-hour or so away from my beloved defib paddles.

j-wood said:
Are there really only 3 game modes? Conquest, Rush, and SDM?

How many do you need in Battlefield? I doubt I'll ever even touch SDM. What they have is perfect.

And yeah, the spotting is really inconsistent now. VERY frustrating when you can CLEARLY see someone, but can't point them out for your squad, and he kills one of your partners.

Prezhulio

TTP said:
How does it work exactly now? Please elaborate.

demo=basically no cooldown, spam select/back while unloading and the recoil would hit them eventually and spot them (or this is how it would work well for me at least)

now, it feels like there's a good 2 seconds of cooldown between EACH press of the select button, whether you spotted someone or not, so i can't really hammer on it when someone is going to take me down unless that first button press is aimed dead on them... i definitely understand it needed to be changed, but now i can't spot worth a damn right now. oh well it'll take some practice.

God I haven't played a comp shooter in so long, but does anyone know if there's a way to tweak out the input lag? short of disabling vsync

I can't even count how many helicopters I've caught with a Tracer+ RPG combo on the huge desert map :lol So good to see the multiple kills pile up

ATF487

Masta_Killah said:

I barely hit the minimums, according to steam

2.1ghz Core2Duo T8100
Radeon 3650HD
4Gb DDR2 Ram

It'd run better on my 360 but I usually take the visual hit (in my case) to play on the PC

Man, the GAF server is fun. Good group of people to play with. Me and Solidsnackoo had some good rounds. Conquest only.

Teknopathetic is a monster with his M60. Son of a bitch.

And damn, the maps are gorgeous. Really can't get over how well designed most of them are...perfect setup, points aren't too far away, there's always action. Real impressed with all of them...except Panama Canal. Not feeling the setup on that one right yet.

fernoca

Oh! Ignored that the game includes/unlocks a Premium Theme (on Xbox 360 at least)...
It's 2MB, thought it was just a regular theme, but chose it..and it looks nice..seems it's only one background (sky with stars and helicopters flying)..and the friends section is with tanks and other vehicles.

ATF487 said:
I barely hit the minimums, according to steam

2.1ghz Core2Duo T8100
Radeon 3650HD
4Gb DDR2 Ram

It'd run better on my 360 but I usually take the visual hit (in my case) to play on the PC

Yea, not sure about those settings. I'm not fimiliar with the 3650, though it might be able to run it if you can oc the cpu. My specs are:

ati 1950 pro 512
c2d 2.2 oc @ 2.7
4 gigs of ram

After tweaking with the settings.ini, I can get the game to run at 60 fps at 1280x800 window-mode.

dLMN8R

Forgive me if these questions have been answered in the last 20 pages of this thread :lol

1) Has the required C4 to destroy points been increased since the PC beta?
2) Is there a cool-down on the medic revival?

Also,

IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT FOV SETTINGS

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1170381&highlight=field+view

The FOV setting in settings.ini is vertical instead of horizontal. That would be why 90-100 degree FOVs look so fish-eye compared to most games.

However, changing vertical FOV does proportionally change horizontal FOV. Go to this web site to figure out what you should use:

http://rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php

For example, to get a 100 degree FOV I want for my 1680x1050 setup, I set it to 74 in settings.ini.

Vard

Not a fan of the spotting cooldown. I was Selecting on an enemy tank like crazy and it wouldn't spot! Annoying.

Also where is my gadget for the Medic class?? It won't even let me add/edit my medic kit to include the Medkit I just unlocked. What gives?

cresto

FML I got RROD'd last tuesday and shipped it out on wednesday. UPS said it was delivered yesterday but the fucking xbox website says they are still waiting for it. WHAT THE FUCK!! I want to play this game already god fucking damn it! I already bought it via amazon. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR rage I DO!

dLMN8R said:
Forgive me if these questions have been answered in the last 20 pages of this thread :lol

1) Has the required C4 to destroy points been increased since the PC beta?
2) Is there a cool-down on the medic revival?

Also,

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1170381&highlight=field+view

The FOV setting in settings.ini is vertical instead of horizontal. That would be why 90-100 degree FOVs look so fish-eye compared to most games.

However, changing vertical FOV does proportionally change horizontal FOV. Go to this web site to figure out what you should use:

http://rjdown.co.uk/projects/bfbc2/fovcalculator.php

For example, to get a 100 degree FOV I want for my 1680x1050 setup, I set it to 74 in settings.ini.

Seriously, I didn't even notice. :lol Set mine to 90 and the image looked fine. I do get disoriented when on vehicles in 3rd person mode. I'll check out that link and see if I can set the fov properly.

I have to admit
I rather have the demo/beta back right now.

Not that I'm not having fun or anything, but
1)The higher bullet damage+spot cooldown+unchanged ease of sniping is now actually encouraging more people to camp.
2)The spotting cooldown pretty much kills the whole function of the UAV. Especially if you don't have alt fire on.

*sigh* I hope there will be tweaks coming.

logen9999

Banned
i'm getting a consistent high pitched beep when the game is running. in the menus its REALLY annoying but gets crowded out when playing the game due to all the other sound effects.

i tried messing with the games sound options but it's still there, even when i turn sounds all the way off.

could it be a problem on my end? i use a USB headset and my main windows volume is at about 75%

a few more bugs i'm experiencing. the mounted shielded heavy machine gun's window screen is blacked out for me. it looks like some sort of graphical transparency error that makes the little window on the gun black and impossible to see through.

Vard said:
Also where is my gadget for the Medic class?? It won't even let me add/edit my medic kit to include the Medkit I just unlocked. What gives?

Medkit is automatically added, and I'm guessing that the Defibs will be put in the actual gadget spot.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I haven't play past BF games that much so I'm now learning what spotting and dog tags are.

Now I want to get more melee kills! Ah the addiction!!!

Yeah, I took out a whole squad on a building rooftop and got all their dogtags. :) They were too focused on one of the objectives in Nelson Bay and I snuck around and stabbed 'em all.

Regarding FOVs and stuff

FOV Comparison - EA Forums

Basically this:

BC2_FOV.gif

I've settled on 75. Usually I prefer 80 to 85 on my 16:10 monitor, but it starts to have a fish-eye effect at 80. The default FOV being 55 is kinda crazy.

Vard

Net_Wrecker said:
Medkit is automatically added, and I'm guessing that the Defibs will be put in the actual gadget spot.
Ah, ok. Thanks. I think I stopped playing after I unlocked it and I must not have tried to use it after unlocking it.

One more dumb question, does it matter when you use your VIP code? Better to use it now or wait (it sounded like more bonuses like free maps are coming later in the month)?

Linkzg said:
I've settled on 75. Usually I prefer 80 to 85 on my 16:10 monitor, but it starts to have a fish-eye effect at 80. The default FOV being 55 is kinda crazy.

It's a vertical FOV, so it's not as bad as it sounds. A vertical FOV of 65 = a horizontal FOV of 90 at a 16:10 resolution.

"You'll be disappointed. I know they've tweaked the weapons slightly since the PS3 beta, but everything after the M60 was downhill."

Yeah, Besides the M3 (which is impractical, sounds amazing though), the M60 is definitely the only worthwhile Medic weapon.

GGs to the dudes on the GAF server.

Edit: Hey, I'm 139th on the leaderboards. No way is that going to last.

Pleasantly surprised at how well the game runs compared to the beta...For those of you with dual cores,

C2D E8400 stock (3.0 Ghtz)
4 gigs of RAM..

Settings-
1920x1080
HBAO off
Everything High
4xMSAA
16xAAF

30-50 FPS in 32 player conquest- doesn't go below 30 even in the most intense fire fights +explosions...The game runs buttery smooth in the campaign with the same settings. It's a rock solid 60+ FPS so far..

One thing I do notice though in compared to the beta, there's way more bobble especially when firing. I'm getting a bit of motion sickness from it. Hopefully I'll adjust.

Another thing that kinda bothers me is that sometimes the game will skip a frame or something and when I'm in a showdown with a guy. Does that happen to you guys?

And what's the ideal FOV btw? Is there a litmus test?

Played like 5 levels in the campaign, I felt like this is the best looking game on the 360 for now, or atleast the ones I have played in the last year or two...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A couple of things: Did I miss an intro cutscene? Why are they working for the army again? That's never explained.

Also, a few digs at Modern Warfare 2:
Snowmobiles are for sissies and Special Force sissies with heartbeat sensors
. Cute, considering last time their ad campaign went after Gears and Rainbow Six Vegas.

KuroNeeko

Hey guys,

Never really played any of the BF series except for 1943 on XBL
and Battlefield Heroes
. If I liked that game is there a decent chance I'll like this one?

Does it play well on the 360?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom