• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT| See, Spot, Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Only took me 15 minutes to find a game that had my unlocks, didn't kick me, wasn't lagging out, or just seemed to time out at Please Wait. Weapon damage still feels a little low, not sure if they ever did up it, and it's fucking ridiculous that you can shoot someone 4-5 times at close range and they can just knife you from a few feet away.

Spotting is also broken and half the time won't even recognise something you're aiming at.

Beaulieu said:
Limited edition is the only edition. Regular edition doesnt exist yet.

ohh ic, thats why when i walked into the store and asked for BC2 they gave me the LtdEd with the pre-order bonus. Does that mean there is only one version of the game? no regular/collectors edition? that's fucked

sk3tch

Fix coming on the server-side for PC:

http://twitter.com/OfficialBFBC2/status/9932171381

BFBC2 PC Servers (Clients won't need a patch) are being updated to resolve game client<->game server connectivity issues.

maxcer0081 said:
ohh ic, thats why when i walked into the store and asked for BC2 they gave me the LtdEd with the pre-order bonus. Does that mean there is only one version of the game? no regular/collectors edition? that's fucked

The game is only "limited" in the sense of time. This "Limited Edition" purely exists to spur new, day 1/month 1 sales and fight against used sales.

maxcer0081 said:

Regular edition will be out after the first batch of prints are sold out (similar to that of Blazblue). It's just a way of thanking the Day One buyers (and somewhat a way of punishing those who buy it used Day Two since the code can only be used once).

Az

shagg_187 said:
Except it has nothing to do with cooldown and it does not suck being spotted 24/7. It has to do with the fact that it fails to register half of the time.

I believe it's there on purpose. Spotting is fine and all but always knowing where everyone is kind of takes away the suspense. Like I said before I am thinking that it's a cap, of for example, 3-4 players that can be spotted at the same time instead of a whole team. Makes you choose your 'spots'.

Whats in the store to even download just trailers? When I entered my VIP code it said the maps were already available for me to use. I thought I was suppose to download these. Im confused.

Beaulieu

Violater said:
See , Spot, Spot Spot?..... argggg WTF :lol

They need to fix it.

People in here saying they are fine with the change are probably those same anoying fuck who never spotted anything in the beta.

This isnt a cooldown, its broken. I arrive in a game, spawn, theres a tank in front of me, I cannot spot it. It's not a "cooldown nerf" or whatever, it's just broken.

Beaulieu

TheAzRim said:
I believe it's there on purpose. Spotting is fine and all but always knowing where everyone is kind of takes away the suspense. Like I said before I am thinking that it's a cap, of for example, 3-4 players that can be spotted at the same time instead of a whole team. Makes you choose your 'spots'.

nope. Just broken

Also in the demo, if you were hidden an no one could see you, you were automaticly "unspotted"

Chaos

the_prime_mover said:
Anyone else having problems with the PC version? My game crashes as soon as it launches. i got it from Steam and am loath to redownload it. I have updated dx and punkbuster and my video card drivers are up to date.

I am running a x4 965, a Sapphire 5850 with 4gigs of DDR3. Everything else on my computer runs great, but I can't even get as far as the opening ads in this game. I can't seem to find anything else online either.

Tried verifying game cache ?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

ShOcKwAvE

Can someone explain soldier names to me? How do I delete ones that I've created? Where can I lookup existing names to see what's still available?

Outtrigger888 said:
Whats in the store to even download just trailers? When I entered my VIP code it said the maps were already available for me to use. I thought I was suppose to download these. Im confused.

they are on the disc, you just needed the code to unlock them

Beaulieu said:
They need to fix it.

People in here saying they are fine with the change are probably those same anoying fuck who never spotted anything in the beta.

This isnt a cooldown, its broken. I arrive in a game, spawn, theres a tank in front of me, I cannot spot it. It's not a "cooldown nerf" or whatever, it's just broken.

Thank you. Cooldown is more of a "thank you for spotting... now you can't spot him for another 10 seconds after his cursor disappears". This is more of a "Heads, you're screwed. Tails, spot on!"

I love spotting as it is an essential part of the game, so much so that if I see someone a bit far ahead, I will spot before I approach and shoot. I get frustrated when spotting doesn't work. Also, spotting is SHIT important in the night map that'll be up any time soon!

Outtrigger888 said:

Just unlocks them, I believe.

shagg_187 said:
Unlike beta, it fails to register half of the time. I came THIS close breaking the damn select button...

There is a cooldown...so you press it...it cools down. Any time you press it in that time, it doesn't register.

There was a changelog released after the PS3 beta, saying this specifically, because people were spamming select.

Jinaar said:
Spotting seems to be completely borked. In the DEMO I could just spam it and highlight the map with targets.

Why do people think this is a good thing?

Violater

Beaulieu said:
They need to fix it.

Something is not right for sure, but I def don't want it to go back to the way it was in the beta.

Beaulieu said:
They need to fix it.

:lol :lol :lol GTFO

There may be a few bugs with it, but for the most part, I've had no trouble spotting.

Binabik15

Are we going to BC2-ify our avatars? If GTA4 can have GAF hype, this hould have as well.

My troll could use a helmet with those cool glasses (but with his eyes visible) and a repair tool, engineer gun or RPG7 or something like that. But I don´t have photoshop.

mbmonk

Mr. Snrub said:
Think it would be a jolly good time. I was having a bit of lag last night too--had some epic "Oh shit I just knifed this guy oh shit now he's trying to knife me oh shit now I'm trying to knife him again oh shit we just knifed and killed each other" battles.
:lol

Salacious Crumb

Having you be able to just spam the spot button and expose the entirety of the other team is more broken than not being able to spot a tank in front of you which I'm sure most of your team would be aware of anyway.

Beaulieu

Mr. Snrub said:
:lol :lol :lol GTFO

There may be a few bugs with it, but for the most part, I've had no trouble spotting.

What version are you playing ?

I played for 5 hours yesterday night, 95% of my spotting didnt register, and it has nothing to do with a cooldown since I couldnt spot right from the start.

The feature is bugged and inconsistent, and in the demo it was perfectly fine and coherent.

Binabik15 said:
Are we going to BC2-ify our avatars? If GTA4 can have GAF hype, this hould have as well.

I would...I lost an avatar bet. Stuck for weeks.

crimsonheadGCN said:
Is the store available in the PC version and where would it be in the list of options?

I haven't been able to find it.

Doomslayer said:
Having you be able to just spam the spot button and expose the entirety of the other team is more broken than not being able to spot a tank in front of you which I'm sure most of your team would be aware of anyway.

Exactly! Thank you!

Beaulieu

Doomslayer said:

except it was never like that tought...
You guys are arguing that a broken and inconsisten feature is better than a functionning one ?
God I hope you dont want to become game designers...

Beaulieu said:
What version are you playing ?

I played for 5 hours yesterday night, 95% of my spotting didnt register, and it has nothing to do with a cooldown since I couldnt spot right from the start.

The feature is bugged and inconsistent, and in the demo it was perfectly fine and coherent.

I played for hours yesterday too and only had a few moments here and there where I couldn't spot...but the same thing happened in the PC beta. I got a spot assist pin on almost every round last night.

Beaulieu

Mr. Snrub said:
I played for hours yesterday too and only had a few moments here and there where I couldn't spot...but the same thing happened in the PC beta. I got a spot assist pin on almost every round last night.

Maybe the problem isnt present on PC then, but on 360, it's just not working.

Sweet, workaround on fixing the kicking issue: http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/battlefield-bad-company-2-pc/925089-kick-connect.html

Uninstall the BC2 BETA
Look in MY Documents for BC2 BETA directory. If it exists delete it.
Look where BC2 BETA was installed, if the BC2 BETA directory remains, delete it.
Try running the game again.

For all the players connecting to servers and being kicked straight away (and pbsetup.exe or manual updating didn't help) then you will be happy to know we are sending out R4 servers to our hosting providers which will hopefully solve this issue.

This is going out to the hosts shortly and then allowing time for them to update you should see connections going back to normal in the next few hours and continuing to spread to all servers during this evening.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I think what is going on with the spotting system is that there is a team wide cooldown. Whenever I can spot like 3 things in a row, it feels like no one else is spotting. If there already are some marked targets, I can't spot until some of them time out.

Overall, I like it a lot more than just spamming spot on everything like in the demo.

What they do need is some sort of indicator on the HUD showing that your team has spots available. Better yet, the exact number of spots you have available.

Beaulieu said:
except it was never like that tought...

Yep. At times, I was having a hard time spotting a guy few meters away from me than spotting the entire platoon miles away. Hell, other times I couldn't even spot a fucking tank blazing towards me.

Here's how I play: Spot, Dart tag (if necessary), Shoot. If the game was about camping and sniper, I would be playing Call of Duty.

FlyinJ said:
I think what is going on with the spotting system is that there is a team wide cooldown. Whenever I can spot like 3 things in a row, it feels like no one else is spotting. If there already are some marked targets, I can't spot until some of them time out.

Overall, I like it a lot more than just spamming spot on everything like in the demo.

What they do need is some sort of indicator on the HUD showing that your team has spots available. Better yet, the exact number of spots you have available.

Except no one in my fucking team was spotting except me. I'll just play some more to see what exactly the problem is with spotting. Can't play today... :(

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
MidnightRider said:
Recon will take 34,000XP to obtain all unlocks.
Medic will take 57,000XP to obtain all unlocks.
Assault will take 47,000XP to obtain all unlocks.
Vehicle will take 10,000XP to obtain all unlocks.
Engineer will take 43,000XP to obtain all unlocks.

when i played the beta i enjoyed the long time it took to unlock the best sniper. with this info above, it looks like in that amount of time we took to unlock the sniper, we can now unlock everything practically. they better make it more difficult

That it does. I have no idea how many times ive spotted tanks/people/helis and nothing happens.

Yea EA and DICE are making it more difficult by resetting your stats and making you start over.

Thanks for the post on the unlock values though I'll be saving that info.

Mr. Snrub said:
same here, it might be broken as some are saying but im cool with the balance it brings.

Aesius

Spotting in the UAV seemed weird last night (360 version)

Granted, I've only flown it a couple of times, but I'd spot people and then they'd go invisible again after 3 seconds. I was still looking directly at them too. Any reason for this?

DietRob

Binabik15 said:

If someone could find a way to hook up my Harvey Birdman battlefield style I would. Anybody want to try it can be any Harvey pic it just has to be a Harvey avatar.

Please someone hook a Birdman up.

Beaulieu

shagg_187 said:
Yep. At times, I was having a hard time spotting a guy few meters away from me than spotting the entire platoon miles away. Hell, other times I couldn't even spot a fucking tank blazing towards me.

Here's how I play: Spot, Dart tag (if necessary), Shoot. If the game was about camping and sniper, I would be playing Call of Duty.

Exactly, I agree with you and Im also playing engineer so it's extremely frustrating when you cannot spot a tank.

If you want to play a hide and seek game, this isnt the game you are looking for god dam.

If it's really a team-wide spot counter, this is the most ridiculous system Ive ever heard of. What are we are supposed to decide if spotting that guy or that one is worth it ?

Spotting is good to counter the absence of team-wide chat, and they just fucked it up in the main release when they had it right on the demo.

I hope they fix the issue on 360, as it seems to be working OK on PC (according to the folks here)

Cruzader

Banned
So yea, I preordered and input the VIP code and got...nothing? I thought I was supposed to get all the soldier's class' special ability such as that defibrillator thing. I have to unlock all those things!? wtf so confused.

Good game though. Not touching SP for a while. MP is where its at.

WolfSkill

Neo Member
Pankaks said:
I died quite a bit and took a couple breaks in between if that makes a difference.

And yes I did take my time :D. The environments are too good looking to rush through.

Yea I absolutely hate what they did with spotting. It was fine in the demo =/.

I did like the way spotting worked in the demo, but it was very overpowering tho, but I wish they didn't make the cooldown this long in the retail version.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Binabik15 said:

Ehhhh, that's kinda something to do before the game comes out.

Even if you spam the spot button without actually spotting anyone, you still have to wait out the cooldown.

it's not broken, you're just not using it properly.

Yeah, I have not noticed a team-wide cooldown, but I really haven't been paying attention. I've been playing the PC version and spotting has worked every time I use it... Hell, I re-spot guys just to make sure they stay spotted, haha. Maybe I shouldn't if there's actually a cooldown for everyone else.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Beaulieu said:
Exactly, I agree with you and Im also playing engineer so it's extremely frustrating when you cannot spot a tank.

If you want to play a hide and seek game, this isnt the game you are looking for god dam.

If it's really a team-wide spot counter, this is the most ridiculous system Ive ever heard of. What are we are supposed to decide if spotting that guy or that one is worth it ?

Spotting is good to counter the absence of team-wide chat, and they just fucked it up in the main release when they had it right on the demo.

I hope they fix the issue on 360, as it seems to be working OK on PC (according to the folks here)
You're really angry about this, aren't you?

Beaulieu

MrCompletely said:
spotting IS NOT broken.

Fact

There is a spotting timer with a cooldown

Fact

Players who are spotted and then unspotted are immune to spotting for a short amount of time. Different environmental elements will have different effects on the time of spotting immunity.

just check out these patch notes to the BFBC2 Beta which makes references to both of these things.

What you wrote in that post and the reality of that change log isnt the same... but now I see that a few things are fucking stupid.

Lowered the duration of spotted targets. Aiming at a close target will refresh the spot timer automatically.

Ok that I'm fine with

Lowered the effectiveness of the Sniper's Spotting Scope, targets must be tracked longer before spotting.

Ok im also fine with this

Fixed so the player can properly spot from the UAV.

Yeah that would be good, but ITS NOT WORKING. In the Demo I was spotting with the UAV no problem, but in the full game the UAV is fuckin useless, cant spot shit.

Added an overheat to spotting to prevent spot and order spamming.

The main problem is how does this "overheat" works. Details would be good.

Spotting now requires the player be aiming significantly closer to the target.

That fuckin sucks and it may be why it's now impossible to spot from a UAV, and why we cannot spot tanks down the road.

I hope Dice patches this shit up asap, it's unplayable right now (on 360).
I know they made some changes in BC1, after a few months, so at least there's hope they will patch the game.

REV 09

Spotting is so inconsistent that it's better just to shoot the enemy yourself now. I used to spot before firing just in case, but it's not worth the hassle now. Really needs to be fixed imo.

Flib

Loved the game last night where I joined a server, spawned in, was shot by a sniper within one second of said spawning and immediately kicked from the game by the administrator.

When it works, the game is amazing, but it stinks getting on servers without team balancing or servers where people are playing like it's MW2. Also, the wonky PC connections are tiring.

All of this should work itself out.

Beaulieu

MrCompletely said:
Even if you spam the spot button without actually spotting anyone, you still have to wait out the cooldown.

it's not broken, you're just not using it properly.

Yeah so I got in a game, spawned in front of a fucking tank, pressed "back", and it didnt spot.

I must be using it the wrong way huh ? :lol

Again : seems to be a console problem only, so unless youre playing on the 360, dont comment on that problem.

and yes Im really pissed off at this since im playing mainly engineer and UAV, this is ridiculous.

REV 09 said:
Spotting is so inconsistent that it's better just to shoot the enemy yourself now. I used to spot before firing just in case, but it's not worth the hassle now. Really needs to be fixed imo.

exactly.

DietRob

REV 09 said:

You hear that Bish?? Time for another title change.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
If there is some sort of grace period on a target if it's been spotted then unspotted, there needs to be feedback. Some sort of indicator on the HUD showing that the target is currently unspottable.

At least then it wouldn't just seem buggy.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Beaulieu said:
I hope Dice patches this shit up asap, it's unplayable right now (on 360).
I know they made some changes in BC1, after a few months, so at least there's hope they will patch the game.

Really? Unplayable? Really?

I don't agree with that at all. I am having a blast with the game even though spotting isn't working as I thought it would. "Unplayable" goes beyond hyperbole in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom