• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT| See, Spot, Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric WK

dskillzhtown said:
Really? Unplayable? Really?

I don't agree with that at all. I am having a blast with the game even though spotting isn't working as I thought it would. "Unplayable" goes beyond hyperbole in this case.

Completely separate from what you were replying to, but considering I can't get into a game right now, it's the very definition of unplayable for me.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
dskillzhtown said:

I don't agree with that at all. I am having a blast with the game even though spotting isn't working as I thought it would. "Unplayable" goes beyond hyperbole in this case.

Agreed. The game is hardly "unplayable" but the spotting is a nuisance.

Beaulieu

dskillzhtown said:

yeah maybe I went a little overboard with that :D

Still pisses me off to no end, it took everyone so long in the demo to start spotting, now everyone will stop completely.

I also agree that a change of thread title is in order.

Flek

Banned
no wartapes audio setting on consoles !? :( :(

Also played 4-5 h on ps3 today and never hat a lag or anything, only a sound bug twice…

Anway once thing i noticed >> why arent there more maps with helicopters etc.? Kinda sucks in the 5h ive played i only played 1 round on a map with helis … why is this?

I admit the demo spotting was a bit easy. Spam select, spot my sniper rifle slighlty above the orange triangle, pull trigger...headshot. I consider myself a good recon, constantly spotting, throwing my motion sensor where needed. Rushing tanks with C4. I get more kills with my pistol than my rifle. If your gonna recon, its your job to communicate to your squad/team with all tools available. A good Recon is like taking on a leadership role, you need to direct people where togo. If you want to kill, you need to pick the assult or medic and play those roles. Assult is on the frontline, medics are slightly behind supplying suppression fire and moving up to revive. Engineers stick to your tanks and pick off the scraps they don't get. Engineers should be a tanks recon. Right now its so early, I expect people to learn and the experience will get better.....I hope.

Mrbob

Hoping my LE code shows up in Steam soon, otherwise I'll have to send out a ticket.

I played the campaign last night and am having fun. Interesting first mission, caught me by surprise!

Most games are rocky online the first week, so I'm not too worried about the issues right now.

Az

Beaulieu, I have hardly ever seen someone get worked up over such a small thing since I started reading GAF, and GAF likes to exaggerate. I feel sorry for you if the game is unplayable for you due to being unable to spot a huge, loud-ass tank.

edit: Saw your new post. Yea a bit overboard :D

edit 2: new title "Battlefield Bad Company 2 : Official Thread of See, (maybe) Spot, Run

GG's last night on the GAF server. God I suck. Still for using a trackball mouse it wasn't that bad lol. Getting a proper setup for my logitech g5 is now a priority.

The game looked SOOOOOOO good though. Everything on high w/ 4xAA 8xAF HBAO on @ 1080p through my 5850 to onkyo receiver and 54inch plasma. :D

Binabik15

Flek said:
Anway once thing i noticed >> why arent there more maps with helicopters etc.? Kinda sucks in the 5h ive played i only played 1 round on a map with helis … why is this?

Can you influence map rotation on consoles. Let´s say I want to play one map non-stop, can I do it?

Anybody willing to sex my avatar up with BC2 stuff?

Nabs

Mrbob said:
Hoping my LE code shows up in Steam soon, otherwise I'll have to send out a ticket.

having the same problem. it seems people who didn't pre-order are having this issue.

Loxley said:
I haven't finished the story yet (I like it so far) but I really don't like what they've done with Haggard's character. It's as if some event we never saw completely changed who he was.

In the first Bad Company, he was a complete whack-job, but in a funny way. He'd constantly crack jokes and have whitty banter with Sweetwater. Now he's just an asshole and appears to hate everyone. Weird.
Losing the gold is probably what changed him

Flek

Banned
Binabik15 said:
Can you influence map rotation on consoles. Let´s say I want to play one map non-stop, can I do it?

no i dont think so … you can chose one to start but it will rotate

Coin Return said:
It's there, I think it's the option furthest to the right.

awesome thx … have to look again :)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Binabik15 said:

Anybody know if you can in private matches?

RbBrdMan said:
I used it on PS3. Twas glorious.

I didn't like it. It made certain things too bass-ie. I enjoy the crack of shooting a gun you get with hi-fi. Home Cinema is a nice mix for me--just enough bass to get some of the more glorious aspects of War Tapes. The boost to environmental effects like birds and wind is amazing on War Tapes, but it makes the effects for walking through water and running sound absurd. I just got done with Bioshock 2 which had a mix that was just too loud when you get the voice work at the correct levels. It wears you out.

Cruzader

Banned
Class_A_Ninja said:
I didn't like it. It made certain things too bass-ie. I enjoy the crack of shooting a gun you get with hi-fi. Home Cinema is a nice mix for me--just enough bass to get some of the more glorious aspects of War Tapes. The boost to environmental effects like birds and wind is amazing on War Tapes, but it makes the effects for walking through water and running sound absurd. I just got done with Bioshock 2 which had a mix that was just too loud when you get the voice work at the correct levels. It wears you out.

Whats the best audio mode with Sennheiser555+JVC DD Headphone thing?? Anyone know? I have it on War Tapes but not sure thats meant for my setup.

Flek said:
I'm not a big fan of being able to spawn on any squadmate, one of the reasons being that people tend to ignore the vehicles at the base because they'd rather just get right to the frontline. I've played numerous rounds without seeing one in the air despite them being available.

Then again I usually avoid them because I'm no good at it, so I guess I'm part of the problem.

mjc

It's such a pain in the ass to get friends into games if you have 4+ looking to play. I can't believe they didn't implement a way for you to play with people unless you do private matches. Fix it please, DICE. Everything else is cool.

Naeblish

I'm kinda torn on the spotting argument. On one hand i loved it in the demo, you feel like your contributing to your team and sometimes even get some points for it, awesome.

On the other hand, you know those fights where the enemy sees you 0.5 sec before you see him, you both fire and you swear you have him but he still kills you, and you sit there frustrated wanting to throw your controller/keyboard at the wall because he walks away with 80% health. Yeah i think a lot of those frustrating fights exist because people spotted you.

BravoSuperStar said:
GG's last night on the GAF server. God I suck. Still for using a trackball mouse it wasn't that bad lol. Getting a proper setup for my logitech g5 is now a priority.

The game looked SOOOOOOO good though. Everything on high w/ 4xAA 8xAF HBAO on @ 1080p through my 5850 to onkyo receiver and 54inch plasma. :D

Were you playing last night? I don't think I have you in my BC2 friends list...

The performance really is impressive, though I'm only at 720 P. Rock solid 60 fps, I'm trying to figure out how to increase the visual quality even more, but HBAO really doesn't even seem noticeable, all my options are on high, AF/AA maxed, DX11 on, bloom off because it's ugly. Probably gonna try to up the res, hope the text is still readable on my plasma.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So spotting is harder? I like that.

Also, in my opinion, the contrast setting is crucial in this game.

The game already has insanely rich colors, but with contrast that's too high, plus bloom, it was unbearable for me. Even after I disabled bloom, the contrast was kinda nuts and affecting my target acquisition. Turned it down and it really helped, might turn bloom back on to see how it looks with reduced contrast.

Was happy to see that turning bloom off doesn't affect HDR.

Jesus Christ I will get to play this eventually!
5 hours to download, 20mins to install and now im updating.. ah pc gaming how ive missed you :lol

Don't laugh so much at the guy who said it was unplayable. On 360, there are a lot of issues. Not nearly as bad as most games on launch, like MW2, don't get me wrong; but there's problems, some of them I don't think they can fix because it's part of the style of the game.

It's too easy to overrun in the game; unless you're playing with a specific squad every single time, getting into a game and doing well is rare; I played all day yesterday and got very frustrated several times in games because of many small things, including spawns. Conquest especially, I swear I spawned in front of a tank at least 4 times, when my other teammates were all dead. Some of the maps don't really make sense to me, there's so many people running around different areas it's impossible to get anywhere unless all of your team is talking constantly and communicating, and have a certain area locked down, otherwise it's basically a free for all.

I also notice that like MW2, there's lag when I die. When I get shot, I quickly turn and run around a building, and the game pulls me back around and kills me in a spot 3 feet away. I don't know what really contributes to this, but it's annoying. I'm sure a lot of this plus other things that bother me will wane as the game gets older, hopefully.

I never do bad myself, my aim is good and I try to be smart, but a lot of times you can't help but die over and over again when you literally spawn, and there's a guy in your own base, camping behind a box. It gets so annoying sometimes I just quit, because everybody was out for themselves, and unfortunately nobody I know has the game or plays enough to be in a squad all the time.

It's also difficult for me (on a 52'' LCD) to see people in the wooded areas. It's so thick and the contrast so stark, I get killed long before I ever see them, and there's nothing I can really do if that's the place where I have to go.

Mr. Snrub said:
Were you playing last night? I don't think I have you in my BC2 friends list...

The performance really is impressive, though I'm only at 720 P. Rock solid 60 fps, I'm trying to figure out how to increase the visual quality even more, but HBAO really doesn't even seem noticeable, all my options are on high, AF/AA maxed, DX11 on, bloom off because it's ugly. Probably gonna try to up the res, hope the text is still readable on my plasma.

Yeah I jumped on around midnight mtn standard time and played a few rounds. I agree about the bloom, I really need to turn that off. Especially noticeable when I was trying to drive a tank. Text is readable for me @ 1080p sitting about 6ft away from the TV. I didn't have fraps on, but in the beta I was getting 45-60+fps with same settings.

I'll start sending out friend requests tonight, last night was just a quick little session to check performance. I had to work till 10pm, then be at work at 10am today. =(

Wthermans

Banned
Beaulieu said:
They need to fix it.

People in here saying they are fine with the change are probably those same anoying fuck who never spotted anything in the beta.

This isnt a cooldown, its broken. I arrive in a game, spawn, theres a tank in front of me, I cannot spot it. It's not a "cooldown nerf" or whatever, it's just broken.
I really don't have this problem and I spot all the time. I only spot from the hip when it's a vehicle up close. Otherwise, I'll always ADS first since you have to be right on your target. Are you playing on console or PC?

vixlar

I'm a big fan of demo, and I like spotting. I don't own the game yet (sad) but about what I read about spotting gives me ambiguous feelings.

For one side, altohugh I love multispotting, I think it was too easy. I think the cooldown and the distance nerfs are good. But I think the cooldown must activate only if you succesfully spotted someone.

Spotting is fine in my opinion. If you want it like it was back in the beta, why not just have everyone appear on the radar to begin with? The cooldown system needs to be explained better, but other than that I don't have a problem with it. I was spotting and getting assists with no problem last night.

Aesius

Devil Theory said:
Don't laugh so much at the guy who said it was unplayable. On 360, there are a lot of issues. Not nearly as bad as most games on launch, like MW2, don't get me wrong; but there's problems, some of them I don't think they can fix because it's part of the style of the game.

It's too easy to overrun in the game; unless you're playing with a specific squad every single time, getting into a game and doing well is rare; I played all day yesterday and got very frustrated several times in games because of many small things, including spawns. Conquest especially, I swear I spawned in front of a tank at least 4 times, when my other teammates were all dead. Some of the maps don't really make sense to me, there's so many people running around different areas it's impossible to get anywhere unless all of your team is talking constantly and communicating, and have a certain area locked down, otherwise it's basically a free for all.

I also notice that like MW2, there's lag when I die. When I get shot, I quickly turn and run around a building, and the game pulls me back around and kills me in a spot 3 feet away. I don't know what really contributes to this, but it's annoying. I'm sure a lot of this plus other things that bother me will wane as the game gets older, hopefully.

I never do bad myself, my aim is good and I try to be smart, but a lot of times you can't help but die over and over again when you literally spawn, and there's a guy in your own base, camping behind a box. It gets so annoying sometimes I just quit, because everybody was out for themselves, and unfortunately nobody I know has the game or plays enough to be in a squad all the time.

It's also difficult for me (on a 52'' LCD) to see people in the wooded areas. It's so thick and the contrast so stark, I get killed long before I ever see them, and there's nothing I can really do if that's the place where I have to go.

Those just sound like issues with the gameplay and design itself.

I've been having more luck by keeping an eye on the map when I die and carefully choosing where to spawn. Spawning on your squad isn't always a good idea. Also, don't sprint continuously. That's a hard habit for me to break but it does help you get the drop on people near flags. An enemy running is more easily spotted against the backdrop of buildings/foliage than a guy walking. And finally, stick to the outskirts of the map and work your way inside. You can pick off a lot of the guys sniping from the trees that way.

Tworak

WuselDusel said:
Available: 5 March 2010
This game will unlock in approximately 1 day and 6 hours
!!!

the game doesn't show up on the steam store for me any longer so I still believe in the 4 hour thing! :lol

Raide

The Spot Spamming was one of the things that annoyed me in the Demo, so I am glad it now has a Cooldown. They might need to tweak it a little more but I am glad you cannot spam.

Those playing Hardcore, does spotting work in exactly the same way?

I didn't know you can change the FOV already. I thought it was going to be patched in later. Awesome game is even more awesome. Funny how they went from "nope, you can't change it" to "ok, you can".

BravoSuperStar said:
Yeah I jumped on around midnight mtn standard time and played a few rounds. I agree about the bloom, I really need to turn that off. Especially noticeable when I was trying to drive a tank. Text is readable for me @ 1080p sitting about 6ft away from the TV. I didn't have fraps on, but in the beta I was getting 45-60+fps with same settings.

I'll start sending out friend requests tonight, last night was just a quick little session to check performance. I had to work till 10pm, then be at work at 10am today. =(

Ah, I left shortly after midnight CST. Had some great games, even though my team was consistently losing the last few rounds.

Add me: Anton Sugar

For non-Steam users, possibly disconnect workaround: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/422088.page

Now this may only work for vista users:

Make sure you create a shortcut on your desktop for the "Battlefield Bad Company 2 Updater" on your desktop. Then right click it and click "run as administrator". This should fix it for you!

I was having the same problems as all of you and then I did this and TADA!!! It WORKS!! and the pings show as well!

Enjoy the game!

This has fixed it for some people in that thread.

EDIT: Possibly related: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/422873.page

I just went to my BFBC2 install folder and ran the updater. It said that my current version was 515195 and the latest version was 519874.

I went ahead and updated to the latest version, ran BFBC2 and guess what? NOW I HAVE A TON OF SERVERS TO PLAY IN!!!!

Capture.JPG

Raide said:
Those playing Hardcore, does spotting work in exactly the same way?

Spotting is off in HC, I think.

surefire1982 said:
Has anyone else tried the "War Tapes" audio setting? It seems to just add a ton more "oomph" to the sound!

This is the definitive way to play B: BC2. I turned it on last night in the Audio Settings and it literally had me taking cover and jumping behind my couch. It makes for some of the best directional sound I have heard in a console shooter. I enjoy the sound design better than Warhawk which was one of my personal favorite titles for sound design, especially for a shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom