• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Razor210 said:
You will see 5 people repairing one tank.

Tank sniping. Love it.

Just means your team needs five rockets to hit them incomparison to the 5 tank repairs.

More rockets = more damage than they can heal + cooldown.

It's an interesting idea, but I'd go a step further and make tanks not able to destroy the crates.

Nirolak said:
Once your tank went down, this seems like it would get quite difficult.

Or you wait until the tank spawns. Use it as a diversion, have the rest of your team go in. Arm the crate and hold out.

Which you can do right now, with the exception of DURR HURR C4/AT MINE/ROCKET/TANKS ARE FASTER N00B.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I still personally believe allowing engineers to repair M-COMs is the right way to go.

Either that or increase M-COM health 4x.

just make C4 attached to ground vehicles do 1/2 damage and C4 attached to aerial vehicles do 1/4 damage, the rest of the stuff is fine. oh, and give the engineer's drill the ability to defuse AT Mines.

TheSeks

Pankaks said:
Either that or increase M-COM health 4x.

<D 2.0> would still kill them. 6 C4 in a house = done.

However, it would prevent C4/AT mines for a few minutes.

The way I see it: C4 on crate = damage (they got in, they deserve to harm the crate). AT Mines = no damage to crate (it's bullshit and stupid and you can't do anything about them once placed except harm the crate your defending to get them away)

C4 on UAV = no damage to crate (and the console blows up, so assholes will finally get a freaking hint to play fair).

C4 on Helicopter = 0.5 damage

C4 on Tank/ATV/Jeep = 0.5 damage

Fast and easy fix and would benefit the game. C4 spam being the only problem, but if they're C4ing the crate you deserve to lose that crate for not catching them/defending the crate easily.

Edit: And repairing the crate is an interesting idea. I never saw anyone using it in the beta so I don't know how overpowered it is.

Pankaks said:
I actually stole borrowed the idea from one of your posts. I agree it's hilarious when Assault dudes try to knife and end up eating a clip of lead instead :lol.

I was playing hardcore and using the magnum with the VSS and red dot and was playing conquest on Nelson Bay. There were three dudes camped inside the house of B on the bottom floor and I walked in and lit them all up with one single clip.

I bet I've been reported for cheating cause of how amazing it works when if you don't know about it looks like a recon shouldn't have the gun.

SA-X

Pankaks said:
I still personally believe allowing engineers to repair M-COMs is the right way to go.
Yeah, this would be a good compromise that would make the game better.

Sneaking in and C4ing the shit out of the crate is too fun and its not like its really that hard to stop unless your team is incompetent. No reason to take away that ability.

TheSeks said:
<D 2.0> would still kill them. 6 C4 in a house = done.

However, it would prevent C4/AT mines for a few minutes.

The way I see it: C4 on crate = damage (they got in, they deserve to harm the crate). AT Mines = no damage to crate (it's bullshit and stupid and you can't do anything about them once placed except harm the crate your defending to get them away)

C4 on UAV = no damage to crate (and the console blows up, so assholes will finally get a freaking hint to play fair).

C4 on Helicopter = 0.5 damage

C4 on Tank/ATV/Jeep = 0.5 damage

Fast and easy fix and would benefit the game. C4 spam being the only problem, but if they're C4ing the crate you deserve to lose that crate for not catching them/defending the crate easily.

Edit: And repairing the crate is an interesting idea. I never saw anyone using it in the beta so I don't know how overpowered it is.
repairing the crate in the beta was so good that you could repair it in between tank shells when people were tank sniping.

I also think making explosive doing half damage will be enough. If it's a separate Rush mode I would love that though. If the M-COM can be repaired I would have to advise it be a very slow repair, so slow you can fix 3 tanks on the verge of blowing up to full health just to repair the M-COM to 25%

It will take a team effort to repair the M-COM. That way will be more fair towards the RPG guys since the repairing engineers will be perfect fodders.

TheSeks

The Faceless Master said:
repairing the crate in the beta was so good that you could repair it in between tank shells when people were tank sniping.

Hmmm...

Make Crate repair to 50-75% (see how overpowered it is before a hard limit).

2C4 takes about 25% of the crate health anyway, so 2 C4 right now = non-repairable damage. After that, slow the crate repair so tanks can do damage (enough, but not ENOUGH to where they OP repairing and vice versa) and it'd be perfect.

TheSeks said:
Which you can do right now, with the exception of DURR HURR C4/AT MINE/ROCKET/TANKS ARE FASTER N00B.

I use to think like you. Then I saw how many points you get for doing that stuff.

Is it possible to tank snipe or uav rocket mcom A on the last set of Arica harbor?

Crakatak187 said:
I know you can tank snipe Bravo from multiple direction on the last set of M-COMs on Arica Harbor.

I got Bravo from a pretty safe distance using the telescope spec, and with a pretty good gunner taking out engineers and recons in the building.

But I don't see any angle in which you could hit Alpha without being right next to it.

I tried using the uav. First, I took out the walls and metal screen but I got killed before I could position myself to attempt a decent shot. I'm thinking maybe from the water side of the mcom?

I tried a couple of times I don't think it's possible at at floor height and angle. I might have hit it once but the margin of error is very high since the bottom part of the wall can block the shot. If it wasn't for the trains maybe you can get a more consistent shot off at Alpha from the bridge area.

bean breath said:
I use to think like you. Then I saw how many points you get for doing that stuff.

Is it possible to tank snipe or uav rocket mcom A on the last set of Arica harbor?
you can tank snipe A and B from the bridge. B is a straight shot, A is a little trickier, i found the perfect angle after experimenting a lot.

Demize made another suggestion:

While North America is still awake, perhaps the middle ground route of simply reducing the damage done to the crates by all weapons. Discuss
https://twitter.com/Demize99/status/20256728543

Personally I have no problem with his first suggestion of infantry being unable to damage the crate at all other than Destruction 2.0 or arming them. But his second one is fine with me too.

I never understood why they removed the ability to repair the M-COMs though, I thought it worked well in the beta for discouraging solo tank sniping of the objectives, and instead encouraging more teamwork for taking the objectives. My favourites moments in BFBC2 are the intense firefights you get around the objectives when everybody converges there. Anything that encourages more of those chaotic (but awesome) moments is great in my book.

I remember in the beta I sniped Bravo easily from the bridge because I had to counter the opposing team's tactics back at them. They did it to us first.

There is a ton of arguments on this issue on the UK BFBC2 forums right now.

the more you reduce damage, the easier it is for elite squads to crush the not-so-elites.

4 man squad = 24 C4 + 4 ammo boxes. before you even finish laying the first set, you'll all have C4 replenished if there are 4 ammo boxes down, that's 48 C4's. even with 3 men, it's still 18 C4 + 3 ammo boxes which is 36 C4's. even 2 man it's still 12x2=24 C4's. half damage will help stop solos, but even 1/4 won't stop a squad.

guarding crates does a great job of stopping on foot C4 assaults...

endlessflood said:
Demize made another suggestion:

https://twitter.com/Demize99/status/20256728543

Personally I have no problem with his first suggestion of infantry being unable to damage the crate at all other than Destruction 2.0 or arming them. But his second one is fine with me too.

I never understood why they removed the ability to repair the M-COMs though, I thought it worked well in the beta for discouraging solo tank sniping of the objectives, and instead encouraging more teamwork for taking the objectives. My favourites moments in BFBC2 are the intense firefights you get around the objectives when everybody converges there. Anything that encourages more of those chaotic (but awesome) moments is great in my book.
I don't know, I've had a complete change of heart regarding the issue. You can get the experience you described in conquest mode (especially Nelson Bay), which I do when rush mode gets frustrating.

Now what I can't stand is people continually sprinting carelessly towards the mcoms and their inevitable death, draining tickets at an alarming rate. I guess it's great if your on defense but I always seem to be paired with these kamikazes that never give me a chance to spawn on them.

TheSeks

bean breath said:

And that's why it's overused. No points should be given for "Objective Harm" if they want people to stop doing it. Double so with AT Mines and C4 on a UAV.

Yes. Blow the wall, and then guide the rocket in. It's possible, but hard.

the more you reduce damage, the easier it is for elite squads to crush the not-so-elites.

That's always going to be a problem, though.

<D 2.0>'ing the crates is the biggest fuck-up DICE has with the exception of C4/AT/Rocket sniping. But those were done in BC1 (well, C4 and Rocket) but those were possible to stop. You can't stop a <D 2.0> so putting a crate in there and having them be destroyed was stupid.

With that aside: How would you balance the game so there's a decent middle-ground, <D 2.0> not withstanding?

bean breath said:
I don't know, I've had a complete change of heart regarding the issue. You can get the experience you described in conquest mode (especially Nelson Bay), which I do when rush mode gets frustrating.

Now what I can't stand is people continually sprinting carelessly towards the mcoms and their inevitable death, draining tickets at an alarming rate. I guess it's great if your on defense but I always seem to be paired with these kamikazes that never give me a chance to spawn on them.
except for "carelessly", "inevitable death" and "never give me a chance to spawn on them" that describes my attacking style pretty well!

TheSeks said:
And that's why it's overused. No points should be given for "Objective Harm" if they want people to stop doing it. Double so with AT Mines and C4 on a UAV.

Yes. Blow the wall, and then guide the rocket in. It's possible, but hard.

That's always going to be a problem, though.

<D 2.0>'ing the crates is the biggest fuck-up DICE has with the exception of C4/AT/Rocket sniping. But those were done in BC1 (well, C4 and Rocket) but those were possible to stop. You can't stop a <D 2.0> so putting a crate in there and having them be destroyed was stupid.

With that aside: How would you balance the game so there's a decent middle-ground, <D 2.0> not withstanding?
well, #1, i'd make the Russians attack in White Pass! WTF DICE?!?!?

C4 attached to ground vehicles = 1/2 damage, so you'd need 20-24

C4 attached to aerial vehicles = 1/4 damage, so you'd need 40-48

yeah, i'm totally cool with people who walk/run up to a crate and C4 it.

maybe nerf or reduce C4 damage thru walls too? so many places where you can hit a crate with C4 from the opposite wall, the roof above, or the floor below.

engineer's drill = safely defuse AT Mines (10-20 points?)

TheSeks said:

What if they gave the Engineer the ability to repair buildings, too?

except for "carelessly", "inevitable death" and "never give me a chance to spawn on them" that describes my attacking style pretty well!

:D So do I, the difference being that these people don't take the path of least resistance, they take the shortest route regardless of how well defended it is, over and over.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Wthermans said:
As long as you have an Assault resupplying you. :eek:

Well then I just switch to my trusty M1911 .45 :D.

Between the Beta and the retail release I have about 260 hours in BFBC2. I've only ever C4'd about 5 M-Coms in that time. My W/L is 1.85; not fantastic compared to many of the guys here, but still respectable. The maps are still winnable if you neglect C4/land mines in favour of arming the objectives or D2.0'ing them. As I said, my favourites moments in those 260 hours have all been huddled around crates with the crate alarm blaring and bullets and bodies flying in every direction, so I'd be quite happy with any changes that favoured those sort of situations.

bean breath said:
I haven't played Nelson Bay Conquest yet so can't comment there, but on the other maps I haven't had that same sort of intense experience in Conquest; I feel like teamwork is more important in Rush and it's the teamwork aspect that I enjoy the most in BFBC2.

TheSeks

bean breath said:
What if they gave the Engineer the ability to repair buildings, too?

I'm not saying <D 2.0>'ing a crate should be stopped. But they didn't think the maps through too well. See: White Pass Rush. After you get past the first (HARD) set, the last two sets crumble within seconds with six C4's. It's unfair to the defenders.

There needs to be one crate in a building similar to Port Valadez's third set B. I have taken an attack helicopter ALL TO THAT BUILDING and exposed everything one game and the building didn't fall. Having one building be "non-<D 2.0>'able" in a set would at least give the defenders a chance to defend a set/win the game.

Faceless said:
maybe nerf or reduce C4 damage thru walls too? so many places where you can hit a crate with C4 from the opposite wall, the roof above, or the floor below.

engineer's drill = safely defuse AT Mines (10-20 points?)

I could get behind these. Esp. the drill=AT mine defuse. This has been my biggest issue with the AT mine spam. There is no way to stop it unlike C4. You kill the C4er unless someone else detonates it, it's done. The C4 is gone. Not so for the AT mines.

Wthermans said:
As long as you have an Assault resupplying you. :eek:

Most time I'm killing Assaults so often, I'll walk over their dead bodies change over and drop an ammo kit for myself then pick back up my recon kit. Plus, playing in hardcore your ammo goes a lot farther.

While I'm ranting about dumb players I was reminded of something else that really frustrates me: The order that team mates destroy mcoms.

I'm thinking specifically of the first sets of Port Valdez and Atacama but especially the last set of Nelson Bay.

As I'm sure we all know the last bravo mcom on NB is a real bitch to destroy and an absolute blast to defend.

Bravo should be the first mcom that is destroyed while Alpha is still up so as to spread the defenders as thin as possible.

of course thats almost never the case when I play, as my team mates just can't help themselves and take out the easy alpha first allowing every last defender to dig in deep at the bravo building.

when I'm defending, I pretty much don't even care about alpha and figure we should just let them have it. There's no incentive to win with both mcoms standing or even which set you win at for that matter. You actually get more points if you win at the last set instead of the first.

what i hate is the way some people defend.

like Port Valdez 1st set, there's 3 defenders at noob hill, 5 in the woods by A, 1 by B and 3 in the construction building. why do so many people insist on defending A?!?!?

or Nelson Bay 2nd set, why are 6 people defending B, 3 at A and 3 forward of the crates?

if there are two crates and one is in a D2.0 building, defend the other one guys!

TheSeks

if there are two crates and one is in a D2.0 building, defend the other one guys!

Well, I can understand their reasoning. Anything to stop a <D 2.0>/easy crate destroyed. But 9/10 of the time, that doesn't work. :/

what i hate is the way some people defend.

like Port Valdez 1st set, there's 3 defenders at noob hill, 5 in the woods by A, 1 by B and 3 in the construction building. why do so many people insist on defending A?!?!?

or Nelson Bay 2nd set, why are 6 people defending B, 3 at A and 3 forward of the crates?

I think there's generally two ways to go about defending:

1. Sit back by the mcoms, let them come to you, and grind it out slowly.

2. Try to get 70 kills as fast as you can before they can take out the mcoms.

Usually, when I play its a mix of both at once.

Totally agree with you about Port Valdez. If they take out bravo first you almost don't even want to defend alpha anymore and just want to go on to the next set. Why set yourself up for disappointment by taking them down to like 5 tickets only for a single tank shell to end it?

bean breath said:
I think there's generally two ways to go about defending:

1. Sit back by the mcoms, let them come to you, and grind it out slowly.

2. Try to get 70 kills as fast as you can before they can take out the mcoms.

Usually, when I play its a mix of both at once.

Totally agree with you about Port Valdez. If they take out bravo first you almost don't even want to defend alpha anymore and just want to go on to the next set. Why set yourself up for disappointment by taking them down to like 5 tickets only for a single tank shell to end it?
i'm only a fan of #2 if it's NOT the first or last base. first base because it's not like i can go up in their spawn, and last because there's nothing to fall back on, but middle bases, i'll go for #2 sometimes, but i'll mostly stick to #1 unless something weird happens, like the attackers bailing on their Hind on the first base of Atacama Desert.

yeah,on PV if the other team takes bravo first, i start setting AT Mines at the spawn spots for the tanks for when the bases move, because it's pretty likely after that.

Guys what the fuck is going on? I just finished installing on steam. I went to play, but it says no servers are available. Please help.

Edit: Nvm it was POS Windows firewall/runing as admin.

My PC solider is The Inquisitr. Look foward to playing w/ you guys.

We just went through hell tonight. This I_own_Noobs clan and R2K did every crate bashing trick in the book. We put a stop to them at the last Bravo in Port Valdez. They wiped us out inside but did nothing because they were waiting for people to C4 it. They didn't even try to arm it. Also tried to C4 it from the rooftops.

At the end we won and they sent one of us a hatemail (Fanmail), the person who got it sent them a friend request. Shit was hilarious :lol

I haven't seen a team use so much UAV C4, Quad C4, Chopper C4, and regular style in a long time. I think it's the most I seen UAV C4. Those guys were level 50.

some team tried to UAV C4 us on Isla Inocentes today. they did pretty well until we got to the last bases and i then i made it my job to get over the hill and destroy the UAV station every time i got a chance. the rest of my team also pushed up slowly and got their tank a few times and stuff. they got to UAV C4 A once, and that was it. then we C4'd the shit out of their crates on attack, no UAV needed, until the final crate (B), which was armed and defended! :lol :lol :lol

right now, i'm trying to play thru Valparaiso Hardcore Onslaught with randoms. already did Nelson Bay and Atacama Desert tonight.

Last night is the most a seen a team using UAV C4. I think the best fix is to completely remove splash damage of the C4 when it's stuck to a vehicle, so the vehicle gets all the damage but it won't damage anything around it. That way it doesn't have to be discreet about abandoned vehicles and such.

And it makes it so I can bail out safely.

The_Inquisitor said:
Guys what the fuck is going on? I just finished installing on steam. I went to play, but it says no servers are available. Please help.

I'm at work now, but add me:

EA: Anton Sugar
Steam: anton_Sugar

Pete Rock

right now, i'm trying to play thru Valparaiso Hardcore Onslaught with randoms. already did Nelson Bay and Atacama Desert tonight.
Still want to take a crack at them some time? I have yet to complete them on that difficulty. Had two acquaintances rope me into attempting Isla: one just sat on wookie hill and sniped at thin air while constantly complaining about the fog, the other would spawn in the blackhawk as I was hovering over the capture point and instead of defending with the chaingun he would bail out and die the instant he hit the ground. We managed to grind through to the last base, I went medic and racked up over 150 cheesy M60 kills trying to break into the flag zone, right when the ticker starts to count down the game crashes and kicks us all to dash :lol

Pete Rock said:
Still want to take a crack at them some time? I have yet to complete them on that difficulty. Had two acquaintances rope me into attempting Isla: one just sat on wookie hill and sniped at thin air while constantly complaining about the fog, the other would spawn in the blackhawk as I was hovering over the capture point and instead of defending with the chaingun he would bail out and die the instant he hit the ground. We managed to grind through to the last base, I went medic and racked up over 150 cheesy M60 kills trying to break into the flag zone, right when the ticker starts to count down the game crashes and kicks us all to dash :lol
i manage to get all three with randoms, but i'm game to help out someone else.

a recon on noob hill on isla is helpful. just get the VSS, extra ammo spec and make sure to kill the sniper on the blue house first. also helps to have one on the hill before the 3rd base.

TheSeks

i manage to get all three with randoms, but i'm game to help out someone else.

a recon on noob hill on isla is helpful. just get the VSS, extra ammo spec and make sure to kill the sniper on the blue house first. also helps to have one on the hill before the 3rd base.

You can also have one on the second base under the "ledge" on the beach, provided there is a fourth person for respawn backup incase they screw up. I did just that when we got your achievement on that map. Camped my ass near B as close as I could and mowed down the AI as they came down the road. Idiots. :lol

Nabs

The_Inquisitor said:

I think my pc solider name is Nabs ([2pro] Nabs with clan tag). Got a mic?

dralla said:
new spec that should be added in, invulnerability to motion sensors. it would take up the first slot.

Now that I'm playing hardcore a lot the motion sensors have become my best friend. Throwing one behind me then watching one direction or throwing one into a house before I go in to see if anyone is in there. These things are the best ever lately. You get a -1 vote for me.

Mr Sandman said:
Bad Co 2 now $29.99 on Steam. It says "new low price" so I guess it's a price drop not a sale. Crazy shit!

add me on steam: pacman326 bfbc2: TheInquistr

I was really surprised how quickly I am transitioning back to the M&KB. I was hovering around a 1 K/D ratio last night with the M24 with 0 perks. I forgot how much I missed not using a controller. Anyways, add me up GAF, I should be on later tonight.

I think my pc solider name is Nabs ([2pro] Nabs with clan tag). Got a mic?

Yeah I have some old school logitec set.

Yo anton, I can't add you. It says your account doesn't exist on steam.

The_Inquisitor said:
add me on steam: pacman326 bfbc2: TheInquistr

I was really surprised how quickly I am transitioning back to the M&KB. I was hovering around a 1 K/D ratio last night with the M24 with 0 perks. I forgot how much I missed not using a controller. Anyways, add me up GAF, I should be on later tonight.

Yeah I have some old school logitec set.
I have the retail but I will add you. The game friend's list is kinda buggy so I will spam requests, and eventually it will go through...hopefully.

Mr Sandman said:
I have the retail but I will add you. The game friend's list is kinda buggy so I will spam requests, and eventually it will go through...hopefully.

Sounds good. Yeah I am def. up for playing w/ confident players. It's going to take a little for me to get used to KB&M again, but once I do I should be a force to be reconed with. :D

Anyone try the MOH beta? I was a huge fan of MOH:AA. Is it any good? I kind of refuse to play COD anymore due to 15 dollar map packs.

Top Bottom