• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

Nabs

The_Inquisitor said:
Yeah I have some old school logitec set.

sounds good. when you have a free minute, download mumble and set it up however you like.

we use an external voip program so we can all communicate, even from other squads and teams. if you see one of us playing bc2, we're probably in there with a few others. feel free to join up whenever.

the address is "67.23.187.114" and port is "20198"

The_Inquisitor said:
Yo anton, I can't add you. It says your account doesn't exist on steam.
don't forget the underscore

Nabs said:
sounds good. when you have a free minute, download mumble and set it up however you like.

we use an external voip program so we can all communicate, even from other squads and teams. if you see one of us playing bc2, we're probably in there with a few others. feel free to join up whenever.

the address is "67.23.187.114" and port is "20198"

don't forget the underscore

I'll set it up after work. I was trying to add him through website interface, but I will try again when I get home. How many squad up normally?

Cornbread78

Mr Sandman said:
Bad Co 2 now $29.99 on Steam. It says "new low price" so I guess it's a price drop not a sale. Crazy shit!

It's also on sale at GAme Stop for 39.99 for PS3 at Game Stop as part of their Summer Sale wich runs through Sunday...

Oh BTW, I'm finally up to 11 2.0 kills! Only 9 more to go, LOL!

Marvie_3

Banned
Cornbread78 said:
It's also on sale at GAme Stop for 39.99 for PS3 at Game Stop as part of their Summer Sale wich runs through Sunday...

Oh BTW, I'm finally up to 11 2.0 kills! Only 9 more to go, LOL!
I have 13 now. I got 4 from one building the other night. :D

OldJadedGamer said:
Now that I'm playing hardcore a lot the motion sensors have become my best friend. Throwing one behind me then watching one direction or throwing one into a house before I go in to see if anyone is in there. These things are the best ever lately. You get a -1 vote for me.

Wait wha? Hardcore mode? Do you pause and bring up the map screen after you throw them or are your ears capable of sonar?

The_Inquisitor said:
He probably listens for beep and then spins around.

Right, I throw then turn around and wait. Then when I hear the beep I know someone is close and concentrate in that direction.

bean breath said:
They're silent until they detect an enemy? Damn, I never noticed:lol

Yeah, not a peep out of them unless an enemy is near. Learn something new every day right?

Marvie_3 said:
I have 13 now. I got 4 from one building the other night. :D
i'm up to 41 on PS3! i had 26 when i stopped playing on PS3 months ago.

bean breath said:
They're silent until they detect an enemy? Damn, I never noticed:lol
you can tell when enemy sensors are deployed too, since you hear the beep, but don't see a sensor pulse near you on the map.

Yeah, when I heard a "peep" sound, I run for my life, sometimes getting nearer the sensor instead of running away. :lol

Also, your invisible to the sensor when you don't move at all, but what about no moving and aiming?

Wthermans

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:
Yeah, when I heard a "peep" sound, I run or my life, sometimes getting nearer the sensor instead of runninf away. :lol

Also, your invisible to the sensor when you don't move at all, but what about no moving and aiming?
As long as the PC doesn't move positions, you're not detected. I've heard that if you "walk" (aka crouch then move) you're not detected as well, but I've never been able to confirm that.

Cornbread78

greenjerk said:
i'm gonna try to break my bc2 drought tonight. not playing if gaffers aren't on though.

Well hello there Mr. 11 days offiline, LOL.

I have to work tonight, but I'll be on late tomorrow night (after 11:30pm) and late Friday night (after some MW2, campin' NOOBtubin' maddness)

The Faceless Master said:
i'm up to 41 on PS3! i had 26 when i stopped playing on PS3 months ago.

It's just not fair...... only thing between me and a platinum.....

todahawk

Cornbread78 said:
Well hello there Mr. 11 days offiline, LOL.

I have to work tonight, but I'll be on late tomorrow night (after 11:30pm) and late Friday night (after some MW2, campin' NOOBtubin' maddness)

It's just not fair...... only thing between me and a platinum.....

Holy shit, it's been that long??!?!?!? :(

todahawk

Cornbread78 said:
Yeah, you've been working too hard, or vacationing too hard, either way and need some more gamign time, LOL.:lol

i wish it was vacation, i need like a month off.
long story at work but this place is driving me to drink.

jayb

So what's widely considered the best map/game mode/weapon combination to get D2.0 kills?

I'm at 9 right now, with the majority coming from White Pass/Conquest/Mortars. And those felt really tough to get. Also, I probably have more D2.0 teamkills than actual D2.0 kills. :(

I'm LTTP, so I haven't unlocked the extra explosive damage yet, so maybe I'll just stop trying for D2.0 kills until I unlock that ability.

jayb said:
So what's widely considered the best map/game mode/weapon combination to get D2.0 kills?

I'm at 9 right now, with the majority coming from White Pass/Conquest/Mortars. And those felt really tough to get. Also, I probably have more D2.0 teamkills than actual D2.0 kills. :(

I'm LTTP, so I haven't unlocked the extra explosive damage yet, so maybe I'll just stop trying for D2.0 kills until I unlock that ability.
I've gotten the most on Nelson Bay and Port Valdez Rush. I'd roll with a M416 + double nades and sit on an ammo pack shooting walls mcom walls. Get a friend so you have two ammo packs for faster resupply. Reloads faster than the carl. Other maps that have 2.0 potential: Arica Harbor, White Pass, (both Rush and Conquest) and Atacama Desert. C4 can be risky placing it, but still an option.

Saw a funny glitch last night. My buddy knifed a guy at the exact moment his victim left the game. The result? He got catapulted striaght up into the top of a tree and couldn't move... even when we blew up the tree :D

2eb8l8k.jpg

2d1trbq.jpg

:lol

On the subject of glitches, there are two which still really annoy me. Sometimes I'll get a glitch where all of my ammo counters will say 0/0 (flashing), and I'll still be able to fire and reload etc, but there is like a 2 second delay on any controller input. That one's rare (I've only had it about 3 times now) but very annoying. Thankfully it's solved by dying, which in that state doesn't take long :D

But then there's the common respawn screen glitch, where if you're messing around on the respawn screen at the moment that somebody revives you, the respawn screens stays up and any controller input just affects the respawn screen loadout rather than your character (and you can't make the screen go away). This one requires death to fix as well.

The annoying wrinkle with the respawn screen glitch though is that you can actually induce it yourself, which (idiot that I am) I often accidentally do. Once you've hit the button to respawn, at the last moment before you do actually respawn if you try to go back and change your loadout you will find yourself spawning with the respawn screen blocking your view (i.e. the same glitch). Am I the only one who has done this? I'll often select to respawn as engineer because a vehicle is raping us, but at the last moment before I respawn I see that the vehicle has been destroyed; at that moment I'll try to go back to change my loadout but end up with the glitch and having to suicide :(

yeah, that glitch was HILARIOUS, especially after we took down the tree and he stayed in the air!

i had this glitch once where i was (as usual) reload canceling the 870 shotgun and somehow i got 5 shells in, so i kept reloading and i somehow got all 16 shells in the tube! it was great! wish i could replicate it.

Started my day with CJ, win one round with ace 35-17, lost one round as ace 28-15.

Cj left, joined crappy randoms...nostyle joined...but I had enough and left >.>

sorry Nostyle.

On PS3 this game is crashing on me at least once a week. The "Your Team Lost" when really my team won screen is getting pretty old too. Not quite as old as being on a team of no-talent snipers sitting on the other side of the continent the whole match, contributing nothing to the objective.

Are the bolt-action sniper rifles still one-hit kills (body shots) in hardcore mode, or did they change that in one of the patches? I'm trying to get gold stars for all weapons and I'm really not looking forward to the bolt-actions.

On a related note, does anyone have any good setup tips for the SVU?

littleornothin

Neo Member
endlessflood said:
Are the bolt-action sniper rifles still one-hit kills (body shots) in hardcore mode, or did they change that in one of the patches? I'm trying to get gold stars for all weapons and I'm really not looking forward to the bolt-actions.

SVU with ACOG / Magnum bullets is my favorite combination and the gun I have the most kill with.
Pretty good both up close shooting from the hip, goodly at medium distances and still accurate on long shots.

Will try the VSS w/ red dot that someone mention next time though.. seems nice.

endlessflood said:

according to the damage charts, health in Hardcore is 60 and past 36M the M95 does 55 and the other 3 do 50. so, none of them will 1HK normally, but all of the bolt actions should 1HK with Magnum ammo, except if the enemy is wearing ceramic armor.

littleornothin said:
Will try the VSS w/ red dot that someone mention next time though.. seems nice.

I just passed by 500th kill with it tonight and started using it only a few days ago. It's not so much the gun that can take out three guys bunched together in a single clip but it's the fact that everyone assumes your a noob sniper and doesn't fire on you automatically giving you more time to light them up.

edit: in the hour and 15 minutes since typing this I jumped up another 70 kills with it.

littleornothin

Neo Member
OldJadedGamer said:
I just passed by 500th kill with it tonight and started using it only a few days ago. It's not so much the gun that can take out three guys bunched together in a single clip but it's the fact that everyone assumes your a noob sniper and doesn't fire on you automatically giving you more time to light them up.

Think I have 6-700 kills with my SVU setup. But that's in 15 hours time with it.
Never tried red dot with it, it's more of a middle distance setup. If I go close up recon I tend to go with a shotty. But will try this VSS w/ RD next time instead. Nice tip!

The only time I choose a real sniper rifle is when I need to do some payback on some irritating far away enemy that keeps picking me out :)

Sanic

Is there some kind of website that gives an overview over some of detailed/buried aspects of the game? Like, I have no idea what the stars next to certain weapons are or do :lol I feel stupid, but it's true!

Cornbread78

Pandoracell said:
Is there some kind of website that gives an overview over some of detailed/buried aspects of the game? Like, I have no idea what the stars next to certain weapons are or do :lol I feel stupid, but it's true!

Those are all stat related; you can look at all of that by going to the BFBC website.

Sanic

thanks, I guess I should get around to that!

e: just looking up some BC1 stuff and...what happened during development of BC2?! some of the maps in BC1 are so much more open, I wish we had that in BC2 :/

I've done a complete 180 on my opinion of the m14. I now love it and manage to get as many kills with it per round as I did with a fully auto assualt rifle (this probably speaks more of my lack of skill though).

I first started using it after an extremely frustrating round against a stacked team of 50s. Every 1 on 1 encounter I'd be dead after one of their shot bursts, even if I shot first.

Now with the m14, my aim has gotten a lot better and I'm not panicking and spraying bullets everywhere but the target.

I also like that I can use it with any class and switch on the fly as the play dictates. Lately though, I've been sticking with recon, gotta love those motion mines.

Pandoracell said:
thanks, I guess I should get around to that!

e: just looking up some BC1 stuff and...what happened during development of BC2?! some of the maps in BC1 are so much more open, I wish we had that in BC2 :/
seriously, the BC1 maps were fantastic!

Crakatak187 said:
I don't know, most of the time I see a wookie face to face they always have a Saiga.

Shotguns have very limited range where the VSS still has sniper range. I've killed multiple people from across the map even with just a red dot.

Huggers

Alright guys. Is it too late to get into the online? How is the learning curve? I am not all that adept when it comes to shooters. I want to get involved as I see their is a Nam expansion pack coming this year and that definitely interests me. Any tips for a total noob?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
The Hug Dog said:
Alright guys. Is it too late to get into the online? How is the learning curve? I am not all that adept when it comes to shooters. I want to get involved as I see their is a Nam expansion pack coming this year and that definitely interests me. Any tips for a total noob?
Check the OP theres a long list with advices.

At least on PS3 there are lots of gaffers playing every night.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
The Hug Dog said:

SPOT SPOT SPOT SPOT SPOT....spot.

Hit the back/select/(Whatever it is for pc) button to spot any enemy that you see. That way even if the enemy kills you, your buddies know where they are.

The Hug Dog said:

Find out what the class you pick can do to help your team and do that a bunch. Ammo them up, heal them, repair them and always spot. Remember your K/D ratio means nothing, and it's all about team work.

Oh, and don't play recon at all until you are super used to the game.

The Hug Dog said:
Be in a squad and follow the best player.
Play as a medic.
Play as an engineer and be a gunner in vehicles.

The most difficult part initially is learning the maps.

Razor210

Pankaks said:
SPOT SPOT SPOT SPOT SPOT....spot.

Hit the back/select/(Whatever it is for pc) button to spot any enemy that you see. That way even if the enemy kills you, your buddies know where they are.
Hell, I've practiced using the base of my thumb to move so I can just spot anything I feel like.

1stStrike

Banned
Damn it, why haven't I been playing BC2 lately? I'm in that mode again. I look at the PS3 and I'm like, "Meh" and go play ME2 on the PC or dick around on the web for 3 hours and go to bed.

:(

Shame on you Strike!

So I started playing with the AUG again, and it's a pretty fun gun to use. I think it's one of the better "feeling" guns in the assault class.

Top Bottom