• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

TheSeks said:
They don't. It's really REALLY rare to see a recon using them.

Like... 80% of recons don't use them. The other 20% do, but it's never a "ZOMG MUST TOSS OUT" item.

Put me in the club of OMG must toss them out. I play a recon class like an Assault class with the VSS red dotted and I actually need to refill on ammo to get more sensors back cause I run out of them. I throw them behind me so I don't have to watch my back. The second it sounds I know someone is coming from that direction. Also, they are great for going up to the third floor of a house and throwing one down stairs so that you know the second someone comes into the house. Speaking of houses, I'll throw one through a window to see if there is anyone camping the house before I enter as well. There are a million uses for them and I can't even imagine playing a round without using them.

One of the most useful items in the game IMO. If you don't see people using them then you are playing with bad recons.

Drastic

The Faceless Master said:
if you can't join squad B, it's set to private. now, if your complaint is about the ability of the squad starter to set the squad to private, that's a whole other issue...

re-poll and merge two low population game sessions into one? how often would they poll? then there's the host migration issues, latency issues from switching users to servers at a different location. and of course, there will always be games that aren't full as the server population rises and falls throughout the peak and off-peak hours. i mean, it's doable, and could be nice if done well, but it's a lot of extra work to solve a minor problem.

and of course, people will be upset if they get pulled out of their winning session into a losing session...
Yeah I know squads can be set to private, but maybe I'm overestimating humanity to think that many people would not go into squad dm with a locked 2 or 3 man squad. It seemed more plausible that the game simply wouldn't join squads of 2 or 1+2 with as many opportunities as I saw.

When a game ends, and you have say 60% or less on the server, put them into other ongoing games that aren't full. Split squads up, it doesn't matter. Hell anything is better than leaving the same sorry servers to continually slowly die off. There are many other titles that can pull this off, I don't see why it would be so much "extra work" when the game can be designed this way from the ground up. If they want to compete with the likes of COD, they need to at least get close with matchmaking.

Maybe my evening was an isolated timeframe, but it was much more than a "minor" problem to me. Every server I joined, when I could join a different one, was like this.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
OldJadedGamer said:
Put me in the club of OMG must toss them out. I play a recon class like an Assault class with the VSS red dotted and I actually need to refill on ammo to get more sensors back cause I run out of them. I throw them behind me so I don't have to watch my back. The second it sounds I know someone is coming from that direction. Also, they are great for going up to the third floor of a house and throwing one down stairs so that you know the second someone comes into the house. Speaking of houses, I'll throw one through a window to see if there is anyone camping the house before I enter as well. There are a million uses for them and I can't even imagine playing a round without using them.

One of the most useful items in the game IMO. If you don't see people using them then you are playing with bad recons.
I have apparently thrown out a motion sensor 15,000 times!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
lawblob said:
Question; i bought this game used two weeks ago, been playing non-stop. What exactly do I get if I pony up the $15 for DLC?
More maps per game mode.
For instance if you wanna play Rush on Atacama Desert you need to be a VIP.

Massa

Speaking of VIP, quick question for the double dippers out there: do you need a code for each platform or is it tied to your EA account?

Drastic said:
Yeah I know squads can be set to private, but maybe I'm overestimating humanity to think that many people would not go into squad dm with a locked 2 or 3 man squad. It seemed more plausible that the game simply wouldn't join squads of 2 or 1+2 with as many opportunities as I saw.

When a game ends, and you have say 60% or less on the server, put them into other ongoing games that aren't full. Split squads up, it doesn't matter. Hell anything is better than leaving the same sorry servers to continually slowly die off. There are many other titles that can pull this off, I don't see why it would be so much "extra work" when the game can be designed this way from the ground up. If they want to compete with the likes of COD, they need to at least get close with matchmaking.

Maybe my evening was an isolated timeframe, but it was much more than a "minor" problem to me. Every server I joined, when I could join a different one, was like this.
you're overestimating humanity. i've joined several squad rush and squad dm games with people who were in private squads and had to send messages to them to tell them they to open it.

Razor210

When I maxed out my recon, 70% of the time, I was holding something other than a sniper rifle.

The motion sensor would be almost overpowered if people actually started using them.

X-Frame

I was worried at first that the Recon class wouldn't unlock anything to use other than a sniper rifle (since I always feel like a piece of crap when I have one in my hands - would rather launch myself into the chaos).

So I've been getting killed by Recon's who have G3's and other rifles that I would love to use. C4 and Motion Sensor with the G3 is all I would need for a lot of what I do.

What sort of Specialization perks do you Recon's (who are assault Recons) use? The lightweight one?

Wthermans

Banned
X-Frame said:
I was worried at first that the Recon class wouldn't unlock anything to use other than a sniper rifle (since I always feel like a piece of crap when I have one in my hands - would rather launch myself into the chaos).

So I've been getting killed by Recon's who have G3's and other rifles that I would love to use. C4 and Motion Sensor with the G3 is all I would need for a lot of what I do.

What sort of Specialization perks do you Recon's (who are assault Recons) use? The lightweight one?
Magnum Ammo. The extra range for OHKs with the Red Dot M95 is nice (especially on Arica Conquest which seems to have buildings spaced just far enough to avoid non-Magnum OHKs).

olimpia84

X-Frame said:

I use the M1A1 (it's better to use the G3 but I already have a platinum star for it so I don't use it anymore)/Rex/Mortar Strike/Magnum Ammo/Lightweight pack/Alt. Weapon

Love that setup. However I do switch to a shotgun whenever I play on White Pass or Nelson Bay (preferably the 870)

dralla said:
I wish they'd give the medic another special ability besides revive though. Engineers get RL, Tank mines or C4 to chose from. Medics should have some options too.
Personally I'd like to see them bump the damage for all LMGs, or maybe reduce the recoil. More people playing medic = less people C4'ing objectives. Medic is the least played class so some sort of bump would seem justified anyway.

Actually now that I think about it, give LMGs much more damage at close range and much less at long range to encourage them to get up in the thick of things.

And run over a landmine :lol

What I really hate is noobs causing so much attention near me when I'm sneaking, I mean they walked up to me and started shooting for ammo, it's like they don't know how to press select. I freaks me out and put me in defense mode as well.

No_Style

Got booted or the server died. Either way, playing against GAF sucks. Thank goodness there was a slot available after that round.

X-Frame

So once I unlock the final gun for the Medic .. am I basically "done" with the Medic? There's no more unlocks specific to him?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
you're overestimating humanity. i've joined several squad rush and squad dm games with people who were in private squads and had to send messages to them to tell them they to open it.

Firstly, there is your guys problem.

Secondly, play Conquest/Rush and you generally won't have to deal with private squads (unless it's me/GAF that is doing that). ;)

X-Frame said:
So once I unlock the final gun for the Medic .. am I basically "done" with the Medic? There's no more unlocks specific to him?

Once you see no more level up rewards for a class: Yes. You're done leveling that class.

Personally I'd like to see them bump the damage for all LMGs,

Magnum Ammo (welcome to being part of the problem, they should just give the 25% buff back, assholes)

or maybe reduce the recoil.

LMG training. Lose Range + IIRC for slot 2.

Razor210 said:
I was holding something other than a sniper rifle

Something something... sexually suggestive something something....

G3 Mortar (because no reloading C4 :(), More ammo (for G3), Magnum Ammo (to stop people, and frankly there isn't any other slot-2 worth a damn for assault recon).

Faceless said:
i've noticed that as soon as i start throwing them and people start getting kills, the other recons start throwing them, it's hilarious how that works...

It's the same for any other class item.

And Medics aren't really under representated, it's just there isn't a whole lot of a point in using them in defense on Rush or Conquest (well, they can bring a ticket back but once the ticket counter is 0, even reviving someone within a minute of that 0 hold-out means you still lose, so what's the point?). And the LMG damage is really low (they can kill, but it's EXTREMELY hard unless you slap Magnum Ammo on them).

I'm probably the only "proper" medic in the game anymore. But it's a thrill whenever Faceless others are in my squad, and I have to rush out, L D-pad, R1, Triangle, L3 sprint back to cover shuffle dance. :lol

No_Style

Anyone ever check out their performance history via BFBCS?

Here's mine

Looks like I'm no longer wildly inconsistent with K/D and W/L. Probably due to the solid GAF squad.

My accuracy is stabilizing as well, but it was all over the place before. :lol You can also check how much you've played per day.

It's neat. I'd post pictures, but it's time for bed and I'm tired.

It's all about the F2000 :lol
I'm still getting use to the gun but I'm getting better. Past 60 meters it start getting very inaccurate though. Got my 2nd Gold star for F2000.

I'm going to platinum. Screw the AEK that shit jump too much.

No_Style said:

Here's mine

Looks like I'm no longer wildly inconsistent with K/D and W/L. Probably due to the solid GAF squad.

My accuracy is stabilizing as well, but it was all over the place before. :lol You can also check how much you've played per day.

It's neat. I'd post pictures, but it's time for bed and I'm tired.
That is pretty cool. Look at my time stat... can anyone say patch-induced lag? lol

Crakatak187 said:
I'm still getting use to the gun but I'm getting better. Past 60 meters it start getting very inaccurate though. Got my 2nd Gold star for F2000.

AEK is okay....but it'll be a long time before I go ahead and plat any of the assault weapons

MG3, UMP SA and VSS are my priories right now.

Someone need to tell me how to use the AUG effectively though, cause that gun just doesn't suit me at all...

TheSeks

Eternal Sleeper said:
Someone need to tell me how to use the AUG effectively though, cause that gun just doesn't suit me at all...

AUG and AEK is a beast. Slap 4x scope on them, TAP TAP TAP and go to town. Takes a little bit to adjust, but it's really good.

Hell, drop the 4x scope on the AUG as it's iron sights are decent.

Edit: And looking at those graphs my accuracy is all over the damn place, along with my Skill Level/Score.

Kinda funny how when Faceless left the PS3 scene, my shit starts to tumble. Faceless comes back and things start to magically improve. Things that make me go "Hmmmm..."

That and my vehicle score is steadily climbing. You don't get between me and my vehicles bitches.

i've noticed that as soon as i start throwing them and people start getting kills, the other recons start throwing them, it's hilarious how that works...
On defense when we have one mcom left and people are spread out too much I throw them out directly on the mcom, repeatedly. As soon as an enemy appears on the radar everyone comes in and does what I want them to and what we have to do to win the game:

guard the damn mcom.

Shouldn't have to throw motion mines for this to happen but sometimes it's the only way.

No_Style said:

Still don't understand this whole Skill Level thing. I know it's not entirely tied to KDR, but I'm looking at my charts here ... Skill Level +114 during a two-hour session that featured a 0.56 KDR, then turn right around and see a three-hour session featuring a 0.74 KDR in which my Skill Level goes -142. lolwut

Hell, I just noticed my overall Skill Level is 36, lol, and I'm quite positive I've been at or near 150 many times when I've checked. Why is this number so all over the place? What exactly does this number represent? And is it a good idea to keep an eye on it, or is it better to ignore it?

It would be refreshing to find that it was actually a viable number that took into account a ton of shit beyond KDR (ahem, for obvious reasons), and that if I were to truly stick to my guns (no pun) and play my own style, this number would go up.

But then I've had games where I played "my style" (minimal deaths, but proportionate kills and points) and still saw my SL drop.

Bullshiz, the whole thing, I say. :D

TheSeks

NEOPARADIGM said:
Hell, I just noticed my overall Skill Level is 36, lol, and I'm quite positive I've been at or near 150 many times when I've checked. Why is this number so all over the place? What exactly does this number represent? And is it a good idea to keep an eye on it, or is it better to ignore it?

Skill level is a useless stat, like it was in BC1.

If it's anything like BC1's (which I think it is) killing high skill level players = raising SL. Dying to lower levels (or higher levels, I think it's the former than this latter) = lowering skill level.

It's why my S. Level keeps going from 197-199 (have yet to reach 200 :() to like 150-160. Then Faceless joins my squad and it pops back up to 190-197. It's crazy. :lol

Eternal Sleeper said:
All this G3 talk.

Don't you know that VSS > G3?:lol

I'm still in love with the VSS red dot. I would sleep with it and call it my baby if I could. Up to over 700 kills with only a few hours of play time on it.

kitch9

Banned
Anybody play this in 3d on the PC?

How is it? My 3d kit comes today and I'm wondering if there's anything to look out for.

NEOPARADIGM said:
Still don't understand this whole Skill Level thing. I know it's not entirely tied to KDR, but I'm looking at my charts here ...
One point that might cause a little confusion here: if you're in the game itself and check out the Leaderboards, you'll see a Skill Level rating which tops out at 200.

The BFBCS site tracks two different stats, one called "Level" which is the games' Skill Level rating (the one that tops out at 200), and one called "Skill Level", which is something that seems to be unique to the BFBCS site and doesn't seem to correspond to anything in the game. I have no idea what the BFBCS site's "Skill Level" rating is determined by or what it represents; let us never speak of it again :D

cabottemp

Banned
kitch9 said:
Anybody play this in 3d on the PC?

How is it? My 3d kit comes today and I'm wondering if there's anything to look out for.

For what it's worth, I checked it out in 3D at pax east. After 5 minutes of play I became a believer in 3D gaming.

kitch9

Banned
cabot said:
For what it's worth, I checked it out in 3D at pax east. After 5 minutes of play I became a believer in 3D gaming.

According to reports on the net, they broke the 3d crosshair with the last patch..... You get to see 2 to the left and right of the screen instead of one in the centre. :lol 3D vision ready my hairy ass.....

FFS, I was looking forward to some BC2 3d action tonight as well!!! Dice are a bunch of useless fucks at the minute what gives?

lots of fun games tonight. spawn camp knifing on alta... :lol :lol :lol

oh DICE, why do you make people all spawn in one location when their base is invaded?

TheSeks said:
Firstly, there is your guys problem.

Secondly, play Conquest/Rush and you generally won't have to deal with private squads (unless it's me/GAF that is doing that). ;)
oh, i wasn't advocating SR/SDM, just saying that "yes, people will play in a 2 or 3 man private squad in those modes"

UFRA

Crakatak187 said:
Sorry I kept running into you faceless. After Gaf left JM and I put the hurt on those guys. Laguna Presa is like our map or something :lol

It seems that every time we play that map (as defenders) we always end up stealing the enemy's Bradley and destroy them at the 2nd set of M-COM's. :lol Never gets old.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Crakatak187 said:

Told you that rifle was the shit man... use the 40mm shotgun and it's just disgusting. Burst fire and you can kill things at range often enough.

edit: requires mag ammo. it's a pea shooter otherwise.

editx2: So yeah...

11j6au0.jpg

X-Frame

I really hate not having fully customizable controls for this game.

All I want to do is swap Crouch and Melée and it'll be perfect.

Marvie_3

Banned
Crakatak187 said:
What I really hate is noobs causing so much attention near me when I'm sneaking, I mean they walked up to me and started shooting for ammo, it's like they don't know how to press select. I freaks me out and put me in defense mode as well.
I hate this. Especially on the rare occasions where I snipe/spot/mortar for a bit to try to punch holes in the other team. I have a few really good spots but within a minute 2 other people are running around me trying to snipe while running and blocking my view.

Top Bottom