• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 |OT2| See, Spot, Run

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
doomed1 said:
I think this is the real issue. the crates are easier to blow with the C4 and everything. The issue has nothing to do with points and point incentivizing, it's got to do with the fact that it's easier to do and much more difficult to defend against than a standard arm. If it was just as easy to defend against, then it wouldn't be a problem, would it? The points are part of the problem, yes, but these tactics saw use well before they were incentivized by points. If it wasn't easy to pull it off, then it wouldn't be a probem, just it is, and to make matters worse it gives extra points.

No, because it is easy to defend against. Shoot the C4/AT'er. Rocket sniping being the only hard one (with the exception of C4 UAV) to defend against.

The damage rate is a problem. But the points incentive seems to have made a huge leap in people doing it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Pandoracell said:
So map pack #6 is the last one, correct?
Yup. (The last one before Vietnam according to zh1nt0 DICE CM)
It should be a SQ DM and a SQ Rush map.

TheSeks said:
And drop the points to what they were before. Giving a point boost to Objective Harm was fucking stupid as now everyone and their mom is going for Harms to get points (plus it's easier to take the crates out that way)
before the points boost, people didn't really C4 crates (i did, C4 since BC1 baby!), they didn't arm, attack or protect them very often either. the points incentive made more people take notice and actually try to destroy the objectives, since before the points boost, people actually destroying the crates not only got a crappy K/D, they also got a crappy score compared to people who laid back and picked people off. why remove the incentive for people to actually try and win?

doomed1 said:
Which is why I'm saying the same thing. I don't want them to remove ALL ways of getting rid of an MCOM, but let the engies repair it to make C4 and such a less attractive and more difficult affair.

Now I must be off as I start the roadtrip to get my rig back. See you guys online at the end of the week :D
if engineers can repair the M-COM, then the question becomes "how fast?"

faster than a single person with a CG, RPG7 or Tank can damage it? then people won't do that solo, but organized groups will.

still won't stop C4, it will just mean that on skilled squads, 2 or 3 people will C4 instead of 1, and with squad spawn, only 1 has to sneak in. while on less skilled squads, people will just sit back and take pot shots at the other team all day and not actually try to win. this will just widen the gap between more organized and skilled squads and the rest of the player base.

not all bases and not all crates can be defended as well as others, some are virtual lost causes, while others are solid and very defendable. it just comes down to how well people defend.

i mean, even if the only way to destroy a crate was to arm it and stop disarms, some people will go up against a tough team, get owned and complain that it should take 2 people to arm a crate and the 2 people it takes to arm can't be from the same squad because of squad spawn. or they could just defend better...

TheSeks

The Faceless Master said:
before the points boost, people didn't really C4 crates (i did, C4 since BC1 baby!), they didn't arm, attack or protect them very often either. the points incentive made more people take notice and actually try to destroy the objectives, since before the points boost, people actually destroying the crates not only got a crappy K/D, they also got a crappy score compared to people who laid back and picked people off. why remove the incentive for people to actually try and win?

*ReggieNotMyProblem.jpg* Sorry, I can't fix the terrible ADD of FPS players that come into Objective Modes and think it's Deathmatch. I can't.

There has to be a drop in points. Or give the points increase to an arm (ONLY AFTER THE CRATE BLOWS ON ARMING), while objective harms go back to what they were before. There needs to be a target to "HEY ARM THE DAMN THING" over "HEY, BLOW THE DAMN THING."

if engineers can repair the M-COM, then the question becomes "how fast?"

faster than a single person with a CG, RPG7 or Tank can damage it? then people won't do that solo, but organized groups will.

still won't stop C4, it will just mean that on skilled squads, 2 or 3 people will C4 instead of 1, and with squad spawn, only 1 has to sneak in. while on less skilled squads, people will just sit back and take pot shots at the other team all day and not actually try to win. this will just widen the gap between more organized and skilled squads and the rest of the player base.

not all bases and not all crates can be defended as well as others, some are virtual lost causes, while others are solid and very defendable. it just comes down to how well people defend.

i mean, even if the only way to destroy a crate was to arm it and stop disarms, some people will go up against a tough team, get owned and complain that it should take 2 people to arm a crate and the 2 people it takes to arm can't be from the same squad because of squad spawn. or they could just defend better...

Then what do you suggest to "fix Rush" while "fixing the skill gap." As it is, the skill gap is still there right now. C4/ATing the Crates and winning the game in 10 mins is going to happen, guaranteed, with most level 50 clantards if they are organized. I'm sure those same level 50 clantards could arm the crate and hold it with their organization. "Skill balance" has nothing to do with toning down the big blinking marquee sign that is saying "HEY, PLACE C4/AT ON THE CRATE! IT GIVES YOU MORE POINTS THAN ARMING AND HOLDING!"

Drastic

I played again last night after having put the game down for months.

I only played squad dm, some hc and some regular since I had only played it a couple times. I talked a couple of buds into joining me who also hadn't played for a while.

1) My friends and I could only play 1 full game together through joining several as one or two of us would randomly drop from ea servers. Even happened to me after my friends gave up.

2) The hit detection/lag or whatever the hell is wrong with this game is why I left it. I see they have made no improvements. Maybe worse now, especially since the game is less popular.

3) The game setup system is still garbage. Uneven squads throughout the night. How hard is it to code this to re-pool even teams between rounds? And why in the hell do I join the same game half the time I quit (at the round start) and join a new session?

4) Half the time we won, the screen said we lost and vice versa. The "your team has gained/lost the lead" repeatedly when we never had the lead or have had it for several minutes, totally inaccurate and annoying.

I guess hoping for better hit detection and game session setup is asking too much of a dev who can't even get stuff right like elementary, junior level coding for who actually won the game, and when or not your team is actually in the lead.

I understand lag is sometimes just part of gaming and have to deal with it, and it's a given that EA servers just suck - they always have. However the other stuff is just inexcusable.

</rant> ah, I feel better.

I still say put the damage points back to what they were before, stop AT mine damage (like they did in BFBC1), and while leaving the actual arms points the same, give the armer massive bonus points if the objective is destroyed that way.

It won't stop some people from C4ing but I think it will give most people an incentive to actually arm the objectives in preference to C4'ing them.

TheSeks

endlessflood said:
I still say put the damage points back to what they were before, stop AT mine damage (like they did in BFBC1), and while leaving the actual arms points the same, give the armer massive bonus points if the objective is destroyed that way.

It won't stop some people from C4ing but I think it will give most people an incentive to actually arm the objectives in preference to C4'ing them.

Which is pretty much what I'm saying. There has to be an INCENTIVE to do arms/disarms over just blowing the damn thing and everyone going home.

Drastic said:
I played again last night after having put the game down for months.

I only played squad dm, some hc and some regular since I had only played it a couple times. I talked a couple of buds into joining me who also hadn't played for a while.

1) My friends and I could only play 1 full game together through joining several as one or two of us would randomly drop from ea servers. Even happened to me after my friends gave up.
no idea what's up with that, haven't noticed that problem.

2) The hit detection/lag or whatever the hell is wrong with this game is why I left it. I see they have made no improvements. Maybe worse now, especially since the game is less popular.
other than the knife and shotguns, i haven't really noticed any hit detection problems. horrible lag, i haven't seen that very much in months... and that includes when i play on australian/asian servers in the mornings with endlessflood and his aussie posse

3) The game setup system is still garbage. Uneven squads throughout the night. How hard is it to code this to re-pool even teams between rounds? And why in the hell do I join the same game half the time I quit (at the round start) and join a new session?
ah, the inevitable dilemma of how to handle matchmaking. you split up squads, people will be upset and complain, you leave teams uneven and use matchmaking to try and fill spots, people will be upset and complain.

4) Half the time we won, the screen said we lost and vice versa. The "your team has gained/lost the lead" repeatedly when we never had the lead or have had it for several minutes, totally inaccurate and annoying.
i still can't believe they broke that with the last update. i seriously wonder how the hell they managed to do that when it worked fine before!

I guess hoping for better hit detection and game session setup is asking too much of a dev who can't even get stuff right like elementary, junior level coding for who actually won the game, and when or not your team is actually in the lead.

I understand lag is sometimes just part of gaming and have to deal with it, and it's a given that EA servers just suck - they always have. However the other stuff is just inexcusable.

</rant> ah, I feel better.
hey, ranting is great stress relief. can't ever be overrated.

G_Berry

Banned
People are still complaining about using C4 to blow the objectives?

How about defend your objectives? It takes time to get in and plant all the C4 so if you leave you objective unguarded long enough for it to happen then it's your own fault.

olimpia84

G_Berry said:

How about defend your objectives? It takes time to get in and plant all the C4 so if you leave you objective unguarded long enough for it to happen then it's your own fault.

Easier said than done,

Wthermans

Banned
G_Berry said:

Not so much. Have 2 snipers lay down mortars on the building, rush in and C4. Easy as pie and enjoy your eleventy billion points for cheesing the game.

Massa

SonOfABeep said:
I felt like every match in this game was so lopsided, either complete failure or total domination of the other team. No back and forth or competition. It's probably just as bad or worse now that people have more experience.

I played the game back when it came out but soon after that my PS3 had the YLOD and I ended up selling it. (funny fact: the only reason I even got into Bad Company 2 is that my PS3 stopped reading discs shortly after the demo came out and it was literally the only thing I could play - I got addicted).

I got the game again a week ago and I've been having more fun with it than I ever had before, it's like a completely different game. The number of people who don't know what the hell they're doing is down significantly and the game is much more enjoyable. For example, back then people wouldn't even mark enemies with Select/Back, today I find mostly everyone does that.

Of course some games will be uneven and it annoyed the crap out of me back then but even that is not *as* annoying these days: when it happens it's because the other team is better organized instead of being that you ended up matched with idiots who keep rocket spammimg their own MCOM stations to kill the enemies.

The game has so many awesome unique moments that it's totally worth it (being in cover inside a building that has its walls blown up is the most basic one but it still does it for me :lol ). Besides, getting in and out of matches is super quick, in my experience you can pick any game mode and map and the game will find a match within seconds.

TheSeks

G_Berry said:
How about defend your objectives?

Eaiser said than done.

It takes time to get in and plant all the C4

No it doesn't.

*see ATV/Humvee/Helicopter/UAV*

OH HAI THERE!

*slap slap slap slap slap slap 6 C4*

"HEY, ED! SLAP SOME C4 ON HERE AS WELL!"

*slap slap slap slap slap slap slap C4*

"Hey, Ed. Stay here and wait until you see me near A/B and then blow it!"
"LOL KAY!"

*VROOM VROOM!*

(A/B)

*BOOM!*

OBJECTIVE ALPHA/BRAVO HAS BEEN DESTROYED!

so if you leave you objective unguarded long enough for it to happen then it's your own fault.

See above. It's not our own damn fault if they are able to rush with C4 on a vehicle and you can't do a damn thing to stop it. I'd agree if they were near the objective and laying the C4 on. But most of the maps you can suicide/jihad ATV/Humvee and win the game in a matter of minutes through C4'ing the vehicles and rushing them to the objectives.

Edit:

"B-B-BUT ANTI-TANK MINE--"

No. You have six of them. Your team has six of them. Getting your team to place mines everywhere isn't going to happen. If it does mines everywhere will not stop some places that people can get through to C4 the crate.

"B-B-BUT PUT THE MINES NEAR THE OBJECTIV--"

And have our crate be blown by the C4 detonating (if close to the crate, hell explosive + will also damage the crate pretty well not even near the crate) + AT mine damage (if close to the crate + explosive damage up).

Rushing vehicles with C4 to the crates is the problem. Not the C4 itself.

Drastic

The Faceless Master said:
ah, the inevitable dilemma of how to handle matchmaking. you split up squads, people will be upset and complain, you leave teams uneven and use matchmaking to try and fill spots, people will be upset and complain.

What's the dilemma with this situation:
Squad A - 4 players
Squad B - 2
Squad C - 1 (me)

Why is it a problem to combine squads B&C? I saw similar opportunities many, many times.

Better yet, why not re-poll the matchmaking servers to make full games instead this half full crap, which is the situation on who knows how many sessions. I played for several hours, got booted a few times, searched for new games a few times. I think we had 3 full squads once.

Wthermans

Banned
Drastic said:
Squad A - 4 players
Squad B - 2
Squad C - 1 (me)

Why is it a problem to combine squads B&C? I saw similar opportunities many, many times.

Better yet, why not re-poll the matchmaking servers to make full games instead this half full crap, which is the situation on who knows how many sessions. I played for several hours, got booted a few times, searched for new games a few times. I think we had 3 full squads once.
The best is to have 3 players max in each squad. Squad hopping = win.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
How well can i expect this to run on a 4850, Q8200 with 4GB of RAM @ 1440X900?

Drastic said:
Squad A - 4 players
Squad B - 2
Squad C - 1 (me)

if you can't join squad B, it's set to private. now, if your complaint is about the ability of the squad starter to set the squad to private, that's a whole other issue...

re-poll and merge two low population game sessions into one? how often would they poll? then there's the host migration issues, latency issues from switching users to servers at a different location. and of course, there will always be games that aren't full as the server population rises and falls throughout the peak and off-peak hours. i mean, it's doable, and could be nice if done well, but it's a lot of extra work to solve a minor problem.

and of course, people will be upset if they get pulled out of their winning session into a losing session...

1)
Played 4 games with revolutionary, dubbin and a new kid today.
Team sucked in the sense that no one wanted to go near M-Coms, regardless if it's to arm or disarm...*sigh*

2)
PS3 been crashing every other game or so...I guess I'm getting the YLOD soon *sigh*

3)
Is it just me or more and more people are going back to using the AN-94 and M60?
(ah can't wait to get that shameful M60 off of my top 3 list)

G_Berry said:

You can't watch both M-COMs at the same time.
It takes almost as much time to set 6 C4 as arming it and you can do it while you arm.
Landmines enough said on that
Can't always be looking at the sky for UAV C4 when you got tanks and foot soldiers to take care of.
Like one guy can protect a whole M-COM. I've been overrunned by a group of 3+ all the time only to see them C4 the M-COM to 1 shot it.

A lot of us knows it's unbalance that's why it's constantly discussed. It's harder done then said especially towards clans that do nothing but those tactics.

If you click on random stats on bfbcs or even the official ea bc2 forum, you'll find that 4 out of 10 times - people have ridiculously unbalance w/l stats.

The #1 guy on bfbcs' PS3 leaderboard has a w/l staff of this:

ats
Name Wins Loss W/L Ratio
Attacker 3 606 104 34.67
Defender 197 1659 0.12

The same applies to the 4th, 6th, 10th player.

So honestly, I don't know...but it seems like a good deal of people just don't know how to defend or don't even bother defending anymore.

I've also noticed that big advocates of UAV-C4/Anti-mine/C4-superspam usually fall under this category.

Again, only applies to ps3 bfbcs and ea bc2 forum.

Crakatak187 said:
The way you can really tell is the Score per Minute. +300 score per minute is pretty ridiculous. Unless they are also chopper whores.

AH-64 Apache air 282h 39m 25s 24 693Kills
MI-28 Havoc air 238h 56m 32s 21 215Kills

chopper whores indeed...

Eternal Sleeper said:
If you click on random stats on bfbcs or even the official ea bc2 forum, you'll find that 4 out of 10 times - people have ridiculously unbalance w/l stats.

ats
Name Wins Loss W/L Ratio
Attacker 3 606 104 34.67
Defender 197 1659 0.12

The same applies to the 4th, 6th, 10th player.

So honestly, I don't know...but it seems like a good deal of people just don't know how to defend or don't even bother defending anymore.

I've also noticed that big advocates of UAV-C4/Anti-mine/C4-superspam usually fall under this category.

Again, only applies to ps3 bfbcs and ea bc2 forum.

remember, all that atacama desert chopper whoring in conquest skews the stats, since a conquest win counts as a win on attack, but a conquest loss counts as a loss on defense.

Chopper whores is another reason why VADS get's a thumbs up for me in killing power. The flipping choppers can go away though. If only there was one in Port Valdez Rush and Isla Rush :lol

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Eternal Sleeper said:

ats
Name Wins Loss W/L Ratio
Attacker 3 606 104 34.67
Defender 197 1659 0.12
The win/loss stats don't help because of the conquest win/loss issue. Dice increased the points for a reason - I'm assuming because the stats in rush were heavily skewed towards defenders - and they wanted to encourage more active attempts to take objectives.

Eternal Sleeper said:
1)
Played 4 games with revolutionary, dubbin and a new kid today.
Team sucked in the sense that no one wanted to go near M-Coms, regardless if it's to arm or disarm...*sigh*

Lawdy had an awesome entrance on Nelson Bay. The B building on the first set was almost destroyed so I fire an RPG at it....Destroy object, D 2.0, D2.0, D2.0, triple kill......3 secs later...D 2.0 :lol :lol

I'm just trying to plat the M60 :lol Really though I see why it is a great gun to stop and shoot with,though I prefer the PKM for running and gunning and the MG36 for sounding so beastly.:D

Re: defending against C4.

It isn't easy as "defend the objectives" because as a defender the first goal is to hold the line against the attackers getting in you base. Once the attackers push through then you defend the crates and your spawn points. When some nub comes in starts C4ing, if the team just stands around the crates then you give away the base to the attackers and it becomes a meat-grinder for the defenders. Just sayin "DEFEND" is useless because you need to defend your base from the attackers so they don't spawn camp and steal all of your turrets/ vehicles and just smash you.

Also tank mines ARE a problem because there is no counter to them, you CAN shoot the C4 planter and the C4 goes away but you CAN'T make the AT mines go away. It is broken and a loop hole for the attackers to guarantee crate damage.

EDIT: And some Pimp-age

olimpia84 said:
I found a new favorite weapon: the USAS-12.
Sooo good, especially in White Pass.
i love using the Saiga and USAS-12 as a recon in the final B on Nelson Bay and Port Valdez. double tubes for 12 shots of buckshot spam, motion sensors spammed everywhere.

X-Frame

Just started playing this game today and while I think it's very fun it's entirely dependent upon your squad.

If you've got a good, mixed squad with [a] Medic(s) that will revive you and continually throw out health boxes, Scout's that spam their motion sensors and Engineer's that keep the vehicles nice and healthy you will run over people.

I just got out of a game where every squad I tried to switch to were camping Recon snipers. I mean like, sitting right next to each other basically at their spawn. I infiltrated and actually blew up several bombs in Rush by myself but we couldn't win against a team who actually played smart.

Even MAG is less dependent upon your personal squad because there's 8 of you plus so many people on the field, even if you have a shitty one you an still dominate. BFBC2 relies so much on squads, which is even worse since I can't even talk to my whole team - just the retard camping snipers.

dralla

the majority of games i play I'm on a good squad. the game has been out a while and most of the 'newbs' have moved on to something else.

started using the XM8 LMG with 4x scope and it's pretty damn good, best LMG set up for me by far. I wish they'd give the medic another special ability besides revive though. Engineers get RL, Tank mines or C4 to chose from. Medics should have some options too.

speaking of medics, conquest on Nelson Bay is medic heaven. there's not enough cover for snipers, not enough buildings or vehicles for engineers, so everyone picks medic.

X-Frame

I am enjoying the M60 with the RDS or 4X Scope. Has a smaller clip but I've gotten several 4-6 kill spree's with 1 clip when clearing a room with an MCOM or something. Very powerful.

The SAW is super accurate though and I love using it with the 4X Scope. Haven't used any other class yet - want to "master" the Medic first.

X-Frame said:
Just started playing this game today and while I think it's very fun it's entirely dependent upon your squad.

If you've got a good, mixed squad with [a] Medic(s) that will revive you and continually throw out health boxes, Scout's that spam their motion sensors and Engineer's that keep the vehicles nice and healthy you will run over people.

I just got out of a game where every squad I tried to switch to were camping Recon snipers. I mean like, sitting right next to each other basically at their spawn. I infiltrated and actually blew up several bombs in Rush by myself but we couldn't win against a team who actually played smart.

Even MAG is less dependent upon your personal squad because there's 8 of you plus so many people on the field, even if you have a shitty one you an still dominate. BFBC2 relies so much on squads, which is even worse since I can't even talk to my whole team - just the retard camping snipers.

Yeah, the game is way super fun when people work as a team. Don't fret too much on the recons that are clueless. It's not their fault, I'm sure if you look in their gamer history you'll see MW2 in there. They are broken players but they've made the first step to recovery and are playing BC2.

If you get into a game with too many recons, just back out and pick a different map. They will only hurt the team and make your experience not so good but they will learn. They will learn or they will stop playing the game.... but don't let it get you down. Sounds like you have a good grasp on the game so far.

dralla

there's barely any recoil on the XM8 though. M60 and SAW jump around like mad with the 4x. SAW/Red Dot is my other medic load out

TheSeks

Hellcrow said:
G3 + motion mines = Awesome.

C4 is also a nice bonus. Feels like I can take on everything.

Until you run out of ammo.

TheSeks

OldJadedGamer said:
Kill an Assault, grab their kit and throw an ammo box then pick up your kit again and keep rolling.

Why do that when I can C4/G3 AND RELOAD MYSELF as an assault.

I lose the motion mines, but who really uses those? No one does. That's who.

TheSeks

dralla said:
no one uses motion mines? :lol you mean the most useful item in the game, yea no one uses those!

They don't. It's really REALLY rare to see a recon using them.

Like... 80% of recons don't use them. The other 20% do, but it's never a "ZOMG MUST TOSS OUT" item.

dralla said:
no one uses motion mines? :lol you mean the most useful item in the game, yea no one uses those!

:lol
I've been making it a practice to whenever I find a recon kit to pick it up and toss a motion ball. Baffles me recons don't use it.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
TheSeks said:
They don't. It's really REALLY rare to see a recon using them.

Like... 80% of recons don't use them. The other 20% do, but it's never a "ZOMG MUST TOSS OUT" item.

They're absolutely crucial to winning Nelson Bay rush on defense. Gather your whole team up at the last Bravo objective and you actually stand a chance of winning.

UFRA said:
Crak, gonna be on tonight. I'm up for some BC2 if you're on later. Probably around 8-9PM your time.
Alright. I'll be on around 7ish my time if nobody is using the tv which is most likely.

Yeah with motion sensor and the whole team packed into Bravo it's like a impenetrable fortress.

TheSeks

Pankaks said:
They're absolutely crucial to winning Nelson Bay rush on defense. Gather your whole team up at the last Bravo objective and you actually stand a chance of winning.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I know of their usefulness. But playing in public/non-GAF squadded matches, I have yet to run into ANYONE willingly using them unless I prod them to use it. It's stupid.

know what's terrible?

when the attacking team is trying to spawn camp you, you escape,and sneak into the enemy camp and then the rest of your squad spawns at the base.

wtf guys?

OldJadedGamer said:
Kill an Assault, grab their kit and throw an ammo box then pick up your kit again and keep rolling.
yeah, now that everyone is trying to C4, i never run out of ammo, assault kits everywhere!

The most terrible thing that happens a lot to me is an attacking team not leaving base and getting spawn camped afterwards.

I see that I instant quit :lol

TheSeks said:
Oh, don't get me wrong. I know of their usefulness. But playing in public/non-GAF squadded matches, I have yet to run into ANYONE willingly using them unless I prod them to use it. It's stupid.
i've noticed that as soon as i start throwing them and people start getting kills, the other recons start throwing them, it's hilarious how that works...

Top Bottom