• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
O MY GAHD. These scores are better than I expected. Please let this translate into at least DECENT sales FFS. This game deserves to sell well.

So... Serious question and situation gaf. I have the Playstaion TV preordered and ready to pick up tomorrow ($108). I am considering cancelling this preorder and using it to purchase a WiiU before next week. situation is I want the PS TV. I wanted it since it was announced as a Vita TV overseas. Also wanted a WiiU as well.

Question here:

Should I cancel the preorder and put it towards a WiiU, or should I just be patient and grab a WiiU when it gets a bit cheaper?

farisr

Awesome, I'm going to have an action game overload at the end of this month, I haven't played Bayonetta 1, so will be playing that first thanks to the included copy.

Just need to get a pro controller before then.

J-Skee

In Wii Mode, the Wii U basically transforms into a Wii and thus has 100% access to the Wii Shop Channel.

There's also the nifty option of streaming the TV screen to the Gamepad for Wii titles. You CANNOT use the Gamepad itself to control the games but you can use it as a screen if someone else is taking up the TV. Not the perfect solution, but it's there.

The Wii U is an amazing catch-up console because, theoretically, it offers games from at least 12 consoles. Unless I'm forgetting one. And once we get DS VC, that'll be one more.

Also, you don't have to re-buy controllers if you already did have a Wii. Pretty much everything is compatible. Games like SM3DW and Mario Kart in particular support something like SEVEN different control styles because of this fact. The one problem you may run into is non-MotionPlus Wiimotes.

How a system that offers all this at $200-$300 (refurb or new) isn't worth it is a bit baffling to me. That said, people have different opinions and different ideas of value.

If the Wii U was natively backwards compatible with Gamecube it'd easily be the GOAT Nintendo console. That's the one major thing it lacks in terms of legacy.

I always knew it was a great catch up console (I've never owned any Nintendo home console), but you just sold me completely on it. Not evem just for the legacy either. The new games look incredible as well.

Ok so it's 5:30 am and I made this.

SickChubbyBilby.gif

this is beautiful

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
So... Serious question and situation gaf. I have the Playstaion TV preordered and ready to pick up tomorrow ($108). I am considering cancelling this preorder and using it to purchase a WiiU before next week. situation is I want the PS TV. I wanted it since it was announced as a Vita TV overseas. Also wanted a WiiU as well.

Question here:

Should I cancel the preorder and put it towards a WiiU, or should I just be patient and grab a WiiU when it gets a bit cheaper?
I own both a Vita and a Wii U

Get the Wii U.

Moofers

Question here:

Do you have a vita? If yes, cancel that shit now and get your Wii U. I say this as a Vita/Ps4/WiiU owner. My Wii U is tied with my PS4 for number one console and I certainly didn't see that coming. It'll blow you away man. Get one.

If no Vita, skip the Vita tv and buy a proper Vita instead. Or a Wii U. Can't go wrong either way.

Exile20

Question here:

The chance of the Wii U dropping again is far slimmer than the vita tv dropping.

The vita tv will release soon and so they normally drop after a bit. The Wii U dropped in price a couple times and you can get one for $200 from the Nintendo store.

sense

Question here:

Get the TV as planned and wait a month closer to Black Friday and save a lot of money on the wii u(price cut likely and deals with games included).This is what I would do. U may end up saving enough to have both at around the same price.

P.s if u have a vita then go with the wii u.

impact

Banned

Question here:

Get the Wii U. Quality over quantity less quality

J-Skee

Question here:

Heh, my situation is either to get my broken PS3 fixed or get a Wii U. Both will eventually happen, just don't know which one first.

TheMoon

Holy shit, you can still play Virtual Console games even if they aren't natively compatible with the Wii U? Did not know that. Can you play GameCube discs too or am I reaching at this point?

Wait what? You really missed that the Wii U is 100% backwards compatible with everything that was on Wii (except for Gamecube because of missing memcard slots and controller ports and incompatible disc drive)?

Zomba13

lol of course Polygon would mark down a game that plays fantastically and is top of it's class because it features a woman doing "sexy" things and being too Japanese.

hohoXD123

Same metacritic as LittleBigPlanet 2, should be a great game for sure!

Not joking.

You're not making any sense. When a reviewer reviews a game, it's their opinion. You're concern as if whether it's a personal blog or not is irrevelant. The reviewer is still an individual, and their is no way to prove that his review represents anything but his own thoughts unless he co-reviewed the game or something. What some other guy thought of a game released nearly 2 years ago doesn't mean a damn thing to the guy reviewing Bayonetta 2. You'd have to be really obsessed with review scores to think so.

If Polygon were to make a direct comparison article between the 2 games, or ask all their staff which game is better, and DmC were to come out on top, then you could make the claim and flip out over what "Polygon thinks". Even if that were true (spoiler: it isn't), I don't see how that's anything to lose freak out over. But that's another story.

I believe the review content itself is written by the reviewer, however the score at the end is determined as a group.

http://www.polygon.com/pages/about-reviews

Once a review is complete, the reviewer meets with a group of senior editors to determine which score on our scale properly reflects the text as written.

To elaborate a bit further, I have a Slim Vita already. I would just like to play some games on the TV (Persona, Ys, and others)

I own both a Vita and a Wii U

Get the Wii U.

Do you have a vita? If yes, cancel that shit now and get your Wii U. I say this as a Vita/Ps4/WiiU owner. My Wii U is tied with my PS4 for number one console and I certainly didn't see that coming. It'll blow you away man. Get one.

If no Vita, skip the Vita tv and buy a proper Vita instead. Or a Wii U. Can't go wrong either way.

The chance of the Wii U dropping again is far slimmer than the vita tv dropping.

The vita tv will release soon and so they normally drop after a bit. The Wii U dropped in price a couple times and you can get one for $200 from the Nintendo store.

Get the TV as planned and wait a month closer to Black Friday and save a lot of money on the wii u(price cut likely and deals with games included).This is what I would do.

P.s if u have a vita then go with the wii u.
Get the Wii U. Quality over quantity less quality

haha damn. The vast Majority here. Okay should I get a preowned, refurbished, new from gamestop? The preorder for the Vita TV was essentially paid off completely with store credit. Only way i will get that 108 back is to get it as credit.

Heh, my situation is either to get my broken PS3 fixed or get a Wii U. Both will eventually happen, just don't know which one first.

Haha this is what I am thinking too, it is just a matter of what comes first.

J-Skee

Wait what? You really missed that the Wii U is 100% backwards compatible with everything that was on Wii (except for Gamecube because of missing memcard slots and controller ports and incompatible disc drive)?

No, I knew that. I didn't know that Virtual Console games that were only available on the Wii could still be played in Wii Mode.

Anth0ny

Question here:

You already own a Vita?

Buy a Wii U from here.

To elaborate a bit further, I have a Slim Vita already. I would just like to play some games on the TV (Persona, Ys, and others)

haha damn. The vast Majority here. Okay should I get a preowned, refurbished, new from gamestop? The preorder for the Vita TV was essentially paid off completely with store credit. Only way i will get that 108 back is to get it as credit.

incase no one saw it above in the insane quote reply.

Sou Da

You know in light of these reviews I'm going to actually buy my friend a WiiU, his P* thirst isn't strong enough to overwhelm his cheapness.

Haha this is what I am thinking too, it is just a matter of what comes first.

Get the new Super Mario 3D World bundle?

godofrawr

Banned
I believe the review content itself is written by the reviewer, however the score at the end is determined as a group.

http://www.polygon.com/pages/about-reviews

I wouldn't read too deeply into that. Keep in mind that Gies is the Reviews lead at Polygon. No one was going to question is score, even before you take into consideration that he'd be preaching to a bunch of like-minded people.

It's not so much the score that got me... the review can be boiled down to the following:

"Great game, but I have to score it lower than average because faux-sexism-outrage and clicks"

Wynnebeck

Banned
Thanks to them we have a phenomenal game to enjoy, that in itself deserves praise.

It sure doesn't hurt to have "10" games on your console.

It never hurts to have a critically acclaimed game. However this is going to behind of those critical darlings that doesn't sell as wel people hope.

How long was I asleep? Is it december 2014 already? My god.

As mentioned before. The game isn't going to sell a great number. It's a sequel to an already polarizing game that sold barely over 1 million between both the 360 and PS3 coming exclusively to an even smaller fan base. If the game sells over 500K this year, I'd be pleasantly surprised.

This is a review thread not a sales thread. Is this even necessary? Even if the game does bomb, I'm still going to enjoy it.

The reviews and sales go hand in hand. The great reviews should in turn get more people to buy a Wii U increasing chances for Platinum to do business with them again in a perfect world. Whether it happens remains to be seen.

SerTapTap

I was never before aware a game could be "too japanese", suddenly I'm seeing that left and right. That's...an incredibly terrible "criticism" and more or less blatantly racist. If you want to say "it relies on blah trope which is over represented in japanese media" sure, but "too japanese", piss off.

Curufinwe

I was never before aware a game could be "too japanese", suddenly I'm seeing that left and right. That's...an incredibly terrible "criticism" and more or less blatantly racist. If you want to say "it relies on blah trope which is over represented in japanese media" sure, but "too japanese", piss off.

You should read the IGN Reviews editor's twitter page:

@DanStapleton

Twix

According to the aggregated Metacritic score Bayonetta 2 is almost as good as Uncharted 3 (91 vs 92), so how come many people call it "Wii u's first true classic" when Uncharted 3 is still considred a letdown by the masses?

I don't get it.

I loved the demo and thought it was one of the most impressive things I played this year.
preorder for the special edition is out. i just hope amazon uk is fast. I want to finish both Bayos till Toad arrives.

Have fun then because this game is going to bomb and bomb hard.

YOU want it to bomb. Are you still bitter that it is WiiU only?
I don't even get why though because afair you stated that you do own a WiiU. and still only negativity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom