• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timeaisis

Oh, Polygon.

Not that 7.5 it's bad, let's remember that's a decent score. But to fault a game for being too sexualized is like reviewing a gory horror movie and knocking it for being too scary or too bloody. Get someone who's on board with the premise to review the damn game.

Noobcraft

According to the aggregated Metacritic score Bayonetta 2 is almost as good as Uncharted 3 (91 vs 92), so how come many people call it "Wii u's first true classic" when Uncharted 3 is still considred a letdown by the masses?

I don't get it.
Uncharted 3 was worse than Uncharted 2, that's why it was a letdown.

hohoXD123

9cFJq0Y.png

Reading through Gies' twitter after each shit review is always amusing.

Curufinwe

Oh, Polygon.

Not that 7.5 it's bad, let's remember that's a decent score. But to fault a game for being too sexualized is like reviewing a gory horror movie and knocking it for being too scary or too bloody. Get someone who's on board with the premise to review the damn game.

Gies has been negative about every Japanese action games that wasn't Ninja Gaiden. Bayonetta, DMC, Vanquish, God Hand... he hasn't really liked any of them.

He once claimed a God Hand conspiracy was the reason Vanquish received generally high review scores. Sexuality or no sexuality, Polygon was always going to have one of the lowest scores for Bayonetta 2. Gies has to counter the conspiracy, after all.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410023&page=40

According to the aggregated Metacritic score Bayonetta 2 is almost as good as Uncharted 3 (91 vs 92), so how come many people call it "Wii u's first true classic" when Uncharted 3 is still considred a letdown by the masses?

I don't get it.

"Letdown" is compared to its splendid prequel, U3 is a fantastic game by itself, only its metascore are inflated a bit by the reputation of its predecessor.

AdanVC

I'm literally ready to go outside and give flyers announcing to buy a Wii U with Bayonetta 2 to everyone on the streets. We can ask some supermodels like Lara Stone or Barbara Palvin to cosplay Bayonetta while advertising everywhere hahaha. Sighhhh :( Hope it sells welllll damn it!

Blizzard

Banned
GAMESPOT GAVE IT A 10??
Wow.
I was curious and checked back. Bayonetta 1 got an 8 (PS3 version technical issues) and 9 (360 version) from Gamespot, so it would make sense they could give this a 10 if it's better.

However, the reviewer is different this time.

LoveCake

Those are some high scores !

I just wonder what the sales will be though & if it will help shift WiiU's?

I am glad i went for the First Print Edition now.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
!#@$##@!!! I'm very excited for this -- the demo amped up my excitement even more, and now these reviews! Hell yes, good times for all (well, Wii U owners at least).

JZA

If I could go back in time 1 year and tell everyone that Bayonetta 2's metacritic score will out-score Titanfall, Watchdogs, Alien Isolation, AND Destiny, I would've been laughed at. Now, I'm really hoping this eventually makes it to other non-Wii platforms.

Astral Dog

It never hurts to have a critically acclaimed game. However this is going to behind of those critical darlings that doesn't sell as wel people hope.

As mentioned before. The game isn't going to sell a great number. It's a sequel to an already polarizing game that sold barely over 1 million between both the 360 and PS3 coming exclusively to an even smaller fan base. If the game sells over 500K this year, I'd be pleasantly surprised.

The reviews and sales go hand in hand. The great reviews should in turn get more people to buy a Wii U increasing chances for Platinum to do business with them again in a perfect world. Whether it happens remains to be seen.

So, just like the first game then? Whats wrong with you?

And Oh my God!
I honestly was expecting slighty lower scores than the first game on Metacritic.Like an 87-89, because its not as fresh, the platform,
slighty weaker ending
, sales, etc.

But it seems Platinum/Hashimoto delivered a sequel worthy of the name, that should be a case to celebrate:)!

Twix

"Letdown" is compared to its splendid prequel, U3 is a fantastic game by itself, only its metascore are inflated a bit by the reputation of its predecessor.

I would argue that Bayonetta 2 metacritic score is a bit inflated by the lack of true classics on the Wii U.

Good lord, those are a lot of 10s. Hope it translates into sales. No, I couldn't type that with a straight face.
I can't help but allow myself to dream, though

If I could go back in time 1 year and tell everyone that Bayonetta 2's metacritic score will out-score Titanfall, Watchdogs, Alien Isolation, AND Destiny, I would've been laughed at. Now, I'm really hoping this eventually makes it to other non-Wii platforms.
As has been said millions of times already, it's not coming to non nintendo platforms. Nintendo paid for development and production of this game. If you want bayo 2, you buy a wii u-it's that simple. It blows my mine that this is still a thing.

I don't get it.

Perhaps because a high Metacritic score doesn't make a game 'a classic'.

Critics can be wrong.

I would argue that Bayonetta 2 metactatic score is a bit inflated by the lack of true classics on the Wii U.

Ah. I was wondering what conspiracy theory people would come up with for this. btw what are the true classics on PS4 and XBone that are deflating the scores of their exclusives?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I would argue that Bayonetta 2 metactatic score is a bit inflated by the lack of true classics on the Wii U.

Eh Wii has 2 games above 90 Metacritic 4 games in general around 85-95. As far as well received games go it's hardly doing badly. (Of course there's not many games in general for the system).

Brqan

You should ask for mario and zelda while your at it.

Astral Dog

I would argue that Bayonetta 2 metacritic score is a bit inflated by the lack of true classics on the Wii U.

Shit.
i wouldnt compare Bayonetta 2 to games from any other genre personally, some of the best games in the genre have mid 80s, and what i played of the demo and original game, yeah, this is going to be good.

About the scores, if anything that would be a reason for critics to rate it lower, as was the case with Tropical Freeze.

Also, remember the original Bayonetta was rated highly too, so this should not be part of a conspiracy :p

This will literally never happen, unless it gets ported to a future Nintendo platform without Wii in the name.

69wpm

The crappy part of this image isn't Gies's response. Devs telling people to ignore other people's reviews is scummy as hell.

That's not what he said. Kellams said to take in all reviews and form your own opinion. Read his following tweets.

I have officially reached my mental limit of games to play at once:

Smash 3DS
Last of Us
Bravely Default
Smash Wii U
Bayonetta 1
Bayonetta 2
Destiny

My mind boggles.

I don't care if polygon gave it a 10, their site is a joke. I don't trust anything they say to be anything but a story contrived to gather the most attention and hits.

meanspartan

The crappy part of this image isn't Gies's response. Devs telling people to ignore other people's reviews is scummy as hell.

Normally, I'd agree. But when literally just about EVERY other review is WAY higher and the one reviewer scoring low has a scummy reputation, I can't give the dev too much flack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom