• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

OuterLimits

Thanks for the answers guys. I was wondering because I read an article on Forbes about how Nintendo lifting the review embargo 2 weeks early for Bayo 2 may be a bit soon.

I agree though that Nintendo usually releases quality games. Definitely risky though if a game scores poorly. That rarely happens though.

Wish it was coming out today. :( Haven't played the first game yet either, so definitely excited the first game is included as well.

StevieP

Banned
It's a holdover from how they dealt with print magazines, but it also generally works out for the best.

Not only do they have an early embargo, they gave Bayonetta 2 to a lot of outlets in mid-September.

Same day as the JPN release for the review code to the Western outlets, no? It shows confidence

random25

Well... I tried to convince this Wii u owner i was chatting to get bayonetta 2 but I failed....

The dude won't even bother to try out the eShop demo

T_T ...he only buys all the mario games and smash bros

Told me he doesn't care about " Japanese anime bullshit "

Sigh...

There's a reason this game is in the "niche" category. You got to be more in the action game genre to really give this game attention.

But the best way to convince somebody to buy this game is to show off how good this game is. Play it and show it to him/her. It's the reason why this game is such a show-off action game: to showcase how cool you'll look with the combos and such.

There's a reason this game is in the "niche" category. You got to be more in the action game genre to really give this game attention.

But the best way to convince somebody to buy this game is to show off how good this game is. Play it and show it to him/her. It's the reason why this game is such a show-off action game: to showcase how cool you'll look with the combos and such.

Yea I reckon take the game around to their house, play it for like half an hour and then proceed to deny them when they start begging to have a go.

Insta-buy next day I bet!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
okay, I did it. I did not want to buy it, but I just pre-ordered it. 45€ was just to nice a price..
I pre-ordered the game with a wii u pro controller.
edit: and i got the anime.

Bayonetta should be right up a Smash fans alley. I know it's been the most fun I've had with a demo in years. I put in a request for the 25th, so I'll have most of the day to play.

Sayter

Thanks for the answers guys. I was wondering because I read an article on Forbes about how Nintendo lifting the review embargo 2 weeks early for Bayo 2 may be a bit soon.

I agree though that Nintendo usually releases quality games. Definitely risky though if a game scores poorly. That rarely happens though.

Wish it was coming out today. :( Haven't played the first game yet either, so definitely excited the first game is included as well.

In this case Nintendo was very confident Bayonetta 2 would be received well. As far as the reviews coming out too early, it actually makes sense. People will just preorder it, and stores will have just enough time to fill those orders.

KHlover

Banned
Bayonetta should be right up a Smash fans alley. I know it's been the most fun I've had with a demo in years. I put in a request for the 25th, so I'll have most of the day to play.
I had lots of fun with the demo and will buy the game Day-1, but where do you pull the connection between Smash and Bayonetta from? I don't see why a Smash Bros. fan should inheritly like Bayonetta. Those games are nothing alike.

Point in case: Friend of mine loves Smash but has no plans to buy Bayonetta, even after playing the demo (bla anecdotal evidence bla).

Lebon14

Well... I tried to convince this Wii u owner i was chatting to get bayonetta 2 but I failed....

Sigh...

That logic is so flawed it's... unbearable. He buys a Wii U which is a Japanese product by a Japanese company. He buys Mario games? Mario games are Japanese product. He buys Super Smash Bros? That's a Japanese game... Flawed logic is flawed.

jackiechan.jpg

EDIT

Beaten by Atrarock, who said in other words with same meaning.

Monocle

Is this really considered a killer app, or is it just an excellent game?
Well, I bought a Wii U for it.

The only game I own for the system right now is The Wonderful 101, which was also made by Platinum (and also happens to be a great reason to buy a Wii U. There's nothing else like it).

ramparter

Banned

Sigh...
Pursuade him to meet for local multi 3ds, wii u whatever and then beat him good. :p

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's a holdover from how they dealt with print magazines, but it also generally works out for the best.

Not only do they have an early embargo, they gave Bayonetta 2 to a lot of outlets in mid-September.

From what we know, some European reviewers had it since AUGUST.

I brought my WiiU (with Bae's demo) to my non gaming friends..

It was glorious...their most common reaction was the full surprise (and drool) when Bae summons Ghomorah XD (HOLY SHIZZ !! IS SHE NAKED?!) (IS THAT MONSTER COMING OFF HER
Pubic hair
???)

Dang...I'm in a life or death decision right now...

Buying Wii U for bayo2(+future zelda D:) or buy PS4 for bloodborne o;

Mmmmmmm...

Wii U has lot of other good games but bloodborne is just too good to miss it :C what to do GAF.

Get a Wii U. You can get it from Nintendo for $200 and Wii U's 2015 lineup is looking better than anything else IMO. Plus, there's Wii backwards compatibility to delve into as well.

I'd honestly wait for the PS4 Slim. The first revision is always better hardware than the launch model, and I firmly believe they'll hit that $299 price point. Plus, it will allow the library to mature and PlayStation games usually see a heavier drop in price than Nintendo games.

You're looking at either $399 now or $499 over the course of 3-4 years (estimated, of course).

ASIS

The first few words in the OP made me very sad..

"Much like the character herself, the way Bayonetta 2 handles unlockables is surprisingly unconventional.''

It's a shame that we have people in the media describing what should be the norm as 'unconventional'. It just gives devs/publishers more reason to put this stuff behind a paywall if people start accepting this crap as the norm when it is not and should never be!

Oh yea btw.....awesome to see positive reviews but doesn't change that fact that this was gonna be day 1 for me the minute it was announced. Some companies just know their stuff and in Platinum Games we trust.

But it IS the norm these days. That's what the statement was all about. We need to have unlockables as they used, within the same price tag of the original copy.

Alx

You can play the games with touch-screen controls. Otherwise, no.

Missed opportunity. They could have used the screen for lollipop mixing, or to replace the shotting minigame of the first one by something better.
But then reviewers would have to give the game a 11/10. :p

If it ends up being the new Ninja Gaiden 2, that's enough for me. A flawed gem.

When Bayonetta 2 was announced, I bought a Wii U.

You spoke of NG2, so I decided to look up gameplay.

And I see that one stage is a SPITTING image of Bayo 2's Venice level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGHxvr4K37E

If you put Bayonetta in there I wouldn't have bat an eyelash! XD

ibhdatDrJgjY4J.jpg

Hypron

He IS aware of where his console and games came from right? Maybe it's just me, but Bayonetta is one of the least Japanese things I've seen/played/experienced, hell even some of Japan isn't fond of it. It's more liked overseas for various amounts of reasons.

I'm sorry but... really? It's japanese as fuck (not that I mind).

soy.

Banned

Sigh...
it was probably an internet troll, posing as a nintenfan to make wii u owners look bad.

because fanboys are not real. they're only alter egos of actually okay gamers.
they say the most ridiculous things over the internet -which they will never ever say with their own mouth, right before your face. because seriously: those things they say, are (and they do realize it) amazingly beyond retarded, with zero logic whatsoever.

besides the obvious "graphic worshiper sony" & "FPS diehard xbone" fans, the "hardcore nintendo who wouldn't touch anything but mario" are pretty common alter ego in internet forums.
as u might do, i have a lot of gamer friends from across cultures and countries. and the more i hang around with them, the less likely i could picture one of them acting as one of these outrageously stupid fanboys...

Strim

Neo Member
My god, I just found out that I can Change Weapons in the Demo, after the practice screen! Mayhem! People should be aware of this (most Demo gameplay videos dont change weapons) , too bad i only have 4 plays left :(

Kenai

I knew my gurl would bring in the 10s. Was gonna buy it Day 1 anyway, but still. can't wait to pick up this and a Wii U (and I herd Smash was maybe good too)

Ratrat

He IS aware of where his console and games came from right? Maybe it's just me, but Bayonetta is one of the least Japanese things I've seen/played/experienced, hell even some of Japan isn't fond of it. It's more liked overseas for various amounts of reasons.

I've personally had mine preordered for quite awhile and am happy to see it doing pretty well with reviewers.
Why is Bayo more overseas? Its a Japan dominated genre with Devil May Cry's DNA. This is basically the kind of game that CANT be made anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom