• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandfox

I'm surprised this game reviewed so well. It would be funny if this caused Nintendo to either try to buy Platinum or at least get them to work on a Nintendo franchise for their next platform.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I'm surprised this game reviewed so well. It would be funny if this caused Nintendo to either try to buy Platinum or at least get them to work on a Nintendo franchise for their next platform.

Not sure why people would be surprised unless they were too young in 2010 or just didnt pay attention to other platforms. Bayonetta was #4 in NeoGAF's 2010 GOTY poll, earned itself an EDGE 10, and has a Metacritic to this day of 90 (Xbox360 version).

This is the entire reason Nintendo did bother to fund its un-cancelling. And no, I hope Nintendo doesnt buy them or any platform maker either, because I want Revengeance 2. Badly.

Why? So Sega will not get a penny because of their mistake in canning it? I say they should be praised for allowing the game to be picked up by Nintendo, hell it's said that Sega were the ones who pointed Platinum to Nintendo to revive it.

Don't mind me, just don't think much of Sega anymore.

That will change in a heartbeat if another Ristar is made though.

I don't think Nintendo should buy Platinum either. Let them stay independent, if that's what they want. And let them make another Revengeance, please.

What I do hope is that they buy the Bayonetta ip. I want the franchise (and the character action genre that is all but dead) to survive and Sega won't do anything with it again. It fits Nintendo's philosophy of game design and fills a gap in their lineup, so it would make sense for them. They have shown a willingness to fund games that may not set the world on fire sales-wise, but that are well received and add more variety to their portfolio in genres that are not "classical Nintendo" (e.g. Sin and Punishment, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta, Fatal Frame, Xenoblade). Plus, they would get the most badass female in gaming and could put her in the next Smash!

Bayo 1&2 Ultimate edition 1080p 60fps with AA launch title for the Wii U successor, followed by Bayonetta 3: Ultimate Climax. *dreams*

I'll just say I'd be crazy happy if Nintendo bought Platinum, just saying. XD

More exclusives by a AAA developer. What's not to love? It'd go a LONG way to mend the 3rd-party hole.

And Spike Chunsoft if Nintendo took advantage of their shares in Dwango. But the merger with Kadokawa will likely lower the shares by default. :(

royox

More exclusives by a AAA developer. What's not to love? It'd go a LONG way to mend the 3rd-party hole.

And Spike Chunsoft if Nintendo took advantage of their shares in Dwango. But the merger with Kadokawa will likely lower the shares by default. :(

Yeah! Fuck everybody that don't like the WiiU. Leave them withouth Platinum Games like MG:Rising or Vanquish.

Hypron

Unneeded exclusives suck. And the Wii U wouldn't do MGR:R2 justice, that game needs to be designed for XBONE/PS4 (the first game was really hampered by the consoles it was developed on). I'd rather Platinum keep their freedom and work on whatever they want to.

Revenile

Nintendo should not buy platinum, I do think they should buy Bayonetta though, I think it would be a great move to have the top tier character spectacle fighter as a Nintendo adopted franchise officially. Besides, despite the more mature themes, I can kinda see her as a Nintendo stable character, not lacking on creativity and such.

Ughhhhhhh so tempted to buy a Wii U because of this game D: D: D:

iDh1vAFaEWwjS.gif

Majukun

as long as they have a choice,no one is gonna buy platinum games..the only way it could happen is if they go bankrupt,but since they are still developing games at a good rate,i don't think they are risking..at least until they decide to start making their own projects without a publisher

Akiller

Ugh you guys. Stop with the Nintendo buying Platinum jargen. Worst idea ever.

This.

Platinum wants to be indipendent,that's why it was born.

Nintendo could just keep commissioning them new projects, so we get new P* games,P* stays indipendent.Everybody wins.

I don't think Nintendo should buy Platinum either. Let them stay independent, if that's what they want. And let them make another Revengeance, please.

What I do hope is that they buy the Bayonetta ip. I want the franchise (and the character action genre that is all but dead) to survive and Sega won't do anything with it again. It fits Nintendo's philosophy of game design and fills a gap in their lineup, so it would make sense for them. They have shown a willingness to fund games that may not set the world on fire sales-wise, but that are well received and add more variety to their portfolio in genres that are not "classical Nintendo" (e.g. Sin and Punishment, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta, Fatal Frame, Xenoblade). Plus, they would get the most badass female in gaming and could put her in the next Smash!

Bayo 1&2 Ultimate edition 1080p 60fps with AA launch title for the Wii U successor, followed by Bayonetta 3: Ultimate Climax. *dreams*

100% agree with bolded. Heck, I'd be fine with them just buying co-ownership over it like they did with Fatal Frame, though I'd obviously prefer full because Sega won't do jack shit with it XP

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Why? So Sega will not get a penny because of their mistake in canning it? I say they should be praised for allowing the game to be picked up by Nintendo, hell it's said that Sega were the ones who pointed Platinum to Nintendo to revive it.

Sega should not be praised for canning games, closing their western divisions and basically making their wares inaccessible to literally everyone except in their small sphere of influence.

Also, i never heard about Sega 'pointing platinum in Nintendo's direction" from anywhere, i'd like a source on that one.

I don't blame Nintendo for bringing Bayo back to life, but i do blame Sega for killing it in the first place, there's no upside whatsoever to that kind of scenario. Am i supposed to feel bad for poor Sega who don't know how to run their own ship?

ramparter

Banned
As others said, no buying but I hope they have already given them their next project.

BBboy20

tumblr_n7eik4HWoV1skvakgo1_250.gif

I want to believe so hard, don't mess this up Nintendo.
Are those Splatoon hats?

I fixed that for you. Platinum games, like Clover games before them, don't sell well regardless of the platform and how much critical acclaim they receive. That is the sad reality.

This thread... is exactly what I expected. Sales talk, Wii U preaching, thinly veiled contempt for Nintendo, some hub bub about sexualization, salt, talk of "dude bro" shooters, polygon hating, and of course great review scores. It pretty much writes itself.
C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

WHAT THE!?

I know people already talked about it but I just saw the Bayonetta 2 commercial on Adult Swim. I really should get around to preordering it... :p My problem is I don't typically replay those games even though I have fun with them. I blame having a big backlog lol.
This might be the gaming event of the year you don't want to miss out on so...

SmokyDave

Bayonetta 2 : The best reviewed AAA game of 2014 that is not a port or an extension.
I love the lengths people need to go to in order to bolster a title that is perfectly capable of standing on its own merits.

Bayonetta 2: The best reviewed AAA Wii U game with a lady on the cover wearing heels developed by Platinum that comes with the first game packed in please don't pay attention to TLoU or GTA5.

Mohonky

I love the lengths people need to go to in order to bolster a title that is perfectly capable of standing on its own merits.

Bayonetta 2: The best reviewed AAA Wii U game with a lady on the cover wearing heels developed by Platinum that comes with the first game packed in please don't pay attention to TLoU or GTA5.

Not sure what the lady on the cover of a platinum game has to do with the quality of a game or its ranking in GoTY. But yeh, if a remaster of a game from last year takes out that title I would be more than a little miffed.

Mind you I have pretty much disagreed with every GoTY for some time now. Its usually 'who had the most cinematic hyped game of the year' competition.

Revenile

Oh my goodness the Gamespot scene just got better, I'm physically laughing about how things are going down now. Gamespot wrote up a piece listing all 7 games that have gotten a 10/10 rating and a bit of insight on how games get such a high reward (as well as their idea on what a 10 actually means as it has changed throughout the years) and the comments are even more priceless than in the actual review for Bayo 2.

Here's a piece of gold from it:
"Bayonetta 2 did NOT deserve a 10. That is the real point of this article. Justification. It may be a good game but 10 is supposed to be phenomenal. The reviewer was a fanboy (look at the bio on the article) who gave WAY too high a score. FYI I have played this at a friend's. Again it isn't bad but it isn't amazing either."

What is your problem? I don't think those posts are 100% serious anyway. Why do you lurk in a thread about a game you have no interest in and will not play anyway, just to jump out of the shadows and scream "no" when the catchphrase "GOTY" appears. If I look through the last pages those posts are your only contributions here. So what if some people think that a game of the year should actually have come out in that year? It's not called "game of last year" for a reason. If it makes you feel any better I don't think a niche game like Bayonetta has a chance of being GOTY on many mainstream sites anyway.

Sega should not be praised for canning games, closing their western divisions and basically making their wares inaccessible to literally everyone except in their small sphere of influence.

Sega literally just published Alien Isolation, and are a top tier PC developer.
Sorry, that still counts as both having western studios and publishing games in the west.

KooopaKid

Banned

What lengths? It's simply the best reviewed AAA game of the year so far and deservedly so. I just don't want to see smartasses mentioning TLOU or GTAV this year. They were the best last year. No remake should win GOTY.

Nibel

Then put up a short list of scores that contradicts the assertions you quoted or stop complaining. That's the best way to make those people shut up.

SmokyDave

What is your problem? I don't think those posts are 100% serious anyway. Why do you lurk in a thread about a game you have no interest in and will not play anyway, just to jump out of the shadows and scream "no" when the catchphrase "GOTY" appears. If I look through the last pages those posts are your only contributions here. So what if some people think that a game of the year should actually have come out in that year? It's not called "game of last year" for a reason. If it makes you feel any better I don't think a niche game like Bayonetta has a chance of being GOTY on many mainstream sites anyway.

What lengths? It's simply the best reviewed AAA game of the year so far and deservedly so. I just don't want to see smartasses mentioning TLOU or GTAV this year. They were the best last year. No remake should win GOTY.
Why are you wailing about game of the year?

Your shrill rants have nothing to do with my post, nor the post I quoted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom