• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

KooopaKid

Banned
People are just happy Bayonetta 2 turned out well. It's been a rollercoaster ride of ridiculousness since the game was announced, so seeing the universal praise from critics validates Nintendo's decision to fund the game. Just let people be happy and enjoy the game.

Exactly. I'm just happy than Bayonetta 2 is the best AAA reviewed game this year because I predicted it would be universally acclaimed and it's always nice to be right.
The question is why SmokeyDave felt the need to ruin the party? I was not even hyperbolic.

Mlatador

Banned
By the way, does anyone know how to get platinium (in combo points) in the first part of the demo? The enemies keep on dying too fast. I feel the first half of the first section is key, but I can't get my combo multiplier up to more than 6x or so. In the second half of the first section is it's no problem to maintain 9.99x but it still isn't enough to get platinium.

OryoN

I don't think it fits the general definition of AAA either. I guess it's a niche AAA game, or Platinum Game's AAA title. ;-)

I remembered when "AAA" actually related to the overall production & design quality of a game rather than huge bloated budgets coupled with a ton of hype. A lot sure have changed over the years.

*sigh*

Laconic

Banned
I remembered when "AAA" actually related to the overall production & design quality of a game rather than huge bloated budgets coupled with a ton of hype. A lot sure have changed over the years.

*sigh*

I know, right?

I remember that too.

I also remember when gamers cared more about the former than the latter, as well.

Kouriozan

By the way, does anyone know how to get platinium (in combo points) in the first part of the demo? The enemies keep on dying too fast. I feel the first half of the first section is key, but I can't get my combo multiplier up to more than 6x or so. In the second half of the first section is it's no problem to maintain 9.99x but it still isn't enough to get platinium.

The cheap way : spin to win.

Riposte

*sigh*
I question what you remember. AAA has always been a nebulous (and unnecessary) buzzword.

Adaren

Haven't played the demo, but I've been writing a Combo System page on the Bayonetta wiki. It's based off Bayonetta 1, but I assume the same core principles and tips apply.

Can't link easily since I'm on mobile, but you should be able to find it easily enough.

Riki

*sigh*

It seems that, today, most people use AAA to refer to big budget games and blockbuster games. AAA does no longer refer to "design quality" as demonstrated by the mostly lackluster and bland AAA titles, that have been released on current gen so far.

Mr. X

It seems that, today, most people use AAA to refer to big budget games and blockbuster games. AAA does no longer refer to "design quality" as demonstrated by the mostly lackluster and bland AAA titles, that have been released on current gen so far.

It was always a term referring to cost as far as I can remember.

Mogwai

Wow. I remembered Bayonetta 1 as a great game. But somehow I only played through it once.

Playing the demo of Bayo 2 and it just clicks from the get go, once again. Witch time is awesome. The action on screen is awesome. The QTEs are awesome.

Dang it, I'm getting both for the Wii U ASAP.

*sigh*

I don't ever remember this. I don't remember AAA ever being used as a term until the industry reached the point that the bloated productions they describe became the norm. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I always think of it as a PR buzzword invented so companies could differentiate their Guaranteed Summer Blockbusters from the rest of the chaff released every year.

Coppanuva

So this seems like as good a place as any to ask, I'm in an argument on another forum about whether or not we knew Bayo2 physical was going to come with an actual disc of Bayo1 vs a download code in the US. Apparently it's now confirmed we'll get a physical disk (which is awesome), but I was under the impression that until very recently we did were told it was a digital code for Bayo1 not a disc, was I completely misinformed or not?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
One BILLION combos!

Review scores are a hit and a miss. Tropical Freeze is the best game of 2014, has the best video game soundtrack ever, and is the greatest 2D platformer ever yet has a 83 metacritic.

Sometimes our opinions align with the reviewers. Sometimes they don't. Life goes on.

Riki

So this seems like as good a place as any to ask, I'm in an argument on another forum about whether or not we knew Bayo2 physical was going to come with an actual disc of Bayo1 vs a download code in the US. Apparently it's now confirmed we'll get a physical disk (which is awesome), but I was under the impression that until very recently we did were told it was a digital code for Bayo1 not a disc, was I completely misinformed or not?
It was a huge case of people overreacting to what low level reps say rather than waiting for actual information.

I do believe in the original reveal of the Bayo 1 inclusion and Nintendo Costume inclusion from the E3 Nintendo Direct, the picture on the boxart of the game had the "Bayo 1 Included" sticker on it. It had always been my impression that the disk was included, but impressions are impressions. I'm still not entirely used to console games being on anything but disks.

Gamespot comments continuing to be endlessly entertaining. I don't think this is gonna stop for a while.

Revenile

The TV add shows one disc for each.

OryoN

I question what you remember. AAA has always been a nebulous (and unnecessary) buzzword.

You'd have to go back quite a few years(not just 5, nor even 10) to see the stark contrast in how the term was used. However nebulous it became over more recent years, there's certainly a distinction to be observed if you go back - or remembered - far enough. One such distinction is that; the terms was used a lot when speaking of games that were already released - not often games in the making - emphasizing the actual production & design quality of a finished product, as apposed to hyped big-budget hopes and dreams.

wildfire

Banned

wildfire

Banned
I LOVE Bayonetta, but this "the best reviewed game" stuff is stupid. It's actually the first time I see this statement on GAF. Dark Souls 2 also has a score of 91 on metacritic, but that's not my point. My point is, who the fuck cares if Bayo 2 is highest rated game in 2014 with one or two more points in MC score than other games? Since when does GAF cares about those stuff? Just enjoy the goddamn game. Seriously, this is the first time I see the "THIS GAME HAS TWO MORE SCORES ON METACRITIC COMPARED TO THAT GAME" on GAF. Does this happen with all games? Or just exclusives? Cause Bayo 1 has a 90 score on MC and I've never seen anyone mention it in Bayo discussions. Just play the game and enjoy it. You're asking for console war stuff in a Bayo 2 threads when you're doing this.

Some of us care about scores when we are indifferent.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Should I play the first game before Bayonetta 2? Or does the story really not matter?
Play the first game first. Not for the story but because its one of the best character action games ever and you get the definitive version with additional bonuses for free with the second game.

Review scores are a hit and a miss. Tropical Freeze is the best game of 2014, has the best video game soundtrack ever, and is the greatest 2D platformer ever yet has a 83 metacritic.

Sometimes our opinions align with the reviewers. Sometimes they don't. Life goes on.

The improvements made in Tropical Freeze over its predecessor didn't impress the press. I personally felt that I was just playing the same DKCR but in HD. On the other hand, I don't think this is the case with Bayonetta 2. The game improves on the original in so many ways that the press gave the sequel very high marks.

WarpathDC

I played the demo twice and it is very fun, but not perfect score fun IMHO. (I know it's just the demo but that was my takeaway-good not great, *raises flame shield*)

Bronetta

The improvements made in Tropical Freeze over its predecessor didn't impress the press. I personally felt that I was just playing the same DKCR but in HD. On the other hand, I don't think this is the case with Bayonetta 2. The game improves on the original in so many ways that the press gave the sequel very high marks.
I felt that the HD graphics, improved set pieces, and most importantly the music was miles above Returns but not everyone felt that way (especially the press)

I personally think Tropical Freeze had enough improvements and additions to elevate itself above Returns but obviously being a sequel dragged it down in the eyes of the press.

Revenile

I played the demo twice and it is very fun, but not perfect score fun IMHO. (I know it's just the demo but that was my takeaway-good not great, *raises flame shield*)

I don't think anyone would attack you for that statement, the demo can't show why the game is getting the scores the game is. Compared to the full game the demo is VERY shallow actually. I know this because it was the same way with the first game's demo.

WarpathDC

I don't think anyone would attack you for that statement, the demo can't show why the game is getting the scores the game is. Compared to the full game the demo is VERY shallow actually. I know this because it was the same way with the first game's demo.

Good to know thanks. Considering returning the evil within for this.

It was a huge case of people overreacting to what low level reps say rather than waiting for actual information.

It wasn't a low level rep. Hashimoto (Bayonetta 2's director) and Kuroda (the game's producer) were doing a Q&A with fans on Facebook during E3 and it was announced at that time that Bayo 1 would be a digital download with both retail and digital copies of Bayonetta 2. Whether it was a miscommunication or changed plans is anyone's guess.

Sayter

Don't worry. You gave it a shot. It's not really for you. No biggie.

Play what you like and enjoy the hobby. ^.^

Finally put in Bayonetta on 360 a couple days ago. Historically my type of game, but had it on the shelf waiting until I could stick with it and get immersed into the combat system. A planned couple hours turned into 6 and a late night. Wii U looks quite tempting with Bayo 2 and a couple other things, maybe pick one up if the deals are good in the coming months.

Revenile

Finally put in Bayonetta on 360 a couple days ago. Historically my type of game, but had it on the shelf waiting until I could stick with it and get immersed into the combat system. A planned couple hours turned into 6 and a late night. Wii U looks quite tempting with Bayo 2 and a couple other things, maybe pick one up if the deals are good in the coming months.

And just think, when you get that WiiU and Bayo 2, you'll be able to replay the first game without the screen tearing, in multiple Nintendo costumes each with their own awesome easter egg quirks, like the Samus outfit with controllable visor and Super Metroid sounds, or the sword being the Master Sword with the Hero of Hyrule outfit, or Bowser's hands and feet during Weave attacks in the Peach outfit.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Should I play the first game before Bayonetta 2? Or does the story really not matter?

It's a pretty rough story that most would agree does little to actively extol a grounded lore base as is. Bayonetta has amnesia, and you do get insight into the major players and motivations through the lens of her being equally somewhat clueless, but Bayo 1's narrative is not well told or that interesting.

Absolutely still worth playing the first for the experience and spectacle though. Holds up quite well having just played it last year(twice even!)

fred

He IS aware of where his console and games came from right? Maybe it's just me, but Bayonetta is one of the least Japanese things I've seen/played/experienced, hell even some of Japan isn't fond of it. It's more liked overseas for various amounts of reasons.

I've personally had mine preordered for quite awhile and am happy to see it doing pretty well with reviewers.

I may be alone in this but I've always seen Clover/Platinum Games as a Japanese developer with a good bit of Western influence and flavour. Certainly more than any other Japanese developer anyway.

Jeff-DSA

I think it's funny that Level, who gave the game a 60, takes a shot at the Wii U library but they loved Hyrule Warriors enough to give it a 100. I like Hyrule Warriors a lot, but it's not much more than a fantastic skin of Dynasty Warriors.

The inconsistency in some sites/publications is weird.

I think it's funny that Level, who gave the game a 60, takes a shot at the Wii U library but they loved Hyrule Warriors enough to give it a 100. I like Hyrule Warriors a lot, but it's not much more than a fantastic skin of Dynasty Warriors.

The inconsistency in some sites/publications is weird.

Different reviewers, perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom