• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

roddur

If this game succeeds will we see the 3rd one? Very curious to see who will be publishing it if it happens.

Really hope this game does well.

I played the demo twice and it is very fun, but not perfect score fun IMHO. (I know it's just the demo but that was my takeaway-good not great, *raises flame shield*)

I watched 5 minutes of a great movie, but i don't think the movie is as great as people think going off of what I have seen so far.

And just think, when you get that WiiU and Bayo 2, you'll be able to replay the first game without the screen tearing, in multiple Nintendo costumes each with their own awesome easter egg quirks, like the Samus outfit with controllable visor and Super Metroid sounds, or the sword being the Master Sword with the Hero of Hyrule outfit, or Bowser's hands and feet during Weave attacks in the Peach outfit.

I'd forgotten about the Visor! Oh, i'm going to be insufferable with that. Instead of jiggling my feet in real life i'll be popping Bayo's visor up and down like a jumping fool in a Half-life cutscene :)

Does Bayonetta 2 have any gravitas? If so, sorry but it's gone.

If this game succeeds will we see the 3rd one? Very curious to see who will be publishing it if it happens.

I'm curious on whether it'll get made or not, even if it is successful. I think it was Kamiya who said he isn't much interested in being a part of a second sequel (third game) for any series.

Now I know Kamiya doesn't represent all of Platinum or that Bayonetta will immediately tank without his involvement at all, but I do wonder what how enthusiastic Hashimoto and others are about a Bayonetta 3 or if they share the same sentiment.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
How is Polygon still alive? I though everyone already knew they have no quality at all.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm curious on whether it'll get made or not, even if it is successful. I think it was Kamiya who said he isn't much interested in being a part of a second sequel (third game) for any series.

Now I know Kamiya doesn't represent all of Platinum or that Bayonetta will immediately tank without his involvement at all, but I do wonder what how enthusiastic Hashimoto and others are about a Bayonetta 3 or if they share the same sentiment.

More likely the partnership hooks would lead to another exclusive original IP for the Wii U, or some potential development cross-over using established Nintendo franchises. Bayonetta 3 would not be the follow-up.

I want Vanquish 2 but only if the weapons fire lasers instead of bullets! Come on Platinum, it's the future!

But there are two laser weapons in Vanquish: Laser Cannon (DLC) and Lock-On Laser.
Also future doesn't mean energy weapons are the optimum.

That's not entirely true. He said a lot of times he would do sequels, if he had the chance to do so. But in this case it was Hashimoto who had new ideas for the series. And I'll be honest here and say Hashimoto and Kuroda should handle a third game if it gets ever made.

More likely the partnership hooks would lead to another exclusive original IP for the Wii U, or some potential development cross-over using established Nintendo franchises. Bayonetta 3 would not be the follow-up.

Yeah, I think so too. Ultimately that's what I prefer what would happen.

That's not entirely true. He said a lot of times he would do sequels, if he had the chance to do so. But in this case it was Hashimoto who had new ideas for the series. And I'll be honest here and say Hashimoto and Kuroda should handle a third game if it gets ever made.

Found the quote I was thinking of, specially about Bayonetta 3. I see what you mean.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._will_ever_happen_but_is_open_to_okami_sequel

If it was Hashimoto then all concerns are out the window then. Haha.

Verendus

Banned

This time, Platinum goes exclusive on the Playstation.

Just so we can get another two dozen threads with thousands of posts of rage. And then, as always, no one buys the game anyway.

neoemonk

I'm happy for the good reviews and I'm picking this up on day one but I have no illusions that it's going to sell. I'd be surprised if hits the top ten on NPD.

This time, Platinum goes exclusive on the Playstation.

Just so we can get another two dozen threads with thousands of posts of rage. And then, as always, no one buys the game anyway.

I won't be satisfied until Platinum also has an exclusive on PC, 3DS, Vita and mobile.

Also at least one of them must never be localized and be very text heavy.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

I doubt this game will "succeed" according to whatever standard you want to apply.

At the same time, I still think Nintendo is going to fund the third one a few years down the road. Its obvious Nintendo has a soft spot for Bayonetta since the game design and philosophies match their own.

Kouriozan

What I like is Nintendo giving freedom to Platinum Games to make whatever they want.
Hopefully it'll be the same with Microsoft and Scalebound, speaking of this, I'll need a Xbox One soon.

Seik

Banned
So I'm trying my damnedest to not see anything... then I hear there's a Moon River remix...at first i laughed then i heard it. Wow. game cant come soon enough.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXhhdNL05sY

I know what you mean.

Most of my friends hate Bayo's OST, not to say the games as a whole. Can't wait to see their face when I'll be humming Moon River along while fighting in the game.

I know this song since I was a toddler, so I just have it my freaking SOUL!

It's just too good, a wonderful remix if you ask me.

What I like is Nintendo giving freedom to Platinum Games to make whatever they want.
Hopefully it'll be the same with Microsoft and Scalebound, speaking of this, I'll need a Xbox One soon.

Yeah, that's a bit worrisome.

If Kamiya and company get free reign, no chance it's not good.

If Microsoft rears their ugly controlling head, it could be a disaster of western proportions.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Genuinely curious: what makes you say that?
I would say that applies to platinum in general but I think what he meant is making games that are easy to use but has incredible hidden depth to it, like the speedruns of mario and zelda, the people who get punch out down to a science, and super smash brothers that uses very little buttons but has mechanics that runs deep, bayo is alot like that, having gameplay first and having mechanics that are simple to use but hard to master yet fun to learn.

If it was Hashimoto then all concerns are out the window then. Haha.
The Eyes of Bayonetta art book comes with a dvd where Hashimoto talks about it.
Afair it was him talking to Inaba after a bar visit for new ideas of Bayonetta. He loves the game. I'm sure that's why he was given the directing.

And as much as I love Kamiya, more people at Platinum should get the attention they deserve.

Edit:

Btw here is an interview with Hellena Taylor: http://nintendonews.com/2014/10/hellena-taylor-voice-bayonetta-interview/

She talks about Bayonetta 3 as well.

Probably the attitude of one of the big P* company heads (a number of pages back, there's a tweet screenshot from Kamiya saying he doesn't care about the scores, he just wants people to enjoy the game if they like it) and the design philosophy of the company, which usually emphasizes gameplay/making a game fun.

The Eyes of Bayonetta art book comes with a dvd where Hashimoto talks about it.
Afair it was him talking to Inaba after a bar visit for new ideas of Bayonetta. He loves the game. I'm sure that's why he was given the directing.

And as much as I love Kamiya, more people at Platinum should get the attention they deserve.

It's like Miyamoto to me in a way;

Kamiya is brilliant in some of his creations but many have learned under him and/or have tremendous talent that they can be trusted on their own to make something special.

I don't even think Miyamoto is that hands-on Mario games nowadays and look how well most turn out.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Bayonetta is a video game first and foremost, it embraces all those tropes. Its not ashamed to be a video game. It emphasizes gameplay, not a cinematic-story focus.

Most importantly, its fun.

joe2187

Banned
I won't be satisfied until Platinum also has an exclusive on PC, 3DS, Vita and mobile.

Also at least one of them must never be localized and be very text heavy.

They did make a DS game

infinitespacecovers_020610.jpg

wsippel

Banned
Speaking of Hashimoto, it's really quite amazing that his debut as a director gets such praise - most veteran directors never achieve in their whole career what he achieved in his first try.

Astral Dog

Vanquish was fun, but i personally wouldnt like a sequel, less without Mikami and his team, the only other Platinum game that needs a sequel is Revengeance,imo.

Astral Dog

I don't think PG's 3D action games would translate well on the 3DS, but a VJ style bayo game (as suggested above) would be neat.

For a Platinum handheld game, i would prefer it to be on the next Nintendo handheld, that would be a nice fit, likely with better controls too,

I can see Bayonetta 3 happening.
It COULD happen, if we have another miracle, but for the moment i think its best to play and talk about Bayonetta 2, i think Platinum wrapped the story well enough, and as they said, use all of their leftover ideas and new ones on the sequel.

They did make a DS game

infinitespacecovers_020610.jpg

I should finish that game sometime. Shoulders crapped out on my OG DS and I never got back around to it. Pretty sure I'm within a few hours of credits too, but by this time I've forgotten almost everything that happened in the game.

Also, is it weird that I miss having the actual Metacritic score in the thread title? I don't buy based off of scores, but mentioning it and not telling is such a tease.

Astral Dog

It probably helps that he is working with the team since Devil May Cry (2001).

Hashimoto was also the producer of the original game,and most of the team that worked on it worked on Bayonetta and other action games, the sequel was always in good hands imo, some people think that when Kamiya isnt involved (or not that involved) the games are going to turn like shit or very inferior, but Kamiya has made flawed games too, even if they are special on their own.

Itsuno and Kobayashi also did a great job on DMC 3 and 4,they are very good.

I just want to live in a world where more than one developer releases top-notch character action.

P*, Valhalla and Capcom would be great. There is even a slight hope left in me for Team Ninja returning to former glory, somehow.

Bronetta

Hashimoto was also the producer of the original game,and most of the team that worked on it worked on Bayonetta and other action games, the sequel was always in good hands imo, some people think that when Kamiya isnt involved (or not that involved) the games are going to turn like shit or very inferior, but Kamiya has made flawed games too, even if they are special on their own.

Itsuno and Kobayashi also did a great job on DMC 3 and 4,they are very good.

In a way its good that Kamiya wasn't involved (no offense against the guy, he's one of my favorite people in the gaming industry). We know he likes to pack in as many minigames into his game as possible and those were easily the weakest parts of the first Bayonetta and W101

We needed the laser focus of someone like Hashimoto who focused on the combat and fleshing that out as much as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom