• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocle

In a way its good that Kamiya wasn't involved (no offense against the guy, he's one of my favorite people in the gaming industry). We know he likes to pack in as many minigames into his game as possible and those were easily the weakest parts of the first Bayonetta and W101

We needed the laser focus of someone like Hashimoto who focused on the combat and fleshing that out as much as possible.
I agree. It'll be interesting to see how much Platinum trimmed the fat under Hashimoto's direction. At least one poster in the Bayonetta 2 Japan thread thought there was practically no padding. That's very encouraging, considering how B2 is supposedly at least as long as B1.

I still play the original game, and I have to admit I stick to the missions with pure combat. I really have no interest in replaying those minigame sequences.

I agree. It'll be interesting to see how much Platinum trimmed the fat under Hashimoto's direction. At least one poster in the Bayonetta 2 Japan thread thought there was practically no padding. That's very encouraging, considering how B2 is supposedly at least as long as B1.

Chose to watch through a JP playthrough because the experience of playing is different from watching, I can only recall one minigame event in the whole thing.

Edit to not be stupid and to add in: I realized that there are actually two sections, but one of them was so short it slipped out of my memory (and it actually looked like a lot of fun).

Monocle

Should I play the first game before Bayonetta 2? Or does the story really not matter?
Yeah, it establishes Bayonetta's character and some important supporting characters. Also, I've heard Bayonetta 2's story heavily references the original. Ignore the people who say the story doesn't matter. It's worth seeing once to get a sense of a Bayonetta's world. Most of the cutscenes have some combination of sly humor, crazy action, and Bayonetta's saucy attitude. Really entertaining.

Another thing: Bayonetta 1 is the best acton game of the last generation. I'm sure you'll have fun with it, and when you're done you'll be able to enjoy the improvements in Bayonetta 2 with the benefit of that experience.

Chose to watch through a jap playthrough because the experience of playing is different from watching, I can only recall one minigame event in the whole thing.
Nice!

This time, Platinum goes exclusive on the Playstation.

Just so we can get another two dozen threads with thousands of posts of rage. And then, as always, no one buys the game anyway.

I'd buy it. Can you imagine something like a Hunter x Hunter game exclusively for the PS4 developed by Platinum with a little help from SSM? It would sell well in Japan too. Never gonna happen though :(

I know it was unintentional, but be careful when shortening Japanese to that. Look it up. From now on, just make it JP. :)

Bah, I realized this just minutes ago. Will edit but quotes don't lie. ><;;

Also, I realized that there are actually two sections, but one of them was so short it slipped out of my memory (and it actually looked like a lot of fun).

Bah, I realized this just minutes ago. Will edit but quotes don't lie. ><;;

Also, I realized that there are actually two sections, but one of them was so short it slipped out of my memory (and it actually looked like a lot of fun).

You make it sound like I didn't just edit my post in response to this! Wait, what? ;)

In a way its good that Kamiya wasn't involved (no offense against the guy, he's one of my favorite people in the gaming industry). We know he likes to pack in as many minigames into his game as possible and those were easily the weakest parts of the first Bayonetta and W101

We needed the laser focus of someone like Hashimoto who focused on the combat and fleshing that out as much as possible.

As much as I enjoyed both Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta, totally agree that there were way too many minigames. In particular, Wonderful 101 had some annoying as hell sections that really should have been cut. The game was always super fun when you were actually fighting, but as soon as it went to some other scenario, my frustrations rose quite a bit (in particular some of the annoying as hell platforming sections).

As much as I enjoyed both Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta, totally agree that there were way too many minigames. In particular, Wonderful 101 had some annoying as hell sections that really should have been cut. The game was always super fun when you were actually fighting, but as soon as it went to some other scenario, my frustrations rose quite a bit (in particular some of the annoying as hell platforming sections).
I think he takes complaints about variety to heart.

Though he did admit the shooting section in Bayonetta 1 got out of control because he kept going "No, this isn't long enough, Space Harrier was longer than this and that game was awesome."

Hypron

Chose to watch through a JP playthrough because the experience of playing is different from watching, I can only recall one minigame event in the whole thing.

Edit to not be stupid and to add in: I realized that there are actually two sections, but one of them was so short it slipped out of my memory (and it actually looked like a lot of fun).

That's awesome to hear. I loathe the minigames in Bayo 1 and TW101.

Lunar15

Though he did admit the shooting section in Bayonetta 1 got out of control because he kept going "No, this isn't long enough, Space Harrier was longer than this and that game was awesome."

I can't honestly believe that because some of the shooting parts at the end of Wonderful 101 go on for wayyyyyyyyyy too long.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Does everyone here know about Kamiya's Bayo 1 commentary let's play? He basically plays through the whole game (playing well for someone who has to talk at the same time!) basically reminiscing about the development process. He drops little trivia tidbits (he tried to name the enemies in alphabetical order in the order they're introduced in the game) as well as developer insights (even placing a few hidden consumables into a level last minute would require an overhaul of the area because of tight memory constraints). Very insightful and very addicting.

I totally understand that he wants to add some variety - I'm all for that. But... I just don't think the minigames and side-stuff he uses for his games are very fun. They usually are just pretty frustrating for me personally.

I can't honestly believe that because some of the shooting parts at the end of Wonderful 101 go on for wayyyyyyyyyy too long.

lol seriously, definitely agree there.

I'm not really into these games and this is the first time ive entered this topic. Totally not surprised to see the polygon review sticking out. Nearly everything they publish is intended to create a reaction.

Sayter

Agreed. I love Bayonetta. But, truth be told, Vanquish is currently my favorite game made by PG. It may be short. But, it gets right to the matter. No distraction from mini games. Just shoot shit.

Ralemont

not me
Agreed. I love Bayonetta. But, truth be told, Vanquish is currently my favorite game made by PG. It may be short. But, it gets right to the matter. No distraction from mini games. Just shoot shit.

MGR is the same, right (I don't remember minigames at least)? 6 hours of pure red meat.

Madouu

Does everyone here know about Kamiya's Bayo 1 commentary let's play? He basically plays through the whole game (playing well for someone who has to talk at the same time!) basically reminiscing about the development process. He drops little trivia tidbits (he tried to name the enemies in alphabetical order in the order they're introduced in the game) as well as developer insights (even placing a few hidden consumables into a level last minute would require an overhaul of the area because of tight memory constraints). Very insightful and very addicting.

Thanks for sharing, I wasn't aware he had done this. It's great!

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I think Vanquish needs a sequel more than MGR because Rising actually more or less finished it's story, Vanquish left on the middle of a cliffhanger.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Holy shit this is fantastic!

Lots of great touches I never noticed from Kamiya. Mindblown at discovering Bayonetta shooting the letter 'B' and a 'heart' outline into the walls when just rapid firing her guns at them.

Get a real good sense of how long the Bayo 2 staff has been involved with him and his older projects going back the last decade. That team is just incredible. This commentary is good stuff!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I gotta know this.

How early does Moon River play in the game? Is it as early as Fly Me to the Moon?

Mlatador

Banned
Haven't played the demo, but I've been writing a Combo System page on the Bayonetta wiki. It's based off Bayonetta 1, but I assume the same core principles and tips apply.

Can't link easily since I'm on mobile, but you should be able to find it easily enough.

Ok, I will check that out. Very intersted in knowing more about how the combo system works.

Haven't played the demo, but I've been writing a Combo System page on the Bayonetta wiki. It's based off Bayonetta 1, but I assume the same core principles and tips apply.

Can't link easily since I'm on mobile, but you should be able to find it easily enough.

I found it, it looks great! Something I would mention is that (at least in Bayo 1) Jeanne has a different combo modifier for WT, as she gets a 2.0x modifier in WT instead of 1.5x like Bayo/Zero do. Her WT modifier is flat regardless of whether or not you have an Angel weapon equipped, whereas Bayo's/Zero's WT modifier while using an Angel weapon is 1.6x instead of 1.5x.

There will be other things that need to be explored for Bayo 2 obviously, like the effects Umbran Climax has on the modifier and the combo timer, but those can come later on.

Bombless

This....is amazing. Thanks for sharing!

danmaku

MGR is the same, right (I don't remember minigames at least)? 6 hours of pure red meat.

Yep, no minigames, thankfully. It still has a "walk slowly while listening to story bullshit" section, though. Since their games are meant to be replayed over and over, all story parts should be skippable.

Zomba13

Yep, no minigames, thankfully. It still has a "walk slowly while listening to story bullshit" section, though. Since their games are meant to be replayed over and over, all story parts should be skippable.

It does have that weird glider section during one of the boss fights but that lasts like 1 minute and other than that (and the walk and talk bits which are skippable, at least after listening to them once) it's pure slicey slice zandatsu action.

Mindblown from that Kamiya Bayonetta video when he revealed the fact that Mikami basically tried to push an RE4 style dodge system into RE1, but due to scheduling it didn't make it in.

Cronox

Banned
Mindblown from that Kamiya Bayonetta video when he revealed the fact that Mikami basically tried to push an RE4 style dodge system into RE1, but due to scheduling it didn't make it in.

Wait, wat? RE4 had no dodging. Do you mean the thing where you can shoot enemies in the leg, then run up and kick them? Or that the zombies would do a little dodge when you're aiming at their heads?

Wait, wat? RE4 had no dodging. Do you mean the thing where you can shoot enemies in the leg, then run up and kick them? Or that the zombies would do a little dodge when you're aiming at their heads?

I think the quick time events occasionally when you can dodge something? I am not sure.

-MD-

Whoa, dodged a bullet there.

I'm even more relieved he didn't try to reintroduce it with REmake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom