• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keasar

Does everyone here know about Kamiya's Bayo 1 commentary let's play? He basically plays through the whole game (playing well for someone who has to talk at the same time!) basically reminiscing about the development process. He drops little trivia tidbits (he tried to name the enemies in alphabetical order in the order they're introduced in the game) as well as developer insights (even placing a few hidden consumables into a level last minute would require an overhaul of the area because of tight memory constraints). Very insightful and very addicting.

Why didn't I know this existed? Thank you for posting this!

flohen95

W101 never got an ad in NA did it? Only found a German one on YouTube.

lol @ the End. "The aliens are ready... or not."

Also, I think I remember seeing that on Nickelodeon. There are a lot of Nintendo commercials on Nickelodeon, really. Sadly that's kind of the only place were I see them, aside from, at times, Super RTL and, even more rarely, ProSieben.

Haven't seen anything Bayonetta yet (I wouldn't expect to see that on Nickelodeon anyway), but, to be fair, I haven't really watched TV in a long time.

phanphare

Banned
lol @ the End. "The aliens are ready... or not."

Also, I think I remember seeing that on Nickelodeon. There are a lot of Nintendo commercials on Nickelodeon, really. Sadly that's kind of the only place were I see them, aside from, at times, Super RTL and, even more rarely, ProSieben.

Haven't seen anything Bayonetta yet (I wouldn't expect to see that on Nickelodeon anyway), but, to be fair, I haven't really watched TV in a long time.

I always see Nintendo commercials on TBS during Seinfeld reruns when they have something big releasing

Wait, wat? RE4 had no dodging. Do you mean the thing where you can shoot enemies in the leg, then run up and kick them? Or that the zombies would do a little dodge when you're aiming at their heads?

Some boss fights had attacks that you could dodge.

I totally understand that he wants to add some variety - I'm all for that. But... I just don't think the minigames and side-stuff he uses for his games are very fun. They usually are just pretty frustrating for me personally.

The more calm and plataforming sections of Bayonetta 1 were a nice change of pace. Is one of the things I also liked on DMC.

The motorcycle section in Bayo 1 was ok too and had the right length unlike the shooter section.

Adaren

The motorcycle section in Bayo 1 was ok too and had the right length unlike the shooter section.

[X] Disagree Strongly

Space Harrier sections had constant, varied enemy waves, multiple bosses, the missile management system, and even mixed it up with brief standard-gameplay battles.

Motorcycle section was literally the same segment copy-pasted four times. Enemies were infrequent and often didn't even bother attacking you back. Besides dodging through the occasional obstacle, the entire thing was a bore to replay. It either needed new mechanics to make it as interesting as Space Harrier or needed to be 50-65% the length.

mrmickfran

[X] Disagree Strongly

Space Harrier sections had constant, varied enemy waves, multiple bosses, the missile management system, and even mixed it up with brief standard-gameplay battles.

Motorcycle section was literally the same segment copy-pasted four times. Enemies were infrequent and often didn't even bother attacking you back. Besides dodging through the occasional obstacle, the entire thing was a bore to replay. It either needed new mechanics to make it as interesting as Space Harrier or needed to be 50-65% the length.

[X] Disagree Strongly

They both sucked.

Outside Angel Attack, Bayo2 has just as many "minigame sections" as Bayo1. And depending on how you feel about Bayomecha, maybe even more.

The sections themselves are better than the Bayo1 versions, though, imo

danmaku

It does have that weird glider section during one of the boss fights but that lasts like 1 minute and other than that (and the walk and talk bits which are skippable, at least after listening to them once) it's pure slicey slice zandatsu action.

Actually, I was thinking about the section before Monsoon. You are limping around for story reasons and can't skip it. The first time is a good build up for the boss fight, but after that it's just annoying. Still minor compared to the Space Harrier bullshit.

gelf

[X] Disagree Strongly

Nice to see I'm not the only one who liked the Space Harrier section. But then I love Space Harrier.

Rich!

Is there even a store left in the UK selling any Wii U software?

Uh

CEX, GAME, Sainsburys, Morrisons, Argos, Grainger, HMV, Currys, and obviously many sites online. ASDA and Tesco have dropped it entirely though - although you can still purchase through their Direct service and pick-up in store.

fred

Does anyone else find it odd that Nintendo haven't created a Bayonetta 2 community on Miiverse yet..? It would certainly be on the Wara Wara (or is it Waru Waru..? Keep on forgetting!) Plaza by now if they had added it when the demo appeared and effectively give the game free advertising whenever anyone turns on their Wii U.

Does anyone else find it odd that Nintendo haven't created a Bayonetta 2 community on Miiverse yet..? It would certainly be on the Wara Wara (or is it Waru Waru..? Keep on forgetting!) Plaza by now if they had added it when the demo appeared and effectively give the game free advertising whenever anyone turns on their Wii U.

Yeah, would be nice. Was hoping Nintendo would release demo download numbers. It'll definitely be there for release. I hope Nintendo continues this effort for quality game support and dev in the east and west. Shinen said they would consider doing a Nintendo second party effort similar to platinum games.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
My excitement for this game went from zero to a hundred after reading some of the reviews. For some reason, I'd written this off as a retread, despite the first game being one of my favourite games or the past few years.

I love that the Bayonetta team remain consistent with all the unlockables and the like. They're basically the last developer left still doing that. Major props.

Monocle

Yep, two of the best things Nintendo could do to market Bayonetta 2 are: 1) create a Miiverse community ASAP, and most importantly 2) make an accolades commercial showing off all those 10/10s.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The space harrier segment was overly long but I didn't mind it much. The biggest issue is the verse setup and how you need to do it if you ever wanted to redo the Jeanne fight.

Fuck the motorcycle chapter from every angle.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I just realised I now have an excuse (and a plugged in console with which) to play Bayonetta 1 again when I'm done with 2. Good, good.

Mr Spliff

I loved Bayonetta, solid reviews have led me to purchase a Wii U for this. Among my gamer friends, I am eating a lot of humble pie as I was pretty vocal about never getting one and now my buddies are missing me on Destiny cause I can't stop playing Super Mario 3D, go figure.

KHlover

Banned
I loved Bayonetta, solid reviews have led me to purchase a Wii U for this. Among my gamer friends, I am eating a lot of humble pie as I was pretty vocal about never getting one and now my buddies are missing me on Destiny cause I can't stop playing Super Mario 3D, go figure.
Well, better pie than crow I suppose. Tastes much better :p

hwy_61

Banned
Man..I suck at this game. Kept getting bronze after every encounter. I use the time freezy evade thing, although I could probably do a better job with it. I miss the evades sometimes. Other than that, does the game grade on combos? I keep hammering on punch. Should I change it up or something?

TEJ

Man..I suck at this game. Kept getting bronze after every encounter. I use the time freezy evade thing, although I could probably do a better job with it. I miss the evades sometimes. Other than that, does the game grade on combos? I keep hammering on punch. Should I change it up or something?

Yes.

Remember to switch weapons mid combo. The game doesn't explain how to do this, but it's just a simple button press.

also to use regular guns to keep that combo meter up when far away from enemies, so it doesn't start over.

hwy_61

Banned
Yes.

Remember to switch weapons mid combo. The game doesn't explain how to do this, but it's just a simple button press.

also to use regular guns to keep that combo meter up when far away from enemies, so it doesn't start over.

That's holding down the punch/kick button, right?

fred

You MUST get The Wonderful 101. It's fantastic, it's going to take something VERY special to beat this game as my personal best game of this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom