• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man..I suck at this game. Kept getting bronze after every encounter. I use the time freezy evade thing, although I could probably do a better job with it. I miss the evades sometimes. Other than that, does the game grade on combos? I keep hammering on punch. Should I change it up or something?

If you want a better score, taunt enemies (down on the d-pad), but be careful they get much more aggressive, make sure to get the hang of wich time (what you called the freezy evade thing), don't get hit (comes with mastering witch time), switch weapons and get your combo meter up. When away from an enemy, keep shooting with the standard guns to keep the combo meter up (like when the dragon boss climbs up the tower). Another tip for the demo: during the cutscene when the mini boss jumps on the train, you can press evade before Bayonetta jumps to enter witch time when the cut scene ends to get some free hits in.

hwy_61

Banned
If you want a better score, taunt enemies (down on the d-pad), but be careful they get much more aggressive, make sure to get the hang of wich time (what you called the freezy evade thing), don't get hit (comes with mastering witch time), switch weapons and get your combo meter up. When away from an enemy, keep shooting with the standard guns to keep the combo meter up (like when the dragon boss climbs up the tower). Another tip for the demo: during the cutscene when the mini boss jumps on the train, you can press evade before Bayonetta jumps to enter witch time when the cut scene ends to get some free hits in.

These are great tips. Thanks!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Man..I suck at this game. Kept getting bronze after every encounter. I use the time freezy evade thing, although I could probably do a better job with it. I miss the evades sometimes. Other than that, does the game grade on combos? I keep hammering on punch. Should I change it up or something?

The game punishes you for using the game combo's over and over, with the same weapons, so it encourages you to switch up the weapons and your combo's in general for risk/reward type play also the more difficult combo's (typically the longer and more nuanced) provide a higher score, to prevent a dodge from messing that up use the dodge offset technique. Also as stated above taunting enrages enrades making them attack quicker and makes enemies "harder" but allows you to get better combo score.

Taunting is a good idea In general (when using Bayonetta not so great with other characters at least in Bayonetta 1), because it allows you to activate witch time more often which is great for racking up combo score.

Hopefuly the online remains alive for this since there seems to be a lot of Coop content, so playing with another reasonably competent friend should be fun.

hwy_61

Banned
The game punishes you for using the game combo's over and over, with the same weapons, also the more difficult combo's (typically the longer and more nuanced) provide a higher score, to prevent a dodge from messing that up use the dodge offset technique. Also as stated above taunting enrages enrades making them attack quicker and makes enemies "harder" but allows you to get better combo score.

Taunting is a good idea In general (when using Bayonetta not so great with other characters at least in Bayonetta 1), because it allows you to activate witch time more often which is great for racking up combo score.

Thank you for the tips! Bayo help desk in full effect.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Anyone to know the length of the single player story approximately? Thanks

I've heard around 15 hours for a single normal playthrough (without all the secret areas etc). Keep in mind the major purpose of the game is multiple playthroughs of the main campaign as you'll unlock more moves, weapons, accessories, costumes and characters as you progress through the harder difficulties and get better at the game overall. You also have a large amount of coop content, so you really get out of it as much as you put in.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Ehhhh, try the demo first. I feel like W101 is much more difficult to get into than Bayo.
It's harder to get into W101 at the very start, once you have the basics down I feel like the harder mechanics are easier to get into.

Bayo seems easier to get into, but achieving the craziest stuff possible is pretty hard.

Hope I made sense.

sam777

I've heard around 15 hours for a single normal playthrough (without all the secret areas etc). Keep in mind the major purpose of the game is multiple playthroughs of the main campaign as you'll unlock more moves, weapons, accessories, costumes and characters as you progress through the harder difficulties and get better at the game overall. You also have a large amount of coop content, so you really get out of it as much as you put in.

Thanks was just curious but I intend to do multiple playthroughs will play the first Bayonetta first though.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Thanks was just curious but I intend to do multiple playthroughs will play the first Bayonetta first though.

That's a good idea, Also I'll tell you now there's cheat codes (a rarity since that sort of stuff is normally dlc in other games) for certain things, for example to unlock Jeanne the the standard way it requires you to platinum everything on normal with Bayonetta if I remember correctly, so if you just want to play Jeanne straight away you can do that since I don't expect everyone to have the time for that when the sequel is already there.

sam777

That's a good idea, Also I'll tell you now there's cheat codes (a rarity since that sort of stuff is normally dlc in other games) for certain things, for example to unlock Jeanne the the standard way it requires you to platinum everything on normal with Bayonetta if I remember correctly, so if you just want to play Jeanne straight away you can do that since I don't expect everyone to have the time for that when the sequel is already there.

Nice one.

DedValve

Banned
That's a bummer. I requested the day off well in advance because I just knew. It's the first time I've ever done that for a video game, feels good.

First time taking the day off and its for Bayonetta 2?

You've chosen very wisely. Very wisely indeed.

I need to pre-order this soon, I hope gamestop near me has it. Fuck off Amazon and shipping it 5 days later even though I have prime.

Monocle

So, do the controls change much in the full version? That's what I had a problem with.
No, but they do feel a lot more natural with a bit of practice.

I made the mistake of playing on Normal my first time through The Wonderful 101. It's not fun to get mashed into the dirt at the same time you're trying to learn the controls and combat mechanics. Easy is definitely the better difficulty setting to start out with, regardless of your prior action game experience.

At its core TW101 is a more complex variation of Rock Paper Scissors, where each of your weapons can be a highly effective counter against certain attack types, or a tool to force enemies into vulnerable states. Watch Saur's tutorials if you haven't already. It's important to know that each action has multiple functions, and what those functions do.

Mlatador

Banned
Yes.

Remember to switch weapons mid combo. The game doesn't explain how to do this, but it's just a simple button press.

also to use regular guns to keep that combo meter up when far away from enemies, so it doesn't start over.

What's the benefit of switching weapons during combos?

hwy_61

Banned
No, but they do feel a lot more natural with a bit of practice.

I made the mistake of playing on Normal my first time through The Wonderful 101. It's not fun to get mashed into the dirt at the same time you're trying to learn the controls and combat mechanics. Easy is definitely the better difficulty setting to start out with, regardless of your prior action game experience.

At its core TW101 is a more complex variation of Rock Paper Scissors, where each of your weapons can be a highly effective counter against certain attack types, or a tool to force enemies into vulnerable states. Watch Saur's tutorials if you haven't already. It's important to know that each action has multiple functions, and what those functions do.

Ok. That is a valid point you bring up.I'm bookmarking this post for the link.

Peff

Haven't played the demo, but are you sure about this? It isn't the case in Bayonetta 1.

It is true for both games, but what people aren't mentioning (and it's more important than using different weapons) is that Wicked Weaves reset the score penalty. So it's a bit of a risk/reward mechanic with keeping the weaker attacks going but then using a strong attack to not go over the Platinum time limit for the verse.

Peltz

Ok. That is a valid point you bring up.I'm bookmarking this post for the link.

I agree with the rock paper scissor's analogy. But, you also have to react to the "tell" of each enemy because they broadcast their moves.

Think:

Rock paper scissors, meets Punch-Out, meets Bayonetta's wackiness, meets a fighting game's D-Pad inputs on the right analogue stick. Learning to execute stuff with ease feels very much like learning to play Street Fighter II for the first time. It's a new language, but eventually you'll be able to switch moves easily as easily as you can throw hadoukens and dragon punches in a fighting game.

Mlatador

Banned
You get more points in general for using different moves and weapons during a combo. Then there are some specific weapon effects that may be useful (juggling, crowd control, etc.).

What? More points? I NEED more points, especially in the first section of the demo! I'll give it a try.

Adaren

It is true for both games, but what people aren't mentioning (and it's more important than using different weapons) is that Wicked Weaves reset the score penalty. So it's a bit of a risk/reward mechanic with keeping the weaker attacks going but then using a strong attack to not go over the Platinum time limit for the verse.

Maybe I misunderstand, but I thought the above posters were implying that you earned less points for doing the same combo (e.g. PPPPP) with the same weapon over and over. That definitely isn't the case in Bayonetta 1. The Wicked Weave point reset affects the diminishing returns on all melee attacks, even varied ones.

jwillenn

The game punishes you for using the game combo's over and over, with the same weapons, so it encourages you to switch up the weapons ..

I don't think it's all that punishing. Yes, you can see the -1s to -2s to -3s from attack repetition, but I don't think there's much impact in that degree of penalty. Check this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-qjUj8veQ

Not knocking that player's performance, but it was clearly a very PPPPP/360+P/Hold & Release P kind of run. Love Is Blue got barely a drop of love. I think he taunted only once.

So things that I too thought were critical to my own Pure Platinum runs (particularly for the first verse of the demo) are evidently not. You can actually perform a PP run featuring more combo variation, more taunting and attacking directed at those enraged enemies, more witch timing, more umbran climaxing, and still come up shorter (or not significantly greater) than he did in the combo category using a similar amount of time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxKEWiIi6gM

Lots more weapon switching, WAY more taunting, more umbran climaxing, more varied actions... and for what? A bare minimum kind of Pure Platinum...
I'm referring to the first verse for that video. I didn't watch the others.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
You MUST get The Wonderful 101. It's fantastic, it's going to take something VERY special to beat this game as my personal best game of this gen.

I've actually just started playing this game earlier this week. I found it very intriguing at first... then I found it kind of frustrating as some of the mechanics aren't explained that well (if at all).

Then I kept playing it a little and then it finally clicked! It's a fun game and I'm hoping to be able to just focus on it this weekend.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I've actually just started playing this game earlier this week. I found it very intriguing at first... then I found it kind of frustrating as some of the mechanics aren't explained that well (if at all).

Then I kept playing it a little and then it finally clicked! It's a fun game and I'm hoping to be able to just focus on it this weekend.

Yea, I have been playing over the last week myself and have had a similar experience. At the end of Operation 001, I was ready to shelve the game and never touch it again out of pure frustration. Thankfully I stuck it out and have really grown to adore it, now up to Operation 005.

Learning to parse out enemy 'tells' and decipher which attacks can effectively be blocked, countered, dodged, etc... has been by far the most difficult hurdle to overcome. The game could do a better job telegraphing that stuff actually. I still find it difficult to hear some audio cues, and some get lost in the music and sound effects way too easily. But this, above all, is the greatest hurdle newcomers face for playing W101(or it was for me).

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, I have been playing over the last week myself and have had a similar experience. At the end of Operation 001, I was ready to shelve the game and never touch it again out of pure frustration. Thankfully I stuck it out and have really grown to adore it, now up to Operation 005.

Learning to parse out enemy 'tells' and decipher which attacks can effectively be blocked, countered, dodged, etc... has been by far the most difficult hurdle to overcome. The game could do a better job telegraphing that stuff actually. I still find it difficult to hear some audio cues, and some get lost in the music and sound effects way too easily. But this, above all, is the greatest hurdle newcomers face for playing W101(or it was for me).

Agreed!

When the game introduces the counter/defensive move I was like "Okay, cool. Another move that I may or may not use." That probably would've been a great time for the game to emphasize how important that particular technique would be. It also probably would've saved me a LOT of frustration a little later in the game, haha

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Agreed!

When the game introduces the counter/defensive move I was like "Okay, cool. Another move that I may or may not use." That probably would've been a great time for the game to emphasize how important that particular technique would be. It also probably would've saved me a LOT of frustration a little later in the game, haha

Yea, it's been said too often, but the spring and block moves are vital, moreso than linking shapes to finding a baseline level of play experience. Bayonetta at least tutorializes witch-time from the get-go, and those abilities in W101 are equally as pertinent but are not given equal positioning for the player to comprehend.

Even worse, so many enemy moves cannot be blocked, so sussing them out can be a daunting trial/error process for newcomers, despite having a bit of internal logic(piercing attacks break the pudding!). It's part of the charm/thrill of all Plat games to learn the nuances of every enemy and their unique attacks, but W101 really could have provided a bit more insight into having specific tells corresponding to unblockables, etc...

Saur barely touches on this stuff and part of me really thinks those videos don't actually help new players come to grips as much as they are marketed as. Great for advanced players learning to 'up' their game even further from Silver/Gold to Pure Plat play though!

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
My Wii U:

Scheduled For Early Delivery On:
Wednesday, 10/22/2014, By End of Day
Originally Scheduled For Delivery On:
Thursday, 10/23/2014, By End of Day

I want to freeze myself for a week.

Yea, it's been said too often, but the spring and block moves are vital, moreso than linking shapes to finding a baseline level of play experience. Bayonetta at least tutorializes witch-time from the get-go, and those abilities in W101 are equally as pertinent but are not given equal positioning for the player to comprehend.

Even worse, so many enemy moves cannot be blocked, so sussing them out can be a daunting trial/error process for newcomers, despite having a bit of internal logic(piercing attacks break the pudding!). It's part of the charm/thrill of all Plat games to learn the nuances of every enemy and their unique attacks, but W101 really could have provided a bit more insight into having specific tells corresponding to unblockables, etc...

Saur barely touches on this stuff and part of me really thinks those videos don't actually help new players come to grips as much as they are marketed as. Great for advanced players learning to 'up' their game even further from Silver/Gold to Pure Plat play though!

Actually you can block/ parry anything in 101..but you need hero counter to do it. Yeah, 101 is a little confusing at the beginning but if you pay attention to the game (including cut scene) you get a lot of hint how the gameplay works, and thats why i love wonderful 101.
On Bayonetta 2 ,i still cant get pure platinum and my demo is down to 1...gonna use it this weekend and pure platinum it.

Seik

Banned
Does the Wii U port of the original game have any substantial changes? I don't want to play it for the first time with any of the SEGA stuff missing.

It's the exact same game, except it's running closer to always being 60fps (with v-sync on top of that) and it has extra costumes.

So it's pretty much the best version you can ask for.

Revenile

It's the exact same game, except it's running closer to always being 60fps (with v-sync on top of that) and it has extra costumes.

So it's pretty much the best version you can ask for.

And no screen tearing, which right there is reason enough for me to be excited about it. I can take jaggies easily, but screen tearing is the greatest bother to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom