• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danneee

I just found out I'm working 9-7 next Friday

fucking depressing
I feel you bro. I was going to take the day off but apparently I have to see some of my patients then. Buuuut I think I might be able to move some people around and go home earlier.

I was planning on buying this to play on my roommate's console, but holy shit, you can't even transfer save data on a Wii U? I already know I can't associate my NNID to my generic account on their console since it'd require blowing away their entire console to get my account off there and onto another Wii U (should I buy my own someday), but I can't even just back up the god damn save games from their console? Christ almighty. I really want to play this game but I hesitate to spend money on anything related to the Wii U with these insane policies.

AdanVC

Just got back from the mall and I pre-ordered Bayo 2, Smash for U Wii bundle with the GC controller and Captain Toad Treasuristic Warriors! My holiday gaming purchases :) One weekkk for Bayo!

sfried

I was planning on buying this to play on my roommate's console, but holy shit, you can't even transfer save data on a Wii U? I already know I can't associate my NNID to my generic account on their console since it'd require blowing away their entire console to get my account off there and onto another Wii U (should I buy my own someday), but I can't even just back up the god damn save games from their console? Christ almighty. I really want to play this game but I hesitate to spend money on anything related to the Wii U with these insane policies.

Uh, yes you can have system transfers between WiiU consoles? Did you update your firmware?

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It is true for both games, but what people aren't mentioning (and it's more important than using different weapons) is that Wicked Weaves reset the score penalty. So it's a bit of a risk/reward mechanic with keeping the weaker attacks going but then using a strong attack to not go over the Platinum time limit for the verse.

I knew this but forgot about it, since I played Bayonetta 1 so long ago. It's the reason why Jeanne is so utter shit. No normal dodge witch time, no compensation for dodge witch time outside of bracelet of time and freaking strong wicked weaves, which to someone unaware of the games mechanics may seem like a good thing but for your combo score it's a very bad thing especially against bosses. I just wanted to kick ass with Jeanne why did you have to make my life suffering Platinum.

Haven't played Bayonetta so tweaks of that nature I have no idea this is just generally Bayonetta 1 knowledge.

weekev

Banned
So given the lack of critically acclaimed games on other platforms and the stock a lot of people put into Metacritic scores do we feel like this game is going to be a system seller in the West? My original prediction was 400k games sold but im starting to feel it may even do better than that.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
So given the lack of critically acclaimed games on other platforms and the stock a lot of people put into Metacritic scores do we feel like this game is going to be a system seller in the West? My original prediction was 400k games sold but im starting to feel it may even do better than that.
I'm not getting my hopes up, seeing as it's still a pretty Japanese game and on Wii U, but I expect it to at least reach Bayo 1 numbers.

Revenile

Not nearly as much as smash will, but some people HAVE boughten WiiUs for this, as seen in this very thread.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak

Im expecting around 650k between all places. Might reach a million with word of mouth. BTW this is not speaking launch only.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Maybe I misunderstand, but I thought the above posters were implying that you earned less points for doing the same combo (e.g. PPPPP) with the same weapon over and over. That definitely isn't the case in Bayonetta 1. The Wicked Weave point reset affects the diminishing returns on all melee attacks, even varied ones.

It's not that, it's if you do the same combo with the same weapon on a single enemy you get less combo points than if you used two different combo's, you can use the same combo on different enemies and not be penalised but on the same one was as far as I remember you do. If you of course kill said enemy in one combo or set it doesn't matter which is which why it's effects are far less noticeable on normal than the harder difficulties. Ultimately keeping the combo going is the highest priority while that is secondary.

I hope it will break 500k but I can't be sure. It bombed pretty big in Japan and I don't think it's good to amaze in Europe. I think it would do within expectations for the US though.

I just preordered it today at GameStop. When I was there last in the Wii U section there was a big 2 ft by 2 ft add for Hyrule Warriors and Smash Brothers. Now it's only the Smash bundle. I think it'll be overshadowed by Smash and Hyrule Warriors. The latter only had 190k last month and I doubt Bayonetta will outsell that game.

I hope it will break 500k but I can't be sure. It bombed pretty big in Japan and I don't think it's good to amaze in Europe. I think it would do within expectations for the US though.

I just preordered it today at GameStop. When I was there last in the Wii U section there was a big 2 ft by 2 ft add for Hyrule Warriors and Smash Brothers. Now it's only the Smash bundle. I think it'll be overshadowed by Smash and Hyrule Warriors. The latter only had 190k last month and I doubt Bayonetta will outsell that game.

If ZombiU can reach 500k+ Bayonetta 2 better be able to.

Edit: Also Hyrule Warriors only accounted for 6 days on NPD, after a full month it'll probably be nearing double that.

Ninjimbo

It will be lucky if it even reaches 200k. That's my personal outlook. The Wii U is simply a toxic platform. Unless you're Mario, you ain't selling.

JayEH

Bayonetta 1 only sold over a million on two consoles. It will be lucky to break 400k.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'm not sure I can handle a non sassy british Bayonetta. I'll check it out though.

She has that rich, snobby japanese woman voice, which I admit I love and makes me consider playing the game in japanese dub
which btw you can switch languages in the demo

I dunno, I'm keeping my expectations pretty low but it may do better than expected given the post-reviews interest spike, at least here in the US. I know that Amazon best sellers is a poor indicator of how well something's doing, but IMO it's still worth noting that ever since the reviews came out (so for the past 4 days), Bayonetta 2 has remained in the top 10 on the Amazon US video game best sellers and has yet to leave the top 10 (for now). I don't think Hyrule Warriors was ever able to sustain that high of a position for very long, so things may be different for Bayonetta. Who knows?

Again, I'm definitely keeping my personal expectations low but I get the feeling we may be slightly underestimating our favorite Umbra Witch.

NateDrake

It will be lucky if it even reaches 200k. That's my personal outlook. The Wii U is simply a toxic platform. Unless you're Mario, you ain't selling.

After seeing Hyrule Warriors open with 190k in US per NPD, I think Bayonetta could do 125k-150k in Oct. Nintendo is actively marketing the game, the early embargo lift with perfect scores has given the game tons of attention, and the demo release was well timed. Hell, maybe it'll match Hyrule Warriors and so near 200k for launch. I feel like Bayonetta 2 may surprise us.

Fandangox

Well w101 did 30k on its opening month (never forget) This game, being a sequel already has an audience, unlike w101 which was a new IP.

I expect it to do better than w101, but not better than Hyrule Warriors, personally I expect around 80k

Squishy3

She has that rich, snobby japanese woman voice, which I admit I love and makes me consider playing the game in japanese dub
which btw you can switch languages in the demo
The biggest reason for me to want to play the Japanese dub at least once is that Dio Brando voices the Masked Lumen Sage.

Ninjimbo

After seeing Hyrule Warriors open with 190k in US per NPD, I think Bayonetta could do 125k-150k in Oct. Nintendo is actively marketing the game, the early embargo lift with perfect scores has given the game tons of attention, and the demo release was well timed. Hell, maybe it'll match Hyrule Warriors and so near 200k for launch. I feel like Bayonetta 2 may surprise us.
I hope you're right. I really want Bayonetta to find some success but, man, reality is just cruel. I don't know anyone besides me and fellow Gaffers that are looking forward to it. A figure in the 50ks wouldn't suprise me. It would probably destroy me to be honest.

Prototype

I somewhat enjoyed bayo1, it was fun, but didn't blow me away, and am tempted to get this just to support the game and the fact that so much of what they include isn't dlc but good old unlockables, just like how things were when I was growing up.

Teriaaaaa!

Neo Member
Well w101 did 30k on its opening month (never forget) This game, being a sequel already has an audience, unlike w101 which was a new IP.

I expect it to do better than w101, but not better than Hyrule Warriors, personally I expect around 80k

Bayo 2 is also critically acclaimed when the Wonderful 101 got a pretty meh reaction from most reviewers.

weekev

Banned
Bayo 2 is also critically acclaimed when the Wonderful 101 got a pretty meh reaction from most reviewers.
See this is part of my point. Reviews shouldnt be the be all and end all but they do influence sales which is why you hear stories about developers who will get a bonus for hitting certain metacritic thresholds, also I feel the relative critical disappointment of the likes of destiny has potential to drive sales to WiiU and Bayo 2. Maybe thats just blind optimism though.

Majukun

I wanna ask something to the guys who already imported this game...do the first game weapons make an appearance in the game,even as end game unlockables,or there are only new weapons in the game?

I wanna ask something to the guys who already imported this game...do the first game weapons make an appearance in the game,even as end game unlockables,or there are only new weapons in the game?

I didn't import it, but I can tell you some stuff because I've watched people play the JP version entirely. Obvious spoilers.

Yes, there are Bayo 1 weapons in this one. Scarborough Fair, Shuraba, and the Handguns are all unlockable post-game. If I remember right, the first two are unlocked when you buy the Super Mirror post-game, which has a number of the Bayo 1 costumes. Rodin is also unlockable but it uses both angelic and demonic weapons this time. Nothing else though.

Nessus

Honestly surprised at the review scores.

Nintendo should keep doing this, publish games from talented developers that wouldn't otherwise get made. Solidify a hardcore library that justifies the Wii U as a second console.

Tried the demo, never played Bayonetta before, and sucked horrible. Still I placed a pre-order for the special edition here in Europe because I enjoyed what I played despite sucking :D

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Anyone have the Santa Rodin "Beautiful" gif on hand, after watching the Bayonetta 2 launch trailer (had no idea it had long since been out), I felt the need to have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom