• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck Is The New Batman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Legend

This could work.

Need to have Matt Damon as a villain.

Mr. Luthor I presume...

Matt-Damon-sighting-in-location-of-movie-Elysium-04.jpg

I'm actually pretty hype about this. Affleck absolutely killed it in The Town. Hopefully he can bring that kind of intensity to portraying the Batman.

Jarmel

Banned
My problem with this is that Ben Affleck is just one of those actors who's real life personality sorta overshadows the characters they are playing. I didn't see Daredevil I seen Ben Affleck running around pretending to be Daredevil which will probably be the case here as well.

He won't disappear into the role. The Bruce Wayne persona requires him to be this charismatic guy, like we see in many of his other films. This isn't a role he can hide in ala Ledger.

Jesus fuck this was an awful pick.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
He looks pretty buff there.

I think he could pull it off.

They get him looking like that again or bigger, doesn't sound like Bale did and I'm 100% fine with it.

Yea they better do some nice camera angle shots or shit, Superman better not be shorter than Batman in the film.

Neither do I, but just the same, there have been a lot of shitty gos at it and Bale's is far and away one of the better ones. So the "could be worse, could be Bale hurrr" crowd just seems really...I don't know, spoiled? Short-sighted? Something.

I'm not saying anything bad about Bale really. He was fine. I didn't care for the voice he used but whatever, it turned out okay. I just don't think Batman is some insanely hard to get right role that requires some impeccable height of acting talent, and I was just saying that Bale, while adequate, didn't turn in some raised-bar performance.

Zeliard

this threads reminds me of of a certain Heath Ledger thread.

The difference is that in Heath Ledger's case, he was cast completely against type, and that can often produce excellent, memorable results if things align properly. Ben Affleck's portrayal of Batman seems more predictable; I think he's grown as an actor but I'm not sure his performance is going to really give us something we haven't seen from him before.

I can't say I have much faith in the movie overall being particularly good, though, regardless of the Batman casting.

3N16MA

Banned
Now if WB lets Affleck direct the Solo Batman films then their is some good here. I have no faith in Snyder/Goyer doing anything good with Affleck.

You know what upon reflecting on his performances from The Town and Argo, I have become neutral regarding this. I have no faith in Zack Snyder to make this film a success though...

gdt

They get him looking like that again or bigger, doesn't sound like Bale did and I'm 100% fine with it.

Yea they better do some nice camera angle shots or shit, Superman better not be shorter than Batman in the film.

I could never imagine giving a fuck who is an inch or two shorter than who.

Nekofrog

Banned
This reminds me of the epic backlash against Mario and Sonic at the Olympics... years and years of buildup for a crossover game and it was... a fucking sports title.

Jarmel

Banned
The difference is that in Heath Ledger's case, he was cast completely against type, and that can often produce excellent, memorable results if things align properly. Ben Affleck's portrayal of Batman seems more predictable; I think he's grown as an actor but I'm not sure his performance is going to really give us something we haven't seen from him before.

I can't say I have much faith in the movie overall being particularly good, though, regardless of the Batman casting.

Right. Also it's not like the director is good enough where he can elicit some new level of acting out of Affleck. What we've already seen in past movies is roughly what we're going to get.

Raptor

You know what upon reflecting on his performances from The Town and Argo, I have become neutral regarding this. I have no faith in Zack Snyder to make this film a success though...

He already made MoS a success so with this sequel having Batman in it is a 1 Billion guaranteed.

Snyder will make a more badass Batman than Nolan Im sure of it.

fucking synder is the worst. Remember that episode of south park about indian jones 4? Well they are gonna have to make one just like that for batman.

fucking synder.

apana

Considering what Man of Steel was, this should be no surprise, these franchises are heading nowhere. We will have to wait for the next great director 15 years from now to make a credible reboot of Batman.

They need to make him look really different somehow. If it is a much older, grizzled Batman with makeup/special effects/facial hair to seem different, maybe.

If it's just Ben Affleck on screen saying "I'm Batman" I don't think there is any way the audience won't be thinking the whole time "that's Ben Affleck on screen saying 'I'm Batman.'"

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Zack Snyder + Ben affleck the actor = chances of shit in epic proportions.

You would think the Ben being a comics geek would help...but we got daredevil

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I could never imagine giving a fuck who is an inch or two shorter than who.

I can't imagine you needing or taking the time to quote my post to point out that you don't give a fuck... see works both ways :)

What I really can't imagine is Affleck beating the shit out of Cavill, I think I still have the Daredevil/Electra playground dance/fight stuck in my head :(

3N16MA

Banned
They need to make him look really different somehow. If it is a much older, grizzled Batman with makeup/special effects/facial hair to seem different, maybe.

If it's just Ben Affleck on screen saying "I'm Batman" I don't think there is any way the audience won't be thinking the whole time "that's Ben Affleck on screen saying 'I'm Batman.'"

ST8yueh.gif

Older Bruce with a beard. He must keep the beard.

Snyder made Man of Steel and that was a financial success. Unfortunately it also wasn't a very good movie, imo. I have no double that the sequel will also be a financial success.

cdkee

Banned
[Ben] has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne.

suicide-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1386.gif

Fuck this premise

Pagusas

Elden Member
I think my main issue with this casting is Ben always seems... dumb. He never comes off as a smart man/detective, he comes off as the clumsy idiot who manages to always do the right thing. The average joe intelligence type guy, not the "greatest detective in the world" type. then again they managed to make Bale's batman into a bit of an idiot too..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom