• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Between Xbox One and Wii U, which one do you think is better?

Between Xbox One and Wii U, which one do you think is better?

• Xbox One

• Wii U

Results are only viewable after voting.

PaintTinJr

My WiiU is still an essential lounge system with NintendoLand, etc rolled out for my youngest and her friends whenever split screen multiplayer is needed, so in many ways would probably run even the PS5 close in a pole for me. But outside of it's excellent multiplayer it constantly remains as just an excellent art tool with Art Atelier permanently living in the drive.

It really is a no contest IMO. It might even be Nintendo's second best system after the Cube or first :)

PanzerCute

Lol just based on how it’s talked about by the people who had it I’m glad I never had a Wii U. It sounds awful. I’m glad the games got ported.
Terrible machine imo. I only bought it for Bayonetta 2 so I did not regret it but.. yeah, what a half assed concept and lackluster library of good games.

Xbox One I was never interested in, and now that I own a Series X, I realize I have not played a single Xbox One exclusive with it... I think that says it all for this console too.

Bernardougf

I had some good times with the xbox one in the beginning... MCC , Ryse (yeah I know.. fuck it. I liked) ... at some point MS fucked up but it was better them my WiiU dust collector

wii u
i mean, it sucked.
underpowered, controller the size of an office monitor, uncomfortable, no 3rd party support, like 5 good games, dumb name
but it's also like a handicapped puppy you cant help but love

the xbox one, on the other hand, was just a ran-over, week-old chicken sandwich

Seider

Wii U is worst console ever.

It was as powerful as Ps3 or 360... but released 7 years later than these systems.

Im not surprised it only sold 14 m units.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Wii U is the worst console of all time. Absolute trash for kids. At least Xbox One had decent tech for its time

Last edited:

TNT Sheep

What current exclusive games, every good thing on the Wii U was ported away
Xenoblade Chronicles X, Nintendo Land, Kirby Rainbow Curse, Pushmo World and Affordable Space Adventure for instance. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate while not a true exclusive did have exclusive online multiplayer. Splatoon 1, while superseded by Splatoon 2 and 3 still has a loyal following.

Then there are some games that actually make decent use of the gamepad like Zombi U, Rayman Legends and Deus Ex, or remasters like Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess that offered some clever Miiverse functionality or made some good QoL changes to the original games.

It is a lot more than the Xbox One offers currently.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

wii u
i mean, it sucked.
underpowered, controller the size of an office monitor, uncomfortable, no 3rd party support, like 5 good games, dumb name
but it's also like a handicapped puppy you cant help but love

the xbox one, on the other hand, was just a ran-over, week-old chicken sandwich
There was a lack of good third party support, without the likes of PES, but even the Switch with record sales for a handheld doesn't even get the FTP eFootball so that's seemingly less of WiiU thing and more of a Nintendo thing; especially when games like Batman Oranges was by far the best version with the use of the WiiU tablet controller and games like the Wonderful 101 being amazing titles built around the system that even after porting don't deliver the full experiences, would make me say 3rd party support was more a mixed bag for the highs than 'no 3rd party support'. The limited support it got was excellent IMO.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

I have a Wii U and more than 30 games for it. It has some real gems for sure, several of which got deluxe editions on Switch. But honestly, Xbox One is way ahead of Wii U in basically every sense. It's easy to play all the games afterwards, but maybe people forget about the horrible game droughts the Wii U suffered from.

These two console share some miscalculations. Both are built around something no one asked for.

Wii U was built around the Gamepad. When sales never took off I expected Nintendo to ditch the Gamepad and re-launch the console with a Pro Controller. That never happened. The assymetric gameplay was fun but never as big to warrant the entire system to be built around the idea with the Gamepad in mind. In the end, not even Nintendo could figure out what to do with the Gamepad. A few developers utilized it in interesting ways, but mostly it was just an inventory screen or a map. Not that exciting.

Xbox One was built around the Kinect, at least initially. But Microsoft were backpedaling very early. Only six months after launch they unbundled the Kinect sensor and it was soon forgotten about. The whole "One system" strategy, which was supposed to be "simple, instant and complete", was dumped. There were some strengths to this, though, demonstrated in this walkthrough of the swapping between games, TV, streaming and Skype. Problem was, they tried to solve a problem that wasn't really a concern to begin with. People just wanted a good game console, not an entertainment hub.

All in all, Xbox One shaped up over time. One S was what the console should've been at launch and the One X was a glorious console. Game Pass, an impressive back compat programme all the way back to the OG Xbox, the Elite controller and so on made the system good in the end. But gosh, what a rough start it had.

Last edited:

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
200.gif

Roberts

Don’t have an opinion on Wii U. Xbox One was what it was - an underpowered console that I had since day one but didn’t use often. Still, had some good times with it playing tons of Titanfall 1, Ori, FH3 and Halo 5. Xbox One X though was great. The best console of that gen, my first UHD player and a bit of hardware that helped me fall in love with gaming again.

Last edited:
Ouff, difficult. Easily two of the most useless consoles I've ever owned and also two of the few consoles I've ever given up on and sold. They're both soooo bad.

Tams

WiiU.

As a day 1 owner of the WiiU, I was never happier to sell a console after the generation was over. The gimmick never made sense, many Nintendo flagships like New Mario Bros. were either lazy rehashes or just completely stupid like Starfox Zero. I liked Bayonetta 2 and Mario Kart enough, but I think that's about it.

Never had a Xbox One, but the PS4 generation was easily among the strongest generations ever and Xbox One still got most of the 3rd party content, so that's the easy choice. I guess at the time it would have been annoying that you needed to wait longer for many Japanese 3rd party games, but at least they still arrived eventually.

Weak. Real gamers don't sell their systems.

The Wii U gamepad is a ticking time bomb. It will fail and it is very difficult to get replaced. Even though Xbox One doesn't have the level of first party output as Nintendo, ultimately the Xbone is a better console and overall does have a better library of 3rd party gamea.

Last edited:

Crayon

Oh id take an Xbox one over a Wii u any day. Xbo got most of the third party games that were in ps4 and almost all of the big ones. Not to mention survives a whole generation. Like I could play AC6 or nier:a on an Xbox one. Wii u looks desolate in comparison.

snapdragon

Neo Member
By the eighth gen, the console market had settled into just having its current big three players, meaning you wouldn’t expect there to be a lot of room left for variation with the consoles that do well and the ones that don’t, but…

Well, Nintendo and Microsoft fucked up just enough to bring us here. So let’s get into it.

The Wii U is Nintendo’s worst selling console of all time and widely considered to be one of the worst consoles in general. While it has a lot of merits to its name - Nintendo was trying some interesting things with the dual screen setup, the network functionality appears very interesting (particularly with hindsight), and it’s actually the nexus of the Switch idea Nintendo would utilize to such great effect literally in the exact same gen just four years later - it was a miserable console, abandoned by third parties and propped up by a panicking Nintendo who threw a lot of shit at it to keep it going. In spite of this, it managed a surprisingly stacked lineup of great exclusives, which gave it a respectable legacy but more importantly allowed Nintendo the leverage to launch the Switch with a ready made lineup of great games when the time came. The Wii U was not a good console, but its lineup and its successor both allow it a modicum of dignity.

The Xbox One had the easiest layup in history. The Xbox 360 had finally split the high end console market from Sony neatly in half. Microsoft and Xbox weren’t at the top yet but they had carved out half the market for themselves and had every chance to continue that momentum. Enter Xbox One. Underpowered and overpriced, the Xbox One is arguably responsible for every major issue Xbox suffers from to this day. While the system was salvaged over time thanks to some savvy revisions and the introduction of services like Game Pass, the initial and long term damage was done. In terms of games, the Xbox One actually did very well, getting pretty much every major third party multiplatform game of the era, plus several exclusives (at least initially), and a flurry of initial first party exclusives too. By the end, Xbox would be sharing all its games with PC permanently going forward, meaning no more exclusives, meaning the Xbox One’s overall legacy is a lineup of great games that can also be played on other systems - in other words, there’s nothing to buy an Xbox One for.

It’s actually astonishing that the same generation that gave us the PlayStation 4 and the Switch also gave us these two, but I mean, here we are. Of these two, which one do you think is the better one and why?
The XBONE was a disaster but the third-party support/far more extensive game library and longer life span just make it an objectively superior system to the wii u

I loved miiverse, the wii u's UI, Bayonetta 2, Nintendo Land, and Pokken tournament but the Wii U is just a bad console. Some people say it was an underrated gem like the Dreamcast, GameCube, or Saturn but no the consoles first party support was among some of the weakest for Nintendo consoles and its third-party support was terrible.

also thanks mods from approving my account, i have been lurking this forum for a while :)

IMHO, the Xbox One is kind of underrated. I still have one for retro BC games, and for me, it was the only platform to play classic titles from Treasure like Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, and Guardian Heroes, or from Sega, like Panzer Dragoon Orta, Gunvalkyrie, Otogi 1 and 2, Jet Set Radio Future, and so on. It was also the only platform where you could play Ninja Gaiden Black in 1080p / 60fps.

Besides these retro games, the Xbox One had great releases like Forza Horizon 2 and 3 — games that were very impactful for me back then and I still think they are excellent — Sunset Overdrive, Gears of War 1 Remastered, etc. And GamePass was good for a while. It was never a disaster, at least for me.

In this generation, I went full on PS5 but still keep my old Xbox One S for playing these classics, and it’s still a fantastic console for that. The Xbox Series S is reasonably priced, but it doesn’t seem worth the investment, and the Series X is expensive, and well, everyone knows what’s going on right now…

I’ll keep my Xbox One S for a good while; by the way, it’s a very well-built console, never gives me problems, and works like a charm. I’m just not a fan of the operating system’s aesthetics; I find it pretty bland and outdated.

I always loved Nintendo but I just couldn´t get into the Wii U (or even, the OG Wii)... Both were tacky and gimmicky for my tastes. So Xbox One on this, as well.

Last edited:
Never understood the hate for the WiiU gamepad. It's comfy as hell and the games that utilize it correctly are phenomenal. ZombiU comes to mind.

Something like Mario Chase in NintendoLand is god-tier local coop. 1v4, having the runner's face projected onto the TV via the gamepad camera. It's an absolute riot.

WiiU is a God-tier console and I will die on that hill. I own two and one is always hooked up.

Last edited:
Wii U was a great system with great games that made it to Switch. I'm glad it underperformed as the Switch is superior. Xbox One didn't really have too many GREAT games, so I'd say the Wii U won.

With some modification, WII U is quite the console.
All day. Soft modding gives it the capability to play the library of GB, GBA, DS, SNES, NES, GCN, N64, it's the best way to play Wii titles, and you also have the great WiiU library. It's GOAT-tier for Nintendo consoles. There's probably other emulators it can run too and there's even a way to get GTA3 PC running on it.

Killer8

The Wii U.

Xbox One played second fiddle to PS4. From the moment Sony announced $399, it was over:

Xbox One had worse versions of third party games and some of the worst exclusives (*if you could even call them that by the end of the generation) that MS has ever put out. Just a crushingly disappointing system after the amazing original Xbox and 360. It's regarded as the beginning of the decline for the brand, even by Phil Spencer himself, for very good reasons.

The Wii U on the other hand was severely underrated. Many excellent games on it like Mario Kart 8, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Splatoon, Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World. Some of these got a new lease of life on the Switch and people finally woke up to the fact that the system had some bangers. Even the (free!) online was excellent due to the Miiverse support, which I am sad is lost forever. Modding can bring it back but it will never resurrect the memories. The console only failed because it released at a weird time. Too late for the sixth gen, too early for the seventh. The Switch thankfully took the concept of the hybrid console and near perfected it.

Preseznik

Neo Member
I love my Wii U and I still have TWO of them connected to different TVs.
Still, I played my X1 way more mostly due to Forza and COD games.

finalflame

XBOne is the console that made me realize Microsoft just wasn't interested in making good games anymore. I had loved my OG and 360 previous to that.

WiiU had many fantastic fucking games. So the WiiU wins, easy.

Banned
Xbox One and its not even close.

Unless you are a die hard Nintendo fan that hates 3rd party games, I really can't see any way the Wii U wins here. Less games, worse visuals, significantly less support, basically a dead system and has been for a long time. Xbox One is still getting new games, has Game Pass, and any game you bought on the system is forward compatible with newer generation hardware.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The Wii U was a flop, but it had some great games.

I also loved the hybrid concept and playing games on the tablet controller. It was something different and paved the way for the Switch.

The Xbone was a run of the mill console with average exclusive games.

Wii U gets my vote.

Bridges

Last gen I had a Wii U and Xbox One (no PS but did borrow one from a friend). Dark times, worst gen I've ever experienced. I don't think at any point before or after that will there be such a clear leader in nearly all categories.

Wii U and XB1 both had (a few) great exclusives. But you were a second class citizen either way since Sony got all the cool stuff while the other consoles were an afterthought. I give the edge to XB1 because the One X was a great machine and the third party support did get much better in the second half.

Wii U's legacy will be as a stepping stone to the Switch and otherwise will be forgotten as it already basically is.

jubei

Neo Member
I owned an Xbox One and a Wii U. Wii U wasn't great looking back but the Xbone was aggressively making me hate it at every turn. Waiting an hour to play the game I bought physical because it needs to be copied to the damn thing's hard drive is stupid. The store broke all the time and would never say I owned anything. Kinect was worthless, there were no really valuable exclusives, backwards compatibility came way too late, etc. Having ads for other games on my home screen on a console I purchased was beyond infuriating. The only good thing about the Xbone is the controller, one of my favorites to use on my PC. Other than that, it was infuriating hardware.
The Wii U was far from perfect but at least I didn't actively hate it. Using the gamepad in bed was nice on occasion.

Hoddi

Wii U was awesome. The exclusives it had in those 4-5 years completely trounce what we've had on PS5/XS over the same period and it's borderline my favorite Nintendo console of them all.

But I've never wanted a console less than the Xbox One. I don't mean that to rag on it but it was terribly underpowered and didn't really offer anything until the One X came along. It was just so bland that I never bothered getting one.

consoul

If you had a PS4, then XBox ONE was absolutely useless. I had all three consoles and never had a reason to play the XBone. WiiU was a good accompaniment to PS4 and I loved it.

The original VCR XBone was an ugly unreliable mess. The ONE S was only useful as a UHD Bluray player.

Series X is a decent machine, but the Xbox ONE was the most pointless mainstream console ever.

I loved my Wii U. I was late to the party but really enjoyed the hardware and games. I firmly believe the naming convention alone destroyed any chance of the Wii U being successful. The xbox one was a disaster and xbox is still trying to recover from all of its prior issues. Ultimately, the Wii U was a good console marred by a terrible name. The Xbox One was bad hardware and overpriced, so I'd say the Wii U was better though obviously not as successful sales-wise (I don't think?).

Last edited:
Top Bottom