• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BF4's Big Winter Patch Available now - Patch Notes

Zero rubberbanding for me since last year.

Zero rubber-banding for me since day one, lol. The only issues I've ever had are a handful of crashes and my SP save-data being deleted. Never had any problems with lag, or hit detection, or anything else.

I've felt like the BF4 netcode was pretty much perfect for the last couple months. I'm most excited for the jumping over terrain improvements. I seem to get hung up on little ledges and stuff a lot. Patch seems great, definitely going to play this week.

dkeane

Awesome I haven't played in a while. Thanks!
It still sucks though because your squad will be private. So it'll just be you and your brother and randoms won't be able to join.
Unless there's a way to change this ... I haven't tried using that in a long while.

rafaelr

Squad join? its been there for a while.

You can party up in squad join option, then either quick match any type of mode, or select maps/mode via a server browser.

unfortunately it seems bugged, because if you join a match as a squad you are hard-locked into it, and can´t leave it/other players can´t join it (been like this for me/friends on PS4 since it was introduced).

Well now I will have to go back and check out the new Network code because that's the reason I suck and not me......>_>......<_<.....lag man that's why they kill me....I will let myself out....

Akainu

SOLDIER TRAVERSAL AND COLLISION

Significant improvements have been made to how the soldier traverses the world. Walking over small objects, inclines and lips is now handled gracefully by the engine – it really has to be played to feel the immense difference this makes!
Pretty much the only thing I thought about when I saw the thread. I'm going to miss coming to a complete stop when faced against centimeter high steps.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Unless they nerf all the laser guided bullshit into the fucking ground and place flowers by the headstone... Battlefield is dead to me.

I've been playing since last March, and let me tell you guys that the growth of the game from broken mess to a shining (if not imperfect) example of multiplayer post-launch support is amazing. The game runs flawless me for me now, and these extra improvements are nothing short of a Godsend (especially the minor things we've complained about since day 1), which just makes it all that much better.

I play with friends at least twice a week, and have very minor technical issues, so it still has a way to go to be what we hoped it would be 2 years ago; but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't well worth the money I put into it (only $35 for the whole package + premium).

If you haven't played in a couple of months, I'd easily say it's worth a shot again. I totally understand why some, including myself, were turned off by the mess of trash that was released at launch. But damn is it an amazing game at this point!

Didn't know they were still working on this game. Great to hear!
It's about the only game I've been playing on my PS4 lately. 32v32 conquest never gets old for me.

BTW I tried to play this with a good buzz on last night. Wow I was getting my ass kicked. As buzz faded my game improved. Glad I'm not obsessed by k/d anymore. Those 4/19 k/d's would have killed me.

RiverBed

Banned
this means that i can finally play all maps from my premium membership instead of shitty lists of base maps and per DLC released ? or am i failing at reading comprehension?

So just opening up all maps for official servers? Ok. I usually play custom servers that seem to have maps from everywhere, but for the life of me I can't tell which maps are base and which are add-ons (got them all from the get go when I purchased the game a moth or so ago).
This confused me:
new playlists
various playstyles
What has a playstyle have to do with map rotation? I thought they will include some mode changes.

Nameless

The hit reg, while improved since launch, has still been noticeably sub par. It's the one thing that's prevented me from buying premium and playing BF4 more than casually. This new patch sounds promising, though.

RiverBed

Banned
BTW I tried to play this with a good buzz on last night. Wow I was getting my ass kicked.

Seems the opposite for me. Though I am talking about 'awesomeness' and not that pesky numbers/stats game.
You should see me fly a chopper while drunk+high. It looks like I am about to crash any moment, but I mostly don't. I keep telling my copilots not to bail until I say so. I take more risks that way equaling more fun.
And now I can do rolls and flips? I'm gonna Cirque Du Soleil all over that shit.

Good times.

I still play this game on PC at least once a week. As mad as I was about the state of BF4 at launch it has really been turned around, and I'm shocked at how long the game is being supported. DICE and EA realize they must have messed up badly at launch because they've done all the right things since.

Theorry

The hit reg, while improved since launch, has still been noticeably sub par. It's the one thing that's prevented me from buying premium and playing BF4 more than casually. This new patch sounds promising, though.

Its never gonna be good. Maybe in 10 years when more people have better internet.
For 64 players with destruction etc. 30hz tickrate is really the max.

RiverBed

Banned
I REALLY miss Gun Mode from 3. And even though they took away the tank battle mode, why didn't they keep those awesome tank destroyers? I loved those. It felt like I had a hunting dog going for some tank.

Other than that and MOSTLY about how the chopper feels (so slow and sticky/muddy) 4 is okay.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
This is very good news as it will positively effect everyone.

Questions:
What are 'High Frequency Update'?
What are 'collision issues' in maps?
What are Premium Playlists? Did't understand the explanation. Are we talking map rotation? map/mode rotation?
What are 'High Frequency Update'?
The client syncs up with the server at a higher rate.

What are 'collision issues' in maps?
Stuff like some bushes having collision, or doors that you had to jump to go through

What are Premium Playlists?
Playlists with maps from different DLC packs

What has a playstyle have to do with map rotation?
A lot! ie: A playlist with big vehicle based maps will play different from Close Quarter Combat focused maps.

RoKKeR

• Premium Playlists Three new playlists are added catering to various playstyles and including maps from all expansions and base game combined.
Finally. I think BF Premium offers a good deal of content, but that it is limited to only being played with in expansion-specific servers is a huge bummer. This is a good step towards fixing that.

The support of BF4 has been pretty impressive to see post-disaster, it's the best MP shooter on consoles right now.

VodevilX

Banned
Finally! Can't wait to get home and jump right in! Although the 2XP week should be happening now...

I can only hope Hardline will come... and go without bothering BF4 to much besides first weeks of launch.
This is the real deal! Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking this truly has grown into the best online shooter out there! And so excited for the upcoming content also!

Theorry

Am I missing where they say they fixed the campaign save glitch?

They "fixed" it alot of times now. Even when DICE Stockholm still did the patches.
But still some people have problems. My guess now is. They dont know either what the problem is.

cackhyena

1863119388.png

I really hope quick match for ranked servers is the default option, not having people brought into custom map rotations automatically is a huge bummer on consoles and usually results in a near empty server after three or four games on a custom rotation.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Has anyone managed to actually complete a loop or barrel roll in a chopper? If there's video, I'd like to see it!

Yes. In CTE. It's (IMO) all sorts of stupid, but whatever.

I don't see colored hit markers, colored reticles, colored vehicle HUD on this patch notes, that better be in the fucking game. I'm tired of waiting and having CTE only have it.

Squad Sabo is whatever. I don't play that mode for "competition" and play it because it's fucking fun and crazy with 32+ players.

TheSeks

Hope they dont nerf it. It already requires alot of skill to use it.

They are. The one thing I agree with air pilots with is that the SRAW shouldn't 180 around a missed target and then nail it due to target-re-acquisition.

However DICE-LA and CTE's "nerf" of it is what I vastly and venomously disagree with. I think the SRAW should function like the AT4 in Bad Company 2. It makes total and logical "no shit" sense, but apparently DICE-LA doesn't see that and wants to make it more a "ground launcher" when RPG-7/SMAW can still fire into the air. :/

Theorry

I don't see colored hit markers, colored reticles, colored vehicle HUD on this patch notes, that better be in the fucking game. I'm tired of waiting and having CTE only have it.

Squad Sabo is whatever. I don't play that mode for "competition" and play it because it's fucking fun and crazy with 32+ players.

Hit the PDF with full patchnotes. :)

http://static.cdn.ea.com/battlelog/customcontent/winterpatch/Patchnotes_WinterPatch.pdf

Samus4145

Has this not been fixed yet?!

I was quite vocal on the official thread about it. Dice finally commented and said this wasn't an issue and is basically working as intended.

I still have a problem that in an online competitive game, you can turn down terrain settings to remove foliage that players attempt to hid in. Maybe turn down the quality, but removing the mass creates too much variation between players.

Ghazi

Finally. I think BF Premium offers a good deal of content, but that it is limited to only being played with in expansion-specific servers is a huge bummer. This is a good step towards fixing that.

The support of BF4 has been pretty impressive to see post-disaster, it's the best MP shooter on consoles right now.
Completely agree, especially on next gen consoles where there aren't many other good ones. It's super complicated and I don't understand what's happening most of the time, though. I think I'll start playing it again (only played a few matches of the game a while ago) and see how that goes.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
95% of my Battlefield time was with BF1942 but if that had a perfectly fine netcode over a decade ago why could BF4 have such extensive problems? Is it something specific to that game or has it been a long running issue?

Are you serious?

BF1942 is my favorite game of all time, but it had absolutely awful netcode. It was pathetically bad. It only tracked about 25% of every shot fired. You could lay into someone at point blank range and sometimes they wouldn't get a single hit. And this was playing on a LAN... playing online was even worse.

Even BF2 shipped with awful netcode. It took them about a year to get it to a point of decent stability.

Funny enough, I remember writing a post more than a decade ago saying "Quake and CoD have perfectly fine netcode, how can BF1942 be so bad?"

Naked Lunch

Did they buff tanks and remove c4?

The tank gameplay in BF4 ultimately made me hate the entire game - they are worthless and slide around the map like they weigh 10 pounds and are on ice. Not to mention you mostly see tanks running away from ground troops because everyone and their mother has c4. Next time you play BF4, keep an eye on the kill ticker - you will see "C4 explosive" kills every 15-30 seconds. Proven fact.

TheSeks

So...controller support on PC is still janky.

...What... why... why would you want to play on PC with a controller unless you're doing the singleplayer? In which case last I checked it's serviceable but not really recommended.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

Chillax bro!

Check the Advanced Options, you can configure the color of all kind of reticles!

Hit detection now feels like the BFH Beta, the movement speed seems increased, it runs allot more stable. The main tall building came down on siege of shanghai and there was absolutely no lag for me in a full large conquest match which is my first time experiencing that without the frames turning into a slide show. Little BS stuff on the ground doesn't effect your movement. This patch is very solid, props to Dice LA.

Nvzman

Did they buff tanks and remove c4?

The tank gameplay in BF4 ultimately made me hate the entire game - they are worthless and slide around the map like they weigh 10 pounds and are on ice. Not to mention you mostly see tanks running away from ground troops because everyone and their mother has c4. Next time you play BF4, keep an eye on the kill ticker - you will see "C4 explosive" kills every 15-30 seconds. Proven fact.
So basically make infantry near useless against vehicles if they aren't an engie? Hah no

Top Bottom