• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BF4's Big Winter Patch Available now - Patch Notes

Bookoo

Same here. The large scale battles, the sound design, the satisfying gunplay, the game modes (carrier assault is fucking awesome). I know there's still a lot of stigma around the game because of it's issues, but it really is the best MP shooter on the market imo.

Ya, it is great.

Only downside is they have these awesome game modes that are either tied to specific DLC and/or never played anymore.

Carrier Assault is great, but I wish more people played it. Same with Obliteration.

...What... why... why would you want to play on PC with a controller unless you're doing the singleplayer? In which case last I checked it's serviceable but not really recommended.

Why would you play with a controller on PC?

What is this gamefaqs shit?

Sometimes I play games at a desk with mouse and keyboard. Sometimes I play on couch with gamepad. It is one of the obvious benefits of PC gaming. It is sad that EA can't figure out how to consistently get a 360 controller to work with their PC games in 2015.

Irobot82

What is this gamefaqs shit?

Sometimes I play games at a desk with mouse and keyboard. Sometimes I play on couch with gamepad. It is one of the obvious benefits of PC gaming. It is sad that EA can't figure out how to consistently get a 360 controller to work with their PC games in 2015.

I'm not knocking you for using a controller to play PC games. But playing PC games in a competitive FPS is just asking to get slaughtered.

ramshot

I've thought the netcode has been fine since the last big patch.

I feel as if many people are looking at the concept of "netcode" a little simplistically. Comparing the performance of a game like BF1942 (which, btw, certainly didn't have anywhere near perfect network performance on any level) and BF4 is not exactly straight forward. The game is now infinitely more complex with a lot more stuff going on that has to be transmitted and considered as far as the structure of the communication goes.

If it was as simple as plugging in the old code from the old game and being done with it, they'd do just that, wouldn't they? And even so, again, I feel people are looking at older games' network performance with rose tinted glasses. Standards have risen, not fallen.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm not knocking you for using a controller to play PC games. But playing PC games in a competitive FPS is just asking to get slaughtered.

^

Unless you're wanting to help hinder your team, you really shouldn't be playing with a controller outside of maybe... flying a jet.

Spl1nter

Did they buff tanks and remove c4?

The tank gameplay in BF4 ultimately made me hate the entire game - they are worthless and slide around the map like they weigh 10 pounds and are on ice. Not to mention you mostly see tanks running away from ground troops because everyone and their mother has c4. Next time you play BF4, keep an eye on the kill ticker - you will see "C4 explosive" kills every 15-30 seconds. Proven fact.

Tanks are already strong enough. Good players are dominant with them. Just takes strong map knowledge and awareness on where to position yourself and when to push forward.

TheSeks

Yeah I can't imagine how a game like Battlefield could work with a controller.

It works on a controller on consoles. In a world with fast DPI mouses and faster sensitivity? Oof.

I feel as if many people are looking at the concept of "netcode" a little simplistically. Comparing the performance of a game like BF1942 (which, btw, certainly didn't have anywhere near perfect network performance on any level) and BF4 is not exactly straight forward. The game is now infinitely more complex with a lot more stuff going on that has to be transmitted and considered as far as the structure of the communication goes.

If it was as simple as plugging in the old code from the old game and being done with it, they'd do just that, wouldn't they? And even so, again, I feel people are looking at older games' network performance with rose tinted glasses. Standards have risen, not fallen.

I'm sorry. I find this hilarious when Bad Company 2 and BF3 had nearly the same tickrate/update times and BF4's "updated be more frequently updated" from the BC2/BF3 "default" is still spongy in hitregisters.

b0bbyJ03

This is totally not true. Depends on how well the gamepad is supported. If i play with a gamepad in BF4 i will get destroyed. Aiming is impossible. If i play Titanfall on the other hand I can still dominate. I come in first place more often than not in Titanfall with a gamepad (and im talking strictly pc, i dont own and xbox).

stn

Can anyone on console please confirm the size? I really hope its not one of those 15GB patches again.

Theorry

Tanks are already strong enough. Good players are dominant with them. Just takes strong map knowledge and awareness on where to position yourself and when to push forward.

Indeed. Roll with your groundtroops. Not going Rambo alone to a flag. Thats waiting to get c4 on your side.

This is totally not true. Depends on how well the gamepad is supported. If i play with a gamepad in BF4 i will get destroyed. Aiming is impossible. If i play Titanfall on the other hand I can still dominate. I come in first place more often than not in Titanfall with a gamepad (and im talking strictly pc, i dont own and xbox).

Thank you. An opinion from someone with actual experience.

TheSeks

That's because Titanfall was designed with controllers in mind. You can't play something like Battlefield or Quake with a controller.

Donos

pls bring back the "chirp" sound when you get the kill notification with the score in the next patch....
Miss this dearly from BF3.

Btw, are DonDivious and SirButtersticks still around for BF4? These guys were scary on PC BF3.

That's because Titanfall was designed with controllers in mind. You can't play something like Battlefield or Quake with a controller.

Battlefield 4 is a casual console game. It has nothing to do with Quake. I just want to buzz around in a 4 wheeler with a controller. I don't even understand your argument because people play it with a controller on other platforms. I'm not asking for controller support in World of Warcraft or something.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So basically make infantry near useless against vehicles if they aren't an engie? Hah no

Infantry should have the power against tanks like they do vs choppers where any dipshit with a stinger can control the entire map's airspace by themselves!

Great that choppers now have better maneuverability. Maybe you can do a loop de loop in the ten seconds you have before getting shot down. Because who care, I mean why not? Not like the choppers matter anymore.

Even the most skilled pilot/gunner combinations (people with thousands of combined hours experience) can be pestered by one guy with a stinger and nothing better to do. Because they are incredibly OP and because the game does little to nothing to let pilots know what/who is locking them. The tiny bit of info you get is an incredibly general "where".

b0bbyJ03

Yes, that was exactly my point. lol. If they added that support to the PC version of BF4 it would make a lot of people happy. I'm a couch gamer. I would absolutely love this. I really enjoyed being able to play TF with an xbox controller without feeling like it was at a disadvantage. Don't get me wrong i would still play it with a Keyboard and mouse half the time but the option was awesome. I wish i had that option on BF4. If i want to play it i always have to pull out my KB/M and set it up (i have my pc set up in my living room)

CryptiK

Battlefield was dumbed down quite a lot for consoles and controllers. So yes its perfectly fine to use a controller.

TheSeks

I1lkgit.jpg

Well, now at least quick match indications should show if they're "rent-a-server" bad on consoles with that ranked stuff. Too bad it probably won't help if you server browse into a 300% ticket Rush round via the browser because server details aren't shown in the browser finder but in the server info "expanded" box. :/

WtrdZwS.jpg

Thank you, DICE. But this should've been out back in December when CTE FINALLY got this shit. :|

I need to tweak the Jet HUD colors (which are what all the reticles are now) to be less "holographic"/blurring into the sun. :/

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Framerate on PS4 can still drop to almost single digits on instances when there is nothing really happening.

Any map larger than the average TDM map has serious framerate fluctuations down the 20's fps I'm sure.

All this, while the Image quality being frankly poor (aliasing so terrible it looks like a filter of heat haze coming from the ground. Everything flickers).

so, no. I would thing its not possible to increase the resolution to 1080P. Reducing it to 720p might help though.

RP912

Banned
Battlefield was dumbed down quite a lot for consoles and controllers. So yes its perfectly fine to use a controller.

This. It's a pain in the ass though because majority of BF players are using KB/M....but I manage with a controller.

Framerate on PS4 can still drop to almost single digits on instances when there is nothing really happening.

I've never noticed dips anywhere near this on PS4, not even on 64-player conquest. I pretty much only play rush, though, and the framerate is a much more stable 60fps on that mode than it is on 64-player conquest.

Although, after the last big patch, I did notice that certain rush maps were dropping frames when they never used to.

I wonder if it bothers anyone else how long it takes you to respawn after dying in a multiplayer match. Maybe it's just me since I seem to die every few seconds, but wish it didn't take so long to get back into it.

BF4 went from being objectively worse than BF3 on ALL aspects, to being the best Battlefield.

The lesson to learn is that for these kind of complex games it's much better to start developing them as a "platform" rather than a single release that you renew every couple of years.

You need constant, incremental updates across the board, more than cleaning the table and go back to the starting point.

I wonder if it bothers anyone else how long it takes you to respawn after dying in a multiplayer match. Maybe it's just me since I seem to die every few seconds, but wish it didn't take so long to get back into it.

This has pissed me off since day one. I don't want to stare at the guy who killed me after I die. Why can't it just send you to the spawn/load-out screen while you wait?

BF4 went from being objectively worse than BF3 on ALL aspects, to being the best Battlefield.

The lesson to learn is that for these kind of complex games it's much better to start developing them as a "platform" rather than a single release that you renew every couple of years.

You need constant, incremental updates across the board, more than cleaning the table and go back to the starting point.
This is why I hope we won't see SWBF4 for at least three years after SWBF3 releases.

Battlefield 4 seems less popular than I expected. I was looking at the number of servers with one of the maps of the final DLC, and there are few servers. You'd probably feel pretty screwed if you bought only one mappack.

...What... why... why would you want to play on PC with a controller unless you're doing the singleplayer? In which case last I checked it's serviceable but not really recommended.

Oh no no no. It is not servicable, it is broken in singleplayer. I don't think you can navigate the weapon loadouts with a controller and you get stuck using one somewhere near the beginning.

Battlefield 4 seems less popular than I expected. I was looking at the number of servers with one of the maps of the final DLC, and there are few servers. You'd probably feel pretty screwed if you bought only one mappack.
It's because the map packs were originally limited to map pack only servers. Now they can be mixed. Also the game's population is pretty decent. I just hope it won't drop too much more when Hardline comes out.

http://bf4stats.com

J-Rzez

Let me say first off that I'm happy that they're still working on this game considering the massive let down it was at launch being nearly unplayable.

That said, I don't believe DICE is supporting this game this much post-launch solely for the consumer out of good will. I think it's more like an active test bed for another game they're working on right now, allowing it to be tested in plain sight, Battlefronts. And I'm happy they are doing this. They can not afford to launch what could easily be one of, if not the biggest game of the year in shambles like they did with BF4. Between the extremely hurt fanbase to all the negative press DICE and EA took, they don't want that again.

vwnut13

Hope they dont nerf it. It already requires alot of skill to use it.

Only a couple hundred more kills and it's my number one weapon for kills!

Looks like it will be a little harder to hit choppers now that they fly like a feather blowing in the wind.

Any map larger than the average TDM map has serious framerate fluctuations down the 20's fps I'm sure.

All this, while the Image quality being frankly poor (aliasing so terrible it looks like a filter of heat haze coming from the ground. Everything flickers).

so, no. I would thing its not possible to increase the resolution to 1080P. Reducing it to 720p might help though.
Interestingly enough, when the frame rate shits the bed, it seems to happen for everyone. Whenever I'm in party chat and I say the framerate is bad, everyone seems to say, "oh yeah it's real bad right now, too."

AndyD

aka andydumi
Enjoyed 3 a lot, so maybe it's finally time for 4 and a season pass.

What's that about small obstacle walking? Isn't that something they fixed in 3, after the initial issues of getting stuck on rocks and sidewalks?

Spot

This game had an undniably horrible launch, but I really feel that Dice somewhat redeemed themselves with all the support they give to it.
Looking forward to booting this game up and playing some Obliteration.

Salsa

I've been thinking about coming back to BF4 lately, or Titanfall

I dont own any DLC for either, tho

should I even bother?

HariKari

Now that they've fixed most of it, all the maps should be free. And I bought the game + paid for premium. Community will just die off if they don't.

Being able to pause with your controller but unable to resume without using your mouse/keyboard, and being unable to select load outs or exit weapon caches once opened is pretty far from 'serviceable'.

Unless I'm playing something competitively (which I just don't do in my old age) I'll take my sofa and a controller over keyboard and mouse whenever possible. I know after Battlefield 3 I should've realised they wouldn't bother with full controller support (you literally get to a QTE which can only be performed on the keyboard seconds into playing BF3 on a pad), but it's still infuriating seeing all the changes and effort made for the multiplayer when a teeny, tiny little fix would allow me to play the campaign the way every other modern FPS works. It's doubly infuriating when you realise that these games work on consoles with entirely usable pad controls.

Game feels exactly the same to me, nothing strikes me as particularly improved. In fact it felt better playing yesterday. Must be in some laggy servers or something.

b0bbyJ03

I've been thinking about coming back to BF4 lately, or Titanfall

I dont own any DLC for either, tho

should I even bother?

They are both so damn good. I play them from time to time and I always have the same reaction to both "God, I forgot how fun this game is"

Am I missing something or this new playlist thing is useless?

It's not part of the server browser where you can look how many players, ping times and so on. It's just a quick play option.

So why should I trust it to pick a decent server?

Top Bottom