• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BF4's Big Winter Patch Available now - Patch Notes

Battlefield 4 is a casual console game. It has nothing to do with Quake. I just want to buzz around in a 4 wheeler with a controller. I don't even understand your argument because people play it with a controller on other platforms. I'm not asking for controller support in World of Warcraft or something.

I believe his point is that you will be disadvantaged if you use a controller. It takes much longer to target with a controller than it does to simply click on someone with a mouse.

Tubie

Haven't played today yet but this all sounds amazing.

Looking forward to:

-Player camos not resetting at the start of every match
-New Premium map playlists
-New Netcode improvements, specially for vehicles
-The new color options for hit markers

Significant improvements have been made to how the soldier traverses the world. Walking over small objects, inclines and lips is now handled gracefully by the engine – it really has to be played to feel the immense difference this makes!

I am actually super excited to see how this is. I have the incredible ability to get stuck on everything and anything when I play. I get killed so often because of this that it's comical. When traversal works correctly it's amazing, but as a result I guess I put too much confidence in it.

meppi

I am actually super excited to see how this is. I have the incredible ability to get stuck on everything and anything when I play. I get killed so often because of this that it's comical. When traversal works correctly it's amazing, but as a result I guess I put too much confidence in it.

That certainly seems to be working as intended now.
Everything feels a lot better now actually.
The game still has some serious issues though, although these seem to be new ones that are popping up as old ones are squashed. :-/

This happened to me in my second game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCaf7qxYOpE

I get killed, yet still have 9% health and immediately have an "accept revive" pop-up on my screen as I watch the kill cam. Can't respawn anymore and I'm forced to keep watching the guy who killed me, even as he gets taken down and respawns somewhere else.
Only thing I can do is leave the server and rejoin.
Then the same thing happened to my buddy two games later.
So yeah, this game still has issues... :-/

Not to mention that the shitty admins are already getting on my nerves again just like BF3.
The first game we play in nearly 3 months and we end up on top of the leaderboard by doing nothing but PTFO.
Even though we feel like we're playing like shit from playing too many other shooters...
Then the second game the shitty admin LagerFuhrer bans the both of us since he's getting his ass handed to him.
Why EA still gives these kids the option to kick and ban people is beyond me...
Easy answer probably: because "fuck you, give me money". tsss

Tubie

That bug used to be very rare, so it seems they broke something and now it happens way more frequently?

Last time I had the kill cam glitch happen was around October of last year.

Taurus

This has pissed me off since day one. I don't want to stare at the guy who killed me after I die. Why can't it just send you to the spawn/load-out screen while you wait?
Hardcore doesn't have killcam. HC is the only way to play BF imo. It shouldn't take a whole clip to kill an enemy like it does in softcore.

I wonder if it bothers anyone else how long it takes you to respawn after dying in a multiplayer match. Maybe it's just me since I seem to die every few seconds, but wish it didn't take so long to get back into it.
I die about 3-10 times on average in a 15-40 minute match, so no, no it doesn't bother me when I die.

Maybe you are not playing it right if you just run to your death and waste your team's precious tickets?

VariantX

I dont know if its a placebo effect, or they were being gimped hard by the older netcode, but shotguns work WAY better than before the patch. Before, they performed quite inconsistently, requiring usually 2 shots or more to kill, which would result in your death before your follow up shot if you were using a pump action, basically making you sneak up on your targets to stand a chance. Now anything that gets in that reticule between 5-10 meters away is extremely likely to die in a single shot.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
]I dont know if its a placebo effect, or they were being gimped hard by the older netcode, but shotguns work WAY better than before the patch. Before, they performed quite inconsistently, requiring usually 2 shots or more to kill, which would result in your death before your follow up shot if you were using a pump action[/B], basically making you sneak up on your targets to stand a chance. Now anything that gets in that reticule between 5-10 meters away is extremely likely to die in a single shot.

I was just about to post this!
I believe its due the netcode improvement.
It feels so much better now!

Afro

I dont know if its a placebo effect, or they were being gimped hard by the older netcode, but shotguns work WAY better than before the patch. Before, they performed quite inconsistently, requiring usually 2 shots or more to kill, which would result in your death before your follow up shot if you were using a pump action, basically making you sneak up on your targets to stand a chance. Now anything that gets in that reticule between 5-10 meters away is extremely likely to die in a single shot.

need to try this.

meppi

I was just about to post this!
I believe its due the netcode improvement.
It feels so much better now!

Hmm wonder how they feel with slugs now.
In hardline the shotgun+slug+acog was finally a viable option again while in BF4 it was absolutely worthless up till now.
Might try this out tomorrow...

Robaperas

I tried this game a few months ago, and my PC ran it on low-medium, has anyone seen any performance improvements on barely decent PC's?

TEH-CJ

Banned
Hey guys I was thinking of buying this today for 20 bucks. I am not so much into multiplayer shooters but is it worth playing for the campaign? is it better than something like shadow fall or advanced warfare? or its not even worth 20 bucks?

Erban1

Hey guys I was thinking of buying this today for 20 bucks. I am not so much into multiplayer shooters but is it worth playing for the campaign? is it better than something like shadow fall or advanced warfare? or its not even worth 20 bucks?

Don't do it bruh, it's decent but there's a bug, that will probably never be fixed, that deletes your campaign save. It's also extremely short, so unless you plan to give multiplayer a shot I'd skip it.

Manoko

I wouldn't buy it for the campaign alone.
Are you really not into multiplayer shooter ? The "Battlefield experience" really can't be compared with the two other FPS you mentionned. The scale is much larger.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Don't do it bruh, it's decent but there's a bug, that will probably never be fixed, that deletes your campaign save. It's also extremely short, so unless you plan to give multiplayer a shot I'd skip it.

I wouldn't buy it for the campaign alone.
Are you really not into multiplayer shooter ? The "Battlefield experience" really can't be compared with the two other FPS you mentionned. The scale is much larger.

Damn...I might give it a trial run then see what all the fuss is about with its epic scale multiplayer. I like Halo and The last of us multiplayer. The slower, methodical type shooters really click with me, But for 20 bucks....shouldn't really complain lol.

Thanks for the heads up guys.

VariantX

Its not really much of an issue if one grinds through the campaign in a single sitting to unlock the campaign weapons. Once you do this, then there is no reason to even play it again and have to worry about the game breaking bug. Of course, I'm biased here, since I intensely dislike the campaigns in BF3-4 because of how they are far too different from the MP experience which is the true battlefield experience to me.

Tubie

There's also a workaround to the campaign save bug, you can upload your BF4 save file to a USB drive every time you put the game down and if it deletes it the next time you play, just upload the backup file.

That should work on PS4 and XB1.

Haven't played this one in some time. I played it mostly on PS4. I want to play it on PC again. Gotta wait till I upgrade my comp though.

Till then ...... I'll be playing Hardline.

Ghazi

Damn...I might give it a trial run then see what all the fuss is about with its epic scale multiplayer. I like Halo and The last of us multiplayer. The slower, methodical type shooters really click with me, But for 20 bucks....shouldn't really complain lol.

Thanks for the heads up guys.
If you are on Xbox One, the Premium Edition was on sale recently for ~$20 (that's when I bought it), so it'll probably go cheap again, if you prefer a digital copy and don't mind waiting.

Hardcore doesn't have killcam. HC is the only way to play BF imo. It shouldn't take a whole clip to kill an enemy like it does in softcore.

I played HC exclusively in BC2, but there was something I didn't like about it in BF4. I think it was the forced first-person cam in vehicles.

Tubie

I die about 3-10 times on average in a 15-40 minute match, so no, no it doesn't bother me when I die.

Maybe you are not playing it right if you just run to your death and waste your team's precious tickets?

Hardcore feels too close to CoD whenever I play it. But way worse because BF is not balanced for this.

I would call Hardcore "BF Light". If you are bad at sniping you can feel good in this mode. If you are bad at infantry, all that matters here is getting the jump on someone, and maybe feel good about that.

Very little skill involved in this mode imo.

Game feels good, had a blast playing today for the first time in months.

New maps are AMAZING.

Hardcore feels too close to CoD whenever I play it. But way worse because BF is not balanced for this.

I would call Hardcore "BF Light". If you are bad at sniping you can feel good in this mode. If you are bad at infantry, all that matters here is getting the jump on someone, and maybe feel good about that.

That is simply untrue. The only bad parts of HC are the occasional DMR spamming and mortar spamming.

Tubie

Game feels good, had a blast playing today for the first time in months.

New maps are AMAZING.

That is simply untrue. The only bad parts of HC are the occasional DMR spamming and mortar spamming.

What is untrue?

1 hit sniper kills is a thing, way lower TTK is a thing.

Sorry, but I cant take a mode like that seriously.

RiverBed

Banned
There's also a workaround to the campaign save bug, you can upload your BF4 save file to a USB drive every time you put the game down and if it deletes it the next time you play, just upload the backup file.

That should work on PS4 and XB1.
Is the corrupt save issue that common? I want to go through SP on hard, but I will certainly not reply the mode again if my save get corrupted.

amardilo

I really like the changes that allow for custom hit indicators, makes identifying where my shots are landing a lot easier for me.

Is the corrupt save issue that common? I want to go through SP on hard, but I will certainly not reply the mode again if my save get corrupted.

Not played single player (on PS4) in a long time but my saves kept getting messed up.

It was fine for the first few chapters but at some point it started to lose my checkpoint saves and if I turned off the game it would restart me at the beginning of a level each time and as someone who normally doesn't have a long enough stretch of time to complete an entire chapter in 1 sitting this got annoying.

I did however manage to complete the campaign after having to often replaying chapters. But a few days after completing the campaign I thought I would go back and try one of the other end game choices only to find my save had gone entirely and I only had the the option to continue from the 1st chapter.

After this point I pretty much just gave up with single player.

I blazed through the campaign to get the P90 as fast as I could and in one sitting. Hopefully DICE wishes up and never ties multiplayer weapons to the campaign ever again.

zma1013

I agree. HC rewards spraying and not accuracy when you can shoot people in their big toe and they die. Normal mode you have to aim and consistently hit your target, which means you have to control your bursts and steady your hand. I also think it's incredibly dumb not to be able to see my ammo count. Add to that, as you say, the game simply isn't balanced for HC mode.

Really though, my actual preferred mode would be classic mode; no spotting, no killcam, normal damage, normal hud, etc. Unfortunately nobody hosts or plays this mode.

rafaelr

really liking the patch, the colored hitmarkers for HS/Kills are a seemingly small but very helpful feature. same goes for the customizable huds/reticles.

soldier movement and not getting stuck on little stuff is also great.
only tried the attack chopper in the testrange, but the handling reminds me of BF3 now.

curious to see what DICE LA manages to put together for the spring patch.

Skenzin

Banned
Oddly this patch brought back rubber banding for me. Not feeling it so far. Seems to have nurf'd my play style/loadout.

kitch9

Banned
That certainly seems to be working as intended now.
Everything feels a lot better now actually.
The game still has some serious issues though, although these seem to be new ones that are popping up as old ones are squashed. :-/

This happened to me in my second game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCaf7qxYOpE

I get killed, yet still have 9% health and immediately have an "accept revive" pop-up on my screen as I watch the kill cam. Can't respawn anymore and I'm forced to keep watching the guy who killed me, even as he gets taken down and respawns somewhere else.
Only thing I can do is leave the server and rejoin.
Then the same thing happened to my buddy two games later.
So yeah, this game still has issues... :-/

Not to mention that the shitty admins are already getting on my nerves again just like BF3.
The first game we play in nearly 3 months and we end up on top of the leaderboard by doing nothing but PTFO.
Even though we feel like we're playing like shit from playing too many other shooters...
Then the second game the shitty admin LagerFuhrer bans the both of us since he's getting his ass handed to him.
Why EA still gives these kids the option to kick and ban people is beyond me...
Easy answer probably: because "fuck you, give me money". tsss

You are playing on the servers they are paying for. Deal with it, get a good list of favorites and frequent those.

Top Bottom