• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong Reportedly Earned Almost $1 Billion Revenue Already

Wukong-Featured-1280x720.jpg

Game Science’s first AAA production has already made nearly $1 billion.

The RPG has now apparently earned $879 million in gross revenue on Steam alone, with an astounding average playtime of 31.9 hours at the time of reporting.

It has also managed to maintain active player counts in hundreds of thousands at any given moment. The report estimates around 18 million total sales, so an official sales update could follow soon enough.

According to SteamDB statistics, the all-time high active player count reached 2.4 million 14 days ago. Regardless, the 24-hour active player counts have consistently hit over a million, with the highest figures being observed during the weekends.

Additionally, more data shared on X reveals that China currently accounts for 76% of Black Myth: Wukong sales, which stood at more than 80% when the entry launched.

Monkey King Bmw GIF by NVIDIA GeForce

I finished the game and it is quite spectacular. Probably the greatest artistic achievement in gaming, as far as visuals go. But everything else is also wonderful to engage with, from the combat to the story, music and the animated movies after each chapter - not to mention the overall game design which isn't perfect, but still extremely well done. There's so much to love in this epic, wholesome package.

bitbydeath

I don't think judging the finances of the whole industry based on possibly the 3rd fastest selling game of all time is a good idea.
1 billion is certainly on the extreme side. Most devs wouldn’t even need to make a quarter of that to become rich.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Bubut GaaS
As long as we're quoting outliers - Genshin Impact made 400M in 2 months (a bit behind - but IIRC this was mobile only, and for a F2P - it was incredibly fast either way) - and then reached 3.8B 24 months in - and it's not even close to done printing money today.
Sure - it's considered the fastest revenue generator ever - but - so is BMW in its respective category.

Last edited:

Trelane

If you want more Journey to the West / Monkey action, check out Saiyuki: Journey West. I picked it up on my PSVita as a PSOne classic.

Top Bottom