• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth Wukong | Review Thread

What scores do you think Black Myth: Wukong will get?

• 50-55%

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • 56-59%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-64%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 65-69%

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • 70-74%

Votes: 15 4.8%
  • 75-79%

Votes: 51 16.4%
  • 80-84%

Votes: 121 38.9%
  • 85-89%

Votes: 99 31.8%
  • 90-94%

Votes: 11 3.5%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Draugoth

Gold Member
CPeTHLw.jpeg

I7oDuJH.png
Q: When does Black Myth Wukong Reviews Drop?

A: Black Myth Wukong Reviews drop tomorrow at 7AM PT​

8ekixl11li

5qXJ6MH.png

WKRxYyA.png

zvZsZkv.png

Standard Edition​

• MSRP: $59.99
  • Pre-Order Bonus: Trailblazer's Scarlet Gourd

Digital Deluxe Edition​

• MSRP: $69.99
  • Additional Content: Bronzecloud Staff, Folk Opera Armor Set, Wind Chimes, Digital Soundtrack

Deluxe Edition​

• MSRP: $169.99
  • Additional Content: Bronzecloud Staff, Folk Opera Armor Set, Wind Chimes, Digital Soundtrack
  • Physical Collectibles: Steelbook case, Wind Chime Necklace, Gold Sun Crow Pin, Thunderstone Ring, Constricting Headband, Chaos at the Pearls Banquet (silk scroll), Warranty Certificate, Stamps and Postcard

Collector's Edition​

• MSRP: $399.99
  • Physical Collectibles: Steelbook case, Wind Chime Necklace, Gold Sun Crow Pin, Thunderstone Ring, Teaching of the Heart Sutra (silk scroll), Warranty Certificate, Stamps and Postcard, Confront Destiny (40cm statue of Sun Wukong)

zdmqzEa.jpeg

3pctPba.png

LSv7HRA.jpeg

GHS4CUn.png

jYsypCl.png

GameBlast - Luan Gabriel de Paula - Portuguese - 9 / 10
Black Myth: Wukong is one of the most impressive debuts in recent years. I don't remember a small company being able to deliver a project as solid, polished and with its own identity as this one. The Game Science team chose a source material full of meaning and importance, applied their passion and experience and transformed a literary classic into an addictive, well-constructed game with a unique identity. Despite problems in the world design, in the writing of some characters and in underutilized systems, the game will certainly please those who waited so many years to finally make their journey to the West and face the dazzling wonders of the mythical world of Chinese folklore.
Gamer Guides - Ben Chard - 85 / 100
Four years since its initial reveal, Black Myth: Wukong is a great success. An engaging, cinematic story, a combat system with many options, and breathtakingly beautiful, this is one journey you won’t want to miss!
Screenrant - 6.0/10.0
"The lack of diversity and inclusivity resonates with the misogynistic comments reported to have been made by developers, which expressed disdain for women playing their games. Although Black Myth: Wukong does have truly enjoyable moments, the underlying feeling that women aren't welcome in this world felt present throughout my gameplay experience."
GamerGuides - 85/100
Four years since its initial reveal, Black Myth: Wukong is a great success. An engaging, cinematic story, a combat system with many options, and breathtakingly beautiful, this is one journey you won’t want to miss!
Gameblast - 9.0/10
Black Myth: Wukong is one of the most impressive debuts in recent years. I don't remember a small company being able to deliver a project as solid, polished and with its own identity as this one. The Game Science team chose a source material full of meaning and importance, applied their passion and experience and transformed a literary classic into an addictive, well-constructed game with a unique identity. Despite problems in the world design, in the writing of some characters and in underutilized systems, the game will certainly please those who waited so many years to finally make their journey to the West and face the dazzling wonders of the mythical world of Chinese folklore.
Digital Trends - George Yang - 4 / 5
Black Myth: Wukong is only a Soulslike in the way Stellar Blade is, and that’s to its credit. It lightly borrows elements from the subgenre but carves out a niche for itself by focusing on its key differences. Despite some performance issues and frustrating difficulty spikes, Black Myth: Wukong’s frenetic combat and emphasis on fluid movement make it feel unlike any of its other contemporaries.
IGN - 8./10.0
Despite some frustrating technical issues, Black Myth: Wukong is a great action game with fantastic combat, exciting bosses, tantalizing secrets, and a beautiful world.
Gamespot - 8.0/1/0
Black Myth: Wukong delights with a gauntlet of thrilling boss battles against a menagerie of Chinese mythology's greatest creatures, but the moments in between are disappointing
PcGamer - 87/100
Black Myth: Wukong blossoms with an eccentric cast of characters and expressive combat all wrapped up in the rich world of its source material.
Windows Central - 3.5/5.0
At its core, Black Myth: Wukong is a good action RPG with excellent combat mechanics, phenomenal cinematic boss battles, and some of the best audiovisual presentation in modern gaming. Unfortunately, however, it's held back from true greatness by very underwhelming level designs, poor enemy variety, and a completely redundant gear system.
But Why Tho? - Abdul Saad - 7.5 / 10
Black Myth: Wukong is an incredibly engaging and entertaining action RPG in many ways. While the overarching narrative leaves a lot to be desired, and the technical and balance issues can be a hindrance, the game still provides an epic, unforgettable gameplay and cinematic experience that not many games can rival.

Gaming Age - Matthew Pollesel - 8 / 10
I’d say that Black Myth: Wukong pretty much delivers on what it always promised: a gorgeous world where you get to battle crazy monsters and demons. It would be nice if there was a little more to do between the craziest monsters and demons, but if you want a game that will test you while giving you some nice scenery to look at, you’ll find it here.

INVEN - Dongyong Seo - Korean - 9 / 10
The game prominently showcases its distinctly Chinese story and visuals, and it nails them perfectly. The stunning action sequences that unfold within these beautiful scenes keep you constantly engaged, driving you relentlessly toward the next chapter, the next boss, the next item, or the next transformation—always eager for what’s coming next.

TechRaptor - Joseph Allen - 9.5 / 10
Black Myth: Wukong is an absolute delight. Its gorgeous world, incredible enemy variety, and satisfying combat all come together to create an experience worthy of the Great Sage himself.

XvKVzyO.png

w8rrvxh.png

3k56bR0.png

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
OT thread will go live this weekend.

Going with 80-85.

The "modern" western journalists will find any excuse to dock points because of the SBI refusal along with the fact that it's not trying to be an easy game.

It's going to sell well regardless.

They will face viral levels of backlash, the hype for this game is bigegr than Stellar Blade, only crazy journalists will attempt to give it low scores. (Looking at you IGN)

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Solid mid 80s and up would be good by me. I guess ~84. I'd probably even play it if it was 70 and up, or maybe at a later date if lower. I'm down for more unique entries from China and India.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I'm sure it'll review well based on the buzz around it. If you're into souls games, it seems like a fairly safe bet just to see some unique art design from a region we don't normally see AAA stuff.

I'm pretty burned out on souls now, so I'd honestly need a demo or much more gameplay footage / impressions before I'm personally sold. But it looks pretty cool.

panda-zebra

Whoa, I'm right on the low end of predictions on this one. Personally it does nothing for me given the genre/s it's in, so I'm obviously not the best judge.

Stuart360

Slightly off topic but does anyone know if the PC version is Denuvo infested?.
The benchmark ran surprisingly well on my 1080ti, i'd hate the actual game to be stutter city because of that crap.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I feel like we need to support this dev. Even if the reviews aren't good it looks like something I would play. I think it would get around mid 80s because of poor storytelling or some shit.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The benchmark ran surprisingly well on my 1080ti, i'd hate the actual game to be stutter city because of that crap.
It is. Says there on Steam.
i'd hate the actual game to be stutter city because of that crap.
The benchmark also has denuvo so based on the performance there it should be ok.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Going with 80-85.

The "modern" western journalists will find any excuse to dock points because of the SBI refusal along with the fact that it's not trying to be an easy game.

It's going to sell well regardless.

Stellar Blade got good reviews and hard games like Elden Ring and others are some of the highest reviewed games of all time.

Elios83

I hope it's great.
Imo it has always looked really promising, graphics and art direction are fantastic.
But for some reason it has attracted a lot of FUD, mostly because it's not made by a famous and proven western or japanese developer.
We'll see if doubters will be proved right or wrong.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

It's got it. So every chance we get another game that gets ruined, and sells less copies because people are worried about pirating - which would cost them a lot less than a game that runs badly.

Top Bottom