• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Myth: Wukong Sold 20 Million Units in its First Month

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
iu

It has been revealed that Black Myth Wukong sold 20 million units in its first month across the PlayStation 5 and PC.

The information comes from Ken Kutaragi at the Toyko Game Show (via Dean Takahashi), in which a presentation slide reveals that Black Myth: Wukong sold 10 million units in its first three days and 20 million units in one month. The game also saw three million concurrent players across all platforms.

Interestingly, according to SteamID, just over 2.4 million of these concurrent players were on PC (assuming this was the 3 million peak), meaning that around 600,000 players were on PlayStation 5. That means that according to these numbers, at least for the concurrent number at least, about 80% of Black Myth: Wukong’s players were playing on PC.

20 million units in one month puts Black Myth: Wukong firmly in one of the top spots as one of the fastest-selling games to date.

According to review aggregator Metacritic, the game received generally favorable reviews from PC and PlayStation 5 users, with an 81/100 score for PC and 75/100 on PlayStation 5.

According to analyst Daniel Camilo (who also reported the 20 million number a few weeks ago), DLC for Black Myth: Wukong is expected to release sometime around Chinese New Year.

Monkey King Wukong GIF by GIPHY Gaming

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Not my cup of tea, but happy many Eastern Studios are surpassing the pathetic efforts made by a lot of Western Studios today. No amount of cancel culture, berating or shaming(looking at you IGN and Kotoku) can stop the type of games that common gamers are craving, nor can they stop these games from selling well. It's good to see. Maybe Western Studios will wake up someday and give gamers what they want.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

West is pretty much imploding. The way they are fucking up Shadows and Veilguard right now is telling. These games will likely underperform, economy and everything gets blamed except the fact their product is simply mismanaged and shit. Meanwhile Wukong sells 20 million in a month, and not only in China. Its moving good numbers everywhere.

Stellar Blade sold well too and don't forget these are actually new IP.

Doggyred

Neo Member
Eastern studios are going to roll right through the west if they don't course correct their ideological trash.

The "modern audience" doesn't exist. It's all agenda driven bubbles.
No, I want it to happen. I hope they all burn to the grown so new studios that actually want to focus on making good games and not use them to promote their ideology can rise from the ashes.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
iu

It has been revealed that Black Myth Wukong sold 20 million units in its first month across the PlayStation 5 and PC.

The information comes from Ken Kutaragi at the Toyko Game Show (via Dean Takahashi), in which a presentation slide reveals that Black Myth: Wukong sold 10 million units in its first three days and 20 million units in one month. The game also saw three million concurrent players across all platforms.

Interestingly, according to SteamID, just over 2.4 million of these concurrent players were on PC (assuming this was the 3 million peak), meaning that around 600,000 players were on PlayStation 5. That means that according to these numbers, at least for the concurrent number at least, about 80% of Black Myth: Wukong’s players were playing on PC.

20 million units in one month puts Black Myth: Wukong firmly in one of the top spots as one of the fastest-selling games to date.

According to review aggregator Metacritic, the game received generally favorable reviews from PC and PlayStation 5 users, with an 81/100 score for PC and 75/100 on PlayStation 5.

According to analyst Daniel Camilo (who also reported the 20 million number a few weeks ago), DLC for Black Myth: Wukong is expected to release sometime around Chinese New Year.

Monkey King Wukong GIF by GIPHY Gaming

So it sold probably 4 million units on the PS5?

Monkfish877

I want to get this game, but I heard it's a boss rush game, I need my downtime between major bosses, fighting boss after boss doesn't seem fun to me, Is the gameplay good?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Eastern studios are going to roll right through the west if they don't course correct their ideological trash.

I agree.

As long as they make some quality games that skew to what a lot of western gamers like..... detailed graphics and production values, it can be a gold mine waiting to happen.

I think that new Delta Force shooter game when released will do great. It's basically a BF rip off watching the videos. Fits right in.

Sentenza

Nope. The remaining 600K were between Playstation AND the other PC platforms aside of Steam (like EGS or the chinese WePlay). While I doubt EGS amounts to much, I wouldn't be surprised if WePlay accounts for at least other 50-100K of these concurrent users.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Similar to the rise of Korean automakers. If you take your eye off the ball, or pursue audiences that don't buy in large numbers, well, it's your market to lose.
Korean electronics too. I remember when Samsung and LG (Lucky Goldstar) were considered junk brands fighting for bottom of the barrel sales against RCA. If you wanted the most budget friendly TV or microwave in the 90s, a Korean brand fit well.

Then suddenly maybe 2000-ish??? Samsung and LG calapulted to being better brands with better tech. And it's been a cakewalk since expanding to home appliances too. Sony, Panasonic, Hitachi, Toshiba etc.... all left in the dust.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
This was one of the few times where I “voted with my wallet” and purchased the game. I knew I wouldn’t get around to playing it for a while, but really wanted to support AAA Chinese game development.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
This was one of the few times where I “voted with my wallet” and purchased the game. I knew I wouldn’t get around to playing it for a while, but really wanted to support AAA Chinese game development.
Same. It was too close to Astrobot, but I bought BMW (and Astrobot) anyway.

Finished and loved both!

Zacfoldor

It's a great game. Way better than you probably expect. I thought it would be lacking in many ways, but actually no. It's up there with Lies of P. One of my top this year. A must play.

PanzerCute

I want to get this game, but I heard it's a boss rush game, I need my downtime between major bosses, fighting boss after boss doesn't seem fun to me, Is the gameplay good?
It's not a boss rush at all. There are a lot of boss encounters, but also a lot of exploration and small mobs to fight.

Nasigil

It's not a boss run game. There are tons of exploration to do and lots of fascinating story.

There are just ridiculous amount of bosses in the game, majority of which are all uniquely designed. There are very few reskins. Some parts of the map have so many bosses in quick succession it almost feels like a boss rush game, especially in chapter 1. But later chapters opens up quite significantly.

I'd say the boss density is close to Sekiro level, probably a little higher, but that's about it. Using the term "boss rush" to describe this game is mostly complimenting the amount of work that went into the boss fight designs, not literally saying the game has nothing other than bosses.

Last edited:

stn

Is there any update about the physical edition? I read something was in the works but have heard nothing since then. Its the only reason I've been waiting to buy the game.

Saturn Dragon

Neo Member

I wonder how good would do some AAA russian game production.
I don't know, some soviet retro-future gears of war styled game or something like that.

Kotaro

Not my cup of tea, but happy many Eastern studios are surpassing the pathetic efforts made by a lot of Western Studios today. No amount of cancel culture or berating or shaming(looking at your IGN and Kotoku) the type of games that common gamers are craving, can stop these games from selling well. It's good to see. Maybe Western Studios will wake up someday and give gamers what they want.

Western industry is cooked!

When your characters/costume designs, story, script/dialog have to go through DEI team/consultants scrutiny and approval, it just kills the creativity. On top of that, they have to deal with DEI hires, where people got hired/promoted not because of their merits and skills, but because of their race, gender and sexual preferences

All those things will add to the game budget and lower the quality of the game

Western industry made their bed, now they must lie in it

Last edited:

PatientGamer

Gold Member
Why does it have such a shocking metacritic score on PS5? Is it unplayable or what? It's sitting at 75 and from only 14 reviews, that's really not good.

Kerotan

Any data regarding the splits on console?
Flirty Flirting GIF
Oh yeah I think I read around 19M on ps5 and 1M on PC.

So 20M all at full price. Helldivers was the surprise hit of the year but considering this is selling faster at full price we have a new contender.

ZehDon

For those keeping score at home, Concord sold roughly 0.001% of Black Myth Wukong's first month sales.

If Western studios don't wake up soon, they won't be around for much longer.

Top Bottom