• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blacklight: Retribution |OT| Bokeh Dreams & Hardsuit Fantasies

Tokubetsu

OT2 Revengeance

• FREE TO PLAY #SWAG #SWERVE
  • Millions of combinations of guns!! Build your weapon part by part. Receiver, muzzle, barrel, scope, magazine, stock, hanger, camo! Build it how you want!
  • Classless! Build your character how you want! Heavy with a sniper rifle? Sure! Fast with heavy machine gun? Check! Built your character however you want!
  • Fast paced 16 Player
  • HRV (see through walls via your high tech visor)
  • Node based boost system AND crafting/fusion of those nodes!
  • 7 Maps
  • Ranked Matches *Coming Soon
  • Party Mode *Coming Soon
  • Spectator mode
  • Friends List, In-Game Mail, Clans
  • Hero Class Characters (2 out now, new ones each month)
  • DX11 Unreal Engine 3 graphics! It's got bokeh!!
  • Sexy fucking mech "Hardsuits" that you're gonna want to put your pe-...I mean, player character in.

Gametypes:
  • Deathmatch
  • Team Deathmatch
  • Capture the Flag
  • King of the Hill
  • Domination
  • Netwar
  • Siege

Siege & Netwar Breakdown

It is free to play, meaning you don't have to pay anything to play. Almost everything in the marketplace can be purchased via the in-game currency GP, which you gain after each match. Use your GP to buy weapons or you can buy Zen with cash to buy weapons without having to gain the GP needed. Only a handful of items are cash only, and they are all cosmetic. No advantage in-game.

Outside of weapons you can also purchase boosts to increase your XP by 50%, taunts, and a bunch of other items.

IMPORTANT GAME SYSTEMS
Hyper Reality Visor (HRV):
The first in-game tool that players should learn how to use effectively is the Hyper Reality Visor or HRV for short. Pressing V will activate HRV enabling the player to see through walls, locate opponents, team mates, weapon depots, and even detect a weak point in the structure of the Hardsuit. While HRV is active weapon depots will glow light blue, team mates blue, and the opposing team orange. Keep in mind that once the player has used HRV it will take a short period of time for the ability to recharge before it can be used again. Knowing the location of the enemy is vital to success. Pairing good communication with the extremely useful HRV will lead your team to victory.

Simply put, it will get you oriented to the current battlefield quickly. Especially if you're a late join.

Videos:
Hot Launch Trailer (Seriously, watch it)
http://www.giantbomb.com/how-to-take-down-a-mech-in-blacklight-retribution/17-4760/
Siege & Netwar Breakdown

Screenshots :
w0DkA.jpg

blr2012-04-2505-37-411zkv4.jpg

blr2012-04-2704-19-4907kpq.jpg

2G9Ef.jpg

blr2012-04-2704-38-48xzjqi.jpg

FAQ:
Isn't this the sequel to Blacklight Tango Down?
Yes, it is the sequel. But that is about where the similarities end! Reworked from the ground up to be F2P.

Is it coming to Steam?
Nothing confirmed, but never say never.

Where can I download it?
www.playblacklight.com

Who makes this game?
Zombie Studios

Reviews:
This is not only a great example of a professional and credible free-to-play game, but it's also one of the best first-person shooters I've played. I am quite serious when I say that, too.
- Destructoid 9/10

Great shooting mechanics and deep customization options make for an addictive combination.
- IGN 8.5

Advice & Tips
thetrin:
My advice for new players: rent mods and guns for a single day and try them out. The price is paltry, and you'll quickly find a combo that works for you. From there, just rent your parts each day until you have enough money to buy what you want forever.

i6fDeCzsCgQLJ.gif

Tokubetsu

One thing I don't think really gets across in the videos is how fast paced it is. It manages to stay fairly "tactical" but is still really fast. Players die quickly.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Blacklight is a lot of fun. I've been playing for a few weeks now, and I really enjoy it. I'm surprised it took so long for GAF to put together an OT.

My advice for new players: rent mods and guns for a single day and try them out. The price is paltry, and you'll quickly find a combo that works for you. From there, just rent your parts each day until you have enough money to buy what you want forever.

Tokubetsu, you should highlight the HRV in the OP a little more. It's such an important part of the game.

Tokubetsu

Blacklight is a lot of fun. I've been playing for a few weeks now, and I really enjoy it. I'm surprised it took so long for GAF to put together an OT.

Tokubetsu, you should highlight the HRV in the OP a little more. It's such an important part of the game.

Added, and your advice too.

mr stroke

Really surprised with this game so far. Feels like a full retail product. Great graphics, nice UI, and the guns feel awesome. Hopefully this game gets more attention.

Card Boy

Banned
element i forgot to ask in the other thread that got locked, but are you associated with the game at all? You came off as if you had contacts with developers or something.

If you are then tell them Oceanic/Australian servers need to be up ASAP!

sprague1980

Neo Member
element i forgot to ask in the other thread that got locked, but are you associated with the game at all? You came off as if you had contacts with developers or something.

Yes he is and so am I. :) I have heard Oceanic/Australian servers are in the works.

element

Yep! I work on the game at Zombie. Like sprague1980 said, Australian servers are in the works, but no confirmed date at this point. I can bring it up tomorrow.

element

Excellent.

If i treat this game like a $50 release, can i buy every weapon with $50?
I don't know what the math is one buying everything, but if you dropped $50 you would be pretty well set. I'd suggest use some GP first to rent some items to find out what you want, but go drop some cash on your ideal build out.

Aaron

Download a four gig game install, start it up and now have to download a four gig patch... what the heck was the first four gig for? A warm up? There's got to be a better solution than that. Not everyone has a super fast connection.

element

Download a four gig game install, start it up and now have to download a four gig patch... what the heck was the first four gig for? A warm up? There's got to be a better solution than that. Not everyone has a super fast connection.
It isn't a 4 GB patch. The patcher displays information very poorly. Trust me, there is a bug about it!

Tokubetsu

Still really early rank, but I can see myself dropping money for zen in the future. I like playing dress up barbie.

I got some items, they look like they'd be permanently normally but it says they're only active for 2days? ='(

sprague1980

Neo Member
Still really early rank, but I can see myself dropping money for zen in the future. I like playing dress up barbie.

I got some items, they look like they'd be permanently normally but it says they're only active for 2days? ='(

Are they items you got from a level up package? Those are free 3 day versions. The item has a time displayed for how long it lasts for. Permanent ones will say Permanent.

Also when purchasing you can choose how long you want to rent the item for or you can choose permanent.

mr stroke

Log in system is all messed up. Try to log back in and it says my password is wrong even though its right on the website. Looks like people on the Blacklight forums are having the same issues. Fix this asap!

sprague1980

Neo Member
Log in system is all messed up. Try to log back in and it says my password is wrong even though its right on the website. Looks like people on the Blacklight forums are having the same issues. Fix this asap!

You logged in fine yesterday? I just tried with no problem. What region are you logging into?

element

I'm not having any issues. Make sure you login with your username, not your forum name.

Tokubetsu

Make sure you have the right username. Forum username/the one displayed on the site after you login isn't the same as the one you actually use to login with. That was messing me up too.

Hey element, I was wondering if this would help the devs out at all? I was talking about the odd stuttering/performance issues in the first version of this thread, so I went ahead and recorded some video of the problem. It came out a little dark, but hopefully it's still helpful.

BLR Stuttering issues

Atomski

I played a bit of the beta and thought it was kinda fun, but I hate how you rent weapons/gear and to permanently own them is pretty pricey. :/

mr stroke

You logged in fine yesterday? I just tried with no problem. What region are you logging into?

yep fine yesterday. US Western region. I thought it was just me with this issue but there are several threads on the official Blacklight forums. Looks like others are having the same issue?

Sucks I really wanted to play this morning but couldn't log in. Tried reseting my password. Nothing seemed to work. I guess I can create a new account? Ill try again when I get home.

I've had this login issue before. I resolved it by logging into the Perfect World website, then logging out, then logging into the game again.

It's weird but it's happened a couple of times.

I played a bit of the beta and thought it was kinda fun, but I hate how you rent weapons/gear and to permanently own them is pretty pricey. :/

Yeah, I feel like there's still a sliiiight imbalance between the rate you get GP/the price things cost permanently. Obviously it shouldn't be super easy to just buy everything with GP, but free users have pretty limited options if they want to own any gear ever.

Killer

Banned
For some reason every time i launch the game it gives me this IE message "This program cannot display the webpage".

Any one knows a fix?

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Wow, only heard about the game through this thread. I got Tango Down in a GFW 99 cent sale and never played it, but this might be just what the doctor ordered!

Top Bottom