• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 writer credits Marvel Studios influence

Bronx-Man

Banned
From screenwriter Michael Green a new interview with Entertainment Weekly:

So many studios and property rights holders have seen the success of Marvel, which we all adore and wonder how to replicate it. For me, the lesson of Marvel is: you don’t begin by building a universe. You begin by telling a story worth telling. And if it is a great story directed well and performed brilliantly and stays with people, it will become the black hole around which a galaxy can form. If you begin by trying to build the universe before creating a film worth watching, well, there be dragons. At no point in the creation of this story or script did anyone talk about spin-offs or how might things continue. It was always: what’s our story and make sure you have a story that is worth the title.”

Crazy how so many miss out on such a simple lesson. But it's no surprise that a piece of art as good as 2049 learned all the right lessons from the MCU.

Coming from the guy who worked on Green Lantern, I'm sure he knew how to properly set-up well at this point. Universal's The Mummy is a bad example of how to set-up a share universe.

Toa TAK

Banned
Coming from the guy who worked on Green Lantern, I'm sure he knew how to properly set-up well at this point. Universal's The Mummy is a bad example of how to set-up a share universe.

Let's stop here before it gets worse.

We don't talk about that movie here.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
What it's interesting is that this is how the MCU started, but not how it is now.

Half the decisions in the MCU nowadays are absolutely about teasing the next movie.

lol, disagree with him pretty strongly on his opinion of marvel films but eh nothing to be mad about.

this thread gonna shit itself pretty soon.

edit: oh wow man cowrote Logan and Blade Runner after coming back from that piece of crap Green Lantern mess. this is definitely his year huh, good for him. he wrote the best Marvel movie since Spidey 2.

Remember that part where Luv and Officer K resolved their differences when they discovered they had moms with the same first name?

Remember that time Wallace gave Robin Wright a jar of his piss?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
What it's interesting is that this is how the MCU started, but not how it is now.

Half the decisions in the MCU nowadays are absolutely about teasing the next movie.

well they needed to expand before wrapping up so many stories

-022.jpg

2740927-avengers_zone_023.png

Ahasverus

Who could ever forget those great, life changing stories from Marvel Studios that totally aren't forgotten at the moment the first step out of the theater is taken.

He didn't take any lessons because Bladerunner 2049 is a leagues different than what the MCU puts out.

BR is also not getting an expanded universe after its box office flop.

He's giving credit to MCU for no apparent reason.

My guess is he wants to work in the MCU factory.

Prompto

Banned
oh wow man cowrote Logan and Blade Runner after coming back from that piece of crap Green Lantern mess. this is definitely his year huh, good for him. he wrote the best Marvel movie since Spidey 2.
Also created and is the showrunner for American Gods. Dude is having one hell of a year

Aselith

Who could ever forget those great, life changing stories from Marvel Studios that totally aren't forgotten at the moment the first step out of the theater is taken.

Tbf Blade Runner has never been about life changing stories and that's not what Blade Runner is remembered for.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think he's actually damning the MCU concept with faint praise. He's saying the reason by it worked was actually because it built on a series of solid standalone films, and the "universe" was secondary to its success.

It's a pointed accusation at those in Hollywood who are cinematic universe obsessed.

ZeoVGM

Banned

Except that's not true. While many might throw in a scene or two, they usually tell a single story.

Doctor Strange ties into the larger narrative but stands alone. Spider-Man: Homecoming relies on previous movies for continuity but still tells a singular story. And Guardians 2 absolutely is its own movie and barely ties into "teases" for the MCU.

There are only two movies where you can make a valid argument for the "omg it's all about teasing the next movie" remark: Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron.

I don't this is a particularly contentious view.

The need to set stuff up actually started having a negative impact on some Marvel films quite quickly. It's fine in certain films, but sometimes it hinders rather than helps.

Iron Man is a great example!

Iron Man 1 = great way to kick things off. Self contained, but a big enough hit to help build a universe

Iron Man 2 = a lesser film for trying to set up the Marvel Universe too much

DiscoJer

I don't understand how it's at all comparable. Marvel is known for having dozens of characters that people know,. They can make a universe because most the characters they have are in the same universe. And people know them, even if it's just through osmosis. .

Blade Runner has what? It's based on a novel by a popular but very eccentric 1950s-1970s Sci-Fi author, although the name itself (Blade Runner) comes from a completely different novel by a different author that the original producers preferred, because they didn't think "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" was catchy enough.

I could see maybe a Philip K Dick shared universe, because due to his religious experiences, he wrote about the same themes a lot (the unreality of the world most notably), but it generally wasn't connected.

The original movie starred a grumpy, bored looking Harrison Ford and a handful of character actors (who actually turned in great performances).

ZeoVGM

Banned
lol, disagree with him pretty strongly on his opinion of marvel films but eh nothing to be mad about.

edit: oh wow man cowrote Logan and Blade Runner after coming back from that piece of crap Green Lantern mess. this is definitely his year huh, good for him. he wrote the best Marvel movie since Spidey 2.

People are far too quick to dismiss writers for what they worked on in the past. While it can obviously be true that they end up only making bad films, the truth is that many of even the great writers will have complete trash on their resume at some point.

HariKari

He's a screenwriter, but he didn't know movies needed a "story worth telling" before the Marvel movies?

The story should be the lead at all times is his point. If you don't have a good story to tell and instead force a movie, it ends up worse for it.

To both give him credit and take some away, he had some strong writing partners on Blade Runner and Logan. Some shine under the right circumstances, and Green Lantern wasn't the right circumstance for anyone.

Top Bottom