• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 writer credits Marvel Studios influence

Ixion090

Oh boy, this thread will be fun. But he's got a point. The MCU established its universe a movie at a time before finally coming into being in the first Avengers. On the other hand, DC had Man of Steel and then, boom, BvS, which tried to do too many things at once. Maybe it would have been smarter to have an individual movie for the main characters before that.

What it's interesting is that this is how the MCU started, but not how it is now.

Half the decisions in the MCU nowadays are absolutely about teasing the next movie.

This. This is my problem with it now.

I go back to what James Mangold said when Logan came out. The guy was totally on point.

Magwik

Banned
So I get what he's saying, but it has no relevance to 2049 because Blade Runner is still pretty niche and his statement applies more to the original because well, this is a sequel.

ZeoVGM

Banned
No. Cinematic universes need individual stories worth telling. You can't just BvS/Justice League your way into one.

It's a bit frustrating because on one hand, I agree. They should have taken their time and built up characters in their own movies before something like BvS. It was such an obvious attempt at trying to jump into what Marvel had started.

I basically look at BvS as Iron Man 2 if Iron Man 2 was the first movie in the MCU.

(Ten fold.)

On the other hand, someone surely could have made BvS a good movie, so does it really matter? But instead, it was one of the worst the genre has ever seen so it's hard to look at many "what if" scenarios.

Lol so many people with bad hot takes in here, people desperately coming up with counterpoints to Green's nod towards the MCU. He never said the films were life-changing masterpieces, all he said was that he shares a similar storytelling philosophy. The Marvel hate is hilarious.

ZeoVGM

Banned
This. This is my problem with it now.

But it's not true. That's ridiculous hyperbole.

If you look at the last three MCU films, how in the world can you say that "half of the decisions" were about setting up the next film.

Hell, there were people who complained that Guardians 2 was too separate.

Bronx-Man

Banned
So I get what he's saying, but it has no relevance to 2049 because Blade Runner is still pretty niche and his statement applies more to the original because well, this is a sequel.
There’s some sequel bait in 2049. Plus all the shorts and anime, so you know WB has at least considered turning it into a franchise.

Cheebo

Banned
Are you mad that everybody thinks Blade Runner is boring?

"Everybody". Who is everybody? The film has pretty near universal praise.

The only ones I see calling it boring are the low attention span generation who is calling it boring without even seeing it because they are too scared to see a movie without much action that is longer than 2 and half hours.

Those who have seen it seem to have praise easily 90% of the time.

Bronx-Man

Banned
what have you done Bronx-Man
tumblr_ok5jb3dfN91rj4ls1o1_500.gif

Ithil

It's what Blade Runner did too, established an interesting world not by throwing it at you, but by telling a small and engaging story within it. 2049 did it too, the "big elements" ultimately are a side thing to the real story.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure why some people are getting worked up. All he says is that some people/studios take the wrong lessons from the Marvel Movies by making or dreaming about making 3-6 movies, creating a cinematic universe (Power Rangers, Mummy, BvS...) without having a solid movie first, while instead you should focus on one standalone movie... make it about that movie and then if it's well received you can build up a franchise/cinematic universe or sequels whatever.

UrbanRats

It's what Blade Runner did too, established an interesting world not by throwing it at you, but by telling a small and engaging story within it. 2049 did it too, the "big elements" ultimately are a side thing to the real story.

I beg to differ.
The story isn't all that engaging at all, and the world building is really what made the movie memorable all these years (marred with the insane production design).

Have yet to see the new one, so i can't speak for it.

Foggy

At no point in the creation of this story or script did anyone talk about spin-offs or how might things continue. It was always: what’s our story and make sure you have a story that is worth the title.

Bless Marvel for showing this man the light

Ithil

I beg to differ.
The story isn't all that engaging at all, and the world building is really what made the movie memorable all these years (marred with the insane production design).

Have yet to see the new one, so i can't speak for it.

If you say so, but you're missing the point, it doesn't go around trying to build the world as the purpose of the film. The world is built by it telling a story set in said world.

I learned more about the world of Blade Runner just following Deckard around doing his job than I would have from any BvS style throwing shit at the audience to build their universe.

Oh wow, Michael Green worked on 2049? As some have mentioned, this is quite the come-back year for him. I liked his Supergirl run.

No matter how any of us feel about the MCU, he's right about worrying about the universe later. That should never be the priority, as demonstrated by BvS, The Mummy and many others. Although I do think Marvel has also missed the mark on that front from time to time with films like Iron Man 2 and Ultron but recently, Homecoming hit a really nice balance.

CloudWolf

The lesson he learned from Marvel was "have a great story"? This wasn't a lesson he could've learned from, you know, Blade Runner?

The only way this inspirstion makes sense is if they're actually thinking of making a Blade Runner Cinematic Universe (please don't).

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
In my head I've decided that he's responsible for the dumb stuff like the android assassin lady and Wallace's villainous monologues and Hampton Fancher is the good one.

Actually since Fancher is credited for story and the base storyline of this movie is the best thing about it that might actually be true.

UrbanRats

If you say so, but you're missing the point, it doesn't go around trying to build the world as the purpose of the film. The world is built by it telling a story set in said world.

I learned more about the world of Blade Runner just following Deckard around doing his job than I would have from any BvS style throwing shit at the audience to build their universe.

In that sense, i see your point (aside from a bit of world building preamble text, in the opening) however i don't see much of that reflected in Marvel movies.
Infact, i'd say having to build up that world, is often an hindrance for those movies.

Logan feels much more effective (and lean) because it doesn't share that concern.

kirblar

The lesson he learned from Marvel was "have a great story"? This wasn't a lesson he could've learned from, you know, Blade Runner?

The only way this inspirstion makes sense is if they're actually thinking of making a Blade Runner Cinematic Universe (please don't).
One of the criticisms of the original Blade Runner is actually its story. It's a detective story without much of an actual mystery. (Something the sequel improves upon.)

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

I would love a Blade Runner anthology cinematic series to be honest. Something that finally shows us C-beams glittering in the dark by Tannhauser Gate. Something off-world.

ReiGun

I mean....yeah. Was this ever in doubt?

Or any number of great stories.

All the lessons one could take from the MCU, and he took the one that was so obvious as to be a given.

Cheebo

Banned
I would love a Blade Runner anthology cinematic series to be honest. Something that finally shows us C-beams glittering in the dark by Tannhauser Gate. Something off-world.

One thing I love about both films is they never show the off-world. They talk about it but they leave it to your imagination.

For me, the lesson of Marvel is: you don’t begin by building a universe. You begin by telling a story worth telling. And if it is a great story directed well and performed brilliantly and stays with people, it will become the black hole around which a galaxy can form

Marvel didn't invent this process tho

mjc

I see what he's saying, but telling a good story is the basic aim of any filmmaker.

It's just that Marvel has done a good job of keeping that constant while building stuff around that.

IHaveIce

Banned
I always love those people who feel like they have to step in when Marvel gets praised in OT, almost everytime those are posters who are top posters in the DCEU thread.

"writer credits Marvel Studios influence" is also a stretch. He's answering a question about the nature of sequels and franchises and chooses Marvel as an example without crediting them with influencing any part of the process used to produce BR2049.

Man that first page. Salty DC fanboys are always good for a laugh.
It's not our fault his statement is hat tipping is oddly attributed to a movie universe that has nothing to do with Blade Runner. If you sense of Team Marvel is too large to understand that then you may need to step away from the fandom for a bit.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
One thing I love about both films is they never show the off-world. They talk about it but they leave it to your imagination.

I agree with this basically 100% of the time but now, after all these years, and after 2049 being so damn good, I'm ready.

Temp_User

That's a really roundabout way of saying something he should have learned in school

This has been a pretty good year for him and he has come a long way since his Green Lantern writing days. This could be his way getting somethings off his chest publicly after keeping it for so long. Probably aimed towards some executives and/or producers.

Of course, this is just me idly speculatin'.

Korigama

Pretty much went in expecting people to get pissy about someone who worked on BR2049 saying something nice about the MCU. Interesting that he went from writing something like Green Lantern to this and Logan.

Top Bottom