• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Teppic

You can also buy things from the Hong Kong marketplace with your regular account. I just bought the extra items by having two profiles logged in at the same time and then signed out the Hong Kong profile where you buy the items.

Although, it then said my downloaded content was damaged, so I downloaded the new game plus again with the same method as above and everything worked again.

Sysgen

It's probably been said somewhere in this thread but using the dlc difficulties may some of your achievements but imo it's worth it since the game is so much better with some challenge.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Alright... I am a bit pissed off at this game. I was going back and trying to get some Achievements I've missed... specifically, the
Moon Laser perfect clear
. Now, the first time I tried it I failed, so I let my character retry and restart from the checkpoint. Failed again, another restart, then I did it perfectly... and the achievement wasn't credited. Okay, I thought.. maybe I need to start over from a cold save, and do it to get the achievement. I turned off the 360, and turned it back on. Loaded my save game, at
the save point in 3F of Nene's Fortress
, plowed through the floor to get back to the game, and did it perfectly, first time, but still no credit for the achievement. I didn't switch to easy mode at all.

I also had a lot of trouble doing the
rescue Kluke as she's falling off the giant robot
towards the end of disk 2, the one where you have to
hit A twice
... took me a long time to get that one, I tried it 3 or 4 times before it finally registered, even though the earlier times it looked like I completed it successfully.

nubbe

Did the game bomb or something?
I can find it for €10 under its initial retail price... I bet if I wait a month or two more it could be even cheaper.

painey

the same thing happened with forza 2, maybe its just because its MGS or something but both these games have been stuck into every bundle available since day 1.. maybe its just to make the "sold" numbers look more impressive.. who knows.

djtiesto said:
Alright... I am a bit pissed off at this game. I was going back and trying to get some Achievements I've missed... specifically, the
Moon Laser perfect clear
. Now, the first time I tried it I failed, so I let my character retry and restart from the checkpoint. Failed again, another restart, then I did it perfectly... and the achievement wasn't credited. Okay, I thought.. maybe I need to start over from a cold save, and do it to get the achievement. I turned off the 360, and turned it back on. Loaded my save game, at
, plowed through the floor to get back to the game, and did it perfectly, first time, but still no credit for the achievement. I didn't switch to easy mode at all.

hit A twice
... took me a long time to get that one, I tried it 3 or 4 times before it finally registered, even though the earlier times it looked like I completed it successfully.

The same thing happened to me for that second achievement you mentioned.

Honestly, I am not going to end up trying for 1000 points in this game. I'll be content to get all of the big achievements, but there are too many dumb secret achievements that I don't want to spend time on. It's bad enough that so many of the achievements are secret, but when they're also bugged, that's just too much for me.

goldenpp72

for the achievements, paritcularly the
Moon base, you can't hit a side a wrong side or you lose the achievement, it isn't just a matter of not getting hit

Tailzo

Sysgen said:
It's probably been said somewhere in this thread but using the dlc difficulties may some of your achievements but imo it's worth it since the game is so much better with some challenge.

may what? Damage?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Tailzo said:
may what? Damage?

I think he meant it may "raise the difficulty" of some of your achievements. Although I'm not going to assume anything because I wouldn't want my achievements messed up - I'm not downloading the harder difficulties till their officially released for my region anyway.

soco

i have a question. it happened around the mid-end of disc 1.
Maro maru has gotten an incurable stink or something. it constantly shows the symbol, but i can't use any item or spell to get rid of it.
does this come with some accessory i have equiped or something? i'd test but i'm not near the game at the moment and was just thinking about it.

soco said:
i have a question. it happened around the mid-end of disc 1.
Maro maru has gotten an incurable stink or something. it constantly shows the symbol, but i can't use any item or spell to get rid of it.
does this come with some accessory i have equiped or something? i'd test but i'm not near the game at the moment and was just thinking about it.

Yeah, it is an accessory. I forget the name of it, but the stats are really good for when you first get it. The same thing happened to me and it took me a while to figure it out.

I'm 5 hours in, having a really good time so far.

I just can't find out how to give this game a score below 8.0... It's sad that most U.S reviews couldn't appreciate it. :(

Nene, I will NEVER give up. (Shu said it 9 times and counting :D )

Sysgen

Shrinnan said:
I think he meant it may "raise the difficulty" of some of your achievements. Although I'm not going to assume anything because I wouldn't want my achievements messed up - I'm not downloading the harder difficulties till their officially released for my region anyway.

no, sorry about being incomplete, it was late. The Hong Kong dlc may invalidate some of the achievements. In other words, they won't work.

djtiesto said:
Moon Laser perfect clear

hit A twice

Do you have the x-mas dlc from japan? I heard that havin these dlc's wont open up some of the achievements.

FutureZombie said:
Yeah, it is an accessory. I forget the name of it, but the stats are really good for when you first get it. The same thing happened to me and it took me a while to figure it out.

dog collar. Not worth equipping imo.

GCQuinton

L0st Id3ntity said:
I'm 5 hours in, having a really good time so far.

I just can't find out how to give this game a score below 8.0... It's sad that most U.S reviews couldn't appreciate it. :(

Nene, I will NEVER give up. (Shu said it 9 times and counting :D )

I'm only about an hour or so in, but I've lost count as to how many times he's called someone a bastard :lol

I'm pretty sure I'm in the last dungeon:
Primitive Cube?
If that's the case, here's my question, for those who have beat the game:
What are these cube worlds? What do the cubes represent? Different time eras? Elements? Matter??
Or am I supposed to keep going until the end so everything can be revealed?

I beat Blue Dragon a couple of days ago, and I'm practically done with the sidequests, with only leveling left ahead of me. I've put about 73 hours into the game at this point, and I must say, I've never had such conflicted feelings about a game before. On the one hand, it is very addictive and fun. Time flies by when you play it, and you always want to see what comes next. The job system worked very well. In fact, it worked better here than in FFT, FFV, or FFX-2 because all of the jobs were worthwhile, and you have more skill slots. On the other hand, it was probably the easiest game I have ever played to completion, and the item searching made some parts of the game excruciatingly boring (I have around 1830 nothings, I believe).

It really is a mixed bag. I was expecting a bad story after reading many reviews, so the lack of a compelling story did not bother me. I liked all of the characters, even if they didn't have a lot of depth. Marumaro steals the show, and I am thinking of checking out the anime just for him. Still, I feel like the battle system was wasted. The game was just too easy, and hard mode should have been included (without having to jump through hoops to get it). Despite two major problems (difficulty and item searching) I suspect that I will eventually end up with over 90 hours of playtime after I finish ranking up everyone's shadow classes. And if I can put 90 hours into a game without regret, that means it's a quality title. I'd have to give Blue Dragon an 8/10. I hope to God that Blue Dragon 2 fixes the two major issues with this game. Blue Dragon truly is two easy changes away from being a AAA title/franchise.

If you're on the fence about getting it, I would recommend a purchase as long as you are prepared for the flaws that this game contains. At the end of the day, it's a very fun game that will keep you playing far longer than most other games you will come across.

soco

FutureZombie said:
and the item searching made some parts of the game excruciatingly boring (I have around 1830 nothings, I believe).

to be fair, item searching isn't a must. there was also some japanese DLC in the form of an glasses (accessory i believe) that allowed you to see where all the nothings were. i remember seeing blimblim have a few screenshots, and at the time i didn't understand why it would show you where nothings were.

soco said:
to be fair, item searching isn't a must. there was also some japanese DLC in the form of an glasses (accessory i believe) that allowed you to see where all the nothings were. i remember seeing blimblim have a few screenshots, and at the time i didn't understand why it would show you where nothings were.

Wow, that accessory would have been helpful. I don't know why we haven't recieved any DLC for the game. Yes, item searching isn't a must, that is true. But, I do think it's part of the core game design, because there's just so much of it. It just feels too wrong to walk past a room without searching everything, when you know there are nothings, stat upgrades, and more available.

It's unbelievable that there is DLC that modifies both of the game's largest flaws, and the US marketplace does not have this content. It really feels like MS did not care about this game at all when they released it here. It's bad enough that the game came out 9 months after it's release in Japan. Talk about half-assing a game release.

Yeah, it's pretty upsetting. Worst part is that when/if they ever put it up there's no guarantee I'll still be interested in playing it again. I wanted to try the new stuff immediately after finishing, not a month or more later.

NMC2006

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
How do you equip stuff like the shoes or belts? Do you have to put them in the accessory slots?
Yep, but you need to power up I think it's the Generalist skill set first and get Accessory +1 and so on, then you can wear those items.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Just finished disc 2. Wow, that was awesome.

The beginning of disc 3 is awesome too.

The end parts of disc 1 were great too.

The.... yeah, I think you get the picture.

KingJ2002

FutureZombie said:
I beat Blue Dragon a couple of days ago, and I'm practically done with the sidequests, with only leveling left ahead of me. I've put about 73 hours into the game at this point, and I must say, I've never had such conflicted feelings about a game before. On the one hand, it is very addictive and fun. Time flies by when you play it, and you always want to see what comes next. The job system worked very well. In fact, it worked better here than in FFT, FFV, or FFX-2 because all of the jobs were worthwhile, and you have more skill slots. On the other hand, it was probably the easiest game I have ever played to completion, and the item searching made some parts of the game excruciatingly boring (I have around 1830 nothings, I believe).

It really is a mixed bag. I was expecting a bad story after reading many reviews, so the lack of a compelling story did not bother me. I liked all of the characters, even if they didn't have a lot of depth. Marumaro steals the show, and I am thinking of checking out the anime just for him. Still, I feel like the battle system was wasted. The game was just too easy, and hard mode should have been included (without having to jump through hoops to get it). Despite two major problems (difficulty and item searching) I suspect that I will eventually end up with over 90 hours of playtime after I finish ranking up everyone's shadow classes. And if I can put 90 hours into a game without regret, that means it's a quality title. I'd have to give Blue Dragon an 8/10. I hope to God that Blue Dragon 2 fixes the two major issues with this game. Blue Dragon truly is two easy changes away from being a AAA title/franchise.

If you're on the fence about getting it, I would recommend a purchase as long as you are prepared for the flaws that this game contains. At the end of the day, it's a very fun game that will keep you playing far longer than most other games you will come across.

one of the few offline games i put in 50 plus hrs in... last game i did that with was final fantasy x

Ponn

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
Just finished disc 2. Wow, that was awesome.

The beginning of disc 3 is awesome too.

The end parts of disc 1 were great too.

The.... yeah, I think you get the picture.

I have to say the whole beginning part of Disc 3 was just awesome. Awesome (and OMG/WTF is going on moment?!) story plot. Especially the whole
cliff/suicide sequence, then the cool heroic moment of Shu getting his shadow back with a plus in Corporeal
Really enjoyed that whole part.

Bebpo

Banned
Ponn01 said:
I have to say the whole beginning part of Disc 3 was just awesome. Awesome (and OMG/WTF is going on moment?!) story plot. Especially the whole
cliff/suicide sequence, then the cool heroic moment of Shu getting his shadow back with a plus in Corporeal
Really enjoyed that whole part.

Agreed.

Plus it was like you're playing a Tim Burton film (the town). Probably one of my favorite towns in any rpg.

Ponn

Banned
Bebpo said:
Agreed.

Plus it was like you're playing a Tim Burton film (the town). Probably one of my favorite towns in any rpg.

Actually when I was running around the town I kept having the KHII Halloween Town theme going through my head:lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I got it today via Gamefly and I've logged about two hours.

Welcome back to games, Sakaguchi!

Wow, I can't believe this game is getting dumped on by so much of the press. The only things I'm not totally sold on so far is the translation and voice work, which I think is kind of awkward. How many times is Shu gonna say that he'll never give up?

Anyway, wow! The graphics are excellent, and the music is OMFG! This is Uematsu's best score in years, I think! The piano theme is highly reminiscent of At Zanarkand, I think, but the world theme that plays when I was matching to the Sheep Camp was superb!

I don't know why people whine about the battle system...it's classic turn based with some nice innovations. I love monster fighting and I think that charging your spells and stuff works well. I'd liken the gameplay systems more to FFV than to DQ anything, notably with the way the jobs work.

The characters are kind of annoying. I don't like any of them so far, except maybe Kluke, who has the worst name ever. Shu sounds like a butch lesbian and Jiro looks and acts like a girl. Like, not one of those androgynous types...just like a girl.

And still...I would never swallow no balls of nothing.

Great game so far, totally misrepresented by some critics I think. We'll see how the story pans out.

Shame Microsoft sent it out to die, etc etc.

The reason reviewers are dumping on it is that it's rather old school, and after the seemingly endless number of RPGs from the PS2, reviewers are a bit overexposed to all the various RPG standards and when you thrown in a generational shift, hype, and in some cases people that aren't as used to the genre, especially the older style games, as others you get a lot of whining and complaining. It's the wrong game at the wrong time in the wrong place. Had this come out 2 years down the line after the 360 getting a series of big name "progressive" jRPGs, reviewers would be going on about how BD is a "charming classic romp heralding the long steeped tradition of Jp RPGs." People are expecting something new, something different, something "revolutionary" and this ain't it, so they whine. There's a huge disconnect going on in reviews and judging that happens at every generational shift, people get focused on what is this game doing to advance things, make use of the next generation, and they sort of forget about things just being fun, though I do have to admit if you've played like 50+ RPGs in 5 years thanks to the PS2, it's not really surprising or wrong (IMO) that you'd want something different, so it's not all black and white, but that's the core issue, I think.

LevityNYC

Banned
I am about 6 hours in. I dont understand all of the negative reviews. I really like it. Its classic, its old school, its awesome.

Dumb question.

Is there a way to change the dialogue to Japanese with English Subtitles?

LevityNYC

Banned
L0st Id3ntity said:
Yes. From the main menu, before you load your profile game, press X to change dialogue language.

Thanks. I am going to try it now. I dont understand Japanese, but I just think the English is a little lacking.

What is up with this shit like "Microsoft sent it out to die"? I saw plenty of advertisements for the game, and I still see magazine and website ads, weeks later.

aries_71

LevityNYC said:
I am about 6 hours in. I dont understand all of the negative reviews. I really like it. Its classic, its old school, its awesome.

Yes... I've to agree. Probably the best game I've played on the 360 since I own it. And I started playing it right after Bioshock, so that's saying a lot. I'm on the second DVD, and so far, I like everything: the graphics have to be seen to be believed, the musical soundtrack is fantastic (except a couple of bad choices for the boss and normal battles), the combat is interesting, the monsters are amazing... a true gem.

chidrock

Hey guys, I just started playing this game and I like it a lot. That surprises me because I never gave a JRPG a try because of menu-based fighting. I liked the art style since I first saw the game and decided to try it as a change of pace. I have a couple of questions that I was hoping that you guys could help me out with...

I'm not too sure what the best thing to do with the shadow skills. As you all know, each person in your party starts off with their own thing - sword, white and black. I'm guessing that I have to go into the menu under shadow skills to switch these if I want the character to do something else. Say I want Jiro to use black magic spells, I'll have to switch his class to black magic and then level up. You only get experience if your shadow is switched to that class right? So if he's white magic and using black magic spells, the exp will go to his white magic rank, right? Also, if I want the benefits of the generalist class, I'll have to switch so I can level that one up.

Last question - what would be the best thing to do - level up the first class and then switch, or just keep switching based on what spells are available? Right now my party's all ranked 15 in their original position and I beat the first boss about 6 hours in.

Sorry if these are dumb questions; this is the first true rpg that I've played. (KOTOR being the closest thing besides Zelda) I would go through the thread, but I want to avoid spoilers. Thanks GAF!

Sysgen

chidrock said:

Everything you said is right. As far as shadow stuff make them what you want. The prevailing opinion is to get everyone generalist and some extra skill slots by leveling up that shadow. Personally I also split Barrier and Support between my 2 magic users and gave defender to the sword kid, but do what suits you best.

Nolan.

Bebpo said:
Agreed.

I wish there was more happening in that town though or it was a bit bigger to explore because I kind of liked the look/feel to it.

Thyrus

Some shadow tips:

Everyone should have generalist to 36 for skill and accessories slots.

Casters should have support at 35 for double cast and the quicken charge from white mage. Couple those with some serious agility accessories and your casters become the most powerfull force in BD.

Having everyone at 33 white mage is nice too, free ressurections.

Swordsmaster and monk makes a hell of a combination for physical attacks, get both to 35ish and watch the mayhem unfold.

Getting a character to barrier level 50 is important for grinding hehe.

chidrock

Cool guys; thanks for the answers. I didn't really think about what I was doing until I started wondering how I could get the guy with the white magic to do spells that would hurt my enemies.

So since I'm at 15 and 1 for everything else for each of my characters, I guess now's a good time to start trying to level up some of my other classes. Hopefully this game won't turn into a grindfest - that's another thing that scared me about RPGs lol.

soco

i think some others have mentioend it, but i'm starting to think the game was almost surely designed to be played using the barrier magic a lot. it's kinda cool to just walk into enemies and watch them disappear and getting SP for it.

JoeFenix

Just finished it last night.

82 hours, all side quests done except dragons + king poo/gold robot. Played on Hard mode from the start.

What a game! The last stretch of the game was just so fucking good it's not even funny. Amazingly epic music and the whole ending section made the plot WAY better imo.

Game gets a couple of knocks because of framerate/v-synch issues and although the music is great the arrangement is sometimes sloppy and it could have used a couple more tracks. Translation is pedestrian and lacking soul but it's workable.
I bet the characters are much more charming in the original japanese script though.

I'm sad it's over because there isn't anything else like this coming out anytime soon :(

Anyone on the fence should seriously run out and get this game. Great great stuff! I hope Lost Odyssey ends up kicking this much ass!

Top Bottom