• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

SuperPac

OK, I've gotten the "disc is unplayable" message TWICE while I'm in the
Sea Cube.
The only save point in that area is at the very beginning. :\ I got to what I figure is the last area there, and bam -- disc is unplayable. I noticed the DVD drive wasn't sounding too good so I tried to warp out...up comes up the message. My disc 3 isn't visibly scratched tho'! :\

Tailzo

SuperPac said:
OK, I've gotten the "disc is unplayable" message TWICE while I'm in the
Sea Cube.
The only save point in that area is at the very beginning. :\ I got to what I figure is the last area there, and bam -- disc is unplayable. I noticed the DVD drive wasn't sounding too good so I tried to warp out...up comes up the message. My disc 3 isn't visibly scratched tho'! :\
Sounds like you need to send your 360 to MS. It happened to me while playing Oblivion. Right before I got the message, there was no sound in Oblivion. The sad thing, I had to send in my 360 3 times before they sent me a unit that didn't do that. And I tried 3 new retail discs of Oblivion, first beliving the problem was the gamedisc. Later I got freezing errors and had to send in my 360 a fourth time.

Hopefully you will not have the same experience. Anyway, I look forward to your next podcast episode.

cilonen

Something made me reprieve this game, so I'm persevering with it!

Don't get me wrong, it's a triple A title and obviously a high quality production, but it and I haven't quite clicked yet.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
:bow Mistwalker :bow

I put in a good 3 or so hours in today and I'm diggin every minute of it.

Visuals are superb: Check
Music is fantastic: Check
Twist on a familiar Battle System: Check
Kickass Classes: Check

The game simply rocks. I love baiting enemies closer to eachother just for the increase in SP you get from killing them all in one battle. Wonderful start to Nextgen JRPGs

<3 Mistwalker

Willy Wanka said:
I used stink but not field barrier. Keep running in between and around a large group and if one of the robots engages you in battle, flee. When you come back to the field area you can't be attacked for a little bit of a time and usually a couple more robots will have moved in. I had to do this three or four times before I eventually got the full 10 in my encounter circle. You get the achievement once you beat all 10 of them.

Finally got the achievement. Ended up leaving the area until I was at disk 3, right after you the second town. Pretty easy this time, the robots didn't run away as much. Just left the controls untouched for about ten minutes. When I got back, there were a shit load of them just waiting outside the ring. Ended up fighting around 14+ of them, back-to-back. :D

Looks like the game is finally winding down(Noluta Village theme song is fucking awesome, second only to Kluke's theme). Only have to do one or so more main quest before heading to the boss. I'll probably create a save, head straight to the boss and beat it. Then I'll come back and work on the optional stuff. Too many games coming out and I still need to work on Eternal.

laceystorm said:
this game is super underrated. love love loved it. too bad it didn't get the push it deserved from ms

QFT

It drags at some points, but overall the game is really good. The framerate dips quite a bit, but it doesnt really hamper the gameplay (may mess up your timing when charging an attack) so it didn't bug me. Those are really my only complaints, and of course the voice acting was pretty bad like everyone has said. The graphics, sound (uematsu ftw) and gameplay is rock solid. The characters are likable (even Maro) and well designed, and the story is satisfying.

Finished it up a little over a week ago at 82 hours play time (a good portion of that was spent getting achievements, finished at 780 points). Gonna play again shortly to finish off the rest of the achievements, so it will probably wind up lasting me a good ~100 hours total.

The reviewers were totally off the mark with this one IMO, easily an 8/10 game.

GreekWolf

Uuuuuuuugh! I've just noticed that my character's stat windows have BURNED into my Panasonic Plasma screen. I didn't think this sort of thing could happen anymore, especially with the newer models.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this problem, or am I just screwed? I really don't have the desire to run out and plop down another couple thousand dollars on a television.

BluWacky

Kiyamon said:
Do is this a Platinum Collection now? I almost bought it the other day, but now I heard this will be Platinum and $29.99 starting in November... true?

Possibly. It's dropped £15 since release in the UK, so it's possible it'll get further reductions soon.

soco

so has anyone tried the "New Plus" mode with the US version of the game? do you keep your levels and your ranks?

also does anyone know if it affects any of the achievements?

i didn't know it was so difficult to get all enemies in the logbook

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow, Hard mode can be ruthless.

So I'm somewhere in Disc 1, going through some crystal cave dungeon, slaughtering everything and after about an hour and a half of play nearing the exit, I get jumped by this hammer ghost monster that 1-shots my near max health party.

Game Over, thanks for playing. :(

cilonen

I've figured out one of the things which was niggling me; the viewpoint. I can't get the camera close to the ground so I can see as much of the far horizon as I want to. This is worse in the world map areas than the 'dungeon' zones. Is this fixable?

Also, I restarted with Japanese voices - much better :)

chidrock

GreekWolf said:
Uuuuuuuugh! I've just noticed that my character's stat windows have BURNED into my Panasonic Plasma screen. I didn't think this sort of thing could happen anymore, especially with the newer models.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this problem, or am I just screwed? I really don't have the desire to run out and plop down another couple thousand dollars on a television.

Has it gone away yet? I have a panasonic plasma too, but I never had anything burn in on me in the two years that I've had it. Ever once in a while I'll get something that stays for a minute or two if the tv goes dark, but it goes away after a new screen comes up. Did you leave it one screen or something?

FafaFooey

I've had the game for over 2 days now and I'm at the Gul Mountains right now.
Which is where you have to go to after "saving" Marumaro's village

It's nowhere near revolutionary but it's so much fun to play. And that's coming from someone who tried to get into Dragon Quest VIII and just couldn't stand it. The game is no 9/10 material, but Eurogamer giving it a 5/10 is just a disgrace.

Brandon F

cilonen said:
I've figured out one of the things which was niggling me; the viewpoint. I can't get the camera close to the ground so I can see as much of the far horizon as I want to. This is worse in the world map areas than the 'dungeon' zones. Is this fixable?

God the overworld is such garbage in this game. The camera is set in an awkard viewpoint, and the map isn't too helpful. Wandering about takes a lot of mental focus on memorizing landmarks and structures to figure out where to explore. It's just so archaic for a game like this.

I also find the camera gets far too close on the character in dungeons to the point that I never feel there is an optimal viewpoint there either.

6/10 seems fair so far. Nothing about the game really excels.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Brandon F said:
God the overworld is such garbage in this game. The camera is set in an awkard viewpoint, and the map isn't too helpful. Wandering about takes a lot of mental focus on memorizing landmarks and structures to figure out where to explore. It's just so archaic for a game like this.
Truth. Why they didnt implement some type of FOW or something is mindnumbing.

Brandon F said:

I also find the camera gets far too close on the character in dungeons to the point that I never feel there is an optimal viewpoint there either.

The overworld map sucks, but it really doesn't get you too confused. Most of the time spent on the map is to get from point A to point B(rarely is there an optional point C). It's pretty linear if you think about it. Also, the overworld always has some sort of dirt road that directs you to your destination, though it may be hard to see at times. And if you do stray off and end up discovering a new area/town/dungeon, the game wont let you enter it, since its out of sequence from the main story('cept when you get to the 3rd disk).

The biggest fault for me though is the retarded compass. How the hell am I supposed to know which way is south and north when the only thing it has to differenciate itself is two colors? It gets annoying when you have to keep refering to the world map to figure out which way is north.

yukoner

Masta_Killah said:
The overworld map sucks, but it really doesn't get you too confused. Most of the time spent on the map is to get from point A to point B(rarely is there an optional point C). It's pretty linear if you think about it. Also, the overworld always has some sort of dirt road that directs you to your destination, though it may be hard to see at times. And if you do stray off and end up discovering a new area/town/dungeon, the game wont let you enter it, since its out of sequence from the main story('cept when you get to the 3rd disk).

The biggest fault for me though is the retarded compass. How the hell am I supposed to know which way is south and north when the only thing it has to differenciate itself is two colors? It gets annoying when you have to keep refering to the world map to figure out which way is north.

Once you get the airship this game gets SO much better.

They mark about 15 places on the map, and you can just go exploring, and there's tons of cool stuff to see, it's much much nicer than the linear path that occupies the first 2/3 of teh game.

How are people liking this game after they are a ways into it? I'm still contemplating getting it because I hear the beginning is atrocious.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Brandon F said:

I agree, i'm towards the end of Disc 2 and I don't even feel like playing it anymore.
Plus, who's idea was it to blur the game to the point where you can't see anything?

There are however, some great music tracks, and some of the areas (when you can see them) are beautiful. The class system, before you start maxing stuff out, is interesting, but been done before far better. There should have been at least a couple more classes being unlocked in Disc 3 to keep things interesting.
Normally this would be the making of a decent RPG, but I really don't care about the characters, and the story is pointless. This IMO knocks it down to below average.

I'd right now rate it 7/10. I'm going to try to finish it, but Eternal Sonata has me currently (although, I see it's battle system getting old rather quickly too).

Hunahan

Banned
I don't get it. I downloaded the New Game+ from the Honk Kong marketplace (thanks for the help), booted the game up, picked "impossible" and started over with my ~67 level party.

Easy. As. Cake.

Seriously, the game is even easier than the regular game was the first time around. I can one-hit kill bosses even.

Did something go wrong? Or is it like this for everyone?

NMC2006

Banned
DXMachina said:
How are people liking this game after they are a ways into it? I'm still contemplating getting it because I hear the beginning is atrocious.
I love it, I am on disc 3, the beginning is fine, I really dunno why there is so much bad press about this game.

Hunahan said:
I don't get it. I downloaded the New Game+ from the Honk Kong marketplace (thanks for the help), booted the game up, picked "impossible" and started over with my ~67 level party.

Easy. As. Cake.

Seriously, the game is even easier than the regular game was the first time around. I can one-hit kill bosses even.

Did something go wrong? Or is it like this for everyone?

There's you're problem. You're way overpowered for the beginning. If you have field barrier, equip that until you get to the later disks.... or just start the game over without new game+.

Hunahan

Banned
Masta_Killah said:
There's you're problem. You're way overpowered for the beginning. If you have field barrier, equip that until you get to the later disks.... or just start the game over without new game+.

Hmm. Ok.

I guess I just assumed that Impossible would be made for people who had already taken out the Golden Robo and King Poo Snake etc.

Guess it's a zip to the later portions, then.

Not a big loss since the beginning of the game really seems pretty boring the second time through anyways, eh.

Thanks.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Does anyone else get massive framerate hiccups while riding around in the mechat? Mine stuters every three seconds or so.

If not, it's time to send this cumbersome white box back to Microsoft...again. The connection between the graphics processing unit and the CPU is loose (apparently the reason for all of the red-rings) and I need a lowly-paid Indian mechanic to fix it.

...Great. Oh, and the skate demo takes about five minutes to load (the screen is black for five minutes) and Forza 2's CGI introduction stutters like no other as well. Guess that further cements matters.

Hunahan

Banned
dirtmonkey37 said:
Does anyone else get massive framerate hiccups while riding around in the mechat? Mine stuters every three seconds or so.

If not, it's time to send this cumbersome white box back to Microsoft...again. The connection between the graphics processing unit and the CPU is loose (apparently the reason for all of the red-rings) and I need a lowly-paid Indian mechanic to fix it.

...Great. Oh, and the skate demo takes about five minutes to load (the screen is black for five minutes) and Forza 2's CGI introduction stutters like no other as well. Guess that further cements matters.

That's definitely worse than I encountered, although I did get the occasional hiccup. It seemed for me it was mostly centered around large scenery changes such as the ice portion or the forest, etc.

I have noticed that BD performance overall seems to suffer the more full the harddrive gets, however. If you're storing a whole lot of demos or videos or something, you might try clearing them out and seeing if it runs smoother for you before shipping the console out again...

GreekWolf

Suikoguy said:
I agree, i'm towards the end of Disc 2 and I don't even feel like playing it anymore.
Plus, who's idea was it to blur the game to the point where you can't see anything?
Let me tell you... if you quit now, before you get to Disc 3, then you're doing yourself an incredible disservice. I have no idea why they designed the game this way, but the entire payoff is once you get to the third disc and gain "complete" access to the overworld.

There are more than a few hidden/secret dungeons, bosses, uber items and even towns to discover. All of them infinitely more interesting than what you've encountered thus far.

Though I did enjoy myself a bit more than you did through the first half of the game, I'm simply amazed by the jump in quality towards the last 1/3.

soco

dirtmonkey37 said:

i get them every few seconds. it's when it's going from area to area. it pauses momentarily (sometimes like half a second) to load the next bit.

Sysgen

I need to know if the player is allowed to free roam after the ending or do I need to wrap up loose ends before I start the ending?

Posted in another thread, but here is more appropriate:

I just started playing and I wanted to make sure that there is at least somewhat of a challenge as the game goes on. I'm in the second area off of the world map and battles are a breeze. This is just how the game starts...right?

I really don't feel like starting over on Hard Mode.

DXMachina said:
Posted in another thread, but here is more appropriate:

I just started playing and I wanted to make sure that there is at least somewhat of a challenge as the game goes on. I'm in the second area off of the world map and battles are a breeze. This is just how the game starts...right?

I really don't feel like starting over on Hard Mode.

It is ridiculously easy for the entire game, sorry.

Sysgen

FateBreaker said:
It is ridiculously easy for the entire game, sorry.

Whoever was responsible for balancing normal mode or had input to the game designer should stay far away from Lost Odyssey.

If I found the first boss on hard mode to be extremely difficult, am I fucked as far as the rest of the game goes? Normal mode was just too damned easy...

Teppic

DXMachina said:
If I found the first boss on hard mode to be extremely difficult, am I fucked as far as the rest of the game goes? Normal mode was just too damned easy...
You can do what I do, play on normal and create your own difficulty. I'm trying to avoid as many enemies I can and won't always get the latest equipment.

Kid Marin

DXMachina said:
If I found the first boss on hard mode to be extremely difficult, am I fucked as far as the rest of the game goes?
No, the first two bosses (hard mode) are quite brutal to begin with, further bosses are easier IMO... until the final dungeon of the first disc. :D

Kid Marin said:
No, the first two bosses (hard mode) are quite brutal to begin with, further bosses are easier IMO... until the final dungeon of the first disc. :D

Yeah, it does seem to be getting a bit easier. (at least in terms of normal enemies)

And are there any combinations of abilities that I should definitely look into? Still deciding whether Shu should branch out to Monk or Guardian as his second class...

deadbeef

OK so I bought this game yesterday - How do I select the difficulty? All I get when I start the game is a "Start Game" option that starts with Shu next to a well - then it goes into some cutscenes and an initial battle. From what I understand there is a Normal and a Hard setting, but I can't find it anywhere, and they don't even talk about it in the manual. Help?

PhatSaqs

Banned
Dice Man said:
OK so I bought this game yesterday - How do I select the difficulty? All I get when I start the game is a "Start Game" option that starts with Shu next to a well - then it goes into some cutscenes and an initial battle. From what I understand there is a Normal and a Hard setting, but I can't find it anywhere, and they don't even talk about it in the manual. Help?
Go to Blue Dragon on your games list via XBL. U have to DL it.

DXMachina said:
Yeah, it does seem to be getting a bit easier. (at least in terms of normal enemies)

And are there any combinations of abilities that I should definitely look into? Still deciding whether Shu should branch out to Monk or Guardian as his second class...

For Shu, if he's going to be your power character, I'd level up guardian. It gives you a boost in defensive stats and allows for the protect party skill, which allows him to take the hits that would have been aimed at other members. This free's up your magic users to heal and cast black and supporting spells on Shu. i'd get Maru started on the monk ablitity, since you get him early in the game, and you can also level up some of his attack ability till he gets to around lv2 sword. This skill+charged attack(Monk)+recieve hp for physical attacks= lots of hit points taken away. I'd also start leveling up assassin with one of your other characters to steal some rare items from bosses later in the game. Plus assassin gives you the negotiate skill, which helps in purchasing some of the more expensive items in the game.

soco

DXMachina said:

one character MUST do barrier magic to 50, preferably one of the magic characters, because once you have that levelling everything else up is simple.

everyone to level 36 (or whatever the last level is in generalist) and beyond that i just did my physical guys in the physical skills. i like monk + fighter for the charge and range extending items, and the ninja's double strike on all of them.

Brandon F

Arghh. Spent 30 minutes last night trying to perfect the moon laser minigame at the end of disc 2. After finally nailing it without getting touched, I didn't get perfect because at some point I must have landed a non-damaging hit.

Gah...silly achievements. I'll try again tonight...sigh.

soco

finally finished it. ~80 hours (still didn't get or defeat everything) on normal.

i loved toripo at the end and that his voice is Toriyama and was recorded on a visit. that was just awesome that they included a message from Toriyama in the game.

i'm totally pleased with the game. i'll play back through on new+ to try and finish some of the other final things i think, like King Poo and perhaps the maxed out achievements. i might wait until after eternal sonata though.

Finally had enough time yesterday to do one of the optional quest. Ended up doing the sea cube stage. Pretty easy all the way through thanks to field barrier lv3...until I got to the boss. Luckily, I came prepared and had Shu with the protect ally skill and some elemental negating accesories. I also had my main black magic user keep casting wallus on Shu and my other caster cast walla on the front row. Match took longer then I was expecting, though it was mostly due to me trying to steal some rare item from the boss. This is probably the second most powerful enemy I've faced so far, right behind those tigers at Jibral Castle. If you're not prepared for the battle, you'll get wiped out easily. Even at normal difficulty+ every spell unlocked+great equipment+lvl40, the boss was still able to do 2-300 hp damage. This is when the guardian skill really came in handy. Guardian+Wallus+defensive elemental accessories was a godsend.

Top Bottom