• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

I put in about 6 hours and I have to say that I'm mad that I didn't pick this title up sooner. I'm loving it so far. I found it hard to put the controller down to do my school work :lol

widgetraf

I just picked up a Way of the Thief item. Is this thing a 1 time use only? The Creature Compendium can be used multiple times.. are all support items multi-use or is it just for the Creature Compendium?

u_neek

Almost done now.. 36 hours in and at
the second floor of the Primitive Cube
. Still missing some sidequests though.

JeStaH

JoeFenix said:
Just finished it last night.

82 hours, all side quests done except dragons + king poo/gold robot. Played on Hard mode from the start.

What a game! The last stretch of the game was just so fucking good it's not even funny. Amazingly epic music and the whole ending section made the plot WAY better imo.

Game gets a couple of knocks because of framerate/v-synch issues and although the music is great the arrangement is sometimes sloppy and it could have used a couple more tracks. Translation is pedestrian and lacking soul but it's workable.
I bet the characters are much more charming in the original japanese script though.

I'm sad it's over because there isn't anything else like this coming out anytime soon :(

Anyone on the fence should seriously run out and get this game. Great great stuff! I hope Lost Odyssey ends up kicking this much ass!

Seriously this game kicks major ass. This has become one of my favorite games EVER and I hate RPG's!

I finished in about 62 hours ( with most side quests ) on regular mode which is fine for me since I'm not an RPG veteran by any stretch. I also played though using the japanese track with the subtitles. Which is what I also prefer with foreign films. I always want the experience as originally intended!

I whole heartedly agree that anyone on the fence should play this game!! Especially for non experience RPG players. This is a great introduction into the genre. It has definately sparked my interest.

BlizzyAzz

To bad my German version doesnt have the Japanese track, but believe me the English dub is way way way better than the German one.

Btw just arrived at Gibral, so far my impressions:

Normal mode is way to easy (really don't understand why the hard mode isnt availible from the start).
Graphics and sound are beautiful and pretty unique.
The camera + the map are killing me sometimes.

I agree absolutely that this game is a good entry in the RPG genre.

Nolan.

! Wow!. So I just briefly listened through the Blue dragon Soundtrack that I ordered and the soundtrack is just so brilliant. I mean Uematsu is a genius I don't buy many sountracks at all but I love a lot of the sounds so much especially disc2 is just packed full of greatness (imo). Now I would buy LO just to hear the music alone. Love nene's theme, kinda like the jibral one and there's a couple others that are so beautiful like track 16 disc 1 and 7 disc 2. By the way thanks to everyone that pointed out where to get it thanks guys.

BioFan

KingJ2002 said:
how the hell do you beat those damn dragons?

especially the phantom dragon.
is there a guide to find all these dragons?
I've only defeated 1 I think...1 more I missed but seems like the walkthrough in gamefaqs didnt mention about these 5 hidden dragons...

KingJ2002

BioFan said:
is there a guide to find all these dragons?
I've only defeated 1 I think...1 more I missed but seems like the walkthrough in gamefaqs didnt mention about these 5 hidden dragons...

I found and beat them all... i recommend being on level 60 and having endure, resurrection and doublecast spells to make quick work of them. each time you beat them a chest will appear with one of their tooths but here's where they're located and some helpful tips:

1. Moody Dragon: Underground Cave he's to the right of the final save point before you go to the ancient factory. defeat all the kelolons there (great grinding spot) and before you leave moody dragon will fly down.

2. Blizzard Dragon: On the cliff to the right outside of Kelaso Village. Alot stronger than Moody dragon.

3. Phantom Dragon: In the Glass Sphires Desert to the far right. Very difficult if you do not have your magic attacks up. Do not use corporeal or physical attacks (magic sword still works) as they only heal him. Use steal (mixed with treasure hunt) to get nene's bracelet. you only have one shot to do this or you can never get it in the game.

4. Amntheyst (sp?) Dragon: On coastal road by the land slide (opposite of talta village)

5. Pyro Dragon Inside Primitive Cube World - Level 2... he should be the last before a series of bosses in there.

... once you beat this boss and you have all 5 "tooths" use the warp point to go back to kelaso village and talk to the village chief. he will turn around and give you the dragon bracelet and a achievement :)

Hunahan

Banned
Wait...there's no Game+ mode???

I thought hard mode was supposed to be available once you clear the game.

What's the dealio? How do I access it?

Hunahan said:

You have to download it, I think it's on the HK marketplace.

Hunahan said:

make a hong kong account and download it off of their marketplace

FafaFooey

Every time I see that Blue Dragon cover in a store my hands start itching. The only RPGs I've ever really liked were Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 10. In other words, I'm no RPG expert or die hard RPG fan. The grinding is my biggest turnoff in these kind of games. But then again, I hear Blue Dragon isn't that much of a grindfest.

The demo was amazingly awful and made me not wanna buy it anymore. I still have Bioshock and The Darkness to finish... but still.. tt looks so tempting.

FafaFooey said:
Every time I see that Blue Dragon cover in a store my hands start itching. The only RPGs I've ever really liked were Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 10. In other words, I'm no RPG expert or die hard RPG fan. The grinding is my biggest turnoff in these kind of games. But then again, I hear Blue Dragon isn't that much of a grindfest.

The demo was amazingly awful and made me not wanna buy it anymore. I still have Bioshock and The Darkness to finish... but still.. tt looks so tempting.

so far from what I've played (and read here on GAF), the title is indeed very much a "lighthearted and laidback" jRPG....meaning, no grinding to enjoy the title if thats your concern
Coming off of the last RPG I finished a few months back, which was a SMT title...I wanted a laidback RPG

...seriously, pick this shit up....like....today

Tobor

Y2Kev said:
I'm kind of souring on the game...it's just too easy.

It's really, really easy, but I'm still digging it. I'm a couple of hours into disc 2, and the only thing that pisses me off is I still haven't figured out how
to break any of the colored barriers yet.

timmy

Thinkin about buying this once I beat Bioshock.

Question: Does it have a lot of "missable" items and bosses a la recent final fantasy games? That shit annoys me to no end.

Llyranor

For those people complaining about the easy difficulty, you really should be playing on hard mode (yes, I know I know, MS should have made it available on the disc, but shrug). The bosses are destroying me, and I love it.

Hunahan

Banned
TerryLee81 said:
You have to download it, I think it's on the HK marketplace.

Wow. You need the HK download for the Game+ mode even? Annoying.

Anyone have a link for the info you need to make a HK account then? T'would be much appreciated.

Also - does your encyclopedia transfer over on Game+, or no?

PhatSaqs

Banned
Llyranor said:
For those people complaining about the easy difficulty, you really should be playing on hard mode (yes, I know I know, MS should have made it available on the disc, but shrug). The bosses are destroying me, and I love it.
Do you know if you have to restart once you DL this?

Hunahan said:
Wow. You need the HK download for the Game+ mode even? Annoying.

Anyone have a link for the info you need to make a HK account then? T'would be much appreciated.

Also - does your encyclopedia transfer over on Game+, or no?

this is how i did it. i made a new htomail account and chose HK as my location while signing up. went to make an xbl account and linked it that email i made and chose HK as my location, faked all other info they asked for.

ta da. HK account

Y2Kev said:
I'm kind of souring on the game...it's just too easy.

you should've started on hard mode. from the get go i could tell it was too easy so i downloaded the HK dlc and restarted on hard.

I'm attempting to get the achievements for maxing the shadow rank of each class right now. I have three classes for each character at 99, so there are 6 more classes to go. I'm doing the grinding in the underground river because there are tons of those little green guys running around, and they're each worth 2sp (4sp with black belts or an eye patch). I think I've spent about 4-5 hours in there so far. It's going to be a long grind, but I would like to see 900+ points under Blue Dragon on my gamerscore.

How many people have these achievements, or are planning on getting them?

JoeFenix

FutureZombie said:
I'm attempting to get the achievements for maxing the shadow rank of each class right now. I have three classes for each character at 99, so there are 6 more classes to go. I'm doing the grinding in the underground river because there are tons of those little green guys running around, and they're each worth 2sp (4sp with black belts or an eye patch). I think I've spent about 4-5 hours in there so far. It's going to be a long grind, but I would like to see 900+ points under Blue Dragon on my gamerscore.

How many people have these achievements, or are planning on getting them?

Let me share with you my method. It involves very limited input from you so you can just let it do it's thing while you do something else!

Warp to lazer zone and go forward until you see a spot with a treasure chest and 3-5 pink mole things. Equip field barrier level 3 and put stink on all your characters (garlic).

There you go, check every 10 mins to switch classes and accept new skills gained if the shadow class doesn't have all of them yet.

WAYYYY easier this way :p

Brashnir

JoeFenix said:
Let me share with you my method. It involves very limited input from you so you can just let it do it's thing while you do something else!

Warp to lazer zone and go forward until you see a spot with a treasure chest and 3-5 pink mole things. Equip field barrier level 3 and put stink on all your characters (garlic).

There you go, check every 10 mins to switch classes and accept new skills gained if the shadow class doesn't have all of them yet.

WAYYYY easier this way :p

the best spot I found for Field Barrier 3 exploitation is the hill on the peninsula right next to Kelaso Village. The pelicans there give 3SP per kill, and they respawn quickly.

Surfheart

FafaFooey said:

The full game is sooo much better than the impression of it that the demo gives.
I too struck the game off my list after playing the demo, but decided to give it a go after the glowing praise here in this thread. I'm glad I did.

chidrock

Chalk me up as another person who almost didn't get the game because of the demo. I was waiting for the game to come here for a long time, but didn't like the feel of the demo. I wound up getting the game anyway to give it a real shot because of this thread, and I'm happy that I did. I'm just glad that I didn't play too much of the demo and have anything spoiled for me. Doing this one from the beginning is doing it right...

the only thing the demo helped me with is get a feel for the battle system and decide whether I liked it or not (and the titles overall "feel")

...and it succeeded in that department...

cilonen

Surfheart said:
The full game is sooo much better than the impression of it that the demo gives.
I too struck the game off my list after playing the demo, but decided to give it a go after the glowing praise here in this thread. I'm glad I did.

Opposite for me :/

Full game isn't doing anything for me - It's being traded for something else this weekend, probably skate.

chidrock

AgentOtaku said:
the only thing the demo helped me with is get a feel for the battle system and decide whether I liked it or not (and the titles overall "feel")

...and it succeeded in that department...

I probably should've mentioned that it's my first jrpg, so having everything thrown at me at once like that wasn't as good as adding things on one by one for me. Plus having more story to go along with it made it better.

Just beat the game, 43 hours. I'm going to give my full impressions a little later, after the OMG-AMAZING-AWESOMENESS-HOLY-WHOA of the ending sinks in. But I just needed to say, that was an incredible ending, an awesome
unexpected
final boss, and some of the best final boss music (all three of 'em) I've heard in a videogame. Bravo!!

trmas

Banned
Alright the game is too easy - thinking about restarting on Hard mode, but need some ideas on building the characters up

It seems that balance is key, with a heavy emphasis on magic

What about buffing the magic users with some good defense? Anyone tried this? I think I will try the following

Shu - SM to lev 3 or so for first set of skills, then run him to BM level 8 for Magic Regen, then back to SM, opening up Generalist, then Monk, then probably Guardian or Assassin last

The mages can trade off between BM and WM, but I'm thinking about throwing in Guardian for the hitpoints instead of Support or Barrier magic until later..

All characters get Generalist as first upgrade... would I get waxed in Hard mode with this strategy?

Naeblish

Once you get black magic up, magic is much more powerfull than standard melee. I think 1/2 guardians at front with 3/4 black mages in the back would make a pretty powerfull party. Give 2 of them white magic, the other 2 support and barrier. And ofcourse Assassin to 14 for the agility.

But don't mind me much, im playing normal halfway through on disc 2 ;). Wish i would have known about the hard difficulty sooner, game is pretty boring now. Oh well, too far in to go back.

Naeblish said:
Once you get black magic up, magic is much more powerfull than standard melee. I think 1/2 guardians at front with 3/4 black mages in the back would make a pretty powerfull party. Give 2 of them white magic, the other 2 support and barrier. And ofcourse Assassin to 14 for the agility.

But don't mind me much, im playing normal halfway through on disc 2 ;). Wish i would have known about the hard difficulty sooner, game is pretty boring now. Oh well, too far in to go back.

I have 2 magic casters in the rear, all having every magic discipline, and 3 attackers in the front. One has attack/guardian. Another is attack/monk. and the last one has attack/assassin/magic. Works pretty well for me. My only problem is that my spellcasters are pretty slow. Is there a way to speed them up(agility accessory,etc.)?

Im still on disk 2, but Im nearing the end(been busy/sick for the last 2 weeks). How do I get the 10+ enemy fight achievement? I know that if I chill by the robot running in circles, dropping enemy robots on the ground at the snow area, I can get it. But there never seems to be enough of them. I stand there, field barrier lv2 on + stink/attract, but as soon as a few fall, they run away and most dissappear. Some stand by, but not enough to get 10 enemy fights at once. Any ideas on how to get it? (also, I stand to the outside of the circle/ring)

soco

false alarm. after about 5 minutes of rubbing the disc, i guess i finally got it aroused or something. still weird though. i'll probably still try to swap it off when i go pick up H3 to be safe.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Masta_Killah said:
Im still on disk 2, but Im nearing the end(been busy/sick for the last 2 weeks). How do I get the 10+ enemy fight achievement? I know that if I chill by the robot running in circles, dropping enemy robots on the ground at the snow area, I can get it. But there never seems to be enough of them. I stand there, field barrier lv2 on + stink/attract, but as soon as a few fall, they run away and most dissappear. Some stand by, but not enough to get 10 enemy fights at once. Any ideas on how to get it? (also, I stand to the outside of the circle/ring)

I used stink but not field barrier. Keep running in between and around a large group and if one of the robots engages you in battle, flee. When you come back to the field area you can't be attacked for a little bit of a time and usually a couple more robots will have moved in. I had to do this three or four times before I eventually got the full 10 in my encounter circle. You get the achievement once you beat all 10 of them.

FafaFooey

Well, I ended up buying the game yesterday after all the positive stories from users on this board. I know I'm still only 2 hours in, which is kind of the honeymoon phase, but it's very enjoyable and fun so far.

NMC2006

Banned
Crazy thing, I have been playing Eternal Sonata since it's launch day and yesterday I decided to pop Blue Dragon back in my 360, so I turn it on and I see that I am next to my air ship and on disc 3 but I have no idea what to do next!! WTF ES!
Anywho I have decided to finish ES before going back to BD because I still have alot to do in BD so I may as well continue my ES journey now and do that next.

yukoner

trmas said:
Alright the game is too easy - thinking about restarting on Hard mode, but need some ideas on building the characters up

It seems that balance is key, with a heavy emphasis on magic

What about buffing the magic users with some good defense? Anyone tried this? I think I will try the following

Shu - SM to lev 3 or so for first set of skills, then run him to BM level 8 for Magic Regen, then back to SM, opening up Generalist, then Monk, then probably Guardian or Assassin last

The mages can trade off between BM and WM, but I'm thinking about throwing in Guardian for the hitpoints instead of Support or Barrier magic until later..

All characters get Generalist as first upgrade... would I get waxed in Hard mode with this strategy?

Probably a better idea to make a couple melee characters Gaurdians, until they get the Total Guard skill, which will protect your party from all attacks.

For magic user, basically you want all magic users to be fully ranked in:
- White (Quick Magic Cast, Resurrection)
- Support (Double-Cast)
- Black (MP+50%)

For melee fighters, I just concentrate on maxing out both Monk, and Sword class. A charged magic sword attack, combined with attack amp (which hits multiple enemies) can be very powerful. You probably want to max out Assassin too, for the double-strike skill.
So, for fighters:
- Monk (Attack Amp, Absolute Counterattack)
- Sword (Magic Sword)
- Assassin (Double-Strike)
- Guardian (HP+50%)

Once you get the Field Barrier 3 skill, you can level up any class you want to 35 fairly quickly, 35 is generally the final skill for that shadow, except Barrier which is LVL 50 for Field Barrier 3.

I played on hard, and early in the game, I would concentrate on mainly building one shadow type, as you will need quite highly ranked shadows in order to beat many of the bosses. I got stuck more than once in this game and had to grind for hours to proceed, so it's pretty tough.

itsme

Banned
EverSoTrendy said:
I wish I could play my copy. It's been sitting on the bench for almost a month. Thanks to MS shitty repair service.
Yesterday, my 360 gave all corrupted screen at bootup. That dropped my hearts to the ground...only a few more days to Halo 3!!! Reboot fixed the issue, but I'm too scared to turn the machine on, now.

Kiyamon

Do is this a Platinum Collection now? I almost bought it the other day, but now I heard this will be Platinum and $29.99 starting in November... true?

SuperPac

Kiyamon said:
Do is this a Platinum Collection now? I almost bought it the other day, but now I heard this will be Platinum and $29.99 starting in November... true?

In Japan, yes.

So, I finally got Field Barrier 3. I've been hanging out at the Laser Field / underground area with all the Kelolons. Are those the best places to get SP? I wanna try and get all my characters up to speed now. They're all just about Level 50 (I'm on Disc 3,
and just got the Mechat
but I hadn't really started concentrating on upping their skill until recently... And I noticed a lot of enemies have started fleeing from my barrier even when I've got Stink on.

Top Bottom