• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

GreekWolf

After only a mere 27 and a half hours of grinding, I FINALLY beat the Poo Poo King and his Golden Robot pal.

WHO'S LAUGHING NOW MY FRIEND? I TOLD U I'D BE BACK YOU ASSHOLE

GreekWolf said:
After only a mere 27 and a half hours of grinding, I FINALLY beat the Poo Poo King and his Golden Robot pal.

:lol :lol :lol

You do know there's an accessory that kills Poos instantly right?

GreekWolf

Brandon F said:
Don't think it works on the Poo King boss...does it?
Sadly, it doesn't. But it did help soften the grind at the Golden Poo island. Also one-hit kills Corrosive Poo and Stinky Poo.

I felt like such a 4th grader playing this game.

JayDubya

Banned
Need some basic leveling-up mechanics tips...

Are your stats completely dependant on your job, ala FFV, or do you get a flat stat boost every time you level up with a given job equipped?

So like, I've got Shu L5 now, and I've got to pick another job, so I'm thinking... Guardian, maybe?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
JayDubya said:
Need some basic leveling-up mechanics tips...

Are your stats completely dependant on your job, ala FFV, or do you get a flat stat boost every time you level up with a given job equipped?

So like, I've got Shu L5 now, and I've got to pick another job, so I'm thinking... Guardian, maybe?

I think your stats increase with both your lvl and job class. So your stats will probably decrease if you change to guardian right now. But as your job class lvls up so will your stats.

It wont take as long either..

Oh btw when you change classes it shows you what your stats will be if you were to change from class to class.

IoCaster

I'm still pretty early into the game. I just started into the Hospital Ruins. I've got the default setup with Shu/Swordmaster, Jiro/White Magik and Kluke/Black Magic. I did switch and level Jiro/Barrier to rank 6 for the lv1 field battier, but I'm not really sure when I should start switching the others over and level Generalist and such. I planned to take them each to level 30 or so in their defaults before switching. Does that sound like a workable plan or would it be too much of a grindfest with weakened characters and tougher mobs?

Ponn

Banned
GreekWolf said:

What level? 99? I beat the dragons but the poo king still owns me.

Llyranor

IoCaster said:
I'm still pretty early into the game. I just started into the Hospital Ruins. I've got the default setup with Shu/Swordmaster, Jiro/White Magik and Kluke/Black Magic. I did switch and level Jiro/Barrier to rank 6 for the lv1 field battier, but I'm not really sure when I should start switching the others over and level Generalist and such. I planned to take them each to level 30 or so in their defaults before switching. Does that sound like a workable plan or would it be too much of a grindfest with weakened characters and tougher mobs?
You should switch classes around, especially since the early levels don't require that much SP. Generalist is especially important since it gives you extra skill slots (which you WILL want) and accessory slots.

Maxxing out one class at a time probably isn't very efficient.

GreekWolf

Ponn01 said:
All characters in the low 80's, though what you'll really need to focus on is your skill set. The recipe for success is to
level your entire party to 33 in White Magic, so that they can all equip the Resurrection skill. The Poo King WILL KILL ALL OF YOU at least once, so Resurrection is an absolute must-have. Also, make sure at least three members of your group level up to 35 or so in Support magic for the Double Cast skill. Would be a good idea for those same three members to also have White Magic and Black Magic equipped, so you can alternate between healing/reviving your party and casting damage spells on the King.

Above all, remember this -
the primary strategy here is to stay alive long enough for your Corporeal skill to kick in during the battle. With as much punishment as he's dishing out, it shouldn't take long. Three or four Corporeal attacks will finish him off.

Once you beat him, don't forget to backtrack to the
ancient factory
where you can take a ride on the first conveyor belt to meet up with the second secret boss. He's actually a bit tougher than the Poo King, IMO.

IoCaster

Llyranor said:
You should switch classes around, especially since the early levels don't require that much SP. Generalist is especially important since it gives you extra skill slots (which you WILL want) and accessory slots.

Maxxing out one class at a time probably isn't very efficient.

I was somewhat concerned about switching classes later on when I met some of the tougher mobs and trying to level them up. I guess it's best to do it now. Thanks.

Sysgen

Ponn01 said:

I was low / mid 50's when I beat him. The key is
your agility (Quickus helps a ton assuming you get to cast it (see agility). so you actually get to make a move. Then all you need is Wallus (helps tremondously against his dark wave). 2 characters should have resurrection (white). Casting previve on chars without resurrection can be important also.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I finished King Poo and Golden Robot at around level 50. Only took a few hours of class grinding to beat them.

You just need
The skill that makes your MP part of your HP so if you take 11k damage with 9999HP/9999MP you still have like 9k left and you can simply heal.

soco

i tried doing it but i wasn't successful, but it'd probably help a lot to chain a few littler poos to King Poo, and use the littler ones to cast your quickus, previve and alll that.

At what point should I start branching out in terms of classes? I've more or less stuck with everyone's base class. I've only deviated to get a couple of abilities.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
DXMachina said:
At what point should I start branching out in terms of classes? I've more or less stuck with everyone's base class. I've only deviated to get a couple of abilities.

Each class pretty much has an extremely useful skill (as far as stat based that you can apply to another class). Like Assasin has speed, Black Mage has MP, White Mage HP etc etc

I just took what Base class I assigned to each character and chose their secondary class accordingly. The General Class is also very.fricken.useful. You get more Skill slots fairly quickly (almost the max at around Class Level 14 or something).

soco

DXMachina said:

i started very early on disc 1, because the generalist things come in super super handy, as do things like having your mages do both black & white magic. (you can live without support and barrier magic a large portion of the game, and probably entirely)

after the added skills, for me, field barrier 1,2, and 3 are the next vital things.

then comes double strike (ninja i think), attack amp, double cast, resurrection, magic sword, and charged attack.

Quazar

Llyranor said:
Er, just start a new game. Then you get to select the difficulty. Or so it was with the HK DLC, IIRC.

Oh yea, I guess new game+ is lvl50+ mode from start? I guess just start new game and choose hard difficulty.

Jirotrom

Llyranor said:
Er, just start a new game. Then you get to select the difficulty. Or so it was with the HK DLC, IIRC.
it didnt give me an option at all...it just said choose English French or Japanese audio. WTH?

Figured it out... it was because i had the japanese packs downloaded.

Quazar

Jirotrom said:
it didnt give me an option at all...it just said choose English French or Japanese audio. WTH?

Figured it out... it was because i had the japanese packs downloaded.

Yea was gonna say does it say "loading content" when you press start.

Also, why is it that these steel eating tigers can one-shot both Shu and Maru Maru? I've been doing well against everything else, but they start the fight with killing them both every time.

NZNova

I see people talking about 9999HP and 9999MP and I boggle at the amount of grinding I'm going to have to do to get there. I just got
Zola back with the mechat
and my characters are around level 40.

I leveled Jiro up to lvl 50 barrier magic to get field barrier 3 and I've been running around the Ancient Factory grinding SP off those keloleon guys in there to level up my shadows. Maro has the highest HP of any of my characters so far and he's on 900 or so. I got the Eyepatch to double my SP gain for one character which is pretty useful. Would be nice to have double SP for everyone though.

I guess now I decide whether to just push on and finish the game or go hardnuts grinding XP and SP to level up a bunch to do these side quests. I tried
Ghost Yeet real quick last night and he whooped my ass, although I didn't go in knowing what to expect so half my time was spent removing petrify D:

Fun game though, I really like it so far. (Even if it is a bit stingy with the gamerpoints...)

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
@NZNova:

With the bari magic 3 & mechat you can gain job lvls fairly quickly. There are some scarecrow looking enemies on the world map to the west of the frozen village. Look for a small wooden hut and just walk around it while stinked, bari 3, and double sp item.

NZNova

How many double SP items are there? I only have one at the moment, the eyepatch. Can I get another 4 for the remaining characters?

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
NZNova said:
How many double SP items are there? I only have one at the moment, the eyepatch. Can I get another 4 for the remaining characters?

I think only 2? Blackbelt and Eyepatch?

Ahh, you can steal blackbelts from corrosive poo(fight, steal, run away, rinse and repeat) in ancient ruins... i didnt know that lol.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
Quazar said:
Yea, you can steal some from mobs as well. I might only have 3, gonna go check.

EDIT: Have 4 and 1 eyepatch

Yeah, i might have bothered to get the achievements had i known that earlier lol.

Quazar

Emenis said:
Yeah, i might have bothered to get the achievements had i known that earlier lol.

I have strategy guide, that's only reason I have those items tbh. As a matter of fact achievement sections and details on monster item carries is only thing I use in it. Games to easy for any type of 'strategy'.(Maps are useful as well)

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Well I am clearly insane. Just completed the game and ALL 1000 ACHIEVEMENT POINTS on a HARD mode playthrough.

The leveling was super tedious, but I just left my 360 on over the weekend while my party just ran in infinite field barrier loops.

Even at max levels, King Poo is vicious. I didn't look up any strategy or hints and barely managed to scrape a victory thanks to several chained corporeal attacks between revives on my first attempt.

Gold Mecha Robo on the other hand...screw that guy. After several failed attempts, I resorted to reading a faq...which then made the fight impossible to lose.

Neat little RPG. Addictive combat, beautiful visuals, great music. Lame plot and characters. Strange how far this game seems to channel Dragon Ball in the lategame hours too, almost reeking of desperation.

Didn't like the optional quests. The several bonus dungeons are boring, bland, dull, basic, and sometimes irritating corridor crawls. If not for achievements I would have just skipped the lot of them.

Opening the world up in Disc 3 was a delight though, suddenly that nearly incomprehensible world map gains context and structure. It's just shocking how a poorly detailed map overlay and a locked camera angle can make the concept of the overworld feel so disconnecting.

Solid, maybe not spectacular, but solid. 8/10

JayDubya

Banned
Any other kind of cheap achievements like the "tap A insanely fast to shut the door in time" ones? I'm gonna have to go back and do that one. Luckily I could just start an easy mode playthrough, skip all the cutscenes, do it, and then it would still count... but if there's another later in the game, that's going to suck.

Also, how should I spend these goddamn medals (I found the merchant for the first time, so I know *where* to spend them), and how many are there in the game total?

I'm kind of agonizing over spending them on anything since the guy runs away. I'm thinking you can raise Shadow (Job) Levels by gaining SP, but you can't raise base character stats, so stat ups would be better... but if you naturally max stats anyway when you're max level, that would make those medal rewards a waste whereas the job level medals would just help you get there faster.

JayDubya

Banned
Also, to get the item achievement, do I actually have to hang on to copies of all 380 and some-odd items, or just acquire them in one playthrough?

This question basically amounts to "can I sell shit or not?"

Sysgen

JayDubya said:
Also, to get the item achievement, do I actually have to hang on to copies of all 380 and some-odd items, or just acquire them in one playthrough?

This question basically amounts to "can I sell shit or not?"

There are a few "cheap" as you call them including one that I can't do.

As recommended by GAF I spent my medals to buy Barrier hearts to help one of my chars get Field Barrier 3. When you have Field Barrier 3 you destroy field enemies with minimal mp cost.

You will have additional chances to meet him so don't worry.

You can sell. The item just has to be in your encylopedia, same with enemies. If you want the item acheivement you best be using the faq or I can pm something later that I used to help you.

JayDubya

Banned
Sysgen said:
There are a few "cheap" as you call them including one that I can't do.

As recommended by GAF I spent my medals to buy Barrier hearts to help one of my chars get Field Barrier 3. When you have Field Barrier 3 you destroy field enemies with minimal mp cost.

You will have additional chances to meet him so don't worry.

You can sell. The item just has to be in your encylopedia, same with enemies. If you want the item acheivement you best be using the faq or I can pm something later that I used to help you.

Yeah, I'm guessing there will probably be some rare items / boss stealables. I just reached L20 on Marumaro and started him on Assassin, so I hope the bosses up until now haven't had rare items to steal. That would suck.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to hold onto my medals for now and then just buy up a bunch of barrier hearts. If I buy them now, I'll be tempted to use them now, when the level ups are relatively cheap in SP cost, rather than later.

PhatSaqs

Banned
This game rulez on Hard mode. Still on disc 1. 22 hours in. The
bosses on Nenes ship are fuckin brutal. Was stuck for a good while on the one with the bombs. Finally got lucky with a well timed wall spell.

Sysgen

What I did for my item and enemy completion endeavor is look at the item and monster faqs @ gamefaqs and just check for the word WARNING. This will tell you all you need to know though be warned that the monster references in the faq have the Japanese references.

Brandon F

JayDubya said:
Any other kind of cheap achievements like the "tap A insanely fast to shut the door in time" ones? I'm gonna have to go back and do that one. Luckily I could just start an easy mode playthrough, skip all the cutscenes, do it, and then it would still count... but if there's another later in the game, that's going to suck.

Also, how should I spend these goddamn medals (I found the merchant for the first time, so I know *where* to spend them), and how many are there in the game total?

I'm kind of agonizing over spending them on anything since the guy runs away. I'm thinking you can raise Shadow (Job) Levels by gaining SP, but you can't raise base character stats, so stat ups would be better... but if you naturally max stats anyway when you're max level, that would make those medal rewards a waste whereas the job level medals would just help you get there faster.

You eventually can complete a sidequest that basically allows you to visit Toripo anytime to turn in medals.

As for medals...If you are hungry for maxing classes, buy up the job items, they -really- help the grind. I wish I dumped most of my medals into those to shave a few hours. (Don't use them until your job levels are 60+ though) As for stat boosters, I'd only really look into Agility boosts, defense, and maybe offense in that order. Agility is priority. period. Don't bother ever with the HP/MP up's. You'll reach that 999 plateau no problem without them.

As for cheap achievements...well all the minigames require some sort of 'perfect' completion. There are two astoundingly annoying button mashing achievements at the disc 2 finale that are probably more difficult than the door one. (One even requires a total reload and a boss fight just to re-attempt upon fail!)

The others require perfects on rail-turret minigames...which I found pretty easy. But those button-mashing ones. EFF YOU!

Brandon F

Oh and yea, if you want the monster/item completion achievements...you will require reading a faq. Some are one-time steals, some monsters require special conditions to uncover, some items are easilly missable by not talking to certain NPC's...etc.

It's god-awful design, but fortunately there aren't TOO many of them to obsess over.

Can you guys offer any tips for defeating the first robot at the end of the first disc on
Nene's Motherhsip
. The one with the guns.

And will I ever get a chance to go back to town and restock my items?

PhatSaqs

Banned
DXMachina said:
Can you guys offer any tips for defeating the first robot at the end of the first disc on
Nene's Motherhsip
. The one with the guns.

And will I ever get a chance to go back to town and restock my items?
They were all a bitch to me but I used Shielda and Quick along with Zephyr for health replenishment. I think I mainly used water magic/sword against it but i'm not sure.
You can't warp off of the ship so.....

I finally finished D1 after a little over 25 hours. Had to grind a couple of levels towards the end but nothing too major.

Top Bottom