• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

PhatSaqs said:
They were all a bitch to me but I used Shielda and Quick along with Zephyr for health replenishment. I think I mainly used water magic/sword against it but i'm not sure.
You can't warp off of the ship so.....

I finally finished D1 after a little over 25 hours. Had to grind a couple of levels towards the end but nothing too major.

What level were you at when you beat those bosses? I have my party around level 21, but those bosses fuck me up.

PhatSaqs

Banned
DXMachina said:
What level were you at when you beat those bosses? I have my party around level 21, but those bosses fuck me up.
I have everyone at 25 I believe. The Barrier Wall spell is another one I found crucial in getting past them. They are all hard.

For the people that have beaten (or at least gone partially through) the extra dungeon in the downloadable content thing for Japan's release, here's my question: is it good, worth it? Assuming US will get this same treatment, I am curious if it's still worth a purchase (that is, if it still costs like 3-5 bucks or however much it was for the Japan scenario). I remember Bebpo saying Eternal Sonata's "bonus" dungeon sucks. How about this one?

Okay so I've been playing this the past couple days. Just got to
the part where Marumaro's medicine doesn't work on the village
. Is this thing gonna get any better? So far I really don't like the characters and Nene is pretty dumb as a bad guy. Marumaro has the most incredibly annoying voice in history, also. Should I keep going or is this game just not for me? It's incredibly dissapointing because the music and graphics are amazing, and the art is (in general) pretty okay. It's just these damn characters are killing it for me.

soco

WHOAguitarninja said:
. Is this thing gonna get any better? So far I really don't like the characters and Nene is pretty dumb as a bad guy. Marumaro has the most incredibly annoying voice in history, also. Should I keep going or is this game just not for me? It's incredibly dissapointing because the music and graphics are amazing, and the art is (in general) pretty okay. It's just these damn characters are killing it for me.

the game certainly gets better. it doesn't really come into its own until the 3rd disc though, but it starts getting better by the end of the disc.

if you can't stand Marumaro or Nene, you'll probably not enjoy it though. what changes do occur, don't really change either of them. the graphics and art do get better though, you've still got some of the most beautiful and detailed towns and villages left to visit.

soco said:
the game certainly gets better. it doesn't really come into its own until the 3rd disc though, but it starts getting better by the end of the disc.

if you can't stand Marumaro or Nene, you'll probably not enjoy it though. what changes do occur, don't really change either of them. the graphics and art do get better though, you've still got some of the most beautiful and detailed towns and villages left to visit.

I'll keep plugging and see if I get used to them. The game looks so god damned good and unique that I want to play just to see the sights..but man...that voice...

Nearly 80 pages in and I'm just now getting my copy from the TRU sale.

4qn9de.jpg

Plus, a $10 copy of Senko from the GS/EB markdown.
Now to dl Hard Mode before I start.

tanod

when is my burrito
So I purchased this game today through the TRU deal but I also rented it because I'm kind of waiting to see how it turns out and if it ends up not being very good, I can exchange my purchased one for another game later. At least that was my plan.

I downloaded the hard mode patch and am playing it that way. I am really enjoying it so far. If I'm still enjoying it after spending a dozen or so more hours with it, I'll probably just end up keeping my purchased copy. It's amazing how the demo does this game such a disservice, but the music was HAWT so I knew it was at least worth checking out.

Like I said, I'm still a bit skeptical of whether I should keep it or not, but I'm starting to lean towards a keep. I really like how you can find hidden shit everywhere and the battle and level up system is well-implemented and fun.

The main issue I have is that the VA/localization is pretty frigging terrible. Also, the main character designs aren't that interesting at all. I'm three hours into the game and I think Shu has said "I'll never give up" 4 times already. :/ It's starting to grate on me.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
WHOAguitarninja said:

Things never really change that much for the better. A few little wrinkles in the narrative make for some inviting gameplay sequences(Discs 2 and 3 have some nice scattered moments), but don't expect the characters or story to ever really break from their mold.

Not to dissuade you from continuing on as the game remains a solid experience and some of the visuals are just astounding. I literally stopped playing here and there a few times just to gaze at the stuff the 360 was outputting on my TV.

soco

WHOAguitarninja said:
I'll keep plugging and see if I get used to them. The game looks so god damned good and unique that I want to play just to see the sights..but man...that voice...

you can switch to say japanese or french (assuming you have the NA copy). that makes it tolerable for some people. i didn't mind the english voice acting. it was dry, but it's video game VA so i'm pretty used to it.

Brandon F

PhatSaqs said:
I have everyone at 25 I believe. The Barrier Wall spell is another one I found crucial in getting past them. They are all hard.

Those disc 1 endbosses were a total bitch on Hard mode. My levels were ~25 as well and I was almost worried I needed to grind more for a chance.

I did love the challenge though, all the bosses have subtle patterns to figure through, and the bomb guy was probably the most challenging for me. Instant kill for every standard atttack, and if I failed to stop his group multi-bomb strike...game over. It was a rush and felt so wonderful getting through it.

Hunahan

Banned
I'm just waiting for the expansion dungeon download to show up...what's taking so long?

Anyone from the JP release try it out? Worth the fiver?

Brandon F said:
Those disc 1 endbosses were a total bitch on Hard mode. My levels were ~25 as well and I was almost worried I needed to grind more for a chance.

I did love the challenge though, all the bosses have subtle patterns to figure through, and the bomb guy was probably the most challenging for me. Instant kill for every standard atttack, and if I failed to stop his group multi-bomb strike...game over. It was a rush and felt so wonderful getting through it.

That's exactly where I am now, and I'm getting totally raped by the same boss. My party are all at level 24 and I'm currently backtracking to see if I missed anything that could give me the slightest edge. I'm starting to think that it might actually be impossible for me to beat this asshole.

PhatSaqs

Banned
PowerSmell said:
That's exactly where I am now, and I'm getting totally raped by the same boss. My party are all at level 24 and I'm currently backtracking to see if I missed anything that could give me the slightest edge. I'm starting to think that it might actually be impossible for me to beat this asshole.
What support/barrier spells do you have? I actually used one of the rooms with the red security lines that drop the paralyzing bots to grind a couple levels. Make no mistake tho they are hard as hell.

I'm doing the same thing now for grinding.
Jiro's at lvl 20 Barrier magic, and I've got Reflect, Shell, Shield, Shielda and Wall.
Support magic spells I have are Slow, Slowa, Sleep, Quick, Deflect, Dizzy, Anchor and Poison.

KingJ2002

to get the achievements and to also beat king poo... every 10 levels i try to beat him only to die... it was said you have to be at level 99 to defeat him.

Hunahan

Banned
KingJ2002 said:
does anyone know how i can get multiple lei's and blackbelts? im really trying to level 99

Doesn't matter. They don't stack anyways. You can't even stack an Eyepatch with a Blackbelt - double is as good as it gets.

Quazar said:
Where are you people leveling to get 99?

Rather than grinding, I just restarted a New Game+ on impossible difficulty.

I just field barrier'd my way through the first disk, then played normally until the end. I wound up just a few levels under 99, did a couple extra fights, and shabang.

Lot more fun than just running in circles.

KingJ2002

Hunahan said:
Doesn't matter. They don't stack anyways. You can't even stack an Eyepatch with a Blackbelt - double is as good as it gets.

the lei gives you 50% more experience points while the blackbelt gives you double sp... it would make grinding easy if i can have every character equip both... but i already beat corrosive poo and cant seem to find either one in the game anymore.

Generalist 15 for everyone should open things up a bit. I've got a nice balanced class attack going.

I'm still only about 15 or so hours into hard mode, but I was wondering how many of you beat that and then replayed on impossible. What are the differences as far as challenges and rewards?

Evlar

Banned
I bought the game today, played for about an hour and a half and thought "Damn, this is pretty easy..." And THEN I remembered to look for the Hard Mode patch.

So the question is... Should I restart on Hard or Impossible? I'm an RPG vet and I don't mind a challenge, but I'd rather not grind for twenty hours if I can avoid it.

JayDubya

Banned
Hard Mode is still too easy, meaning normal mode would have been pointlessly easy, as I had feared... but impossible is just that unless doing a new game +. So I'd say yes.

Hunahan

Banned
KingJ2002 said:
the lei gives you 50% more experience points while the blackbelt gives you double sp... it would make grinding easy if i can have every character equip both... but i already beat corrosive poo and cant seem to find either one in the game anymore.

Oh. I thought you wanted two per character - hence "they don't stack."

Yeah, you can only get three Lei's (that I know of), but you can also pick up an Eyepatch (Dude in the 3rd Sheep Camp area needs a letter of some sort - it's in the sanddune area with the crystal spikes in a random chest) which accomplishes the same thing as a Blackbelt if you haven't already.

Three Lei locations:

1. Upper Mecha Robo Base

2. Steal from the Moody Dragon

3. Get 1400 Nothings and talk to the Nothing Man

If you're trying to get the Lei's/Blackbelts to get up to level 99/etc achievements, you can always do a New Game+ and jet your way back to the Lei's with Field Barrier....you'll keep everything you currently have, making a total of 6 Lei's, etc...

Hard Mode with the original voices is the only way to go.

I just made it to Jibral Castle and I've had a great time playing all the way. This game really is a quality effort.

For anyone who has just started or still somewhat early on in the quest I can't stress enough how helpful it is to have at least one party member set with Double Item skill. I've done almost zero grinding so my levels are moderate. Double Item has saved me from certain death more than once.

Man, the two mega bosses ARE quite tough. I think I'll get them tonight.

I kind of wish that the downloadable new dungeon would be available on Xbox Live, though. Didn't it come out just a few months after the Japanese release? It should come over here pretty soon then....=\...it's not like there's much at all to translate.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I'm on the 2nd disc now
Nene just took Kluke over that ravine in the snow
This is a great game.

Brandon F

FateBreaker said:
Man, the two mega bosses ARE quite tough. I think I'll get them tonight.

There is a stupidly easy strategy to take them down, read ahead if interested...but really you should try on your own a few times first....
rope in a lesser enemy nearby along with the uber bosses and spend the entirety of that first dumb fight buffing up. Quickus, Magic UP, Shieldus, Previve, etc... when ready, kill the lesser foes and begin the uber-boss battle. Just spam spells like Flare 3 with everyone and heal as necessary(I'd recommend setting jobs to the most magic efficient classes, likely barrier class). Doing so I took down Gold Mecha Robo without him even claiming a single death on my party...on Hard mode. I did kill King Poo on my own which was a pain in the arse and mostly required lots of corporeal summons and lucky revives, but I assume this strategy would have made the fight as stupidly easy)

Brandon F said:
There is a stupidly easy strategy to take them down, read ahead if interested...but really you should try on your own a few times first....
rope in a lesser enemy nearby along with the uber bosses and spend the entirety of that first dumb fight buffing up. Quickus, Magic UP, Shieldus, Previve, etc... when ready, kill the lesser foes and begin the uber-boss battle. Just spam spells like Flare 3 with everyone and heal as necessary(I'd recommend setting jobs to the most magic efficient classes, likely barrier class). Doing so I took down Gold Mecha Robo without him even claiming a single death on my party...on Hard mode. I did kill King Poo on my own which was a pain in the arse and mostly required lots of corporeal summons and lucky revives, but I assume this strategy would have made the fight as stupidly easy)

Indeed, that is the trick. They were a bit tough, but with that, they're quite cinchy. Thanks for the tips.

tanod

when is my burrito
I ended up taking back the game to exchange for Folklore.

I was playing it on hard mode. So here's some of my pros and cons and things of note on the game after putting about 5 hours into it. Got to the underground hospital.

-Loved the music (Eternity was a cheasy but eerily catchy song)
-Loved how you find little trinkets and items everywhere but it also gets annoying when there is treasure in absolutely EVERY nook and cranny. It frustrates me that I might miss some really cool equipment or EXP. It should have an item index to help you keep track of the treasures you find.
-Liked how the class and accessory and spell systems are set up.
-The charge is also a neat concept but I think it needed a bit of tuning (inconsistent and unintuitive timing). I have great timing skills but if I can't get the sweet spot timing down 100% of the time 5 hours into the game, there's something wrong with the game design.
-There's a bit of lag between selection of commands and the action and also between turns.
-Gaining a level didn't really seem to give me much of a tangible benefit and with all the little niggles I have with the battle system, leveling became tedious.
-I had to use a lot of strategy for the boss battles, which I liked, but they were incredibly difficult and I died MANY times trying to get it right.
-Check points are a real nice addition for that reason but ultimately, it took a few too many times to figure out exactly what I needed to do to survive a boss battle. I don't know if it's because I was under-leveled (it's not like I skipped a bunch of enemies) or that they were extremely unbalanced, but it became really frustrating after awhile.
-The main character art is really bland. The costume design is about as basic as they could possibly be.
-Technically, the graphics are really good. Nice special effects too.
-Localization (script, dialogue and VA) is bad. It's just bad. Nene's voice actor is probably the only one I liked. I have a pretty high tolerance for mediocre VA performances. It's just a boring script compounded with even more boring deliveries.

This sounds pretty harsh but it is a decent game. There are a just a lot of flaws that end up marring the entire experience for me. That being said, I think I still might come back to it and purchase it when it gets down to a cheaper price.

I just hope Lost Odyssey gets a little more polish.

PG2G

You do know you could have played with Japanese voices, right?

Anyway, anyone else annoyed by how you can play through the whole damn game and get damn near nothing for achievements?

duckroll

PG2G said:

If this was a Japanese release, I can see your point. But as it is a US release, I think standards should be higher and people should expect good localizations. Dual language is NOT an excuse for a shitty localization. If you don't understand Japanese, I don't see how "better" Japanese voices would make much of a difference.

Sysgen

duckroll said:
If this was a Japanese release, I can see your point. But as it is a US release, I think standards should be higher and people should expect good localizations. Dual language is NOT an excuse for a shitty localization. If you don't understand Japanese, I don't see how "better" Japanese voices would make much of a difference.

They make a difference becuase they provide an alternative, thouigh it's no excuse for crappy localized vo. Personally I never heard the BD english vo becuase I just prefer using the Japanese ones. Gives more authenticty to the game I'm playing or the movie I'm watching.

MCD

duckroll said:

Here is hoping LO gets a better US localizations.

Brandon F

PG2G said:

Anyway, anyone else annoyed by how you can play through the whole damn game and get damn near nothing for achievements?

Yea, the achievements are really tied to some really tedious tasks. FFXII had a more inviting set of achievements.

trmas

Banned
Playing through the game slowly on hard mode; I do have a life so that I only get a few hours of playtime a week. Hard mode is just that; it requires you to think about what you are doing, and it takes FOREVER to take down some of those bosses. Without the sleep spell, I'd have been absolutely screwed against the tigers in disk one. Support magic actually becomes necessary. And the barrier magic is vital as well to keep from losing the tanking characters in one hit.

Found that for the first disk, nothing beats a spell caster. Shu has barrier magic almost exclusively, allowing me to balance Jiro between black and white magic (mainly white), Kluke a black mage/support mage, and Maro as a sword master (better defense than the monk, including magical). This allows me to tank both Maro and Shu with surprisingly good stats, and deal massive damage with the spell casters. It's really the only way I've found to get through the first disk on hard without any real grinding.

I love this game. This and Mass Effect will monopolize my gaming time for the next six months or more.

Diablos

Started last night. I'm about four or so hours in, at the
Ancient Hospital Ruins

Very pleased with this game so far. Fun battle system, lots of exploration, likable characters, great music, and good voice acting (compared to ES anyway!)

Diablos said:
Ancient Hospital Ruins

Very pleased with this game so far. Fun battle system, lots of exploration, likable characters, great music, and good voice acting (compared to ES anyway!)

Glad to see people still interested in the game.

Diablos

It's so awesome. Quite a shame that it's not getting much attention. It did get pretty mediocre reviews, though. I bet you that if Square-Enix published this, and it was exactly the same, it would get awesome reviews.

This could have definitely been a Final Fantasy before it got all Gackt'd up. Seriously, I could have seen Sakaguchi making something like this after FFIX if he was still calling all the shots.

It seems to take a lot from the older FF's (FFIV and V especially) and modernizes it.

Aaron

I admit the poor reviews initially kept me away, but I bought as part of the Toys R US 2 for 1, and its just an amazing experience so far. So lovely, delightful, fun, and polished... I really don't understand how people can slam this. I really don't.

Diablos

The 1up review I especially found to be ridiculous. They spent like two paragraphs bitching about the character designs. I hate DBZ but I find the character designs in this game to be great.

SO WHAT if the story isn't super involved and the gameplay is nothing groundbreaking? It's basically an updated traditional jrpg as the way you encounter enemies in the field is vastly superior. I like how you can see everything, and also pick a group of enemies for even longer battles, as well as equip a skill so you don't have to waste time fighting enemies that have low levels. Nobody seems to praise these ideas at all, but they're great, and somehow it still feels like a traditional jrpg -- just updated. FFXII should have been like this.

Also, who cares if the story isn't really all that sophisticated (at all)? Dragon Quest games aren't, and nobody cares. BD is really no different. After playing Eternal Sonata, which tried to be ten different things at the same time, it's nice to know Blue Dragon won't be attempting any of that confusing storytelling.

There's also a deep sense of exploration in this game that I haven't experienced in a long, long time.

All the hate this game gets is ridiculous.

On the third disc now... just sorted
the ice village
and I'm just wandering around
opening barriers
. Good fun... will attempt to read the whole thread when I'm done. :D

duckroll

McDragon said:
Here is hoping LO gets a better US localizations.

Oh, the LO localization should be great. Considering how the visual director is American, and the official spoken language is English, and the cutscenes are all lipsynced to that track, it should be solid.

tanod

when is my burrito
duckroll said:
Oh, the LO localization should be great. Considering how the visual director is American, and the official spoken language is English, and the cutscenes are all lipsynced to that track, it should be solid.

That's really good to know.

BitchTits

Diablos said:
Ancient Hospital Ruins

Same here, I just reached
Marumaro's village, which is just after
and I liked it upto this point, but it wasn't until the cutscenes I really started to get into it fully. I love the design of this town.

I'm using the Japanese VO too, and it's great to have the option. The game is just like Dragon Quest, which suits me fine.

Top Bottom