• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Dragon (Xbox360) |OT|

Diablos

Oh yeah, well beyond that, now fighting
red face dude
This final dungeon is insane. The way it's planned... it's confusing as hell.

Diablos

I'm completely stuck for the first time in this game.
How do I get the platforms to slide to the door in the middle of the room?

Diablos said:
I'm completely stuck for the first time in this game.
How do I get the platforms to slide to the door in the middle of the room?

you press buttons. the "final button" to make it all connect should be right after those face boss dudes, if i recall.

edit: by the way, i absolutely loved this dungeon. why weren't more like this?

SuperPac

So I've gotten back into Blue Dragon after taking a break from it while the other games of the fall came out. All my characters are above Level 60. I'm on Disc 3 and just doing sidequests to kill a little time and gain some levels. One of the only ones left is
in the north east part of the map, where there's a lone house in a snowy area.
Can't figure out what to do there. I've wandered all around but nothing seems to trigger an event except for the
mailbox.

The_Dude

I'm nearing the end now, I wanted to at least complete the monster record, but, damn, I failed some of the optional boss fights so fast it was embarassing! Most of my characters are around level 57/58, I'm not sure I have it in me to grind too much more.

Also, has anyone managed to get 1000GP? There's a few achievements for things I wanted to do anyway, but some of them would be so tedious I can't imagine having the patience to get them all.

SuperPac said:
So I've gotten back into Blue Dragon after taking a break from it while the other games of the fall came out. All my characters are above Level 60. I'm on Disc 3 and just doing sidequests to kill a little time and gain some levels. One of the only ones left is
in the north east part of the map, where there's a lone house in a snowy area.
Can't figure out what to do there. I've wandered all around but nothing seems to trigger an event except for the
mailbox.
There's an underground entrance around the back of the plateau.

SuperPac

Just got past the third Mechat section at the end of the game. Did the sidequests before diving into the last area and I gotta say... some of those are the better parts of the game. They really should've peppered those throughout instead of just leaving it for the very end.

PC Gaijin

Finished the game awhile back, and I have to say I was disappointed with it given the pedigrees of the people behind it. However, I decided to plug away at some of the achievements today. Lots of grindy stuff in the achievements list that I'll probably never get, but I have a question about the barrier achievement.

Is there anything special I need to do to unlock this achievement other than removing all the barriers? I spent the better part of today removing all of them, and the fortuneteller in the sheep camp says there are no more barriers left, yet I didn't get the achievement. Am I screwed? If I got boned out of this achievement, which was a PITA to get, my opinion of the game is going to plummet even lower. :lol

PC Gaijin said:
Is there anything special I need to do to unlock this achievement other than removing all the barriers? I spent the better part of today removing all of them, and the fortuneteller in the sheep camp says there are no more barriers left, yet I didn't get the achievement. Am I screwed? If I got boned out of this achievement, which was a PITA to get, my opinion of the game is going to plummet even lower. :lol
The fortune teller only tells you about the chest barriers, not the wall barriers.

PC Gaijin

Psychotext said:
The fortune teller only tells you about the chest barriers, not the wall barriers.

Thanks for the info! Guess I'll try for a couple more achievements then.

Another question that's probably already been asked: the DLC was free in Japan, correct? If I use a Japanese account, can I still download that for free and use it with my North American save files and US gamertag?

Synless

Ok I just bought this game for 9 dollars and before I start is there any tips you guys have for me or things that I should be looking for in the game???

Nolan.

Synless said:
Ok I just bought this game for 9 dollars and before I start is there any tips you guys have for me or things that I should be looking for in the game???

Read the manual thats no joke, specifically to see what classes interests you most.

Synless

Wow, talk about the worst boss music in the history of RPG's seriously does this play everytime throughout the rest of the game??????

Synless said:
Wow, talk about the worst boss music in the history of RPG's seriously does this play everytime throughout the rest of the game??????
You learn to love it. That or you'll stab out your own eardrums. Both good. :lol

The_Dude

Just finished this yesterday, overall I thought it was excellent, even though it doesn't really do anything I haven't seen in other RPGs aside from look beautiful in HD.

A little advice to those who haven't finished it yet; if you want the end of the game to be remotely challenging, don't get strong enough to beat King Poo and Gold Mecha Robo first! For those that finished it,
I was so powerful by the time I fought Nene that he didn't get a single turn as Ultimate Nene and Destroy got a grand total of one attack in, which did around 80HP of damage. I only did less than an hour of grinding, too, only one of my characters were over level 90 and none had any classes more than level 47.

Great stuff, anyway, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how Lost Odyssey turns out.

JayDubya

Banned
I just want to say, Blizzard Dragon on Hard mode was one helluva kickass fight.

Hard mode has mostly been too easy (mostly - those tigers before Jibral Castle would kill me with one hit everytime :lol), so I'm thinking without the mod I never would have enjoyed this game at all.

So... achievements. Going for the all jobs L99 one. Fun. :lol

Any way to do this faster than to equip eyepatch + 4 black belts, use Field Barrier 3, and eat a Garlic outside Kelaso village, then kill a bazillion Phantom Pelicans?

Synless said:

I'm afraid I can't hear you over all the awesome that is Eternity.

Also, wow @ $9. I got it for $40 and was quite happy with that.

JayDubya said:
Any way to do this faster than to equip eyepatch + 4 black belts, use Field Barrier 3, and eat a Garlic outside Kelaso village, then kill a bazillion Phantom Pelicans?
Nope, but then at least you don't have to babysit it whilst it's going on.

JayDubya

Banned
Psychotext said:
Nope, but then at least you don't have to babysit it whilst it's going on.

Well it's faster to run at them, but it's also fairly mindnumbing. For the sake of getting done before Mass Effect hits and minimizing battery use / risk of overheating the sonuvabitch shoddy hardware that might RROD on me before the machine fulfills its sole purpose and destiny (i.e. run Mass Effect), I may keep babysitting. >_>

You pretty much get 1 class from ~30=>99 in about 30-40 minutes. 9 classes though. :lol

JayDubya said:
You pretty much get 1 class from ~30=>99 in about 30-40 minutes. 9 classes though. :lol
Yeah, I just left mine on while I was doing other things; didn't take too long. There's no way I would have had the patience to sit there. :D

So theres new DLC up for Blue Dragon, I assume no one has bought it yet?

MajorNelson said:
Title: Blue Dragon

Content: Shuffle Dungeon
Price: 400 Microsoft Points
Availability: Not available in Japan
Dash Text: [ESRB: T (Teen) ALCOHOL REFERENCE,CRUDE HUMOR,FANTASY VIOLENCE,MILD LANGUAGE,MILD SUGGESTIVE THEMES] Shuffle Dungeon has arrived! This new content features a mysterious dungeon that changes every time you enter. Along with more than 30 new items, powerful monsters, and more than 10 new hard-to-beat bosses, there are certainly some challenges in store for you! Are you up for it? (Recommended Starting Level: 50 or higher. Supports Hard and Impossible game modes.) Note that you will need to be near the end of the game, and have saved that game, in order to enter a Warp Cube to Shuffle Dungeon. © 2007 BIRD STUDIO / MISTWALKER, INC. All Rights Reserved. © 2007 Microsoft Corporation. All Rights Reserved. BLUE DRAGON contains AT&T Natural Voices® Text to Speech technology licensed from Wizzard Software Corporation. Microsoft, the Microsoft Game Studios logo, Blue Dragon, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox LIVE and the Xbox logos are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies.

I'm tempted to pick it up since I love BD, but between TF2 and several games in my backlog (along with Mass Effect this Tuesday) I wont really have the time for it. Unless its really awesome.

Synless

JayDubya said:

Hard mode has mostly been too easy (mostly - those tigers before Jibral Castle would kill me with one hit everytime :lol), so I'm thinking without the mod I never would have enjoyed this game at all.

I'm afraid I can't hear you over all the awesome that is Eternity.

Also, wow @ $9. I got it for $40 and was quite happy with that.

Yea i was more then happy to get it for the price I got it for, now a better question what is this "mod" you speak of???

Sule

I've control-f'ed the last 10 pages for ''PC'' and haven't seen this question, so I hope somebody can/will answer my question. How big is the chance for a Blue Dragon PC-port? I don't own a 360 but everything I've read and seen makes me want this game. PC just got a Viva Pinata port and I was hoping maybe ms would also consider releasing a port of Blue dragon. Any signs pointing to this happening?

JayDubya

Banned
Psychotext said:
Free DLC for the game. Lets you play in Hard / Impossible mode.

The game is pointlessly easy without it.

Imagine if you could beat Dragon Lord in the original DQ handily at like, L10. Like, that kind of easy.

Synless

JayDubya said:
The game is pointlessly easy without it.

Imagine if you could beat Dragon Lord in the original DQ handily at like, L10. Like, that kind of easy.
lol, it's that bad eh? Then yea I'm for sure getting impossible mode then.

Do you need to start a new game to enter Hard mode?

I'm about ten hours in and I need to get to Gul Mountains. My team is around level 18. So far, this has been one slow starting and pretty vanilla JRPG. Its starting to get good but the early writing is just grade school-ish. Other than that, it is one freaking well polished game.

Does the music and some of the sound effects remind anyone of Zelda? I kept thinking the whole time.................what if Nintendo had gotten ahold of Artoon and Mistwalker to make a Zelda game?

The music (aside from the boss battles) is one of the best game soundtracks I have ever heard.

The game is starting to grow on me but clearly Artoon/Mistwalker needed to do a better job of drawing you in and perhaps upping the difficulty a bit. The underlying game is solid in all respects and is a nice spin (with new additions) on an old formula. I just hope the next two discs pick it up story wise.

Also, does my party gain any new members?

typhonsentra said:
I made the mistake of doing most of the optional quests before the final boss, poor thing wasn't even able to show off his super move. :(
Same. I killed King Poo and Gold Mecha Robo before the final boss... I ate him alive. :lol

JayDubya

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Do you need to start a new game to enter Hard mode?

I believe so, yes.

I'm about ten hours in and I need to get to Gul Mountains. My team is around level 18. So far, this has been one slow starting and pretty vanilla JRPG. Its starting to get good but the early writing is just grade school-ish. Other than that, it is one freaking well polished game.

The story has its moments, but it generally is not the highlight of the game. The overall presentation is amazing, but the story is nothing that will rock the boat. The end of the game is kind of neat and off-the-wall, though.

The music (aside from the boss battles) is one of the best game soundtracks I have ever heard.

I love Eternity, so the whole soundtrack is aces in my book.

The game is starting to grow on me but clearly Artoon/Mistwalker needed to do a better job of drawing you in and perhaps upping the difficulty a bit. The underlying game is solid in all respects and is a nice spin (with new additions) on an old formula. I just hope the next two discs pick it up story wise.

Boss fights in hard mode (without excessive level grinding) are intense and worthy challenges.

Also, does my party gain any new members?

One more. 5 party member maximum, no rotations. So it's back to that great FFIV upper limit, but without the cool constant rotation that FFIV had.

iconoclast said:
So theres new DLC up for Blue Dragon, I assume no one has bought it yet?

I'm tempted to pick it up since I love BD, but between TF2 and several games in my backlog (along with Mass Effect this Tuesday) I wont really have the time for it. Unless its really awesome.

I'm interested in this.

Someone go get it?

gunstarhero

I'm getting my assed handed to me by Silent Chu! I'm plaing in Hard Mode and my characters are all around level 20-22.

Any tips? (besides "stop sucking" :/ )

K' Dash

I just bought the game, I started it yesterday in the default dificulty, is there a way to change the dificulty to hard (the one that's on the marketplace) without restarting the game?, I'm only 3 hours in, so if I have to start agian better be now.

Bleeders

I've yet to try the Hard/Impossible modes, but I've maxed out all of my characters and job classes and the final boss didn't land a single-hit, so I'm hoping for more of a fight next-time. :D

Hunahan

Banned
FateBreaker said:
I'm interested in this.

Someone go get it?

Yeah, I picked it up, but I only had time to play a little bit so far.

So far, and this is only sort of the first few rooms of the dungeon, it's just palette-swapped enemies that have a little gimmick to them (such as bears that regain health if you cast the same element two times in a row, etc) and extremely high stats.

I took a fully maxed-out party of level 99 characters in, and found these fights to take an extremely long time, with multiple character downs, and often basically coming down to breaking corporeals to win. Many attacks would do more than maximum health damage, so you're going to die quite a bit.

Of course, it could be that they simply scale based on your party level - I'm not sure - but it seems to me like this is supposed to be extremely high-level gaming...

The dungeon itself is just a generic cave, nothing really to it. Also, there are these sort of "puzzle" doors that ask you a question and you have to select an answer, though you have to "find" the answers first by searching nearby items. Problem for me seemed to be that I didn't have the right answer to open any of the doors, and couldn't find any more after searching everywhere available to me - although the possibility exists that I just wasn't doing it right since I was very tired when trying it out.

All in all, from my limited experience so far, it's pretty disappointing for pay content, but I'll definitely try it again at some point, and hopefully have a little bit better of luck at finding something actually new in here.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
JayDubya said:

I found a few other great methods.

-Go to the island of poo snakes(the big one that has ridiculous spawns of multi-poos, next to the golden poo snake island). Turn on your force barrier and go nuts netting lots of 1/2 SP kills...until you see a platinum snake! Rope in the plat snake with :any: other snake type into a REAL BATTLE. Kill the first easy non-plat group, and then let the plat snake -RUN AWAY- when it comes to it's turn. There is a weird glitch that gives you double or triple SP for doing so(Plat snake is worth 20SP...boosted to 40+ for this glitch for a measly 5 second fight). This method demands babysitting, but the rewards are nice. I got all 1000 achievements, and much of my time was spent on this island doing just this.

-For XP boosting, go to the Ancient Forest Ruins and kill the Zebra Poo snakes that inhabit the first couple small areas near the entrance. They are worth big xp, especially roped up into groupings. You have to run out of the dungeon to respawn them though, but they are pretty close to the entrance.

Mr Spliff

Wassup gaffers? So i've tried following this thread and there seems to be some positive impressions of this game. I'm trying to decide between this and Eternal Sonata as I would like to add another RPG to my collection (yes, I have Mass Effect).

I'm not a huge JRPG fan, haven't played very many of them so I'm not over-exposed to the genre, but I do like turn based combat and lots of customization. I like the early Final Fantasy games (beat FF 2 twice, really liked it), which is why I'm drawn to this title, and I played the first 30min and liked it, music especially. I've only played the Eternal Sonata demo but the impressions I've got is that it is preachy, cut scenes too long and not a lot of variety in enemies but has a good story and excellent music. However, I haven't played the full game so I'm open to suggestions.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me make an informed decision as I only want to get one of them and opinions here > reviews :D . Thanks!

Mr Spliff said:
Wassup gaffers? So i've tried following this thread and there seems to be some positive impressions of this game. I'm trying to decide between this and Eternal Sonata as I would like to add another RPG to my collection (yes, I have Mass Effect).

I'm not a huge JRPG fan, haven't played very many of them so I'm not over-exposed to the genre, but I do like turn based combat and lots of customization. I like the early Final Fantasy games (beat FF 2 twice, really liked it), which is why I'm drawn to this title, and I played the first 30min and liked it, music especially. I've only played the Eternal Sonata demo but the impressions I've got is that it is preachy, cut scenes too long and not a lot of variety in enemies but has a good story and excellent music. However, I haven't played the full game so I'm open to suggestions.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could help me make an informed decision as I only want to get one of them and opinions here > reviews :D . Thanks!

I can't tell you about ES but I can assure you that Blue Dragon is a fantastic, charming, and fun game. Classic battle system, phenomenal graphics, great music and a story that's simple but surprisingly engaging. And just exceptional character and monster design.

I've beaten both, and Blue Dragon is by far the superior game. Eternal Sonata may win in its art direction and maybe musical score, but as far as gameplay, story/characters and graphics are concerned, ES is no match. To be honest, the story in both games are on the weak side, but Eternal Sonata's is just a freakin' trainwreck...at least BD's is simple and makes sense.

I would go with BD, personally. Oh, and Blue Dragon took me about 45-50 hours with doing everything and ES took me 18.

Mr Spliff

Thanks for the impressions so far! It looks like my gut is right about going with BD. Please keep posting any advice as I haven't gone out to buy either just yet, it's really appreciated!

Aaron

K' Dash said:
I just bought the game, I started it yesterday in the default dificulty, is there a way to change the dificulty to hard (the one that's on the marketplace) without restarting the game?, I'm only 3 hours in, so if I have to start agian better be now.
You have to restart, but it's a new game+ so you keep all the levels and stuff you've earned so far. You'll also fly through that time in like an hour anyway since you can skip all the cut-scenes.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I've also not played ES, but Blue Dragon was a nice jRPG. The combat and customization remained inviting throughout, many of the bosses had some very cool attack parameters, and the world is varied in design. I couldn't really care less about the plot and characters(the ending especially felt really limp to me), but the game is so nice looking(one of the final areas in the game is probably one of the prettiest pieces of technical wizardry I've seen on the 360), and the dungeons are mostly engaging.

I came in with medium expectations, and ended up absorbed enough to earn all 1000 achievements.

Llyranor

Finished disc 2, just at the very beginning of 3. Clocked about 45 hrs so far.

The game has been loads of fun. Occasionally, it's felt like I've been spending too much time in dungeons, but once I've been using field barriers, I've had literally zero grind (kill each new enemy once, but decimate them by mere touch with a field barrier ^___^). It's brilliant, and I'll miss that feature (and no random encounters) in Lost Odyssey - which this game has convinced me to pick up at full price in support of Mistwalker.

The battle system doesn't break any major ground, but it's been very enjoyable. The job system is well implemented. The best feature in the game is the hard mode. Every JRPG should have this, and hopefully LO will as well. I wouldn't love this game nearly as much were it not for this. The last
"hour"
of disc2 was pretty awesome. The boss battles were incredibly challenging (especially the
4 bots, which caused me as much of a headache at the end of disc1
), at times requiring me to radically change around my character builds and modify my overall strategy completely after I got easily wiped out a few times. Seriously, hard mode MAKES this game.

Music is good, graphics are impressive. Framerate is fine; I'm not going to whine about trivial drops in battle. Story is irrelevant/lighthearted, but it and the characters have a certain charm to them that I find fairly endearing. Japanese VA is a big plus. Everyone JRPG should have this feature.

If you like JRPGs (particularly old school ones), I can't disrecommend this.

eibboR

Banned
I'm going home for the holidays and my mom doesn't have internet at her place. With that said, I'm in need of a single player game for the holiday seasons and was looking at renting this from Gamefly. Is it a good choice? I've read quite a bit about it, but I'm still on the fence. Hell I'll probably go for it anyways, I like having more games under my belt :lol.

Top Bottom